Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:01:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586155 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:26:36 PM

is there a plan to develop an iphone version?
thx Smiley

Nope. Not in our plans yet. Two operating systems and development environments are quite different, so doing a port would take up a considerable amount of work and time, which we can't spare right now. We wouldn't mind some developer picking up the project and doing it themselves, since Mycelium code is available on github, but so far no one offered.

I'm not sure if Mycelium is using BCCAPI like Bitcoin Spinner was but if it is, I'd like to renew my call for it to use a portable data format (like JSON or XML) rather than the serialized Java objects that it did when I last looked into it. That would open the API to much wider adoption (if that would be a desirable outcome to you guys). Throwing an iphone wallet on top of that would be easier than from-scratch.

Not that I'm going to write it. I'm Android all the way Smiley

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:20:14 PM

is there a plan to develop an iphone version?
thx Smiley

Nope. Not in our plans yet. Two operating systems and development environments are quite different, so doing a port would take up a considerable amount of work and time, which we can't spare right now. We wouldn't mind some developer picking up the project and doing it themselves, since Mycelium code is available on github, but so far no one offered.

I'm not sure if Mycelium is using BCCAPI like Bitcoin Spinner was but if it is, I'd like to renew my call for it to use a portable data format (like JSON or XML) rather than the serialized Java objects that it did when I last looked into it. That would open the API to much wider adoption (if that would be a desirable outcome to you guys). Throwing an iphone wallet on top of that would be easier than from-scratch.

Not that I'm going to write it. I'm Android all the way Smiley

you are correct, in fact, that's what we are coding right now for the HD wallet api.
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:19:47 PM

you are correct, in fact, that's what we are coding right now for the HD wallet api.

You guys are the best! Will there be a specification?
validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 05:16:49 PM

Been waiting for the new version of this wonderful wallet, is there any E.T.A Smiley

birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:37:30 AM

Importing private keys in text form, what vulnerability exactly does use of the clipboard introduce?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 08:31:15 AM

How is the change managed in this wallet?

trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:45:44 AM

Been waiting for the new version of this wonderful wallet, is there any E.T.A Smiley

Soon Smiley
New version is just being made available to beta testers, in case everything is fine it will get out after we received enough positive feedback Smiley
trasla

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 09:50:15 AM

Importing private keys in text form, what vulnerability exactly does use of the clipboard introduce?

This is insecure as hell. Every App can always access and alter the clipboard content.

In segregated mode, change is sent back to address where the inputs came from. In aggregated mode, change is sent to the address which provided the biggest total sum of inputs to the transaction. In upcoming HD accounts, a new address will be derived from the master seed on the 'internal addresses branch' for each change.
birr

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:57:43 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 03:25:53 PM by birr

I have to generate the private key of a brain wallet and import it into mycelium on the same device, which means I don't have a way to scan the qr code.  You're telling me not to use the clipboard,
This is insecure as hell. Every App can always access and alter the clipboard content.
and mycelium offers no way to type in a private key.

I'm on the road, so I can't fire up a PC and generate a qr code of one of my brainwallets.  I have an android tablet and a flip phone.

Scenario:
I have the bitaddress.org code saved; after turning off data and wifi I locate the file using ES File Explorer and open it in Chrome.  The bitaddress.org code generates a key.   Now I need to import the key to mycelium.

I have considered taking a photo of the qr code with my flip phone, then scanning the flip phone's screen (tested this and it actually works).  

Looking for further ideas, like some way to get the private key into mycelium without copying it to clipboard.  Out-of-the-box ideas that I haven't thought of.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:34:18 PM

In segregated mode, change is sent back to address where the inputs came from. In aggregated mode, change is sent to the address which provided the biggest total sum of inputs to the transaction. In upcoming HD accounts, a new address will be derived from the master seed on the 'internal addresses branch' for each change.

So you can actually send the change to the same address where it came from? I had no idea about this and now it seems strange that the bitcoin-qt client was using a separate address for change which caused a bit of problems. Tell me more about the aggregated mode. I see that I can have multiple keys/addresses, but from the looks of it I can only send money from a single address, not multiple so the change address is always the same. Am I wrong? Can you send money from multiple addresses in one transaction?

validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

Soon Smiley
New version is just being made available to beta testers, in case everything is fine it will get out after we received enough positive feedback Smiley
How does one get to be a beta tester? i can volunteer if you want. Just to show my love for this app.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2130

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 01:07:39 AM

I have to generate the private key of a brain wallet and import it into mycelium on the same device, which means I don't have a way to scan the qr code.  You're telling me not to use the clipboard,
and mycelium offers no way to type in a private key.

I'm on the road, so I can't fire up a PC and generate a qr code of one of my brainwallets.  I have an android tablet and a flip phone.

Scenario:
I have the bitaddress.org code saved; after turning off data and wifi I locate the file using ES File Explorer and open it in Chrome.  The bitaddress.org code generates a key.   Now I need to import the key to mycelium.

I have considered taking a photo of the qr code with my flip phone, then scanning the flip phone's screen (tested this and it actually works).  

Looking for further ideas, like some way to get the private key into mycelium without copying it to clipboard.  Out-of-the-box ideas that I haven't thought of.

As a text file on the sd card or on and external usb drive using USB OTG?

I noticed my phone has a setting to have apps request permission to access the sd so that would be an interim level of security though really any file containing a key should be encrypted.

Opperdienaar

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 04:36:51 PM

Import of private key from clipboard is disabled. You can only import through a QR code, but as far as I know, there is no safe way to generate a QR private key without using some web interface.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 04:53:05 PM

Import of private key from clipboard is disabled. You can only import through a QR code, but as far as I know, there is no safe way to generate a QR private key without using some web interface.

It's not disabled (v1.2.12), but as long as there is no private key in the clipboard, the button will be greyed out.

There are offline QR generators, such as QtQR, I'm sure there are some for Windows too.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
birr

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 09:25:34 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2014, 10:12:05 PM by birr

In general, it would be worthwhile to have the ability to work in text.

As a special illustrating case, and if you read my post attentively, the device generating the key to the brainwallet may be the same device running mycelium.  In this case it's impossible to use a qr code.
Or there might be people who still use mobile devices without a camera.

One can generate a private key on his tablet and copy it to clipboard, but this entails prohibitive risk, so for all practical purposes mycelium now can only import a key in the form of a qr code (from a second device or from a paper wallet).

The devs are busy working on the upcoming HD implementation, and I wouldn't want to distract them from that.  But just to move the conversation along, here's a possible scheme:   generate the private key, encrypt it with gpg, import it to mycelium through the clipboard, and decrypt it in mycelium.  I'm not suggesting the devs should devote resources to implementing symmetrical encryption for text private keys, I just want to bring attention to the issue of importing text.

Maybe there's a simple and secure way of importing text which wouldn't be too hard to implement.  Surely there's no harm in considering it.
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:09:09 AM

In general, it would be worthwhile to have the ability to work in text.

[...]

There's manual entry for the address when sending already, so maybe that could be added to private key import. Then you just have to flick between the app windows. Talk about _work_ Smiley

This app can "scan" QR codes from image files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_progetto2003.SCAN&hl=en

You then still have to "share" the result with Mycelium, which was talked about before (for addresses anyway), but there are some URI issues, IIRC. It'll be even worse with private keys as I think there is no URI for them at all.

Could Mycelium be set to MIME type text/plain (AndroidManifest.xml) ? Of course it would then show up in the chooser every time you want to "share" plain text within apps.

I'm also not sure if the "share" function makes use of the clipboard.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:11:44 AM

How does one get to be a beta tester? i can volunteer if you want. Just to show my love for this app.

https://github.com/mycelium-com/wallet/blob/ac7a6be60a735fae9dd4bb7a7b1284ceed875ba4/README.md

Beta channel

In order to receive updates quicker than others, you need to do two things:

to be eligible for testing you need to join the g+ group at

https://plus.google.com/communities/102264813364583686576

after joining, you need to explicitly enable beta versions for the software at

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.mycelium.wallet

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:18:56 AM

So you can actually send the change to the same address where it came from? I had no idea about this and now it seems strange that the bitcoin-qt client was using a separate address for change which caused a bit of problems. Tell me more about the aggregated mode. I see that I can have multiple keys/addresses, but from the looks of it I can only send money from a single address, not multiple so the change address is always the same. Am I wrong? Can you send money from multiple addresses in one transaction?

An example:

Add1     1BTC

Add2     2BTC

Add3     4BTC

In aggregated mode you can send 6.5 BTC and the change will go back to Add3. It doesn't matter which one you select. The selected key is there for receiving purposes only in aggregated mode. If you select a key in the Keys tab there is a short pop-up message explaining this when you select a key.

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:23:03 AM

Minor bug report:

In "Settings" the explanations are cut off after 4 lines of text. (look at "Expert mode" and "Aggregated View" for example)

trasla

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:51:04 AM

Yes, change can get back to the address it came from. It is considered good practice to use new addresses for everything, and in fact we will do that once HD gets released.
At the moment, when expert mode is activated, you can switch between segregated and aggregated view, when aggregated view is active your balance will be the total of all your addresses balances and when sending coins those addresses will all be used as necessary, so yes, a transaction can contain inputs and outputs from different addresses.

Minor bug report:
In "Settings" the explanations are cut off after 4 lines of text. (look at "Expert mode" and "Aggregated View" for example)

Thanks, I put an entry into our bug tracker, will have to check how long which translations are Smiley

I'm also not sure if the "share" function makes use of the clipboard.

It does not Smiley

The devs are busy working on the upcoming HD implementation, and I wouldn't want to distract them from that.

Nice thought Smiley But while everything compiles, I can read through bitcointalk without cutting back on HD dev time Smiley

...here's a possible scheme:   generate the private key, encrypt it with gpg, import it to mycelium through the clipboard, and decrypt it in mycelium.

Would it help if we would accept BIP38 encrypted private keys from the clipboard?
I somehow feel like a "enter priv key" button is something which would never get used...

Great to hear, just follow the steps as already posted by Newar (thanks for that).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: