Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 12:36:58 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]
  Print  
Author Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool!  (Read 117363 times)
Clipse

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 09:14:53 AM

When BT 1st posted about his issues in November many people offered to take over/ help/whatever it took to keep Ars going (including me) I had no response and I have not heard of anyone else getting a response.

taking over now compared to then....would seem ... a lot less viable....and way more risky
Shame its gone this way, but guys you gotta cut your losses sometime, and really Novembers post was fair warning Smiley
best of luck with your future pools Smiley
Graet

He posted only a few days ago that he will give 30/60/90 days advance notice, that was his most recent post so that is what we should take from him.

Not living up to that makes him no less a corrupt member than any other person around here. Some people considered to continue mining due to this message and continue donating which he happily soaked up and then suddenly kill the server and not respond to this thread.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
SistaS0uljah

Activity: 45

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 05:47:14 PM

He posted only a few days ago that he will give 30/60/90 days advance notice, that was his most recent post so that is what we should take from him.
Yeah, it's kind of rude to make such pronouncements and then fail to fulfill them, but perhaps Burning Toad is so out of the loop that he hasn't even bothered to check on the pool's status since then, or even bothered to look at the forums to see everyone trashing him.  I'd assume he would have set up alerts to notify him of any catastrophic failure of the pool, and if he didn't, the pool really needs a more conscientious admin.  But since it doesn't seem like anything will happen soon, I'm tempted to just give up on Ars and cash out.  My miners are all happily hashing away on a different pool right now, but I have about 4.24 BTC sitting in the unpaid work queue on Ars, and I'd hate to just lose it.  I know it's not much, but I increased my donation level in November after BT said he was losing money on the venture because I wanted to help him out.  I guess I just donated another 4.24 BTC to the lost cause. 

Hey, I just checked the stats and realized that donation puts me in the list of the TOP 20 donors to ArsBitcoin!  You're welcome, BT! Grin
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 06:01:17 PM

I'd love to see Ars keep running.   I don't use Eligius due to the long wait required to reach the payout amount (or at least that's why I stopped using it a long, long time ago, and haven't been back to check if anything changed).
Why does this matter?  Do you really need your coins immediately?  And it's actually MORE secure since it's impossible for Luke to run off with the coins.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 11:14:05 PM

I'd love to see Ars keep running.   I don't use Eligius due to the long wait required to reach the payout amount (or at least that's why I stopped using it a long, long time ago, and haven't been back to check if anything changed).
Why does this matter?  Do you really need your coins immediately?  And it's actually MORE secure since it's impossible for Luke to run off with the coins.

Don't suppose it matters too much, but It'd just be a backup pool for me, so it takes forever to get to the payout amount.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2086

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 11:15:28 PM

Don't suppose it matters too much, but It'd just be a backup pool for me, so it takes forever to get to the payout amount.
If you don't mine for over a week, Eligius will payout regardless of amount.

thirdlight

Activity: 281

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 08:36:28 AM

I have 58 bitcoins locked in here. I got an e-mail saying I should claim them. However I do not understand how I can do this. Any help? Am I just being dumb?

Thanks
Scroll down your account page (https://arsbitcoin.com/accountdetails.php), you'll find a "cash out" section.

Hpman

Activity: 176

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 08:59:47 AM

How do I get my 58 unpaid coins?
Shows my account balance is 0.

I'm sure I am just missing something.

As for the unpaid SMPPS buffer, there isn't much I can do about it.  This means that "Unpaid work" will not get paid at this point.  Even if I turned mining back on, there is no saying whether the buffer would go up or down.  I also do not have the 900ish bitcoins to pay out of my own pocket (as costs are already a problem.)  I hope you can understand the SMPPS payment model always had this possibility.

Don't no why there is no inside the buffer but i'm afraid unpaid value will be lost.

Hpman
thirdlight

Activity: 281

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 09:03:57 AM

How do I get my 58 unpaid coins?
Shows my account balance is 0.

I'm sure I am just missing something.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think this is the answer:
Quote from: burningtoad in email
As for the unpaid SMPPS buffer, there isn't much I can do about it.  This means that "Unpaid work" will not get paid at this point.  Even if I turned mining back on, there is no saying whether the buffer would go up or down.  I also do not have the 900ish bitcoins to pay out of my own pocket (as costs are already a problem.)  I hope you can understand the SMPPS payment model always had this possibility.
What Hpman said. (I type too slow!)
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 12:58:41 PM

He is not going to pay us what he owes us? I highly doubt ARS would do that...

BT is not officially Ars - he is among the Ars community, but he was operating independently. The pool name was its only association.

As regrettable as it is (I still think BT should've accepted assistance), the pool has been functioning without direct management for a long time and the persistently negative buffer was a bad sign. It probably would've been best to shut the pool down well before now, but what's done is done.

Keep things in perspective - any loss here is peanuts by comparison and certainly not malicious as other events were, like the 2011 Mt Gox or recent Linode hack.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 04:26:46 PM

This is a problem with SMPPS, not the pool op being a crook.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2086

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 04:35:39 PM

Yes and no. It's a problem with him apparently giving people the impression that it was owed in the first place.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2012, 05:34:46 PM

Yes and no. It's a problem with him apparently giving people the impression that it was owed in the first place.
To be fair, your page about SMPPS doesn't say that "extra credit" isn't guaranteed and may be lost if the pool stops mining with a negative buffer, either.

http://eligius.st/wiki/index.php/Shared_Maximum_PPS

Miners accumulate Pay-Per-Share as usual. When a block is found, the pool counts the total unpaid PPS credits. If there are sufficient pool funds earned to pay them all in full PPS, that happens. If not, the miners are paid proportional to available funds. Remaining pool funds accumulate toward future payouts. The difference between a miner's actual (SMPPS) earnings and PPS earnings is retained as "extra credit", and considered in future blocks.

Maybe add something after "Remaining pool funds accumulate toward future payouts." to make this very clear.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1946

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 02:45:04 AM

To be fair, your page about SMPPS doesn't say that "extra credit" isn't guaranteed and may be lost if the pool stops mining with a negative buffer, either.

No, it doesn't, but Luke-jr has been at pains to mention it when it crops up from time to time, and once in this thread a few pages back. I don't think it's been left unclear on purpose, and if you read the explanation knowing that "extra credit" is not guaranteed you'll notice it is actually there:

The difference between a miner's actual (SMPPS) earnings and PPS earnings is retained as "extra credit", and considered in future blocks.

I agree that making it clearer would be useful - perhaps adding "and is not guaranteed" at the end there might help.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.