Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:05:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
testerx

Activity: 608
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:11:15 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2013, 03:33:21 AM by testerx

[the way, you need to see an eye doctor and get new reading glasses.   Cool

There is another poster "who seems to be unhappy with cointerra" RIGHT HERE ON THIS VERY PAGE AND YET YOU STILL BLATHER AND RANT COMPLETELY IGNORANT OF THAT FACT:

So I spoke with Cointerra today and apparently I really am one of the few idiots who didn't switch batches since apparently the December batch is now very small compared to the January batch.  Guess I should have switched batches along with everyone else since the early January orders will be shipping immediately after the December batch is done.  Doh.

lets ask them... testerx.. please comment.  are you unhappy with cointerra?  did you ask to switch your december batch into the january batch (and get twice the hashpower, etc) ?   were you refused if you did ask?   did you decide to stay in the december batch to get one of the first, whatever the delivery date?  etc?   do please share your wisdom.

Not sure if I should get into this fun flame fest but I did speak to them and the January batch is long gone so I can't switch into it and they said they wouldn't be shipping extra hash rate or any other kind of compensation either unless somehow hey get delayed past Jan 31 (i.e. per their contract) which they didn't anticipate to occur. I wouldn't say that I'm super unhappy, since I did agree to these terms when ordering originally and it sounds like I will be getting the miner soon, but I would say I was annoyed, though part of this is with myself for not switching sooner.  Still, I didn't know they would be shipping them back to back like this in January and given the huge price differential I had figured they would be spacing out the batches when they did ship them-I get why they can't do that now since the competition is shipping huge amounts of hashrate but as an early believer who was willing to pay over twice as much as later adopters...to get the same hashrate only a couple of weeks earlier for 2.4x the price is indeed upsetting.

So...I'm not the super unhappy camper ice claims I am but I am disappointed that they're not doing something for the December purchases to even things out vs the January orders, especially since they originally had a price drop guarantee for the December batch.  The way the price was lowered but via a second batch that will ship sequentially is somewhat upsetting but it's been like five months at this point so I do shoulder blame for not asking earlier-though again I didn't realize they would be shipping both batches in January like this.

That said, I am still considering ordering more units in the future in all likelihood so evidently I'm apparently not unhappy enough to drop them or maybe a sucker for punishment.  I guess I'll see which one I am soon enough lol.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
testerx

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:13:59 AM

Also, I am not unhappy, or anything like that, for those who are curious. I think they are doing a good job.

I will wait and let everyone know what Cointerra tells me.

If they do end up sending the Jan orders very quickly after the Dec orders and didn't do anything to reimburse the people with Dec orders I would be unhappy though.
Did they offer you anything in compensation?  They said they couldn't do anything now to me even though I was also offering to purchase a new (and much larger) order with them.  Maybe I didn't sound upset since I was at my workplace, haha.  But I honestly do think they should bump up the hashrate or something for December orders at the very least since it's so delayed and they were over twice the price.  Maybe I will need to make another call.
testerx

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:15:43 AM

I'm curious why CoolIT went for what appears to be 1/4" tubing for such a high heat load. You don't see 1/4" tubing in any serious PC water cooling gear anymore (last time I saw it was the $100 kingwin cooling systems back when the total dissipation of CPU+GPU was maybe 125W total). The radiator appears to be similar in size to a car's heatercore. Those usually have 1/2" hoses or larger.

Seems silly to waste the huge radiator surface area with such restrictive tubing, but that's just me.
Water has a pretty high ability to take on heat so the crazy flow that overclockers usually go for is probably a bit overkill.
testerx

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:47:40 AM

Last time my food was overly late at a restaurant, I said something to the waitress.  They deducted half of the meal off the bill.
I was extremely happy (almost as happy as a Cointerra customer!), and I now eat there all the time.  

This sounds fair to me.  Smiley  I was happy.  They were happy.  Everyone is happy.  

If someone didn't catch the PR mentioning the option to move their order to the January batch, that is their own fault for not paying attention.  
PR is there for a reason, and that is to provide important information to us about progress and shipping dates.  

Cointerra didn't do anything wrong, and I am looking forward to receiving my 2TH/S miner Smiley

Never... NEVER bet on ice..

I don't think it was in a PR release was it?  At least I didn't notice this in a release, but I might have missed it since I don't usually read the PR releases in super detail.  I did order both a December and a January order.
aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:05:01 AM

I'm curious why CoolIT went for what appears to be 1/4" tubing for such a high heat load. You don't see 1/4" tubing in any serious PC water cooling gear anymore (last time I saw it was the $100 kingwin cooling systems back when the total dissipation of CPU+GPU was maybe 125W total). The radiator appears to be similar in size to a car's heatercore. Those usually have 1/2" hoses or larger.

Seems silly to waste the huge radiator surface area with such restrictive tubing, but that's just me.
Water has a pretty high ability to take on heat so the crazy flow that overclockers usually go for is probably a bit overkill.

water carries a lot more heat than air.  the tubes don't need to be that thick to carry the heat away.  pc over clockers not only go for performance but for what looks nice.  often they use ultraviolet coloured liquid... and uv tubing with wacky colours.  for our needs, this is overkill... and as long as the flow rate matches the pump/radiator/fan combination, then they will cool at max performance.   

also since the tubing is presumably the lowest cost part of the cooling system, it seems unlikely they would've skimped on that bit and have provided us the right tubing.

also.. the flow rate out of the radiator is 2x what it would be with a single 'loop' as each radiator supplies two asics in parallel.   ( doesn't bring liquid thats been pre-warmed from another asic)...  probably works better than pc enthusiast systems where they have one loop that rings around all the components in series.

davepsilon

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:49:40 PM

I wouldn't have taken it because having a unit a month earlier would be worth the difference in price. But now it sounds like that won't be the case.

"Sounds like?"  It's definitely the case (not that you'd know from the Cointerra OP or offical posts).

Oh sorry, I forgot you're still at an early point in the early stages of the grieving process (IE 'denial'), having been only recently informed of the latest expansion of Cointerra's delay.

I thought we were to stay on the subject of Cointerra, and stop the whole "let's change the subject to [OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY]."

Why are alleged shortcomings of [OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] being used as a defense of Cointerra's failures?

[OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] has nothing to do with Cointerra's failure to deliver their promised December hardware in December.

[OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] has nothing to do with Cointerra's slimy practice of selling a chip that didn't exist at a huge premium for a delivery date that was impossible to meet.

[OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] has nothing to do with Cointerra's slimy practice of hiding the announcement of their delay in a bunch of technical gobbledygook where hardly anyone would see it.

[OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] has nothing to do with Cointerra's failure to ensure all Batch One customers were aware of the delay and the option to switch to "Feb" orders instead.

[OFF-TOPIC ASIC COMPANY] has nothing to do with Cointerra failing to use their official forum account to keep customers up to date, and it falling on newbs to relay crucial information from press releases and phone calls to customer service.

This doesn't make any sense.  You've surely had ample evidence even within the bitcoin mining community that hardware development is difficult to predict in duration, and hardly ever over predicted.  What part of a mid December timeframe predicted months ago did you take for absolute truth?  Delivering two weeks later than predicted - sounds awesome to me.  Anyone with a December batch unit should have known it was a gamble and for this case they lost.  No reason to be bitter over it.  Win some, lose some - and really in this case sounds like a draw.

Cointerra has been selling April batches for awhile now either sells have slowed due to uncertainty that far out or they are planning to ramp up production...
sirky

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:32:06 AM

Also, I am not unhappy, or anything like that, for those who are curious. I think they are doing a good job.

I will wait and let everyone know what Cointerra tells me.

If they do end up sending the Jan orders very quickly after the Dec orders and didn't do anything to reimburse the people with Dec orders I would be unhappy though.
Did they offer you anything in compensation?  They said they couldn't do anything now to me even though I was also offering to purchase a new (and much larger) order with them.  Maybe I didn't sound upset since I was at my workplace, haha.  But I honestly do think they should bump up the hashrate or something for December orders at the very least since it's so delayed and they were over twice the price.  Maybe I will need to make another call.

They have not replied to my email yet. I will let everyone know when they do.
testerx

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:29:14 AM

Well figured I'd post an update, after some more communication with cointerra (with many thanks to aerobatic as well for helping) they have made good on coming to a happy resolution for me.  I'm glad that they made it right, and will be paying for another order shortly.  Now to figure out how I'm going to power all these units I have headed my way.

I understand the units should be mountable as 4U rack mount units, but I guess most centers use rail systems?  How does one purchase the right rail?  May likely need to host a few at a dedicated center while we beef up our electrical and cooling infrastructure. 
JoseSan

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:07:32 PM

... they have made good on coming to a happy resolution for me.  

What does that mean? I'm also one of the rubes with a December order, and am curious what they're offering.
testerx

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:00:06 AM

... they have made good on coming to a happy resolution for me.  

What does that mean? I'm also one of the rubes with a December order, and am curious what they're offering.
Well I still don't have anything in writing so once I've confirmed it I will let you know. 
plato14

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:36:48 PM

so bumpout is today right?  What happens after this?
Alvi

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:11:23 PM

Yes today is bumpout day, I'm curious to know what's next as well.
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:35:01 PM

Yes today is bumpout day, I'm curious to know what's next as well.

I believe the next step is actually getting the chips, isn't it? 

minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:32:43 PM

Just  fyi seems like Global foundries is a little behind.

See notice from btimine about thier chip from GF. http://bitmine.ch/?p=4192
See notice from BFL( they also used GF in the past, but they havent specified who is fabbbing gen2 chips). https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/4414-monarch-information.html#post69562

Doesn't necessarily mean cointerra's chip is delayed as well but it certainly is possible.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
plato14

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:58:01 AM

Just  fyi seems like Global foundries is a little behind.

See notice from btimine about thier chip from GF. http://bitmine.ch/?p=4192
See notice from BFL( they also used GF in the past, but they havent specified who is fabbbing gen2 chips). https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/4414-monarch-information.html#post69562

Doesn't necessarily mean cointerra's chip is delayed as well but it certainly is possible.

maybe theyre behind because cointerras are expedited and theyre ahead of everyone else  Tongue
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:47:40 PM

Or more likely everyone's fab got bumped for a much much larger customer. It seems more probable this is what happened since the 2 companies i mentioned both posted notice around Dec 10.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 01:04:01 AM

Significant payments made to fab to expedite process from usual 90+ days to 65 days.

Chips expected back, early December.

Systems expected to begin shipping to customers, Mid December.

maybe time to seek refund of those payments
last update in november, no progress to update?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 01:27:31 AM

Here, in chronological order, is everything I could find Cointerra saying about their "expected" "December" batch.

As you have noticed, their AWOL official account hasn't made a peep about their failure to deliver in 2013. 

You have to dig though their press releases to find that morsel of disappointment.

"December this year"

"expected to begin shipping to customers, Mid December".

"on track for our delivery times"

"still very much on track for our presented delivery time"

"still on time table for our production"

"fabout of the first wafers is scheduled to occur on December 17th"

Are you going to ask Cointerra to refund you in USD or BTC?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 03:32:52 AM

Significant payments made to fab to expedite process from usual 90+ days to 65 days.

Chips expected back, early December.

Systems expected to begin shipping to customers, Mid December.

So it almost 10PM in Austin.

No confirmation of fabout/bumpout?

Oh wiat, let me guess...it was "expected" fabout, right?

It's very disturbing the official Cointerra account has been logging in all month, but hasn't made a post since this disinformation in November:

how's the chip and PCB coming along? Still on track? Smiley

Silicon and PCB are coming along well. It's on track. There will be more updates in the coming weeks..

So much for "on track."  So much for "more updates in the coming weeks."

Cointerra only found out on Nov 30 they had no hope of Dec shipping?  Seems legit...  Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8420

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 03:44:41 AM

Is it just me or is the only irate person in the CoinTerra thread the tireless promoter of a competitor?
Pages: « 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: