Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:32:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 182 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Work in progess] Burnins Avalon Chip to mining board service  (Read 623981 times)
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

Changed that dammed chip and:

SUCCESS!

Just awesome! Incredible, that you pulled this off virtually on your own, in that short amount of time!
Congrats!

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
tigerbit

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:39:14 PM

SUCCESS!

Wowzers!  You sir, are an artisan master craftsman.  If we could find a country where bi-sexual polygamy is legal, I'd marry you.

Is something funky going on with the numbers, or playing it safe with the clock speed?
I'd have expected 5.7GH, but CGminer's reporting 5.2GH.  (x20 chips at 285Mhz).

If you found this useful modest tips welcome BTC: 15noAopoPUcA4D4dTJihgDVE8axZh8VWia
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:43:04 PM

SUCCESS!

Fantastic achievement! Congratulations!
MCM-Mike

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:46:03 PM

I have seen several purchases on the below mentioned thread which are shipped to you.

Can I order Chips on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187663.0 and let them sent to you even I haven't paid you yet?
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:51:42 PM

Wowzers!  You sir, are an artisan master craftsman.  If we could find a country where bi-sexual polygamy is legal, I'd marry you.

Is something funky going on with the numbers, or playing it safe with the clock speed?
I'd have expected 5.7GH, but CGminer's reporting 5.2GH.  (x20 chips at 285Mhz).

+/- 10% is not unexpected and the samples are probably about 'C' grade chips.  That figure is completely within normal tolerances, and the card isn't even burned in any yet.  Not to mention it's a prototype (the FIRST prototype) board running under a "hacked up" version of cgminer.  All things considered, it's absolutely fantastic even for production boards.

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:57:48 PM

Can I order Chips on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187663.0 and let them sent to you even I haven't paid you yet?

Yes you can, that's the best place to buy chips if you are going to send them to Burnin for assembly, lowest handling and shipping fees to Burnin of all group buys.
Edit: English version of the chip group buy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187660

Orders for chips and assembly are independent, order chips now and pay for assembly in a few weeks when chips arrive.

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:58:57 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2013, 08:09:15 PM by -Redacted-

Yes you can, that's the best place to buy chips if you are going to send them to Burnin for assembly, lowest handling and shipping fees to Burnin of all group buys.

Orders for chips and assembly are independent, order chips now and pay for assembly in a few weeks when chips arrive.

And for those of us that don't speak German??

EDIT:  Thanks.  Lots of people posted the link.
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

I have seen several purchases on the below mentioned thread which are shipped to you.

Of course. That's how it goes:
1. you buy chips on that groupbuy with burnin as assembly service
2. on a webpage burnin will set up in a few days (or a week) you order assembly service (DIY kit or complete miner), that's when you pay to burnin
3. when chips arrive, SebastianJu will send them to burnin
4. burnin assembles the boards and sends them to you

EDIT: there is that same groupbuy thread in english: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187660.0
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:00:53 PM

Amazing progress and results!!

Even if my boards implode, create a worm-hole that sucks me into an alternate universe in which the wind blows Kenny G and I want to curl up and die, I just wanted to give you props Burnin.  Grin

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
nosbit

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:02:21 PM

same groupbuy in english:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187660
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:03:35 PM

Kein Deutsch hier.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
cimpex

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:09:06 PM

Wow, didnt know that its so featurerich... and all 4! power connectors are for cables that goes horizontal right? The left 3 for sure but im not sure with the right one. But i guess the second right one would be the one to use with a ATX-PSU.

Do you mean the green power connector goes with ATX? I wonder how to split power from ATX to multiple boards, like 14? What additional cables/connectors do we need?
No, the connector on the left side of the green connector. Im not sure what the green connectors cable would look like.
You would most probably split the power from a psu via y-cables.

Putting a heat sink on top will restrict the airflow over the pcb. The pcb has internal copper layers ('ground' is usually designed as a plane) which act as heat spreaders as well.

Do you say the other side of the pcb needs airflow too? I intended to force the airflow from the fans through the heatsinks only to maximize cooling. Do i have to rethink this?

The chips are designed to release heat out of the bottom, and putting a heatsink on the top of the chips can restrict convection and cause the chips to overheat.  The top of the board doesn't need additional air flow AFAIK.  The fan on the heatsink should create enough airflow around the board that all you need on top is convection for the other parts.  That is, don't cover it up, but no need for anything else.

So it doesnt need airflow but then you say the fan will make enough air. But what will happen when i force the airflow ONLY through the heatsink. You know like creating a tunnel. I would like to take 2 miners with heatsink and put them together tight with the heatsinks. Then put a fan on the side and somehow build a tunnel that only allows the air flowing between the ribs of the heatsinks. Im not sure yet what material would be best for this but i think it would greatly effect the cooling because i think otherwise most of the air is going useless the easier way.
So would that be possible or is it needed to put a little bit of the airflow to flow above the other sides of the boards.

I believe convection is enough for the top of the board.  Just don't plaster over it or cover it with a blanket.

I think the question is if a bottom side heatsink is enough for strong oc.
Maybe its a good idea to use a (bit more expensive) heatsink with a lot of more fins/surface and a 80/92 mm fan for each unit + top side heatsink (w or w/o fan). sandwiched. Smiley should be enough for 70 W.
air cooling is much cheaper than water cooling.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         █████████████████████████▄   
       ███████                 ██████
     ██████                      ██████
    █████      ███████████▄        ████
   ████      █████████████▀         ████
  ████      █████            ██      ████
 █████     ████     ▄▄▄      ███     ████
 █████     ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ███████   ████
 ████      ████   ██████    ████      ███
  ████     █████   ▀▀▀▀     ████     ████
  ████      █████            ██      ████
   ████      █████████████▄         ████
    █████      ███████████▀        ████
     ██████                       ████
       ██████
         ██████████████████████▄
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
SKYFchain
█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█  ▄██
██▀  █
█      █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 08:50:09 PM

You might want to check out the klondike heatsink thread. Someone there had a nice piece of software testing 2 heatsinks. Its a big difference with a heatsink with 10mm and 36mm size. So maybe you can test your theories about different heatsinks with this software if you can get your hands on it?

Wow, didnt know that its so featurerich... and all 4! power connectors are for cables that goes horizontal right? The left 3 for sure but im not sure with the right one. But i guess the second right one would be the one to use with a ATX-PSU.

Do you mean the green power connector goes with ATX? I wonder how to split power from ATX to multiple boards, like 14? What additional cables/connectors do we need?
No, the connector on the left side of the green connector. Im not sure what the green connectors cable would look like.

Putting a heat sink on top will restrict the airflow over the pcb. The pcb has internal copper layers ('ground' is usually designed as a plane) which act as heat spreaders as well.

Do you say the other side of the pcb needs airflow too? I intended to force the airflow from the fans through the heatsinks only to maximize cooling. Do i have to rethink this?

The chips are designed to release heat out of the bottom, and putting a heatsink on the top of the chips can restrict convection and cause the chips to overheat.  The top of the board doesn't need additional air flow AFAIK.  The fan on the heatsink should create enough airflow around the board that all you need on top is convection for the other parts.  That is, don't cover it up, but no need for anything else.

So it doesnt need airflow but then you say the fan will make enough air. But what will happen when i force the airflow ONLY through the heatsink. You know like creating a tunnel. I would like to take 2 miners with heatsink and put them together tight with the heatsinks. Then put a fan on the side and somehow build a tunnel that only allows the air flowing between the ribs of the heatsinks. Im not sure yet what material would be best for this but i think it would greatly effect the cooling because i think otherwise most of the air is going useless the easier way.
So would that be possible or is it needed to put a little bit of the airflow to flow above the other sides of the boards.

I believe convection is enough for the top of the board.  Just don't plaster over it or cover it with a blanket.

I think the question is if a bottom side heatsink is enough for strong oc.
Maybe its a good idea to use a (bit more expensive) heatsink with a lot of more fins/surface and a 80/92 mm fan for each unit + top side heatsink (w or w/o fan). sandwiched. Smiley should be enough for 70 W.
air cooling is much cheaper than water cooling.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
f.baasch75

Activity: 77

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:57:20 PM

SUCCESS!

yeeaaah! brilliant! great work burnin!

I really want to pick up these boards myself and shake hands with this guy!

still fingers crossed!

considering cooling, more fins will have a significant effect.
I just remember my old 8800GTX which ran more than 100°C with stock cooler and less than 70° with an Accelero Extreme!
I don't know how much of watts that old card needed, but it must have been a lot more.
So I think there is room for optimization with air cooling.

maybe another fan on the other side will help too because it helps the air flowing.

Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 09:24:45 PM

The avalon chips will certainly be ok with bottom cooling only, even if the top side is completely insulated. They are designed to release the heat via the bottom. But there might be other components on the board, which might need a slight breeze, to prevent them from getting quite hot (voltage regulators for example).

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
tiros

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Just another miner

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:06:15 PM

SUCCESS!

YAY!  Grin Grin Grin
What a guy you are Martin.

And also we shouldn't forget the Yifu and his crew for making their design available for modding, so thank you all guys.
Long live Bitcoin and bitcoin community!

Greed shouldn't be the essence of bitcoin
mutex

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:02:41 AM

Are there any miner hosting services in Germany? Is burnin offering one?
Chefnet

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:18:01 AM

Are there any miner hosting services in Germany? Is burnin offering one?

in planning.

bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:32:26 AM

The avalon chips will certainly be ok with bottom cooling only, even if the top side is completely insulated. They are designed to release the heat via the bottom. But there might be other components on the board, which might need a slight breeze, to prevent them from getting quite hot (voltage regulators for example).

Actually I think people were warned to specifically not insulate the top of the chip.  I can't remember where, but I distinctly remember reading that a heatsink on top of the chip can actually cause damage.  Maybe that was because the pressure of the heatsink can cause chips to come loose from the board or something, but I do remember being warned not to try to exhaust heat out of the top.
WynX

Activity: 77

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 09:35:47 AM

Actually I think people were warned to specifically not insulate the top of the chip.  I can't remember where, but I distinctly remember reading that a heatsink on top of the chip can actually cause damage.  Maybe that was because the pressure of the heatsink can cause chips to come loose from the board or something, but I do remember being warned not to try to exhaust heat out of the top.

He doesn't mean the avalon chips. Other components (capacitors, regulators, etc) need to be slightly cooled too. They don't have vias probably.
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 182 »
  Print  

Jump to: