Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:57:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][PHS][50% PoS] PhilosopherStone | NoPremine |10 month Dist | 1.6.4.1  (Read 121919 times)
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:01:55 PM

wait pow mining will be gone? are you sure about that?
I mean it's mostly because this coin is hybrid that it is interresting (in my opinion at least)
why do we need to remove pow

Nope, not sure, just going by what I read here:

PHS update - Stake Issue

Earlier this morning UTC time we had a stake block with a invalid timestamp enter the chain, followed by a normal stake, which has caused the chain to enter PoW only for the time being.  Those of you who follow Blackcoin may remember this froze the blackcoin chain a few weeks ago: "timebomb"

Reference: http://www.blackcoin.co/wallet-2/official-statement-regarding-blockchain-problems-23rd-of-march/

Since Blackcoin was PoS only at that time this caused their chain to freeze, in the case of PHS since we have a hybrid PoW/PoS the PoW continues on. This is causing some larger variations in the block times (tx take longer than normal).

I had already looked at this flaw and was prepared to patch this in the future anyway (when the time came the community wished PHS to become PoS only, and to disable PoW), but this update does require a hard fork update, which I wanted to wait on until all clients have updated to the current client.  I will look to see the best way to handle this going forward, leaning towards a switch time in the near future to give everyone time to update.  This patch is needed regardless, but just wanted everyone to be informed. It is most likely a good time to switch your miners to PHS for a bit.

Thanks

Edit: FWIW - stake time continues to accumulate on unmoved balances.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=292720.msg6346439#msg6346439

There are not enough hours in the day to keep up on all the things I'd like to, but it seems hybrid coins are being attacked. The solution is often to end PoW mining.
mighty jol

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:05:48 PM

let's say we go full on pos and another stake problem happens then the whole blockchain would be stuck and the coin would just stop ruunning. right now pow took over pos for the time of it being disabled (and that's awesooooome because blockchain keeps running). similar problems in the future would be of a bigger scale if we were on pos only

i would like to have pallmdetroit opinion about this honestly

Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

Have you kept up on this thread? It's my understanding that PoW mining will be gone in 359 blocks and PoS will be restored.

Does any one use http://phs.minar.cc/ for mining? I am trying to add a withdraw addy but it says it needs email confirmation. Sadly no email ever comes. Has anyone been able to withdraw from this pool?

I have. Several times. Have you checked your spam folder(s)? Yahoo mail put my confirmation emails neatly in there by default.

I do have a patch waiting for PoW to be turned off (and it will require another fork), and is the goal with PHS (to conserve power). It's really just a matter of when, I always imagined it when ASICs became widespread so that day is soon. I think the longest we should wait is until next block halving, so sometime before that. We can get into this discussion more after we get everyone updated to 1.5.

there has been problems with some email domains and minar before, you could try using another email (another .com/.net )

paardenkip

Activity: 79

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:10:53 PM

Personally I like to go as fast a possible to POS only.
Minters are much more likely to hold their coins.
Gentso1

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:12:25 PM

Have you kept up on this thread? It's my understanding that PoW mining will be gone in 359 blocks and PoS will be restored.

Does any one use http://phs.minar.cc/ for mining? I am trying to add a withdraw addy but it says it needs email confirmation. Sadly no email ever comes. Has anyone been able to withdraw from this pool?

I have. Several times. Have you checked your spam folder(s)? Yahoo mail put my confirmation emails neatly in there by default.

I do have a patch waiting for PoW to be turned off (and it will require another fork), and is the goal with PHS (to conserve power). It's really just a matter of when, I always imagined it when ASICs became widespread so that day is soon. I think the longest we should wait is until next block halving, so sometime before that. We can get into this discussion more after we get everyone updated to 1.5.

there has been problems with some email domains and minar before, you could try using another email (another .com/.net )

Thanks for the info but I can't change the email in the minar account if I can't access the confirmation email they sent.

I would have to create a new email and a new account and just loose the 262 coins I have all ready mined. If the pool operator can't fix the issue then it just doesn't sound like a pool I want to be mining with. Can you recommend another pool?
Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:19:18 PM

let's say we go full on pos and another stake problem happens then the whole blockchain would be stuck and the coin would just stop ruunning. right now pow took over pos for the time of it being disabled (and that's awesooooome because blockchain keeps running). similar problems in the future would be of a bigger scale if we were on pos only

i would like to have pallmdetroit opinion about this honestly

Sure,

A freeze actually is somewhat easier to deal with, since you can just fork right then and there (ex BC), in our case I set a timeframe for the exchanges to update instead of just doing a ninja hardfork. For potential attack vectors, there is always new vectors, in all coins, this is always the case- look at heartbleed and bitcoin, for example. We just have to try to keep up with them and do the best you can.

This issue was known, I just wanted to wait on the needed hardfork with the other issues we had last week/2 weeks ago, and not add to confusion. Switching to PoS only will also require another hardfork.  Grin

short version if it happened with PoS only would of been easier fix  Wink

Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:23:36 PM

Agree 110%.  It's also less maintenance from a dev perspective, and I have the patches to optimize for PoS only. Not to mention it'll be easier minting. We will really need everyone to chime in on this, I think everyone agrees it needs to be done, the issue is.. when. ASIC may force the issue sooner.

Ill be more than happy to go with consensus if you guys want it sooner  Wink

mighty jol

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:26:15 PM

owh ok, i guess the idea of a frozen blockchain was worse than a wrongly running one in my mind. my bad.
well anyway stake are gonna be back soon. I just hope thoses forks go well and that we get back on track asap

thanks for the fast answer btw palmdetroit

for the consensus, is there a way to have a vote within the phs community (via the wallet client would be perfect)?

Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:26:51 PM

Thanks for the info regarding unaccepted blocks.

I too had problems with Minar.cc and no longer mine there.

Crytotrolls responded they looked at the problem and claim it is not caused by their code..so they are negligent and PHS is pretty much un-minable at their site

very sad to see the original PHSblocks site go down

So Palm you mentioned you set up a pool that avoids this problem?
Or you may know of a pool where it should not be an issue..

Can we PLEASE have a recommendation?

I would like to mine more PHS before it goes 100% POS.

Thanks so much for your continued efforts
It is your steadfast dedication to this coin alone that gives is it much of it's value.

FYI   1.5 is running fine on all my wallets.

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:37:13 PM

Agree 110%.  It's also less maintenance from a dev perspective, and I have the patches to optimize for PoS only. Not to mention it'll be easier minting. We will really need everyone to chime in on this, I think everyone agrees it needs to be done, the issue is.. when. ASIC may force the issue sooner.

I thought you were already killing PoW with *this* fork...I was more than fine with that. If PoW is going to be a constant source of headaches then pull the plug. Look at all the complaints about PoW just on the last couple pages. My client right now says "You are trying to mint 622 stones" ...but I can't because PoW.
mxn

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:41:06 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2014, 03:15:56 PM by mxn

as said +1 fully pos

lowering reward was part of the phs concept from beginning and we saw Mintcoin had to remove their 1% POS already.

Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:44:08 PM

Thanks for the info regarding unaccepted blocks.

I too had problems with Minar.cc and no longer mine there.

Crytotrolls responded they looked at the problem and claim it is not caused by their code..so they are negligent and PHS is pretty much un-minable at their site

very sad to see the original PHSblocks site go down

So Palm you mentioned you set up a pool that avoids this problem?
Or you may know of a pool where it should not be an issue..

Can we PLEASE have a recommendation?

I would like to mine more PHS before it goes 100% POS.

Thanks so much for your continued efforts
It is your steadfast dedication to this coin alone that gives is it much of it's value.

FYI   1.5 is running fine on all my wallets.

Thanks, I will try to figure out your stake issue soon. I have no idea about crytotrolls, I worked with trip on setting up phsblocks and we did get rejected blocks the first day or two then it was fine until recent closure (no more issues). Only public pools are the ones listed, maybe someone with a private one can pm you, I would love to be a pool-op but no time.

Lots of users these days seem to just set up their own MPOS for their own use or small groups, ie private pools.

Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:49:51 PM

I thought you were already killing PoW with *this* fork...I was more than fine with that. If PoW is going to be a constant source of headaches then pull the plug.

It would make things easier. I've had this discussion with multiple devs (other PoS coins) starting in December,  agreed options were to change algos or go PoS only, this is especially the case with PHS since the PoW reward continues to half. Not to mention that PoW is only meant for initial 'fair' distribution , which is no longer the case.

Jabulon

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 03:00:19 PM

I thought you were already killing PoW with *this* fork...I was more than fine with that. If PoW is going to be a constant source of headaches then pull the plug.

It would make things easier. I've had this discussion with multiple devs (other PoS coins) starting in December,  agreed options were to change algos or go PoS only, this is especially the case with PHS since the PoW reward continues to half. Not to mention that PoW is only meant for initial 'fair' distribution , which is no longer the case.

Chiming-in: Pure PoS as soon as feasible, at all events upon next halving. rat4's astute revelation about hybrids over time is part of it. Consensus as expressed by the market is another. Simplicity and energy efficiency another. As you say, it was always the plan anyway. Let's stay ahead of the evolutionary curve.

Visit NightBark Music, home of the BlackCoin Music Video! https://www.youtube.com/user/nightbarkmusic
ando0022

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:05:54 PM

Shorts questions

Number 1: I have wallet Version 1.5, is POS enabled now or have i wait for a fork or something else ?

Number 2: i have some PHS @Cryptsy, can i sent them to my wallet or is there any error ?

Palmdetroit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:10:53 PM

Chiming-in: Pure PoS as soon as feasible, at all events upon next halving. rat4's astute revelation about hybrids over time is part of it. Consensus as expressed by the market is another. Simplicity and energy efficiency another. As you say, it was always the plan anyway. Let's stay ahead of the evolutionary curve.

yep win-win-win.

Thanks, rat and team are very capable devs, I knew of some of the potential problems with PoS only,  its good to have had more come to light, more work too ;

forcefedvr6

Activity: 101

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:13:42 PM

...I worked with trip on setting up phsblocks...

Hey,  if you are in contact with the phsblocks sysop,  can you ask him to activate the auto-payout or manual payout so I can obtain my final balance from phsblocks?  It's been sitting there since the pool closed and neither auto nor manual payouts are happening,  and I am not getting any responses to my emails about the issue.   

DKdance

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

REAP WHAT YOU SOW I'm a big fish

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:47:03 PM

Number 2: i have some PHS @Cryptsy, can i sent them to my wallet or is there any error ?

You can.

Only reason we die is because we accept the death I can tr. into French, seriously < 1-12 hours
[PHS] PhilosopherStone | PoS | No Premine | 50% annual
And if we should die tonight then we should all die together.
Muzzargh

Activity: 133

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:34:29 PM

Happy to go now  Grin
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 11:06:55 PM

Just wanted to clarify: What is the Min/Max coin age for staking ?  The OP states 5-15 days 'typically' , does that mean random ?

I do understand the staking probability vs coin weight variable, but it there a fixed minimum age ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: