May 10, 2024, 11:01:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 20348 20349 20350 20351 20352 20353 20354 20355 20356 20357 20358 20359 20360 20361 20362 20363 20364 20365 20366 20367 20368 20369 20370 20371 20372 20373 20374 20375 20376 20377 20378 20379 20380 20381 20382 20383 20384 20385 20386 20387 20388 20389 20390 20391 20392 20393 20394 20395 20396 20397 [20398] 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 20439 20440 20441 20442 20443 20444 20445 20446 20447 20448 ... 33338 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381183 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 01:52:43 AM

That was funny. Now join us and BTFD!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:01:21 AM

I don't think i will be that late. Adoption, LN progress... that's real value.
And then there's the halfening. Not that late, definitely.

EDIT Seems like the three of us - Dakustaking, bones and myself - have a problem wih our T's.

Must be a Freudian slip on my part. It appears that my stage of obsession with the BTC market has now grown to the point that I subconsciously feel that I am a bunch of red and green candles.
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:01:40 AM

MSM FUD on Price Manipulation Scams = Mega Dip.

https://www.techdr.com.np/2018/05/feds-open-probe-into-bitcoin-price.html

Buy the DIP & #HODL

A year or 2 from now this will all seem funny.
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:09:55 AM

Buy the DIP & #HODL

I've already set a bot to BTFD and scalp when it rises a bit and I'm running out of fiat. REKT.  Cry
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:23:47 AM

I leave for two fucking days

Jesus Christ you guys, do I have to do everything?

What? You don't like our Delicious Discounted BTC Dip for $7350?  Stock up for your retirement fund!

You're welcome!
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898

Clueless!

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:29:36 AM

Buy the DIP & #HODL

Damn, I hope you are correct.... on the other hand my original knc Jupiter Miner of BTC in 2013 cost me (if I remember right) $5,131.80...thus all my BTC and ALTs etc

have come from that small seed..thru mining only.....thus, I can be stubborn and wait this out until BTC is $513.18 usd ...before I can 'officially' call this all a 'loss' on my part in any way or form...

(obviously, I'm quite mad, in HODL mode..but being being crazy these days..of 2018....is like a warm and fuzzy blanket....not at all odd....so hell, go with the flow...)

bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:31:35 AM

What? You don't like our Delicious Discounted BTC Dip for $7350?  Stock up for your retirement fund!

You're welcome!

Good thing that I already have Ramen as a snack everyday. It appears there is going to be some lean times up ahead. Better crack open that book of Ramen recipes someone gave me a few years ago so that I can now enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bonus: with the new Ramen diet plan, I won't need to worry about a long retirement, if I reach retirement at all...  Cheesy
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:57:47 AM

What? You don't like our Delicious Discounted BTC Dip for $7350?  Stock up for your retirement fund!

You're welcome!

Good thing that I already have Ramen as a snack everyday. It appears there is going to be some lean times up ahead. Better crack open that book of Ramen recipes someone gave me a few years ago so that I can now enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bonus: with the new Ramen diet plan, I won't need to worry about a long retirement, if I reach retirement at all...  Cheesy

Talking about retirement. I have always have a doubt about how do retirement pensions work in the usa.

I think 401K (from what I have read here and googling a bit) is some sort private retirements savings pensions. Whilst it is individual choice the employer contributes to it. Ok.... but it is additional to a social security state pension or is it that 401 IS the standard pension that everyone has?

I mean, is there a mandatory minimum state pension or it is the people choice to have one and some people could end with NO pension even if they did work for all their lives?

What is the minimum retirement age when you can start receiving that pension?

My main question is if it is somewhat like in most of euro zone where people are FORCED to contribute to the state pension and therefore have a "guaranteed" pension depending on how much they contributed over their work life or if it is the same as the medical cover where either you pay your insurance for it (or your employer, but not mandatory) or you could end up having to pay for all your medical expenses.
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:09:10 AM

Buy the DIP & #HODL

Damn, I hope you are correct.... on the other hand my original knc Jupiter Miner of BTC in 2013 cost me (if I remember right) $5,131.80...thus all my BTC and ALTs etc

have come from that small seed..thru mining only.....thus, I can be stubborn and wait this out until BTC is $513.18 usd ...before I can 'officially' call this all a 'loss' on my part in any way or form...

(obviously, I'm quite mad, in HODL mode..but being being crazy these days..of 2018....is like a warm and fuzzy blanket....not at all odd....so hell, go with the flow...)

I think your calculation for the "break even" point is incorrect. Unless you only have 10 BTC (or the equivalent including alts) and never withdrew anything from your initial investment or -to be more precise- only withdrew enough for covering your mining running costs (electricity, work time, etc).
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:20:43 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2018, 03:32:09 AM by bones261
Merited by bitserve (1)

You're welcome!

Talking about retirement. I have always have a doubt about how do retirement pensions work in the usa.

I think 401K (from what I have read here and googling a bit) is some sort private retirements savings pensions. Whilst it is individual choice the employer contributes to it. Ok.... but it is additional to a social security state pension or is it that 401 IS the standard pension that everyone has?

I mean, is there a mandatory minimum state pension or it is the people choice to have one and some people could end with NO pension even if they did work for all their lives?

My main question is if it is somewhat like in most of euro zone where people are FORCED to contribute to the state pension and therefore have a "guaranteed" pension depending on how much they contributed over their work life or if it is the same as the medical cover where either you pay yourself for it (or your employer, but not mandatory) or you could end up having to pay for all your medical expenses.

No one is forced to contribute to a 401k. If your employer offers a 401K, they can take money out of your paycheck, and the tax on that amount will be deferred until you withdraw from your 401K. If you draw out of your 401K before retirement age of 59 1/2, you will have to pay a penalty of 10% on top of the tax. Many employers that offer a 401k also include a match. Most companies match 50% of what the employee contributes. The catch is that you usually have to work for an employer for a certain amount of time before you are fully vested and can claim this portion if you leave the employer. My employer has a vesting schedule of 5 years.
     Another option for retirement is an standard IRA and a Roth IRA. In a standard IRA, you get to defer your taxes on your contributions. However, if you withdraw before age 59 1/2, you will pay a penalty on top of the taxes. In a Roth IRA, you pay the tax on the contributions. If you withdraw before 59 1/2, you only pay the penalty and the tax on the income, not the contributions. If you withdraw after you are 59 1/2, the money is tax free.
    Then we have social security. Social security is a tax that everyone must pay. (I think some government employees are exempt. But I am unsure.)You pay a portion and your employer pays a portion. If you are self employed, you pay both portions. Although the Social Security program has run at a surplus for quite sometime, the government has used the money for other things and replaced it with bonds. Also, the Baby Boomer generation (people born from 1948-1960 in the US) are now reaching retirement. So I do not believe the Social Security program is running at an excess anymore. If it is, it won't be for long unless they lessen the benefits or raise the tax. You can begin to collect social security at age 62, but your benefit will be reduced.. You can wait to get the full benefit at a certain age. the exact age and penalty for early retirement depends on when you were born. the chart can be found, here. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/agereduction.html
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:45:30 AM

You're welcome!

My main question is if it is somewhat like in most of euro zone where people are FORCED to contribute to the state pension and therefore have a "guaranteed" pension depending on how much they contributed over their work life or if it is the same as the medical cover where either you pay yourself for it (or your employer, but not mandatory) or you could end up having to pay for all your medical expenses.

No one is forced to contribute to a 401k. If your employer offers a 401K, they can take money out of your paycheck, and the tax on that amount will be deferred until you withdraw from your 401K. If you draw out of your 401K before retirement age of 59 1/2, you will have to pay a penalty of 10% on top of the tax. Many employers that offer a 401k also include a match. Most companies match 50% of what the employee contributes. The catch is that you usually have to work for an employer for a certain amount of time before you are fully vested and can claim this portion if you leave the employer. My employer has a vesting schedule of 5 years.
     Another option for retirement is an standard IRA and a Roth IRA. In a standard IRA, you get to defer your taxes on your contributions. However, if you withdraw before age 59 1/2, you will pay a penalty on top of the taxes. In a Roth IRA, you pay the tax on the contributions. If you withdraw before 59 1/2, you only pay the penalty and the tax on the income, not the contributions. If you withdraw after you are 59 1/2, the money is tax free.
    Then we have social security. Social security is a tax that everyone must pay. (I think some government employees are exempt. But I am unsure.)You pay a portion and your employer pays a portion. If you are self employed, you pay both portions. Although the Social Security program has run at a surplus for quite sometime, the government has used the money for other things and replaced it with bonds. Also, the Baby Boomer generation (people born from 1948-1960 in the US) are now reaching retirement. So I do not believe the Social Security program is running at an excess anymore. If it is, it won't be for long unless they lessen the benefits or raise the tax. You can begin to collect social security at age 62, but your benefit will be reduced.. You can wait to get the full benefit at a certain age. the exact age and penalty for early retirement depends on when you were born. the chart can be found, here. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/agereduction.html

I think I get it now. 401K, IRA, etc... are private (individual choice) retirement/savings plans same like here.

Social security also seems to be the same than here (except for the medical care, that it is fully included for everyone no matter how much they contributed or if they have additional private medical plans) .

Also it is the same situation in that the cashflow has been reduced due to the poblation growth (or lack of younger workforce in relation to retirees) and the retirement age has keep increasing. To me it will be, at least, 67 (maybe they will increase it higher by the time I reach it).

It is also the same in that it is expected that they will have to increase contributions or reduce pensions sometime in the future as currently the cashflow is already negative and the reserves are almost empty The money will have to come from somewhere to keep current benefits....

Currently the social security pensions for people that had good salaries "guarantees" and get the max are more than enough for a reasonable retirement even without the need of additional private pension plans or significant previous savings..... but that is probably going to change in the future.

I think have never read people talking about social security when discussing about retirement here and only about 401k's, IRA, etc so I had the doubt if that there was the case that no (forced) social security was in effect in USA. Or maybe the current amounts of that social security are so small in comparison to previous salaries that noone takes it into account?
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2940

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 04:00:56 AM

Do you really get rekt every time, bones, or is it just preventive whining?

(You're free not to answer this, of course. It's just a cocky opening.)

I'd try and make the bet smaller relative to my playroll, keeping leverage at maybe 3 tops, 1~1.5 even better. "Going long" can actually mean buying a few cents and stashing away. So can "taking profit." Increasing the amount in the freezer is probably the most hopeful subgoal to gambling with 100% house money.

I mean: you know a few things about retirement and taxes. I'm sure you made a few calculations. I know you understand this magical internet money fairly well, too. Come on.
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 04:11:59 AM

I think I get it now. 401K, IRA, etc... are private (individual choice) retirement/savings plans same like here.

Social security also seems to be the same than here (except for the medical care, that it is fully included for everyone no matter how much they contributed or if they have additional private medical plans) .

Also it is the same situation in that the cashflow has been reduced due to the poblation growth (or lack of younger workforce in relation to retirees) and the retirement age has keep increasing. To me it will be, at least, 67 (maybe they will increase it higher by the time I reach it).

It is also the same in that it is expected that they will have to increase contributions or reduce pensions sometime in the future as currently the cashflow is already negative and the reserves are almost empty The money will have to come from somewhere to keep current benefits....

Currently the social security pensions for people that had good salaries "guarantees" and get the max are more than enough for a reasonable retirement even without the need of additional private pension plans or significant previous savings..... but that is probably going to change in the future.

I think have never read people talking about social security when discussing about retirement here and only about 401k's, IRA, etc so I had the doubt if that there was the case that no (forced) social security was in effect in USA. Or maybe the current amounts of that social security are so small in comparison to previous salaries that noone takes it into account?

Unfortunately the maximum Social Security benefit someone can get right now is $2,639 at full retirement age, a little more if you wait until you are 70. Most people did not earn enough to get that amount. If someone is going to be planning on living just on their Social Security benefits, they will be living in poverty or close to it and will need additional aid such as Section 8 housing and food stamps.
At age 65, almost everyone is entitled to part A Medicare which covers hospital stays. If you want part B, which covers other services not related to a hospital stay or part D which is drug coverage, you will have to pay a premium that comes out of your social security check. Many people on social security are living at the poverty level or close to it, so those people can get Medicaid. Medicaid will pay for the part B and part D premium for you, and will also "cover" the deductible and copays. (Actually, the Medicare allowable is higher than the Medicaid allowable. So what really happens is the Medical professional gets the Medicare payment and then writes off the balance. In order for a doctor or medical professional to accept Medicare and Medicaid, they must agree to write this off, by law.)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898

Clueless!

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 04:18:09 AM

Buy the DIP & #HODL

I think your calculation for the "break even" point is incorrect. Unless you only have 10 BTC (or the equivalent including alts) and never withdrew anything from your initial investment or -to be more precise- only withdrew enough for covering your mining running costs (electricity, work time, etc).

yep..that is pretty much true....I ONLY had the miner....from that miner to pump the income (yep legal with IRS too from day one) for ALL the stuff you mentioned flowed from this income...I worked with disabled

folk...never a lot of money in that ..thus the mining had

to stand on its own....also remember I fired up this KNC Jupiter BTC miner on Oct 18th 2013 and that day BTC was almost exactly $150 (I looked at worldcoinindex..but they don't go back till 2013 or I can't read

the graph) .....and I think (again if I remember right) I was making ONE BTC per day.....

and yeah, mostly was in HODL mode for everything ...except those things that were for mining....I also have a mess of Altcoins that more than make up for what you are talking about...for any 'slush' after the

BTC stuff...

so yeah, a case could be made that REALLY the only money I have in crypto 'out of my job' was the $5,131.80 usd for the KNC Jupiter of 2013.......so the revenue I have used/bought miners with etc...and what

I have left over in HODL mode..is indeed profits....thus a case again could be made that I 'mentally' could claim that anything above the $5,131.80 was profit..in that all the expenses for future expansion came

from that one machine....thus $513.18 BTC would be the most definative extreme example of denial of loss of $$$ after any number under that point for BTC (again not counting the significant ALT's slush on

the assumption I'd sell all that before getting to such an extreme point...

just the way it worked out....I retired as of 1/14/18 this year due to crypto...trying to use crypto to bridge the gap between 63 years and full retirement and traditional investments at 66 with soc sec etc

same 'dubious' lifestyle' $$$ wise if I 1) work 2) use crypto till 66 3) crypto goes tulips after 66 again, same modest dubious suburban ghetto lifestyle

so if it all goes tulips I am going to make t-shirts to befuddle those who will say 'I told you so' that say

Crypto: Allowed me to retire 3 years early, bite me!

Thus, if nothing else comes from the miracle of tripping over BTC in 2013....I can say at least that I man'd up and gave it my all....hell, I'm 63 years old ...I have worse problems then BTC and crypto going tulips!

(what do they say: write a book, plant a tree, make a fortune and lose a fortune......we will be the first to know I guess)

brad

p.s. the above while not exactly correct....is a way to look at it from the perspective of which I started.....(in the PSU's I'll have left over alone!) but as a mental viewpoint on the ups and downs of all this

stuff and how serious to take it all..it works for me. Smiley Also as far as the work/time thing...even if it all goes tulips..I have not had this much fun since I was in University....thus it is a win also.

realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 04:36:41 AM

This shit is amazing to read.  Some video game reviewer guy that somehow crawled from complete obscurity to sort of well known just died and all these antifia weirdos came out of the woodwork to talk about how they're glad he died because he did not support the correct side of "gamergate", which was like a Marxist antifa movement to demonize males and whites within the video game industry.  This SJW video game developer (who appears to work for the worst game company that exists - EA) flips out in a Trump-style twitter rampage talking about how glad he is the guy is dead:

https://archive.li/UuEJw
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 04:42:12 AM
Merited by Torque (1), infofront (1), El duderino_ (1), BobLawblaw (1)

Do you really get rekt every time, bones, or is it just preventive whining?

(You're free not to answer this, of course. It's just a cocky opening.)

I'd try and make the bet smaller relative to my playroll, keeping leverage at maybe 3 tops, 1~1.5 even better. "Going long" can actually mean buying a few cents and stashing away. So can "taking profit." Increasing the amount in the freezer is probably the most hopeful subgoal to gambling with 100% house money.

I mean: you know a few things about retirement and taxes. I'm sure you made a few calculations. I know you understand this magical internet money fairly well, too. Come on.

To be blunt, my finances are a horror story. I truly am REKT. My cryptocurrency portfolio has never been large. We are talking less than 1 BTC worth ATM.
Also, everyone knows the saying that those who can't,  teach. Definitely applies to me when it comes to retirement. I have jack shit saved up for retirement and I am 50.
I basically live paycheck to paycheck and the balances on my credit cards increase monthly. I have been working the same job for 15 years and I am probably way overqualified for the position. I hate to admit it, but I am truly an unmotivated loser. What has been nice, starting in November of 2017, is that I did get to cash out on my cryptocurrency profits to keep my head above water. Unfortunately, that well is going to dry up rather quickly. Especially if the BTC market keeps going with the current downtrend. Sometimes I'm just tempted to liquidate all my meager cryptocurrency holdings right now. However, a part of me wants to hold on for as long as possible because quite frankly, it gives me a little ray of hope that maybe things will turn around, and I can delay the looming bankruptcy filing indefinitely.
I will probably regret this posting, since I have bared all to practical strangers. Oh well, at least it was a little therapeutic to have my own pity party.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:08:01 AM

Darkness rises...

Jesus fucking Christ Bob!

just stop...fuck

my pills, where are my pills
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:11:32 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2018, 06:29:45 AM by bitserve

Unfortunately the maximum Social Security benefit someone can get right now is $2,639 at full retirement age, a little more if you wait until you are 70. Most people did not earn enough to get that amount. If someone is going to be planning on living just on their Social Security benefits, they will be living in poverty or close to it and will need additional aid such as Section 8 housing and food stamps.
At age 65, almost everyone is entitled to part A Medicare which covers hospital stays. If you want part B, which covers other services not related to a hospital stay or part D which is drug coverage, you will have to pay a premium that comes out of your social security check. Many people on social security are living at the poverty level or close to it, so those people can get Medicaid. Medicaid will pay for the part B and part D premium for you, and will also "cover" the deductible and copays. (Actually, the Medicare allowable is higher than the Medicaid allowable. So what really happens is the Medical professional gets the Medicare payment and then writes off the balance. In order for a doctor or medical professional to accept Medicare and Medicaid, they must agree to write this off, by law.)

Oh, That explains it. Here the maximum pension is around 2500€/month which is "a lot" considering salaries (and cost of living) are several times less than the USA equivalent. Of course it is because the contributions during all the work life are *HUGE* (around 30% of the salary goes to social security which includes full medical care for everyone).

Also in Spain it is usual to fully own the home (or even a second house) before the time one reaches retirement. It is main savings asset for most the people, it is in the culture. So that's one less expense to account for.

In exchange, very little people have private pension funds... the home is it for most.

I am sure that must change sometime in the future. First they kept postponing the age, then raising the number min/max of work years needed, then stopping increasing the amounts of the pension.... next will be directly reducing them. Either that or the numbers won't add up (they already don't).

I have heard (and watched in tv films) many horror stories about people having to spend tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of fiat into (uncovered) medical bills in the USA. I suppose it is an exaggeration?

Here people complains because dentists are the only thing that is NOT included in social security even if that only amounts to a $50-$100 bill for a filling every few years or whatever. Oh, yeah, unjustified plastic surgery is also not included, as expected.

Talking about that I will never understand how so many REALLY expensive care is included for free and dentists, being such an insignificant portion of the whole, aren't. Mysteries of life. But not like I am gonna complain when that amounts to maybe 1% of the total already offered for free.
realr0ach

Activity: 924
Merit: 311

#TheGoyimKnow

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:13:05 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2018, 05:26:29 AM by realr0ach

And oh yea, I know this thread is filled to the brim with ultra alternative lifestyle Bob type people, but the sheer number of trannies in programming now who are literally and not figuratively mentally insane and demand the other 99.9% of the world to bend over backwards to put up with their mental insanity is seriously getting out of control.  I don't know how the hell this happened, but there was suddenly a flood of tranny programmers out of nowhere overnight with all these Sharia law style demands.

Fact:  Since humans require reproduction to exist, not being attracted to the opposite sex at all is abnormal in the natural order of things.  There is no 'everything is relative' here.  You are either a functional genetic line or a genetic error in this case which is not capable of creating a functional lineage.  

Genetic errors who are designed to fail at natural selection should not be put up on a pedestal and claimed to be equal to functional humans.  This is not to say anything negative should be done to them, because nobody is perfect and everyone has their flaws, but advocating that both specimens/choices are equally valid is like saying it would be perfectly fine if 100% of civilization were trannies.  No, that's not going to work.  One specimen is obviously somewhere between inferior to completely invalid in evolutionary terms and should not be promoted as an equal choice/happenstance.
Typex

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:34:14 AM

r0ach what do you do for a living? Ive been curious since I started reading the wall observer thread.
Pages: « 1 ... 20348 20349 20350 20351 20352 20353 20354 20355 20356 20357 20358 20359 20360 20361 20362 20363 20364 20365 20366 20367 20368 20369 20370 20371 20372 20373 20374 20375 20376 20377 20378 20379 20380 20381 20382 20383 20384 20385 20386 20387 20388 20389 20390 20391 20392 20393 20394 20395 20396 20397 [20398] 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 20439 20440 20441 20442 20443 20444 20445 20446 20447 20448 ... 33338 »
  Print  

Jump to: