Bitcoin Forum
December 04, 2016, 04:16:51 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [0 GH/s 0% fee SMPPS] ArsBitcoin mining pool!  (Read 117388 times)
micc

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:22:22 AM

my longest running machine

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9889/capturesu.jpg
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kislam

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 11:44:33 AM

Well, everyone seems pretty eager to know about Merged Mining at ARS. So what I'd like to know from BT is confirmation of any of the following (I think everyone wants to know):

* Merged Mining is just around the corner, we are working out the final kinks, or
  * Merged Mining is being worked on and will be implemented soon, or
  * Merged Mining is being considered, but will take some time, so don't hold your breath, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned at the moment, but might be implemented in the future, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned and will not be implemented in the foreseeable future

BT should note that the amount of interest regarding merged mining at ARS is an excellent sign meaning that a lot of people want to join ARS but are currently on the fence due to the added benefit of merged mining at other pools. So please, let us know as soon as you can...

1PMHA7hyqqbcCbjMfwvKT4xEZ81EYasJze
wndrbr3d

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:35:30 PM

I for one welcome merged mining as it will continue the decline in bitcoin difficulty and make things easier for those of us sticking purely to BTC Wink
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

Well, everyone seems pretty eager to know about Merged Mining at ARS. So what I'd like to know from BT is confirmation of any of the following (I think everyone wants to know):

* Merged Mining is just around the corner, we are working out the final kinks, or
  * Merged Mining is being worked on and will be implemented soon, or
  * Merged Mining is being considered, but will take some time, so don't hold your breath, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned at the moment, but might be implemented in the future, or
  * Merged Mining is not planned and will not be implemented in the foreseeable future

BT should note that the amount of interest regarding merged mining at ARS is an excellent sign meaning that a lot of people want to join ARS but are currently on the fence due to the added benefit of merged mining at other pools. So please, let us know as soon as you can...

This is what needs to happen IMHO.
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 10:59:19 AM

I'm not overly concerned about merged mining - I'd prefer that development efforts be concentrated on hardening the pool against the increasingly fashionable phenomenon of DDoS attacks.

I'm not a big fish (well, giant catfish are pretty large but metaphorically, I'm a small fish in the BTC pond, and besides, 'catfish' as a whole describe species of fish from the smallest to the largest, so, ahem off topic again) and only have 7 GH/s to point at the pool. However, getting all 7 GH/s actually working requires constant manual hopping around servers and restarting Phoenix when the server stops providing work, etc.

Firstly, I found out that there were two servers available from the Pool Stats. However, the IP addresses and/or DNS names of said servers aren't immediately obvious anywhere. The simple setup (arsbitcoin.com) may be some fancy dynamic DNS thing to avoid attacks, but my version of phoenix and/or Linux (1.50 / 11.04) doesn't seem to move the IP around (is it?). If it isn't, then it presumably points to Server 1.

This was painfully obvious when server 1 went down for whatever reason (DDoS, maintenance, whatever) and all the big dogs at the top of the leaderboard disappeared, apart from jimbit who knew about server 2 and was using cgminer to failover to the second server. So where's the documentation on where the different server IPs are? When Slush had the attacks, his front page had 'new address api2.mining.cz' or whatever he used then.

I ended up resorting to IRC (eh, took me back to me hacking days when I were a lad, good old times Cheesy ) where luckily jimbit was around and pointed out that there were apparently server1.arsbitcoin.com and server2.arsbitcoin.com. Apologies if this is 'secret' for 'security through obscurity' but I'm a firm believer that security through obscurity is a half-arsed waste of time. Especially against the types who are doing DDoS attacks on bitcoin pools.

So I re-code my proprietary miner control scripts (when they're tidy, I'll release the whole setup shebang as a one-script Linux build, and get flamed by Inaba in the process for piggybacking off his work, no doubt, even though he's credited in the code) to allow the miners to either use server1 or server2.

Now it appears that server1.arsbitcoin.com doesn't resolve to anything, whereas server2.arsbitcoin.com still exists. So my code only works on server2.

BT, sorry to be a nag old chap, but can you tell me where the documentation is? How many servers have you got, how does your DNS work - if you've got loads of hidden IPs and can jump around to avoid DDoS then how do I set up a miner to re-resolve the IP address from arsbitcoin.com (if you've set the validity timeout to a much shorter period, it appears that 'normal' software like phoenix doesn't change, or Ubuntu is caching the IP for too long, or, more likely, my own server (Mac OS X - mostly BSD but the DNS service is BIND and isn't some kooky Apple stuff) isn't updating)?

If it should 'just work' because you've got DNS load balancing and a short query time - please let me know, because it may be a problem at my end in my network. And I'm not posting the exact version of my DNS software here just in case some scallywag decides to challenge an old hacker Wink

Of course, if the downtime that I've been seeing is nothing to do with organised crime and the pool DDoS threats that closed down my previous favourite pool... and it's due to overload / maintenance, can we have a regularly updated ticker on the main Pool Stats webpage (which I have visible at most times) giving guidance for when miners should re-point their workers at a new server? Please?

It appears from the boldness of the text that most of the big players are contributing 1% or more now, and there are many more double-digit Gigahash players on your leaderboard. Hell, I used to be around 23rd but I've dropped right off because my miners cannot sustain anything like their 7 GH/sec due to constant disconnections and 'empty work queue' issues.

It'd be great to say it's all due to my system being crap, but I've only seen these constant 'empty work queue' problems with phoenix since I switched to this pool. Currently I'm only posting 4.6 GH/s and four of my miners are 'work queue empty, miner is idle' - I have to manually restart them (haven't automated this in code yet, looks like a priority).

Can anyone let me know if this is a known config problem (i.e. I'm an idiot) and how to solve, or whether it's a pool problem with phoenix (should I upgrade the software?), and whether I should be sticking to arsbitcoin.com as the ONLY DNS name to use - and that load balancing *should* work (indicating OS X is at fault)? If not - what are the server names and where should I go to find out if they change? (as at now, server1.arsbitcoin.com doesn't resolve, server2.arsbitcoin.com DOES resolve but doesn't respond to pings (OK, ICMP turned off, fair enough) and I'm not going to try to DNS mine your box because I'll look like a 'bad' hacker).

Just a few questions - it's not that I'm a leaderboard whore who wants to look like a player - as I said, I'm only a small catfish. But if I'm paying for the electricity - and I am, and I'm in the UK, and it's fecking expensive - I want my miners working non-stop. An idling GPU may not consume as much power as a flat-out one, but it's still wasting energy, and when an entire mining rig is idle, it's all waste (I have a modular miner platform with 4-GPU rigs)...

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
kislam

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:34:55 PM

I'm not overly concerned about merged mining - I'd prefer that development efforts be concentrated on hardening the pool against the increasingly fashionable phenomenon of DDoS attacks.

completely agree -- if BT is concentrating his efforts on making the pool more robust, then that's highly commendable. by all means put merged mining on hold until you accomplish those (more important) goals. it's not like i have to mine here, it's just that i'd like to Smiley

i only wanted to know what's going on.

BT hasn't posted in this forum since 28th, it appears. so looks like we just have to wait...

1PMHA7hyqqbcCbjMfwvKT4xEZ81EYasJze
likuidxd

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:27:30 PM

Firstly, I found out that there were two servers available from the Pool Stats. However, the IP addresses and/or DNS names of said servers aren't immediately obvious anywhere. The simple setup (arsbitcoin.com) may be some fancy dynamic DNS thing to avoid attacks, but my version of phoenix and/or Linux (1.50 / 11.04) doesn't seem to move the IP around (is it?). If it isn't, then it presumably points to Server 1.

This was painfully obvious when server 1 went down for whatever reason (DDoS, maintenance, whatever) and all the big dogs at the top of the leaderboard disappeared, apart from jimbit who knew about server 2 and was using cgminer to failover to the second server. So where's the documentation on where the different server IPs are? When Slush had the attacks, his front page had 'new address api2.mining.cz' or whatever he used then.

I ended up resorting to IRC (eh, took me back to me hacking days when I were a lad, good old times Cheesy ) where luckily jimbit was around and pointed out that there were apparently server1.arsbitcoin.com and server2.arsbitcoin.com. Apologies if this is 'secret' for 'security through obscurity' but I'm a firm believer that security through obscurity is a half-arsed waste of time. Especially against the types who are doing DDoS attacks on bitcoin pools.

There had been an announcement under pool stats for a very long time about server2

BurningToad

Activity: 207

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 03:31:22 PM

Hello,

Sorry guys, the reality right now is:

1) I haven't done anything to improve the pool in at least a month.
2) All I've done is try and keep it up.  I usually get a text message when it messes up, but not always.  Each server (main and 2) seems to randomly fail occasionally (both PoolServerJ and pushpool.)  I haven't had time to try and figure out the root cause.  Basically PSJ/pushpool degrade after a while and need a restart.
3) I haven't done the numbers, but I'm probably losing money each day at the moment on this because EC2 is expensive and the BTC price is low.  The bill this last month was ~$400+ with the two servers + bandwidth costs.
4) I'm closer to bringing the pool down than I am to implementing merged mining or anything else.
5) I'm having some personal problems and issues just trying to do work for my real job, so the priority for this right now is very low.  In fact the pool is probably mostly still up (instead of being taken down) because it is more effort to take it down cleanly (provide notice, email everyone, resolve coin balances, etc.) than it is to keep it in its current state.

So, I apologize, but that is how things stand at the moment.  I can't guarantee anything for the future, i.e. whether I will take the pool down, or finally work on improving it, etc.

likuidxd

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 03:44:09 PM

Hello,

2) All I've done is try and keep it up.  I usually get a text message when it messes up, but not always.  Each server (main and 2) seems to randomly fail occasionally (both PoolServerJ and pushpool.)  I haven't had time to try and figure out the root cause.  Basically PSJ/pushpool degrade after a while and need a restart.
3) I haven't done the numbers, but I'm probably losing money each day at the moment on this because EC2 is expensive and the BTC price is low.  The bill this last month was ~$400+ with the two servers + bandwidth costs.
4) I'm closer to bringing the pool down than I am to implementing merged mining or anything else.
5) I'm having some personal problems and issues just trying to do work for my real job, so the priority for this right now is very low.  In fact the pool is probably mostly still up (instead of being taken down) because it is more effort to take it down cleanly (provide notice, email everyone, resolve coin balances, etc.) than it is to keep it in its current state.

So, I apologize, but that is how things stand at the moment.  I can't guarantee anything for the future, i.e. whether I will take the pool down, or finally work on improving it, etc.

Hey BT,
I'm sorry to hear of you personal problems and the stress of maintaining this wonderful service. Before you decide to do anything drastic with arsbitcoin, please get in touch with me! As many would probably agree, this pool is to good to disappear. Hope things get better for you BT.

-LikuidXd

btc_artist

Activity: 154

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 03:46:41 PM

I was going to say something like what likuidxd said.  I personally don't have any experience running a pool (although I'm interested in learning), but perhaps someone can take over the responsibilities instead of closing it?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 07:48:30 PM

I have to agree.  The pool is too good to just die.  We need good medium sized pools. 

I am sure someone would be willing to step up and take over the pool. 
Maybe they could even buy BurningToad out (a lot cheaper than trying to start a pool from scratch).
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 12:01:20 AM

Hello,

Apologies if it was my rant that brought this out. Very sorry to hear of personal problems, I have been through the mill myself and won't enquire as to what they are; the only fact is that they are more important than the pool. Your personal state, mental and physical health, come before the pool so apologies if my questions came off a bit demanding.

If all you've been doing is restarting services on an ad-hoc basis, the pool is a billion times better than I expected... yes that sounds somewhat sarcastic but it's not - it's ironically impressed.

If you're close to closing the pool - please do open it up to the floor - I've been a member of one great pool that closed down (in simply sick circumstances), and it'd be a shame to see another great pool go down. There seem to be members here who would step up to take the baton from you; only you can decide whether any followers would run the pool as well as you have, but I sincerely implore you to allow someone here (preferably long-term trusted and known) to pick up where you leave off (if you decide to stop, of course!).

And thank you sincerely for replying, it's much appreciated. I hadn't realised that you hadn't posted to the thread for so long. Hang in there chap...

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
rcsheets

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 06, 2011, 08:42:47 AM

Could you elaborate on your infrastructure needs? I may be able to provide you with some low-to-no-cost space, bandwidth, etc. if I could better understand the resource requirements.
runlinux

Activity: 567

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2011, 01:43:36 PM

If things to take a turn for the worst, just let us know.

Internet151

Activity: 174

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 03:40:08 AM

Looks like I need to start looking for a new home for my 32 GH/s... =(
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 08:14:32 AM

Looks like I need to start looking for a new home for my 32 GH/s... =(

0 fee PPS....   good luck with that - none will survive

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:42:03 AM

Man, Best pool theres ever been, Noticed stales rising over last few weeks. PLEASE PLEASE dont let this pool die, There are people here willing to help and learn and im sure a few people would pitch in to help/spread work load. Good community here as well.

Maybe post a 'volenteer' sections, Im sure many people would be willing put a bit of there time and knowledge in. Doing it all alone is a big ask now the pool as grown to a 1TH beast Smiley
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 158

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:27:24 PM

Haven't been able to access the site for a couple days. Anyone know whats up?

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
I use the blockchain to power my rotating love bed.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 09:29:02 PM

Haven't been able to access the site for a couple days. Anyone know whats up?

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/arsbitcoin.com
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 158

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 02:27:19 AM

I'm completely blocked from accessing it on my end. Weird.

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
I use the blockchain to power my rotating love bed.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.