Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:50:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586131 times)
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 12:27:06 PM

We had a problem with our dns, and the provider temporarily terminated all mycelium.com hostnames. Mycelium users had no connectivity. We published an update v1.2.20 for non-beta users and v1.3.0 for beta users that added dns-less hosts as fallback, which should restore normal connectivity.

This change was also pushed to github.

The normal domain-based access should also resume in a few hours once we resolve the problem with the provider.
Thanks for the info, I was already wondering what the heck was up with Mycelium not working.

Just to be sure, would you by any chance have any proof you are an actual Mycelium representative, and not someone who hacked his account through some DNS spoof or whatever?

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 12:36:06 PM

We had a problem with our dns, and the provider temporarily terminated all mycelium.com hostnames. Mycelium users had no connectivity. We published an update v1.2.20 for non-beta users and v1.3.0 for beta users that added dns-less hosts as fallback, which should restore normal connectivity.

The normal domain-based access should also resume in a few hours once we resolve the problem with the provider.
Thanks for the info, I was already wondering what the heck was up with Mycelium not working.

Just to be sure, would you by any chance have any proof you are an actual Mycelium representative, and not someone who hacked his account through some DNS spoof or whatever?
I can confirm that Andreas is a Mycelium representative. (now it would take two hacked accounts)

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 01:57:54 PM

I can confirm that Andreas is a Mycelium representative. (now it would take two hacked accounts)

I triple confirm (unless my account was hacked too).
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:42:16 PM

I can confirm Rassah, Jan and apetersson are working for mycelium and control their forum accounts.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:25:26 PM

Why don't you folks sign critical information with PGP? Should be rather simple, and if done right, it's quite secure.

Onkel Paul

pm7

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:06:23 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 09:41:24 PM by pm7

Local Trader still doesn't work.

Edit: Both domain and Local Trader works for me now.
CodeEmck

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:37:52 PM

Even though Indiegogo contributions are over, we'll leave the BitPay links up for anyone who still wants to order one, and, of course, for anyone who still wants a t-shirt.

I missed the fundraiser but would like to buy an Entropy. I can not find those links anywhere Sad
cetus

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:26:28 PM

I missed the fundraiser but would like to buy an Entropy. I can not find those links anywhere Sad

Why, they are still there on the Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mycelium-entropy.
KLmoney

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:44:06 AM

This wallet app is just great. I fully expect to use it as my regular mobile wallet app. I started out using the Blockchain.info Android app but quickly realised that it was just a “window” into Blockchain’s web wallet with merely a sub-set of the features available via the web interface.

Regarding Mycelium, there are just two points I would like to make:

Firstly, a very minor observation regarding Restore of backups. While it is probably obvious to most users, some may actually be  expecting a specific “Restore” function instead of using the import private key feature in Expert mode. Note also that the text on the “Add Address or Private Key” screen does not mention anything about importing Mycelium encrypted private keys (unlike the text on the “Verify Private Key Backup” screen).

Secondly, if Mycelium feels that there is little use/demand for a Send to Multiple addresses feature, then please consider including the option to select the change address in Cold Storage spending. I realise Mycelium have great faith in the security of their cold storage spending feature and I am sure for good reason. However the idea of sending all change back to an offline generated paper wallet (using my soon to arrive Mycelium Entropy device) that has never touched an online device is very comforting.

I want to thank the Mycelium team for the support they have provided through this thread. This was a major factor in my initial decision to try out the app.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:51:40 AM

Secondly, if Mycelium feels that there is little use/demand for a Send to Multiple addresses feature, then please consider including the option to select the change address in Cold Storage spending. I realise Mycelium have great faith in the security of their cold storage spending feature and I am sure for good reason. However the idea of sending all change back to an offline generated paper wallet (using my soon to arrive Mycelium Entropy device) that has never touched an online device is very comforting.

It is very comforting, or it isn't very comforting? Not sure what you meant here.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 05:14:15 AM

Firstly, a very minor observation regarding Restore of backups. While it is probably obvious to most users, some may actually be  expecting a specific “Restore” function instead of using the import private key feature in Expert mode. Note also that the text on the “Add Address or Private Key” screen does not mention anything about importing Mycelium encrypted private keys (unlike the text on the “Verify Private Key Backup” screen).

Good idea. We have had the question of "how do I restore my backup" a few times. We are finishing up the HD functionality, where all addresses will be restored from a single seed, so this would be good to add as a separate specific option.

I'll let Jan comment on this one. The idea of sending change to a new Entropy wallet is an interesting one, but I don't know if that would make the cold wallet feature too complex.
KLmoney

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:50:34 AM

It is very comforting, or it isn't very comforting? Not sure what you meant here.

What I meant to say is this: Currently Cold Storage spending sends all change back to the same paper wallet. The private key of this paper wallet has now been touched by an online device (though Mycelium have explained that their process keeps things quite safe).

My request, and I remember a similar request elsewhere in this thread, is that we be allowed to send change to a different paper wallet-- a brand new paper wallet-- whose private key has never been exposed to an online device. If this were possible, I would feel very comfortable.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:52:48 AM

What I meant to say is this: Currently Cold Storage spending sends all change back to the same paper wallet. The private key of this paper wallet has now been touched by an online device (though Mycelium have explained that their process keeps things quite safe).

My request, and I remember a similar request elsewhere in this thread, is that we be allowed to send change to a different paper wallet-- a brand new paper wallet-- whose private key has never been exposed to an online device. If this were possible, I would feel very comfortable.

That makes sense. How would it send the change to a brand new paper wallet automatically, though? It seems like you'd need to print a new paper wallet with your Entropy device ahead a time, and then it would have to prompt you for the that paper wallet's public key at the time of your transaction.
KLmoney

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:54:30 AM

That makes sense. How would it send the change to a brand new paper wallet automatically, though? It seems like you'd need to print a new paper wallet with your Entropy device ahead a time, and then it would have to prompt you for the that paper wallet's public key at the time of your transaction.

An option allowing you to select the Change address would allow you to enter the address of an Entropy generated paper wallet whose private key has never been on an online device.

I guess it is a trade-off between keeping the app simple and eliminating an additional transaction where you sweep all your coin into a new paper wallet. This of course is an issue only for those among us who are uncomfortable reusing the same paper wallet after a Cold Storage spend.

Thank you Rassah for your reply earlier.
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:37:23 PM

Thanks for your kind words and the suggestions!
I get your point with the backup. In the upcoming HD wallet, when you create the first account, you get asked whether you want a brand new master seed, or restore from a backup (either mycelium, or a wordlist, for example from a Trezor). I guess it's more clear that way.
anarchoatheist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:08:35 PM

When can we expect to get the HD mycelium? I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet. I really like the mycelium UI and would like to switch back.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 12:09:02 AM

When can we expect to get the HD mycelium? I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet. I really like the mycelium UI and would like to switch back.

Very soon. It's basically functional in testnet at this point, but still has some bugs to iron out, and to be implemented in LocalTrader correctly. It will probably be out by the time Mycelium Entropy devices ship.
msx

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:17:54 PM

I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet.

I recently discovered the benefits of barbed wire.  Because of that I had to move to another house, which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence.

I mean, did you think about what these benefits would actually give you and whether they would apply in your case?  Sure, using an HD wallet means one doesn't have to think and worry about possible loss of privacy due to address reuse, or face the inconvenience of maintaining tons of non-HD keys.   And all the hard work that wallet developers put into delivering BIP32 to their users is truly commendable.  But all too often people read flashy headlines like "address reuse considered harmful" or "USB is fundamentally broken" and rush into action.
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 08:41:08 PM

I just recently discovered the benefits of using an HD wallet. Because of this I had to switch from using mycelium to another mobile wallet.

I recently discovered the benefits of barbed wire.  Because of that I had to move to another house, which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence.

I mean, did you think about what these benefits would actually give you and whether they would apply in your case?  Sure, using an HD wallet means one doesn't have to think and worry about possible loss of privacy due to address reuse, or face the inconvenience of maintaining tons of non-HD keys.   And all the hard work that wallet developers put into delivering BIP32 to their users is truly commendable.  But all too often people read flashy headlines like "address reuse considered harmful" or "USB is fundamentally broken" and rush into action.

This!
anarchoatheist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:00:49 PM

Not at all. I just started using an HD wallet willy nilly without thinking about it at all. I often do this kind of thing when dealing with important things such as finances or important life decisions.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: