May 07, 2024, 11:49:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 ... 33330 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373389 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:28:27 PM

Coinseeker, do you want cheap coins? Buy now, and if you're really greedy you can still have some fiat on the exchange in case we are all lucky and another Dwolla-like situation provokes some panic among noobs and hence a flash crash.

Wake up man, the train is leaving the station.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 02:28:30 PM

Anyway, give this time. The AOL CD's (BTC wallets and services) are just getting started. Regardless of how well BTC does, we are more than likely going to see some very interesting innovations in the next 6 - 12 months. I mean, I am no longer an IT expert, many years removed but I was able to figure out how use most of the BTC tools and such.

Sorry, AOL CD?

Remember in the early days of the internet how those damn AOL cd's were all over the place? Many of us IT "geeks" hated them and thought it was a waste. Who needed that to connect? Just put your information in manually and then connect to the internet. I remember laughing that AOL stock was $5, man that wasn't worth it. Anyway, I called Amazon, Ebay and a host of other internet companies correctly, but I missed the one right in front of my nose due to my tech conditioning.

Well now, the wallets and much of the BTC technology is a bit non user friendly - quite rough around the edges for non computer people. The analogy here is that we are just getting started and perhaps some of the die hard BTC people don't see how we need "AOL CD" like things to make this journey easier for us.

That said, we are quite close to that. IT is not rocket science to make better wallets (e.g. - easily scan and import your private key and BTC's, not have to download the whole 7Gb of data with the standard client, etc.)

Ah, those CDs. Cheesy Yeah, that's right. People are really trying hard. Almost everyday you have at least one thread on reddit about new offline wallets, generators or whatever. I'm still waiting for something revolutionary. Ref thin clients: check out Electrum.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:29:07 PM

Seems the love of money does trump hardcore principles after all.  Hmmm....imagine that.

I don't think anyone seriously ever believed that, did they?

Anyway, I went through the poker stuff years ago and the adult biz before that. The government rattles it's sabers and takes down a few big players and then moves on to something else. They will never stop people from doing the things they want to do, they just make it require a little more creativity, e.g. US residents are still playing online poker.

That said, knowing what a hard on the Feds have for online gambling, I can't believe evoorhees has been so public about his ownership of that site. Seems reckless.

All of this is interesting for those of us trading, but I don't think it has anything to do with the success of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is not poker.  Poker does not require mass adoption.  Bitcoin is a currency commodity and thus requires mass adoption to be successful and actually become a real currency.  This is going to be the easiest takedown in the history of the USG.  Once Bitcoin is carved in the minds of Americans as illegal, risky, funding of terrorism, etc...the brand is dead.  The same business' that may currently be considering adoption will flee forever.  And don't let a real terror organization get linked to Bitcoin.  It will be unpatriotic to support Bitcoin, in the minds of Americans.

Money is mass adopted already. There is a HUGE need for quicker and cheaper transactions. There is a huge need for a cheaper paypal and a way of sending money Western Union style but easier and cheaper. There are so many opportunities.

You see, we don't even need mass adoption to be successful. We need less than 1% adoption. We are at a fraction of a percentage as is and the price is already over $100 a share. That is not a coincidence. It is not a coincidence that some big VC's are saying BTC is HUGE. We can see, you can only fear...

Further, this isn't about America. There is the rest of the world. It would be easier to go at it with America, but certainly we don't have to.

Where do you get off on the bull statements time and time again you manipulator you? Most money laundering and drug trades occur in dollars, not bitcoins. The money laundering occurs via big big banks as it is in the billions of dollars. Bitcoin is not in that arena.

People can see you as a phony because you are so one sided and non stop at that. But that is ok, everyone needs help at times.
There is a reason we are already quite successful, you might want to spend some of your time there as well and not make your one sided attacks so obvious.

The truth about VC's is most of them are morons.  They throw other peoples money around and just hope something sticks.  So, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the pocket change that's come in so far.  If they really thought it was "HUGE", you'd see $100 million to $1 Billion plus coming in.  We're no where near those numbers as VC's are accountable to their investors so it actually speaks to their reluctance more than their bullishness.  

Maybe this is just the arrogant American in me but, without America, Bitcoin is little more than frequent flyer miles.  We set the trends, we say what's hot and what's not.  Russia?  When's the last time anything "cool" ever came out of Russia besides snow?   Grin  

We don't need Bitcoin, Bitcoin needs us and with Ripple, it's going to all be possible.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:29:41 PM

Once Bitcoin is carved in the minds of Americans as illegal, risky, funding of terrorism, etc...the brand is dead.

This is an exaggeration of recent events at best, which relate to one company's (completely avoidable, most likely) issue with a regulator. As for Satoshi Dice, that has been reckless for an American to own all along.  It has nothing to do with Bitcoin.

Connecting these events to a government plot to tie BTC to terrorism is an example of rhetorical gymnastics worthy of McKayla Maroney.

And thats all it takes.  Perception is reality.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2120

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:30:42 PM

Sorry guys, not sure what's up with ChartBuddy. Oddly, I can't get connected to see what's up either so I'm not sure how he is able to post.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:37:51 PM

Bitcoin is not poker.  Poker does not require mass adoption.  Bitcoin is a currency commodity and thus requires mass adoption to be successful and actually become a real currency.  This is going to be the easiest takedown in the history of the USG.  Once Bitcoin is carved in the minds of Americans as illegal, risky, funding of terrorism, etc...the brand is dead.  The same business' that may currently be considering adoption will flee forever.  And don't let a real terror organization get linked to Bitcoin.  It will be unpatriotic to support Bitcoin, in the minds of Americans.

This might come as a shock but there are more countries than the United States of America and in most people are a lot less emotionally tied to their country (what you refer to as patriotism and I as nationalism). Whatever happens with this Bitcoin will be fine Smiley

And also mass adoption is not necessary. Yes, it will be necessary for the best case scenario and to use the full potential of Bitcoi, but it can also easily conquer one or more niche markets and play an important role (and possibly grow to mass adoption from there). There are many shades of grey in the world. and Bitcoin isn't a binary event (success/failure).
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:38:47 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 02:48:52 PM by MickeyT2008

Sorry guys, not sure what's up with ChartBuddy. Oddly, I can't get connected to see what's up either so I'm not sure how he is able to post.
I think he was out having a beer with the lads last night, he's probably still got a hangover
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:42:07 PM

This might come as a shock but there are more countries than the United States of America and in most people are a lot less emotionally tied to their country (what you refer to as patriotism and I as nationalism). Whatever happens with this Bitcoin will be fine Smiley

And also mass adoption is not necessary. Yes, it will be necessary for the best case scenario and to use the full potential of Bitcoi, but it can also easily conquer one or more niche markets and play an important role (and possibly grow to mass adoption from there). There are many shades of grey in the world. and Bitcoin isn't a binary event (success/failure).

This assumes technology moves like molasses, which is in fact...not reality.  Crypto currency is now on the map and Bitcoin can easily get left behind by another crypto currency.  So, your devotion to the name "Bitcoin" is I guess, similar to my devotion to my country.  Although, my country will be here long after Bitcoin is dead, as will the US dollar remain the most popular currency on the planet.  Hey, maybe the USG will create the crypto form of the US dollar just to ward off the little wannabes. 
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:48:08 PM

Maybe this is just the arrogant American in me but, without America, Bitcoin is little more than frequent flyer miles.  We set the trends, we say what's hot and what's not.  Russia?  When's the last time anything "cool" ever came out of Russia besides snow?   Grin  

Don't forget, America is not America without Russian software engineers, for example. Also, Sergey Brin, Google co-founder, comes from Russia.

So, don't be so arrogant and shut up.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:49:50 PM

Don't forget, America is not America without Russian software engineers, for example. Also, Sergey Brin, Google co-founder, comes from Russia.

Google hardly makes "America".  Thats as silly as saying there's no America without Apple.   /facepalm

So, don't be so arrogant and shut up.

Or you'll what, throw snowballs at me?  Lighten up. Grin
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:53:32 PM

Google hardly makes "America".  Thats as silly as saying there's no America without Apple.   Grin 

Russian software engineers and other intelligent people who comes from Russia really make "America". Like another immigrants. Don't forget it.
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:54:31 PM

No, just nuclear missiles  Grin
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:56:19 PM

No, just nuclear missiles  Grin

There ya go...that's better.  I like smilies.   Wink
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2120

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 02:56:29 PM

This assumes technology moves like molasses, which is in fact...not reality.  Crypto currency is now on the map and Bitcoin can easily get left behind by another crypto currency.  So, your devotion to the name "Bitcoin" is I guess, similar to my devotion to my country.  Although, my country will be here long after Bitcoin is dead, as will the US dollar remain the most popular currency on the planet.  Hey, maybe the USG will create the crypto form of the US dollar just to ward off the little wannabes. 

Something could come along that's better than Bitcoin but I happen to think that based on the Bitcoin design, that would be a very hard thing to do. Many of the alt-coins are based on some very odd beliefs about reality and economics (some of which happen to be mainstream but that will just allow their notions to be proven fallacious in a free market). Bitcoin has it's issues right now but most of those are pretty easily solvable. There's no need to run a full client, just look at Bitcoinspinner for example. Payment addresses add a lot of complexity at the moment but that can fairly trivially be solved by mapping email addresses or domain names to public keys. In fact it would be fairly trivial to write an app which would allow you to enter an email address and an amount of bitcoins and the bitcoins be stored in a temporary wallet to be collected by the recipient at their leisure (if this hasn't been done already).

Many Bitcoin issues stem from the fact that it's simply not big enough yet to make it worthwhile to have the kind of infrastructure that it will eventually need. That doesn't mean it won't be there. Some of us remember no Paypal, no Ebay and Amazon just sold books and Archie and Gopher were not just footnotes.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:00:42 PM

Google hardly makes "America".  Thats as silly as saying there's no America without Apple.   Grin  

Coinseeker, we've been tolerating your FUD spreading and trolling, but you are really pushing it.

Bitcoin without the USA is no more than frequent flyer miles? "You" set the trends?

What you are saying is beyond stupid.  To how many countries have you traveled in your life? What do you know about economy? Do you by chance know the growth % of countries like Russia or China?

You know nothing Coinseeker. Nothing about Bitcoin. Nothing about economics. Nothing about the reality we are heading to.

And you're stupid and superficial American nationalism is an insult to intelligence.

And regarding "all the cools things come from US": make a poll among citizens of all nationalities and ask which is the country doing the uncoolest things ATM. You will surprised by the results. Hint: Guantanamo, drones and so on.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:01:59 PM

No, I live in the real world.  I understand the mainstream.

Yes, of course. And I suppose you also know what's best for those people in the mainstream and what they really want  Roll Eyes

I know what they want...

Well here you have an answer, just in case you were wondering why nobody likes you around here Smiley
fr33d0miz3r

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:02:14 PM

Coinseeker, we've been tolerating your FUD spreading and trolling, but you are really pushing it.

Bitcoin without the USA is no more than frequent flyer miles? "You" set the trends?

What you are saying is beyond stupid.  To how many countries have you traveled in your life? What do you know about economy? Do you by chance know the growth % of countries like Russia or China?

You know nothing Coinseeker. Nothing about Bitcoin. Nothing about economics. Nothing about the reality we are heading to.

And you're stupid and superficial American nationalism is an insult to intelligence.

And regarding "all the cools things come from US": make a poll among citizens of all nationalities and ask which is the country doing the uncoolest things ATM. You will surprised by the results. Hint: Guantanamo, drones and so on.

+1
needmorecoins

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:04:05 PM

The Coinseeker downtrend of this thread is depressing, let's hope there will be a rpietila correction in the next couple of days and this thread can regain it's daily 10% rpietila growth...
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:04:43 PM

+2
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 03:05:20 PM

Something could come along that's better than Bitcoin but I happen to think that based on the Bitcoin design, that would be a very hard thing to do. Many of the alt-coins are based on some very odd beliefs about reality and economics (some of which happen to be mainstream but that will just allow their notions to be proven fallacious in a free market). Bitcoin has it's issues right now but most of those are pretty easily solvable. There's no need to run a full client, just look at Bitcoinspinner for example. Payment addresses add a lot of complexity at the moment but that can fairly trivially be solved by mapping email addresses or domain names to public keys. In fact it would be fairly trivial to write an app which would allow you to enter an email address and an amount of bitcoins and the bitcoins be stored in a temporary wallet to be collected by the recipient at their leisure (if this hasn't been done already).

Many Bitcoin issues stem from the fact that it's simply not big enough yet to make it worthwhile to have the kind of infrastructure that it will eventually need. That doesn't mean it won't be there. Some of us remember no Paypal, no Ebay and Amazon just sold books and Archie and Gopher were not just footnotes.

These are really good points and I don't necessarily disagree.  I'm not writing Bitcoin's obituary yet, but times are changing faster than Bitcoin developers can keep up, it would seem.  I mean, the diehards who have been mining since the beginning should be sitting on 100's of millions of dollars at todays prices.  It's really hard to make the legitimate argument that it's still "not big enough", to make the changes and updates the mainstream demands, when you're sitting on that kind of cash.  How much "bigger" does it need to get?  

What I think is the diehards are lazy.  They made their money and they're content just ridding this thing our as is.  That's fine but it will soon be old news if this thinking and lack of action continues.  My opinions of course.  

BTW-I remember pre-internet.  Life before pagers.  I remember the first fax machine commercial that ever came on TV talking about how you could send a piece of paper from one place to another.  WOW!  And...I still remember connecting my Atari to the back of a console tv, using a screw driver.   Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 ... 33330 »
  Print  

Jump to: