Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:36:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230783 times)
JoseSan

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:17:21 PM

antminer is at 1.9 btc for 190GH(after easy OC), that's exactly 0.01 BTC/GH.   cointerra is 2000GH for $6000 or 6.6BTC, that's ~ 0.0033BTC.  So the very first shipments from cointerra will have a 3X discount to the current market price.

Who paid 6.6 BTC for the first batch???

okie fail on my part, was the first batch not $6000 or btc/usd wasn't around $1000? i don't remember been a long time :/
Both, first batch was 14,000 each and btc was around $120ish
Luckily I didn't spent any btc on the first batch.  Still I'm an idiot for many other reasons involving having mined two hundred btc years ago and selling to pay for my GPUs when I was broke.  Damn me.

Not exactly. I think everyone who bought the first batch seems to have been offered two systems instead as a comp for not getting their systems in dec.  One in first batch and one in a later batch. Some who switched from dec to jan earlier may even have two jan systems for the same price as their initial payment.

Do you have a link for this?

See my post history. Specifically this,

Dear CoinTerra customer,

As a First Batch customer with an order for one or more TerraMiners initially scheduled for a late-December delivery we are reaching out to you since you are one of the remaining customers that we have been unsuccessful in contacting by telephone via the number associated with your cointerra.com account.

We are pleased to say that we are now very close to manufacturing our first units, but if you have been following our engineering updates on our website you may be aware that our late-December orders have slipped into the New Year.

Your order will enter manufacturing shortly, and will be one of the very first TerraMiners to leave our production facility - we currently expect your order to ship in the first two weeks of January.

As a thank you for being an early customer and supporting us as we worked to bring the TerraMiner to market, for each TerraMiner that you have ordered in the First Batch we would also like to send you an additional TerraMiner of equal hash rate from our March batch free of charge (including free shipping.)  This means that if you have a First Batch order for one TerraMiner IV 2TH Bitcoin miner you will receive your miner in January and you will also receive a TerraMiner IV 2TH Bitcoin miner in March.

We will send a confirmation of your order, updated to include the additional free of charge TerraMiner within 24 hours.  However, if you would prefer to receive a full refund of your order purchase price in USD instead of taking us up on the offer, or if you have any further questions regarding your order then please can contact us at [redacted] and we will be happy to accommodate you.

Best regards and a Happy New Year!
Everyone at the CoinTerra Team
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 04:04:54 PM

does anyone know when they reduced the price to $6k?  doesnt look like such a good deal then if the later batch also paid $12k.  I understand the dec orders got offered 2x.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
testerx

Activity: 608
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:13:51 PM

antminer is at 1.9 btc for 190GH(after easy OC), that's exactly 0.01 BTC/GH.   cointerra is 2000GH for $6000 or 6.6BTC, that's ~ 0.0033BTC.  So the very first shipments from cointerra will have a 3X discount to the current market price.

okie fail on my part, was the first batch not $6000 or btc/usd wasn't around $1000? i don't remember been a long time :/
Luckily I didn't spent any btc on the first batch.  Still I'm an idiot for many other reasons involving having mined two hundred btc years ago and selling to pay for my GPUs when I was broke.  Damn me.
Not exactly. I think everyone who bought the first batch seems to have been offered two systems instead as a comp for not getting their systems in dec.  One in first batch and one in a later batch. Some who switched from dec to jan earlier may even have two jan systems for the same price as their initial payment.

I was only providing the correct price for the December batch since he was under the impression that they were $6000 when they were $14,000 (and that was after a price drop from an initial price that was higher), but you certainly right that people with December orders were offered an extra system to be delivered in a later batch.

The people who switched from the december batch to the january batch are no longer in the first batch though by definition so it's not correct to take their second batch pricing as first batch pricing.  They also did get a refund of the difference since two second batch units are actually cheaper than one first batch unit.

Regardless I think the real point of his question was to figure out whether someone would ROI if they had paid for a first batch unit entirely in bitcoins.  Given that a first batch unit would have cost about 120 bitcoins or so it will likely be somewhat tough even with a second unit being delivered in a later batch, though it might not be impossible over a year or so. From what I can tell most people were offered March units as their second unit, I don't know if some particularly large purchasers were able to get earlier second units than that.

I don't think you should take my pricing explanation as some sort of Cointerra bash aerobatic, I'm obviously a big fan since I sent in another much larger order after they offered the March unit as compensation for the delays but in retrospect I think the first batch wasn't really well priced in comparison to the 2nd January batch.  Cointerra should probably have just given the first orders January pricing by default (or two units and a partial refund) or something when they dropped the price so much, especially since they had originally said there would be price protection in the early days but of course that only applied to price drops in the same batch-though at this point it sounds a lot like the December batch and January batch are almost the same batch in practicality.  If I could go back and switch my December unit to two January units when they dropped the price I would for obvious reasons.
testerx

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:21:23 PM

Luckily I didn't spent any btc on the first batch.  Still I'm an idiot for many other reasons involving having mined two hundred btc years ago and selling to pay for my GPUs when I was broke.  Damn me.

Not exactly. I think everyone who bought the first batch seems to have been offered two systems instead as a comp for not getting their systems in dec.  One in first batch and one in a later batch. Some who switched from dec to jan earlier may even have two jan systems for the same price as their initial payment.

Do you have a link for this?

They sent out an e-mail to first batch folks and from the other first batch people I've been in contact with it sounds like they usually offered a March unit for free to make up for the vast price difference between December and January units and not being able to ship in December.  aerobatic helped convince Cointerra to do something like this and I think it was the right thing to do even though they didn't technically have to per the contract, though the people who are likely best off are the ones who immediately switched their December orders to January orders when the price drop was announced.

miahallen

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:52:28 PM

Another update has been posted Smiley
http://cointerra.com/update-prototype-testing-completed-certification-production-week/

DATELINE: 1/20/14 Austin, TX

Our last update on January 14th included a short video of a working TerraMiner IV, and further information regarding the testing and characterization status.

Over the past week our engineering team has been busy conducting some board tweaks needed before we can push the button to commence production of our first batch of TerraMiners.

At the same time we have been preparing the hardware for mandatory FCC and CE product testing and certification, and UL safety testing and certification which we have been informed will take approximately 2-3 days to complete.

We expect to begin shipping the initial run of units at the end of this week, incrementally ramping up production for volume shipping commencing next week. In parallel the production lines at both of our Central Texas manufacturing facilities are presently assembling the chassis (including the rear fans and power supplies), front panels (with fans, grills and LEDs), and the other non-board components in preparation for the fully-populated boards to be dropped in for final assembly and a short but essential burn-in quality control testing period.

We have signed off on the first release version of the software which controls the TerraMiner, having made some final tweaks to the web-based Control Panel, and flashed to each BeagleBone Black controller board. The user guide, with step-by-step instructions for setting up, configuring and operating the TerraMiner will be posted to the CoinTerra website prior to shipping our first production units.

We expect to be able to post another status report later this week with updates on the certification processes and shipment of our very first production miners.
ASIC-K

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Hell?

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:10:14 AM

Another update has been posted Smiley
http://cointerra.com/update-prototype-testing-completed-certification-production-week/

DATELINE: 1/20/14 Austin, TX

Our last update on January 14th included a short video of a working TerraMiner IV, and further information regarding the testing and characterization status.

Over the past week our engineering team has been busy conducting some board tweaks needed before we can push the button to commence production of our first batch of TerraMiners.

At the same time we have been preparing the hardware for mandatory FCC and CE product testing and certification, and UL safety testing and certification which we have been informed will take approximately 2-3 days to complete.

We expect to begin shipping the initial run of units at the end of this week, incrementally ramping up production for volume shipping commencing next week. In parallel the production lines at both of our Central Texas manufacturing facilities are presently assembling the chassis (including the rear fans and power supplies), front panels (with fans, grills and LEDs), and the other non-board components in preparation for the fully-populated boards to be dropped in for final assembly and a short but essential burn-in quality control testing period.

We have signed off on the first release version of the software which controls the TerraMiner, having made some final tweaks to the web-based Control Panel, and flashed to each BeagleBone Black controller board. The user guide, with step-by-step instructions for setting up, configuring and operating the TerraMiner will be posted to the CoinTerra website prior to shipping our first production units.

We expect to be able to post another status report later this week with updates on the certification processes and shipment of our very first production miners.

uh, thanks?.....
toquinho

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:56:02 AM

I'm going for a site visit of CoinTerra next Friday afternoon (I am local and live less than 1 mile from their office on Jollyville). Does anyone want me to ask them anything specific? I know what I want to talk about, but I was hoping for some creative/insigntful questions I have not thought of. I will post pictures afterwards.
plato14

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:13:07 AM

I'm going for a site visit of CoinTerra next Friday afternoon (I am local and live less than 1 mile from their office on Jollyville). Does anyone want me to ask them anything specific? I know what I want to talk about, but I was hoping for some creative/insigntful questions I have not thought of. I will post pictures afterwards.

nothing comes to mind, i think everything i want to ask them will either unfold in the near future or they will somehow dodge the question.  But a highlight of your trip would be great.
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:32:14 PM

Did they ever get their chips  to run at the advertised speeds?
plato14

Activity: 127

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:51:21 PM

Did they ever get their chips  to run at the advertised speeds?

They didn't mention it on the last update, I don't think they will, no.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:13:32 PM

There was a mention of their next generation chip design a little while back, any more info would be interesting. Even something predictable, like "20nm target node geometry"

Vires in numeris
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 09:09:00 PM

I didn't read all the pages but did they manage to get the target of 2TH/s ? or they are still tweaking the prototype ? they still advertise 2 TH/s on their website so they still think they can do it I guess !
poppys

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:20:30 AM

I didn't read all the pages but did they manage to get the target of 2TH/s ? or they are still tweaking the prototype ? they still advertise 2 TH/s on their website so they still think they can do it I guess !

Nope, they're only hashing around 1.5TH. That's only 750Gh/sec per 2 chips. 250Gh/sec less per 2x goldstrike chips than what they said atm, however tweaking the software and chips are still a work in progress. Also looking at the cpu core temp 79c on the goldstrike they might not be able to hit 2TH per unit with out getting hardware errors.   It will be good to watch if they can pull it off.  

You can view a shot of it here. http://imgur.com/Dvm0jc4      

Supercomputing

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:00:34 PM

Nope, they're only hashing around 1.5TH. That's only 750Gh/sec per 2 chips. 250Gh/sec less per 2x goldstrike chips than what they said atm, however tweaking the software and chips are still a work in progress. Also looking at the cpu core temp 79c on the goldstrike they might not be able to hit 2TH per unit with out getting hardware errors.   It will be good to watch if they can pull it off.  

You can view a shot of it here. http://imgur.com/Dvm0jc4      

Cointerra has not yet released their final specifications - the information above is outdated. However, an update is expected before the end of the week.

Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
http://www.eecs.mit.edu/
testerx

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:36:29 PM

If you really go there please ask what kind of power use these ended up with.  My business partner apparently moved from an area with 0.10/kW electricity to a place where high use is 30 friggin cents a kW and originally he was supposed to host so now we're scouting for a place to build a server room with cheap power.  Need to know what kind of power connection we're gonna need sigh.
JoseSan

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:02:19 PM

I just noticed something strange to my eyes in the picture Cointerra posted a while back of Jim O’Connor and Jon Noeth doing the bringup of the chip.

http://cointerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Screen-Shot-2014-01-07-at-3.39.22-PM1.png

Specifically the dozens of capacitor-input filters you see:

https://i.imgur.com/NpYTHy9.png

Why do they seem raised up, as if they're on some kind of riser? This is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why they look funny. Regular-looking, flat, surface-mount capacitors look like what they showed on the bare board:

http://cointerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CoinTerra-GSA-Pre-Proto-A-CCA-cropped.jpg
testerx

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:20:27 PM

I just noticed something strange to my eyes in the picture Cointerra posted a while back of Jim O’Connor and Jon Noeth doing the bringup of the chip.

http://cointerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Screen-Shot-2014-01-07-at-3.39.22-PM1.png

Specifically the dozens of capacitor-input filters you see:

https://i.imgur.com/NpYTHy9.png

Why do they seem raised up, as if they're on some kind of riser? This is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why they look funny. Regular-looking, flat, surface-mount capacitors look like what they showed on the bare board:

http://cointerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/CoinTerra-GSA-Pre-Proto-A-CCA-cropped.jpg
I don't think they're on a riser, it just looks like they used larger size capacitors that have a somewhat unique tombstone-like shape, my guess is whatever capacitance they wanted wasn't available in the usual flatter kind.

I really hope Cointerra ships ASAP though, it's nearing the end of the week and I'm really hoping they start shipping this week since Hashfast is already dumping hashrate onto the network now.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:45:43 PM

I really hope Cointerra ships ASAP though, it's nearing the end of the week and I'm really hoping they start shipping this week since Hashfast is already dumping hashrate onto the network now.

They could be standard size but stacked (parallel), can't say I've ever seen a capacitor in that shape (but that's not saying much).  Likely a creative hack when you need more capacitance but already ordered half a million SMD's of a lower capacitance.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:47:50 PM

My order #605 of 20 baby jets just shipped out from Hashfast today, and there arriving tomorrow!

Also talked to someone from Hashfast yesterday and he said they expect all of Batch #1 to be shipped out by the 28th of this month.

I try to be respectful and informed.
JoseSan

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:00:18 PM

They could be standard size but stacked (parallel), can't say I've ever seen a capacitor in that shape (but that's not saying much).  Likely a creative hack when you need more capacitance but already ordered half a million SMD's of a lower capacitance.

That makes sense for both of those reasons. The way they were powering them (in the bring-up picture with those giant, fat leads) means they probably had to compensate quite a bit for the wire's relatively high inductive response. Pretty slick, actually.
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: