Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:49:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs Forced "On Hold For Refund" for all my Single SC orders  (Read 59145 times)
Endlessa

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:20:37 PM

the Implied contract your talking about is covered under UCC there it the revision (which I understand to be the controlling factor) for the state of missouri:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C400-499/40002A0505.HTM

400.2A-505. (1) On cancellation of the lease contract, all obligations that are still executory on both sides are discharged, but any right based on prior default or performance survives, and the cancelling party also retains any remedy for default of the whole lease contract or any unperformed balance.

(2) On termination of the lease contract, all obligations that are still executory on both sides are discharged but any right based on prior default or performance survives.

(3) Unless the contrary intention clearly appears, expressions of "cancellation", "rescission", or the like of the lease contract may not be construed as a renunciation or discharge of any claim in damages for an antecedent default.

(4) Rights and remedies for material misrepresentation or fraud include all rights and remedies available under this Article for default.

(5) Neither rescission nor a claim for rescission of the lease contract nor rejection or return of the goods may bar or be deemed inconsistent with a claim for damages or other right or remedy.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap407.htm
407.020. 1. The act, use or employment by any person of any deception, fraud, false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation, unfair practice or the concealment, suppression, or omission of any material fact in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise in trade or commerce or the solicitation of any funds for any charitable purpose, as defined in section 407.453, in or from the state of Missouri, is declared to be an unlawful practice. The use by any person, in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise in trade or commerce or the solicitation of any funds for any charitable purpose, as defined in section 407.453, in or from the state of Missouri of the fact that the attorney general has approved any filing required by this chapter as the approval, sanction or endorsement of any activity, project or action of such person, is declared to be an unlawful practice. Any act, use or employment declared unlawful by this subsection violates this subsection whether committed before, during or after the sale, advertisement or solicitation.
That I believe would be the governing statute in the state of Missouri

Now I'm no lawyer, so correct me where you see fit to argue point or redirect me to where you feel I haven't looked.

but it seems that (1) says that cancellation relieves both parties from "obligations that are still executory", so unless he can prove prior breach, there is no recourse

please let me know if I miss something.

also  christians(xian)'s order https://i.imgur.com/V2b80U1.jpg
was placed when the web site appeared like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120628113158/http://www.butterflylabs.com/order-form-bitforce-sc-single/

it cleared stated "currently scheduled for October", which clearly show "scheduled" not "shipping" which is a huge difference.

so that's out as point of default

Yes, when he ordered it was scheduled for October. After that date came and went, the series of misrepresentations about the state of the product became more numerous. But even before then, statements about measurements of power usage and performance were made. It was only after BFL shipped their first few units that people realized that those claims about power usage could not possibly have been valid. In fact, there is much evidence to suggest that BFL did not have any working chips at all by October 2012. Of course, that would have made it impossible to measure the power usage of them.

and since he and everybody else who didn't just accept the refund agreed to the new specification in accordance with UCC, there isn't much else to say... .

now I'm no lawyer and this isn't to be construed as legal advice, feel free to point to the mistakes, as I would enjoy learning through interaction. Smiley truly Smiley

Yes. Having their customers agree to the new specifications was a very important legal hurdle for BFL to surmount. Had they not done so, they would have been up a creek sans paddle so to speak. The problem is that BFL took payment in full for the pre-orders. Most companies do not charge your card for the full amount until they can ship you the product. They authorize the purchase, but do not complete it. BFL could not support credit cards to pre-order because CC companies frown on imaginary products being sold (they will yank your account and freeze your funds). That puts them into a very gray legal area. For instance, how do they account for those funds? They cannot be sales because they have not shipped the units. Do they collect sales tax? Do they escrow the funds? Are they using the funds for capital investments and/or development? Did they notify their customers that their pre-order funds would be used for these purposes and does that constitute a solicitation of investment?

so I see this a good old game of chase the point. . .
actually the process of getting their customers to agree was non-voluntary and in compliance with the legal guidelines established by the UCC (you can look that up I'm not your personal wikipedia Tongue ). not only was it proper, but legally necessary to continue the "implied" contract you are so fond of. also required by Missouri consumer protections. .  . . .Most companies do charge pre-orders. . .otherwise it's called a reservation. . .just look up Duke Nukem' receipt on google images that poor bastard had a 11 y.o. pre-order receipt.
int03h

Activity: 532
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:22:21 PM

The ones who shout the loudest have avalon asics and they really, really, really want BFL to fail - to the point they can taste it. More asics = less coins for them. I fear the need for you 'old timers' to want to educate us noobs is less altruism and more greed.
Wait, you mean we have nothing to gain by having BFL ship and meet their performance specs?

Here I am sitting on a ton of BitCoins and my whoredom to Avalon is so great that I wouldn't ever dream/want to make money from a cheaper (yet unreliable?) alternative called BFL?

Raise your hand if you wouldn't buy from a cheaper alternative? I buy hardware to mine Bitcoins, not to "date" the vendors rep.

-----------------

The only truth is I am waiting to see if "the Avalon Clones" being made are worthwhile. They may be alot cheaper than even the BFL Hardware. Their reliability is still an unanswerable question. In which case, if BFL fails it will be my first strategic choice.

Your assumptions are distorted and inane.

Your fascination with the word distorted is noted. You have used it at least once in last few posts. You also mentioned NLP a little while back. I am sure there is a link here somewhere... help me figure it out.

I hope you arent fixing hard drives today :
https://plus.google.com/104100515304524528467/about?gl=us&hl=en

Did you get my postcards?

oh shit .. did I let the cat out the bag .. fuck .. ooopss

Endlessa

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:24:03 PM

A more apt analogy:
You pay in advance entrance fee to a club...
Club turns out to be an empty warehouse filled with fans...
Bouncer threatens you for warning others about the club.
in this case, you take your smokes - finish your drink (assuming they had a bar - in which case there was no need to get comfortable ) - take the refund they offer you at the door and fuck off.

Except that I paid a lot of money to attend the club grand opening a year ago, and they threw me out for complaining about the lack of drinks and music when the DJ was laughing at all of us for paying the cover charge.

They threw  you out and said, "Go home xian you are drunk!"

I like that too...

The trouble is that xian can no longer respond to you, seeing as he stated he is 'ignoring' you. Although he did previously state that he added me to his 'ignore' list - but later replied anyway, so you might get lucky...
yeah but the best part is he see you quoting me Smiley so what did that tool really accomplish?

No he wont see my posts because he has 'apparently' marked me as 'ignored' too - so we are safe

damn it somebody quote this so Xian has to see it!!!
int03h

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:25:06 PM

I am not really clear on what it is you were implying

And you never will be. You could get 1000 posts in a day and you would still not understand a thing.

So you refuse to articulate the bet, but continue to talk shit. I see.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:26:01 PM

And you never will be. You could get 1000 posts in a day and you would still not understand a thing.

K9 - so assuming you have been following and read the posts in this thread from the beginning - are you defending xian's actions towards BFL?

[EDIT] and do you think it wise he blew away $15k by bitching when he could have sold his 2012 pre-order (for 5 x what he paid).

With hindsight, of course he should have sold his units. I personally never thought BFL would stoop to canceling the orders of angry customers. Especially the ones from June/July of 2012. I *think* BFL has the right to refund any of the pre-orders, should they wish to do so. On the other hand, that might open them up to legal issues if they don't deliver on a significant chunk of their pre-orders. I have already posted the relevant sections of Missouri law they are in violation of. It seems to be a pretty powerful statute.

It is pretty clear Xian could have gotten more than just his refund had he sold his orders on these forums. He has also been a bit strident about it, his spelling and grammar have been mediocre as well. However, he is righteously pissed, and I am not at my literary best when I am upset either. Still, his actions in this thread leave a lot of room for improvement.  Wink

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Endlessa

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:26:53 PM

The ones who shout the loudest have avalon asics and they really, really, really want BFL to fail - to the point they can taste it. More asics = less coins for them. I fear the need for you 'old timers' to want to educate us noobs is less altruism and more greed.
Wait, you mean we have nothing to gain by having BFL ship and meet their performance specs?

Here I am sitting on a ton of BitCoins and my whoredom to Avalon is so great that I wouldn't ever dream/want to make money from a cheaper (yet unreliable?) alternative called BFL?

Raise your hand if you wouldn't buy from a cheaper alternative? I buy hardware to mine Bitcoins, not to "date" the vendors rep.

-----------------

The only truth is I am waiting to see if "the Avalon Clones" being made are worthwhile. They may be alot cheaper than even the BFL Hardware. Their reliability is still an unanswerable question. In which case, if BFL fails it will be my first strategic choice.

Your fascination with the word distorted is noted. You have used it at least once in last few posts. You also mentioned NLP a little while back. I am sure there is a link here somewhere... help me figure it out.

God damn it wtf with all the retards in texas.  .I need to gtfo before it rubs off. .. .
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:28:18 PM

You don't understand anything I articulate, remember?  So dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas lacinia lacinia molestie. Maecenas porttitor consectetur nulla non pretium. Mauris at risus ut leo luctus eleifend.

int03h

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:28:39 PM

A more apt analogy:
You pay in advance entrance fee to a club...
Club turns out to be an empty warehouse filled with fans...
Bouncer threatens you for warning others about the club.
in this case, you take your smokes - finish your drink (assuming they had a bar - in which case there was no need to get comfortable ) - take the refund they offer you at the door and fuck off.

Except that I paid a lot of money to attend the club grand opening a year ago, and they threw me out for complaining about the lack of drinks and music when the DJ was laughing at all of us for paying the cover charge.

They threw  you out and said, "Go home xian you are drunk!"

I like that too...

The trouble is that xian can no longer respond to you, seeing as he stated he is 'ignoring' you. Although he did previously state that he added me to his 'ignore' list - but later replied anyway, so you might get lucky...
yeah but the best part is he see you quoting me Smiley so what did that tool really accomplish?

No he wont see my posts because he has 'apparently' marked me as 'ignored' too - so we are safe

damn it somebody quote this so Xian has to see it!!!

Quoted without prejudice.
int03h

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:31:06 PM

You don't understand anything I articulate, remember?  So dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas lacinia lacinia molestie. Maecenas porttitor consectetur nulla non pretium. Mauris at risus ut leo luctus eleifend.

Sorry I am a noob.. I don't understand .. throw a dog a bone..

Umm .. I believe we were discussing a bet ... you still talking shit .. or is your money where you mouth isn't ?
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:31:50 PM

K9 - so assuming you have been following and read the posts in this thread from the beginning - are you defending xian's actions towards BFL?

[EDIT] and do you think it wise he blew away $15k by bitching when he could have sold his 2012 pre-order (for 5 x what he paid).

With hindsight, of course he should have sold his units. I personally never thought BFL would stoop to canceling the orders of angry customers. Especially the ones from June/July of 2012. I *think* BFL has the right to refund any of the pre-orders, should they wish to do so. On the other hand, that might open them up to legal issues if they don't deliver on a significant chunk of their pre-orders. I have already posted the relevant sections of Missouri law they are in violation of. It seems to be a pretty powerful statute.

It is pretty clear Xian could have gotten more than just his refund had he sold his orders on these forums. He has also been a bit strident about it, his spelling and grammar have been mediocre as well. However, he is righteously pissed, and I am not at my literary best when I am upset either. Still, his actions in this thread leave a lot of room for improvement.  Wink

I take your point that forcing a cancellation from an angry customer is bad - and I think unprecedented for BFL - if it is unprecedented which I think it is - does that not make you think how bad this guys rants must have been...

donations not accepted
Endlessa

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:32:49 PM

-----------------

Lila York reviewed a year ago
Overall Poor to fair
didn't understand data recovery. had to send it to new york then lost the drive!!

that right there. . .it's priceless
int03h

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:54:45 PM

It is pretty clear Xian could have gotten more than just his refund had he sold his orders on these forums. He has also been a bit strident about it, his spelling and grammar have been mediocre as well. However, he is righteously pissed, and I am not at my literary best when I am upset either. Still, his actions in this thread leave a lot of room for improvement.  Wink

I take your point that forcing a cancellation from an angry customer is bad - and I think unprecedented for BFL - if it is unprecedented which I think it is - does that not make you think how bad this guys rants must have been...

I have a personal opinion about this .. but lets put that aside. 

What I find fascinating is that he perpetuates the same behaviour and then is surprised that the result is what it was and then echos the reason it happened as a reason about why it shouldn't have happened.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 11:59:40 PM

Do they collect sales tax?

Why the fuck didn't I think of this earlier! Either the pre-orders are considered sales or people of considered investors. It can't be both ways.

On the sales front, if BFL on record in stating that pre-orders are considered sales, somehow nixing the investor aspect?

If sales, then sales tax MUST have been paid to the state of Kansas and Missouri, for they were located in the latter last year.

Now that April 15, has come and gone, I'm wondering if they filed, stating them millions of dollars of gross sales. The IRS does pay a 10% bounty for turning in non-payers.

https://www.kssst.kdor.ks.gov/webLookupResults.cfm

Combined Code :   OVEJO
Combined Jurisdiction :   Overland Park
Total Tax Rate:   8.65%

Tax Entities
State Of Kansas:   6.300%
Johnson County:   1.225%
City of Overland Park:   1.125%
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:59:59 PM

the Implied contract your talking about is covered under UCC there it the revision (which I understand to be the controlling factor) for the state of missouri:

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C400-499/40002A0505.HTM

400.2A-505. (1) On cancellation of the lease contract, all obligations that are still executory on both sides are discharged, but any right based on prior default or performance survives, and the cancelling party also retains any remedy for default of the whole lease contract or any unperformed balance.

(2) On termination of the lease contract, all obligations that are still executory on both sides are discharged but any right based on prior default or performance survives.

(3) Unless the contrary intention clearly appears, expressions of "cancellation", "rescission", or the like of the lease contract may not be construed as a renunciation or discharge of any claim in damages for an antecedent default.

(4) Rights and remedies for material misrepresentation or fraud include all rights and remedies available under this Article for default.

(5) Neither rescission nor a claim for rescission of the lease contract nor rejection or return of the goods may bar or be deemed inconsistent with a claim for damages or other right or remedy.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap407.htm
407.020. 1. The act, use or employment by any person of any deception, fraud, false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation, unfair practice or the concealment, suppression, or omission of any material fact in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise in trade or commerce or the solicitation of any funds for any charitable purpose, as defined in section 407.453, in or from the state of Missouri, is declared to be an unlawful practice. The use by any person, in connection with the sale or advertisement of any merchandise in trade or commerce or the solicitation of any funds for any charitable purpose, as defined in section 407.453, in or from the state of Missouri of the fact that the attorney general has approved any filing required by this chapter as the approval, sanction or endorsement of any activity, project or action of such person, is declared to be an unlawful practice. Any act, use or employment declared unlawful by this subsection violates this subsection whether committed before, during or after the sale, advertisement or solicitation.
That I believe would be the governing statute in the state of Missouri

Now I'm no lawyer, so correct me where you see fit to argue point or redirect me to where you feel I haven't looked.

but it seems that (1) says that cancellation relieves both parties from "obligations that are still executory", so unless he can prove prior breach, there is no recourse

please let me know if I miss something.

also  christians(xian)'s order https://i.imgur.com/V2b80U1.jpg
was placed when the web site appeared like this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120628113158/http://www.butterflylabs.com/order-form-bitforce-sc-single/

it cleared stated "currently scheduled for October", which clearly show "scheduled" not "shipping" which is a huge difference.

so that's out as point of default

Yes, when he ordered it was scheduled for October. After that date came and went, the series of misrepresentations about the state of the product became more numerous. But even before then, statements about measurements of power usage and performance were made. It was only after BFL shipped their first few units that people realized that those claims about power usage could not possibly have been valid. In fact, there is much evidence to suggest that BFL did not have any working chips at all by October 2012. Of course, that would have made it impossible to measure the power usage of them.

and since he and everybody else who didn't just accept the refund agreed to the new specification in accordance with UCC, there isn't much else to say... .

now I'm no lawyer and this isn't to be construed as legal advice, feel free to point to the mistakes, as I would enjoy learning through interaction. Smiley truly Smiley

Yes. Having their customers agree to the new specifications was a very important legal hurdle for BFL to surmount. Had they not done so, they would have been up a creek sans paddle so to speak. The problem is that BFL took payment in full for the pre-orders. Most companies do not charge your card for the full amount until they can ship you the product. They authorize the purchase, but do not complete it. BFL could not support credit cards to pre-order because CC companies frown on imaginary products being sold (they will yank your account and freeze your funds). That puts them into a very gray legal area. For instance, how do they account for those funds? They cannot be sales because they have not shipped the units. Do they collect sales tax? Do they escrow the funds? Are they using the funds for capital investments and/or development? Did they notify their customers that their pre-order funds would be used for these purposes and does that constitute a solicitation of investment?

so I see this a good old game of chase the point. . .
actually the process of getting their customers to agree was non-voluntary and in compliance with the legal guidelines established by the UCC (you can look that up I'm not your personal wikipedia Tongue ).  not only was it proper, but legally necessary to continue the "implied" contract you are so fond of. also required by Missouri consumer protections.
I said it was important for them to have their customers agree to the new specifications. See my bolded quote. I am not sure why you would call me agreeing with you a game of chase the point.

. . .Most companies do charge pre-orders. . .otherwise it's called a reservation.
That is not true at all AFAIK. Amazon, Ebay, Barnes & Nobles, and Newegg will authorize the purchase (which is reserves the balance on your card, but does not count as money you have spent and you pay no interest) for an item not in stock, but will not actually charge the purchase to your card until the item you ordered ships. You can try it and then check your credit card statement online. For larger purchases, most companies take a deposit for pre-orders like houses, cars, in order to limit their liability.

Relevant pages from retailers about pre-order items:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?pid=26974
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201132830
http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/386/kw/pre%20order%20charges/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2OTUyNjQxNi9zaWQvNkgxQmg2cmw%3D

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:04:15 AM

Bad for whom? Why does BFL care what some random person types on these forums? Josh himself has already declared that bitcointalk.org is irrelevant to them.
AFAIK, BFL has the power to review every post on their forums, so there is no excuse for content appearing there that they do not condone. That is what makes me curious. Unless Xian struck a nerve. Impossible to know at this stage.

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:06:05 AM

Umm .. I believe we were discussing a bet ... you still talking shit .. or is your money where you mouth isn't ?

Have someone explain my post to you. It was clear, concise, and to the point. Moreover, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut at nulla enim, sed pretium odio.

int03h

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:06:45 AM

Do they collect sales tax?

Why the fuck didn't I think of this earlier! Either the pre-orders are considered sales or people of considered investors. It can't be both ways.

On the sales front, if BFL on record in stating that pre-orders are considered sales, somehow nixing the investor aspect?

If sales, then sales tax MUST have been paid to the state of Kansas and Missouri, for they were located in the latter last year.

Now that April 15, has come and gone, I'm wondering if they filed, stating them millions of dollars of gross sales. The IRS does pay a 10% bounty for turning in non-payers.

https://www.kssst.kdor.ks.gov/webLookupResults.cfm

Combined Code :   OVEJO
Combined Jurisdiction :   Overland Park
Total Tax Rate:   8.65%

Tax Entities
State Of Kansas:   6.300%
Johnson County:   1.225%
City of Overland Park:   1.125%

Creditors. Asset. Not hard if you understand balance sheets. NOT INCOME.

Again .. try harder .. your fail is so fail its fucking failing at failing .. hard.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:09:44 AM

BFL is cancelling pre-orders that paid $149, so that they can sell them at the new $249 price point. Extremely disreputable business practice.

Buy & Hold
int03h

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:09:57 AM

Have someone explain my post to you. It was clear, concise, and to the point. Moreover, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut at nulla enim, sed pretium odio.

Why don't you do it ? I am clearly very dumb .. break it down for me ..
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 12:13:06 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2013, 12:25:59 AM by nottm28

I take your point that forcing a cancellation from an angry customer is bad - and I think unprecedented for BFL - if it is unprecedented which I think it is - does that not make you think how bad this guys rants must have been?

Bad for whom?

Well, bad for xian here - because his bitching lost him a potential $15k clear profit - that's a lot of coins.

Why does BFL care what some random person types on these forums?

Not just here on bct - everywhere he could lay his hands on - *including* bfl forums

Josh himself has already declared that bitcointalk.org is irrelevant to them.
AFAIK, BFL has the power to review every post on their forums, so there is no excuse for content appearing there that they do not condone. That is what makes me curious. Unless Xian struck a nerve. Impossible to know at this stage.

I still think the guy (xian) is his own worst enemy sorry...

donations not accepted
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 »
  Print  

Jump to: