Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:25:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586109 times)
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:09:33 PM

Also, words in settings are the same for two different hd wallets - bug?

You mean you get the same wordlist for two HD _accounts_? That's not a bug, it's a central feature, all your HD accounts are derived from the same master seed, so you just need to backup once and will be able to get to all addresses in all accounts you ever create with that backup.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 01:33:37 PM

Been testing and it looks great.

One suggestion, not sure whether I might have missed something or maybe I'm still to new at this.

When clicking on 'Receive' one have the option to enter an amount with the 'Optional Amount'. When I select this I see that the amount is entered in bitcoin. Would it be possible to maybe be able to change this to enter an amount in say fiat i.e. USD?

I think this might make it easier as often a transaction is based on a fiat value which one then first have to convert to bitcoin before one can enter it here. Would be much faster if I could just enter say USD 200 and have the QR generated with the relevant bitcoin value.

Hope above makes sense. Other than that looks great.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 01:58:18 PM

Been testing and it looks great.

One suggestion, not sure whether I might have missed something or maybe I'm still to new at this.

When clicking on 'Receive' one have the option to enter an amount with the 'Optional Amount'. When I select this I see that the amount is entered in bitcoin. Would it be possible to maybe be able to change this to enter an amount in say fiat i.e. USD?

I think this might make it easier as often a transaction is based on a fiat value which one then first have to convert to bitcoin before one can enter it here. Would be much faster if I could just enter say USD 200 and have the QR generated with the relevant bitcoin value.

Hope above makes sense. Other than that looks great.

Thanks.
You can do this already, but maybe it is not that obvious. "BTC" is an icon, and if you click it the valuue turns into your selected fiat currency.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2014, 02:08:29 PM

Thanks.
You can do this already, but maybe it is not that obvious. "BTC" is an icon, and if you click it the valuue turns into your selected fiat currency.

Thanks for that. I'm sure I did try to click on it as that was what I thought but it did not change, must have clicked just outside it then. Great to see, thanks
pm7

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 07:20:07 AM

Also, words in settings are the same for two different hd wallets - bug?

You mean you get the same wordlist for two HD _accounts_? That's not a bug, it's a central feature, all your HD accounts are derived from the same master seed, so you just need to backup once and will be able to get to all addresses in all accounts you ever create with that backup.
Interesting feature, but it means that if I lost my backup (and password), I can lost Bitcoins from new HD accounts. Is there any warning about this?
Also, does Electrum support this? Or will it be able to see only addresses from first HD account?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 05:21:46 PM

great to see HD is close Wink

Peter R. is looking for wallet integration for his pretty cool "sigsafe" device: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=610453.msg8716050#msg8716050

Here's a video where he explains a use-case for the device: https://vimeo.com/105458967

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
anarchoatheist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 06:28:36 AM

I am desperate to get my hands on the HD mycelium wallet. It will help a lot with my local bitcoin trading. When they release for beta testing, is it considered safe to use?
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:41:35 AM

I am desperate to get my hands on the HD mycelium wallet. It will help a lot with my local bitcoin trading. When they release for beta testing, is it considered safe to use?

our general policy for pushing experimental stuff to the public:

1) release to testnet - might completely break the stored data (such as this current HD release, we might decide to change the internal format)

2) release to beta testers -  you might expect some random app crashes. but we will make sure that there will be no re-install necessary.

3) if we have no known common crashes, and beta testers have been running the build for a while, release to public. trivial bugfixes can go out directly.

so, once we release it to beta testers you should be able to enjoy HD with trading, if you can tolerate some random crashes Smiley
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 03:49:21 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2014, 06:42:10 AM by RustyNomad

Been playing around with the testnet HD version and have a couple of questions.

a) Backup

Something I noticed in regards to the backups. I never made a backup when I initially started running the app. I created two new HD wallets so I had the original single key which the app created when installing it and the two HD wallets. When I made a backup I see that the single key is included in the backup. In the app however it still showed the 'No backup' message under the single key even though I've made and verified the backup.

I tried to make a backup just of that single key but see the backup came out the same i.e. for the HD wallets plus the single key. Again verified it but the message of no backup was still there as well as the backup button on the Balance screen. These disappeared after I deleted the single key.

I also have a question in regards to the backups and specifically in the following scenario: I create wallet A and make backup A. A week later I create wallet B. I understand that backup A will be sufficient to recreate wallets A & B so no new backup is required. If I however do make another backup (B):

1) is the first backup (A) still valid and can it still be used?
2) should it be destroyed and replaced by backup B?

b) Access / Security

If I lose my phone is there anything that prevents somebody from sending my coins of into never never land? I've seen Mycelium ask me for a pin (cannot remember for what kind of operations it was required) but there is no request for the pin when opening the app and or when sending funds to another account. So from that I assume that anybody who has access to the phone will be able to move funds or did I miss something?

c) Electrum Paper Wallet

Is it possible to import a Electrum paper/watch only wallet into Mycelium? I though of just adding one of the addresses from the Electrum wallet to the address book (once we have the live version) of Mycelium and just send funds there but that would mean that the one Electrum address would be used over and over. The ideal would be for the Electrum wallet to be imported (without any private keys) so that each new transfer would go to a newly generated address.

If the importing of a Electrum paper wallet is not possible, is it possible to create a HD wallet in Mycelium and after a backup to delete all private keys associated with just that one wallet so in effect making it a paper wallet?

d) Sending to Multiple recipients

I see that one can only send to a single person at a time which is not a big problem as I guess 96% of my transaction is to a single address only but is this possibly something that may be added in future?

Love the new HD wallets and cannot wait to get the 'live' version of this app.
trasla

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 07:44:10 AM

a) Backup:
The backup missing warning under the Single Key Account (and the warning on the main screen) should go away once you verified the backup for all accounts. All the HD accounts are backed up by the master seed, but the backup for the single address account has to be verified by scanning its private key from the backup when verifying. Did you just scan the master seed to verify, or also the private key? If you scanned the private key, did it say 'backup verified' afterwards, but still show the warning?

As for your question with backup A and B:
Both backups will be valid and work to restore all your HD accounts (each one along with its own unique password). You can destroy one of them or store them both (in different locations, if you fear a fire for example) just as you like.

b)Access
In case you have a PIN set (via the settings menu), you have to enter it in order to send funds. Did you maybe clear your PIN? (Or just tried to start sending - you can put in all the information, you just get ask to enter your PIN when you finally hit 'send'). In case you have no PIN set, you might just feel like the 'beer money' on that phone is not that big a problem if lost, or that your lockscreen will prevent access.

c) (Electrum) HD Paper Wallet
That does not work yet, but it's somewhere on our list (together with a lot of other things Smiley )

d) Multiple Recipients
We did not discuss this yet, but are aware of the demand for that feature Smiley
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2014, 08:27:05 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2014, 08:54:16 AM by RustyNomad

...but the backup for the single address account has to be verified by scanning its private key from the backup when verifying. Did you just scan the master seed to verify, or also the private key?...

Yes I only scanned the master seed. Did not realise I had to verify the backup for the single key also. Tested again and it is working fine.

In case you have a PIN set (via the settings menu), you have to enter it in order to send funds. Did you maybe clear your PIN? (Or just tried to start sending - you can put in all the information, you just get ask to enter your PIN when you finally hit 'send'). In case you have no PIN set, you might just feel like the 'beer money' on that phone is not that big a problem if lost, or that your lockscreen will prevent access.

My mistake sorry. I had a pin on the 'normal' Mycelium wallet and not on the testnet HD version. That's why it did not ask for a pin in the test version but it did in the 'normal' version. Guess I just forgot where the pin was asked. Added a pin to the testnet version and now working fine, thanks.

c) (Electrum) HD Paper Wallet
That does not work yet, but it's somewhere on our list (together with a lot of other things Smiley )

Okay, not a problem. Can a person however create a new HD wallet and delete the private keys after a backup and by doing so essentially create a paper wallet?

EDIT: Not to worry about last point above. Think it will just confuse things should such an option be available. I'll just keep my paper wallets on Electrum and just scan the keys to make transfers from Mycelium, easy enough to do that and maybe also safer to just keep the paper wallet completely offline so to speak.
trasla

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 09:17:11 AM

Okay, not a problem. Can a person however create a new HD wallet and delete the private keys after a backup and by doing so essentially create a paper wallet?

No, there is currently no way to delete the private keys of an HD account to turn it into watch-only.
Thanks for your feedback and kind words! Smiley
KLmoney

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:02:40 AM

I have not used a HD wallet before. This looks really interesting and should be great once finished.

In the Accounts Tab, the top bar can disappear altogether. That is, the top bar is blank when an Account/Address is highlighted (blue) and even when nothing is highlighted. Meaning, both versions of the top bar ((tick, edit, archive, menu) & (logo, +, lock, menu)) are not visible. The condition was temporary and I am not sure what I did before the top bar returned to normal. I could not reproduce the condition. Note that swiping to other tabs and going back to Accounts did not resolve the issue.
KLmoney

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 03:54:17 PM

I have managed to repeat the condition I described above. Firstly, when no Account is highlighted, the top bar is NOT entirely blank, I was mistaken previously; it has only the logo and menu icon. Secondly, the condition seems to occur when switching to the Accounts page immediately after a transaction. Thirdly, the condition goes away if I change the view to landscape from portrait. I have screenshots if you need them.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:57:04 PM

I have managed to repeat the condition I described above. Firstly, when no Account is highlighted, the top bar is NOT entirely blank, I was mistaken previously; it has only the logo and menu icon. Secondly, the condition seems to occur when switching to the Accounts page immediately after a transaction. Thirdly, the condition goes away if I change the view to landscape from portrait. I have screenshots if you need them.

Screenshots would be interesting. Please share here or send them to developers@mycelium.com. Also, what device are you using?

wksantiago

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2014, 12:13:43 PM

I want to know if it would be a good idea to create an account per year and have all salary bitcoin deposits go to this account and archive at the end of the year and create a new one for the next year? The idea behind HD that will create a receiving address for every deposit throughout the year for every month.
Thanks,

If my posts has been helpful, thank me here:
BTC: bc1qp0xtvck64qhvg6man0fjgy2jl3l6vwkctngjc4
Bitrated user: wksantiago.
(PGP Fingerprint: 2199 0685 3d0f 29eb f0aa 40a5 1cd9 d426 66ae a802)
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2014, 02:15:18 PM

I want to know if it would be a good idea to create an account per year and have all salary bitcoin deposits go to this account and archive at the end of the year and create a new one for the next year? The idea behind HD that will create a receiving address for every deposit throughout the year for every month.
Thanks,

If it was me I would rather look at cold storage i.e. a paper wallet or offline wallet with either Armory or Electrum if you plan on storing the fund in there for such an extended period. Do not think it is a good thing to leave all those funds in an online wallet. I believe that the security of MyCelium should be fine but I would sleep better knowing that those funds are in cold storage.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 09:34:55 AM

Mycelium 2.0 for testnet ALPHA 6 released to the play store, and should be available in an hour or two.

A lot has changed since the Alpha 4 release. Some of it:
 - We are now based on BIP39 word lists for backup / restore. You only need one backup forever, and no more encrypted PDF backups
 - When you install Mycelium for the first time you are asked whether you want to create a new wallet or restore a backup (Restore is Trezor + wallet32 compatible (BIP39 + BIP44)). Your first account will be an HD account
 - When you do an upgrade from version 1.x a new master seed and the first HD account is automatically created
 - We nodge users to make a backup by showing a "Secure My Funds" button if no backup has been made yet + if one of the HD accounts have funds.
 - We nodge users to move funds away from 'legacy' accounts by showing a "Secure My Funds" button if a legacy account has funds.

Note: when upgrading from Alpha 3 to Alpha 6 the account names will disappear. Once we hit production the 1.x names will be properly be migrated from your classic keys/addresses to accounts.

If you are a translator you'll get a notification later today for all the new HD strings. Let's get this baby out.

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2014, 09:38:57 AM

Amazing update! Thanks so much for your hard work! By the way, are there any plans on supporting the HW.1? I recently bought one and they work great IMO.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2014, 10:07:44 AM

Amazing update! Thanks so much for your hard work! By the way, are there any plans on supporting the HW.1? I recently bought one and they work great IMO.
We don't currently have it on our roadmap.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: