Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:03:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 253 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now!  (Read 529010 times)
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:41:55 AM

It looks like anderl's post struck a nerve. Once again Alpha sends out another non employee to express their "personal opinions", rather than Alpha posting themselves .

Alpha Technology is a “family-involved business” including accountants and software experts as well as Akram, an electronic engineer.

Same dude: https://www.facebook.com/mohammed.j.akram.3

So much back pedalling being done there.  And it is very coincidental that he resurfaces months after that post to quickly try to distance himself from Alpha technology.  And who can blame him.  His posting on that blog was in the role of a tax "geek" as the book keeper for Alpha Technology.  So his certifications may now on the line.

So it goes from a family involved businesses to a one man show who's father and brother just happened to loan the company several thousand dollars.  yet the company only has a few dozen pounds as per the public record.  I am a little concerned that the company is raking on those debt obligations as shareholders will take precedence to customers in a liquidation of the company if it ever goes into bankruptcy.  So there better be evidence of actual financial transfers being made from the father and brothers accounts to Alpha Technology to support those claims and not that it is a bookkeeping line item that appeared as soon as insiders find that they are at risk of the company capsizing.

I've traded penny stocks in the past and I've seen corporate executives state taking on large deferred salaries, stock as compensation or load tons of money and huge interest rates to a public shell company only for public pump and dumps so they can wipe out the company and get paid before public shareholders.  I want to point out that Alpha Technology is NOT a public company and that there CANT be a pump and dump going on here.  I only state that a lot of financial activity goes on when companies are at high risk going forward.

I like this little exceprt form his post.

...and as a professional I cannot and will not advice on any area that I am not qualified to do so in. However, I would like to make the following point; the issue of whether or not people are businesses is a much wider concept than that of trading.

I like how he states that as a professional he will not give advise. he is not qualified to do.... However.  

Why do people do that.  I mean its like saying.  I'm an honest and open person and I would never lie to you... however.  you try to step back from a a place that is in some legal limbo that you want to distance yourself from but you just can't leave it alone.  You have to jump back in and put yourself back in that risky place you were trying to walk away from.

And the whole people are businesses is wider than the concept of trading.  Hey Mister tax geek.  Who said it was only in the context of trading.  HMRC did not single out trading.  They covered the whole gambit of all "Cryptocurrency activities", that includes trading, mining, storing, probably even hacking.  You do NOT have to be a business to be a trader.  In the United States you can be an individual and be qualified as a day trader by having an account with a minimum of $25,000.

This is another fun snippet.  Again with the not an expert but I'm going to give you my opinion anyway.  LOL

I am no expert in this area, however, if this situation was as simple and straightforward as some of these self-proclaimed “experts” are suggesting in certain forums, which I have just had a skim read through, and for arguments sake Alpha Technology’s solicitors who are actually experts in this area were wrong or Alpha Technology misunderstood the advice

So lets stop right there.  I never said I was an expert.  I only said that it was the first time that I saw AT identify that it was the HMRC guidelines that AT was using as the definitive clause that makes all miners businesses.  However  Grin  I do know how to read.  I think I am am somewhat expert in the language of English.  ANd I DO know what the word OR is for when it is in a sentence.  Like for example.  "will be subject to Corporation Tax, Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax ", "Gains and losses incurred on Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies are chargeable or allowable for Capital Gains Tax if they accrue to an individual or, for Corporation Tax on chargeable gains if they accrue to a company."

See funny thing about the word OR.  It means there is an option, that there is one way of looking at it and at least another way.  That it can cover businesses or individuals.  That does not sound like a definitive anything.  And if Mr Tax Geek and Alpha Technology wants to prove that their expert legal team is right they can go present their position in a court of law when customers start filing claims against them.

, I am sure Trading Standards or any other regulatory body in charge of this would have forced Alpha Technology to change their terms to comply by now. I mean it has been 7 months or so since these terms went up.

OMG!!! This is another supportive argument?!?!?  "Well no one has noticed that we are doing this so it must be okay, right?!??!!  If I drive on the highway at 100KMH I'm not violating the law because no one has pulled me over saying I'm driving too fast.  I really hope that this is not the legal advice Alpha Technology is getting.  And this is also the one statement that doesn't pass the smell test and makes all this expert legal advice questionable.  Why would he come out and say that a regulatory body would have told us to stop if we were wrong.  If a legal team gave them a solid footing to stand on their would not have to make a statement like that.  If a regulator body did appear and tell them that it is wrong they could bring in their legal team and have them fight it out with the regulatory body.  But to say well we haven't been found out yet.  That just doesn't sound right.  Like they don't have confidence in the interpretation that they made or that their expert international ninja lawyer team gave them.

(Again, I am no expert and neither do I speak on behalf of Alpha Technology… Just my thoughts)

Again with not being an expert.  Very good you know how to play dumb.  Good for you.  I'm sure it wasn't that much of a stretch.  I' don't speak for Alpha Technology but I was a former director involved in the family business of Alpha Technology.  I"m posting with an Alpha Technology account on an Alpha Technology website forum touting my work for the company doing bookkeeping.

All the backpedaling, identifying he is not an expert anymore even though he branded himself as a tax geek and expert in taxation of mining, trading and holding cryptocurrencies.

...Chartered Certified Accountant, qualified since 2012. I have an extremely high interest in different areas of taxation beyond and above the taxes I deal with in my day to day work.

I am a keen student of Tax and am currently working towards the Chartered Tax Adviser qualification (which is the “elite” and highest tax qualification you can achieve in the UK) and am looking to qualify as a CTA in late 2014.

Currently, working my regular full time job in general practice and dealing with the Accounts and Taxes of small to medium sized businesses. As of yet, none of our clients accept or deal with crypto currencies, however as the market for crypto currencies matures I am sure a lot of them will start to do so.

Unfortunately, I would not have any details or be able to help you with any questions relating to the operations of the business or any engineering related questions. Please direct these questions to one of the other Admins in this forum  Smiley

What I would like to obtain from this Blog

My goal is to help people understand the tax implications of certain activities such as mining, and trading/ holding “crypto-coins” such as bitcoin's and litecoin's.

But now he is distancing himself from his expertise provided and trying to help distance his father all the while publically saying how much the company owns them.  I'm sure if it ever goes to court he is going to print out all these posts point out how he was not as involved as everyone thinks he is.

So put up or shut up tax geek.  Post publically the report from your legal team defining miners as businesses.  I mean its not like it is a trade secret.  It domes give you any economic advantage and will actually help your case as it will put a freeze to all the claims that are starting to be filed against Alpha Tech.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:10:32 AM

Alpha-T's company records are certainly interesting.

Share Holder Records:
2013-11-30 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Akram - 100 Shares (100%)

2014-05-13 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Mubasher Akram - 75 Shares (100%)

2014-07-11 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Mubasher Akram - 90 Shares (90%)
Andrew Laurus - 10 Shares (10%)

Other interesting occurrences:
2013.04.11 Company originally incorporated as CHESHIRE TECHNOLOGY LTD
2013.04.23 Application to dissolve the company
2013.07.19 Dissolution request withdrawn
2013.07.20 Registered office changed from, 3 MOTCOMBE FARM ROAD, HEALD GREEN, CHEADLE, to 64 DICKENSON ROAD
2013.07.22 Company name changed to Alpha Technologies (INTL) LTD.
2013.11.30 Director appointed MR MUHAMMAD AKRAM
2013.12.29 Appointment terminated, DIRECTOR MUHAMMAD AKRAM
2013.12.29 Registered office changed from, 64 DICKENSON ROAD to 66 DICKENSON ROAD
2013.12.29 Director appointed MR MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM
2014.04.06 Appointment terminated, DIRECTOR MOHAMMED AKRAM

Company directors and board members:
MOHAMMED MUBASHER AKRAM (current) 2013.04.11 - ongoing
MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM (resigned) 2013.12.29 - 2014.04.05
MUHAMMAD AKRAM (resigned) 2013.11.30 - 2013.12.29

I find the recent distribution of 10% of Alpha-T shares to Andrew Laurus, very interesting indeed.  See post news about this guy: http://www.asicbitcoinmining.info/2013/08/avalon-might-be-getting-200-million.html and elsewhere around the web.

My bet from this data:
Project went to complete shit; device was built and failed for some reason - faulty chips, crazy power consumption; who knows...  
Company is desperate, so they contracted the entire thing to a third party, offering him stake in the company for his investment.
Alpha-T falls silent on updates because they are no longer running the project.

Also, notice that the fallout with dexcel designs happened right around when MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM resigned from the company.  Obviously something went badly, and it seems even the Managing Director's own brother decided to distance himself from the project.  Mohammed Mubasher Akram got desperate, and attempted to outsource the entire project to someone else.

*Fetches some popcorn and gets ready for the storm*
retro72

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:15:45 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 12:58:58 AM by retro72

Apparently this top law firm wasn't advising them on Jan 10th when they sent forum member "spacedcowboy ths email:

That is inaccurate. EU Laws give customers the right to a warranty for a number of years IF the product is faulty and you can prove it. 6 month warranty is something we are giving as a courtesy to customers we are not in an obligation to give any extended warranty from our end.

In regards to DSR. 7 days after you RECEIVE your product you are entitled to a FULL refund including deposit. This is once final payment is made.

That has no relevance with deposits pre final payment and pre shipping. If a customer decides after agreeing to our set agreements to pay the deposit. And then decides they do not want the product or want to pay final payment. They forfeit the deposit and by law we are allowed to take full deposit. But once again as a courtesy we are giving back deposits as well.

Please do your due diligence and full research. We have checked and confirmed all our rules via the international regulations.

You should contact the DSR and any authorities regarding this case for your self satisfaction.

Alpha Technology Team

So back in Jan they were saying you were covered by the DSR but the DSR did not apply to deposits (no mention of a top law firm back then). BUT you had to pay in full and receive the item to qualify for a refund. After this completely BS statement was roundly discredited they adopted the position they have today.

Alpha are liars and incompetent ones at that. It's statement like these that will destroy them if they even think of defending their position in court. The BS posted by their brother is frankly a joke. I'm sure they have a law firm representing them but it was probably to draw up the contract with Dexcel and nothing to do with their T&Cs or the legal status of bitcoin mining.

Another thing I saw in this post : https://forum.alpha-t.net/index.php?topic=792.msg5381#msg5381

Rizzman
Customer
Re: On credit card processing and a personal note...

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:33 PM »

Update: 2Checkout just notified me of the refund... Please post it on here if you received notice as well

So 2checkout was their payment processor? If so take a gander at their prohibited merchant list: https://www.2checkout.com/policies/prohibited-product-list

Notably this:
Sellers splitting the sale across multiple transactions

Well  paying a 30% deposit and then the 70% balance is splitting the transaction across multiple payments. That would pretty much explain why Alpha have removed the 30% deposit and now require new purchases to pay in full. I'm pretty sure 2checkout would not be happy about a vendor selling a product that doesn't exist either.

So it looks like the Doctor was lying to us. No surprise there, 2checkout were probably upset about their payment terms and lack of product so decided to drop Alpha until they revised their terms an produced a tangible item. This would explain why the Doctor insists they will have a CC provider when they are ready to ship. It's all speculation at this point but one thing is for sure Alpha are up to something and are lying to cover it up.

Edit:  The doctor has confirmed 2checkout was their payment processor:
Now, only a select few were able to fulfill their full order with credit card; one part due to issues with 2co's API........

So my analysis was probably correct and he is a lying sack of s**t
anderl

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:22:15 AM

Alpha-T's company records are certainly interesting.

Share Holder Records:
2013-11-30 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Akram - 100 Shares (100%)

2014-05-13 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Mubasher Akram - 75 Shares (100%)

2014-07-11 :: Share Holders:
Mohammed Mubasher Akram - 90 Shares (90%)
Andrew Laurus - 10 Shares (10%)

Other interesting occurrences:
2013.04.11 Company originally incorporated as CHESHIRE TECHNOLOGY LTD
2013.04.23 Application to dissolve the company
2013.07.19 Dissolution request withdrawn
2013.07.20 Registered office changed from, 3 MOTCOMBE FARM ROAD, HEALD GREEN, CHEADLE, to 64 DICKENSON ROAD
2013.07.22 Company name changed to Alpha Technologies (INTL) LTD.
2013.11.30 Director appointed MR MUHAMMAD AKRAM
2013.12.29 Appointment terminated, DIRECTOR MUHAMMAD AKRAM
2013.12.29 Registered office changed from, 64 DICKENSON ROAD to 66 DICKENSON ROAD
2013.12.29 Director appointed MR MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM
2014.04.06 Appointment terminated, DIRECTOR MOHAMMED AKRAM

Company directors and board members:
MOHAMMED MUBASHER AKRAM (current) 2013.04.11 - ongoing
MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM (resigned) 2013.12.29 - 2014.04.05
MUHAMMAD AKRAM (resigned) 2013.11.30 - 2013.12.29

I find the recent distribution of 10% of Alpha-T shares to Andrew Laurus, very interesting indeed.  See post news about this guy: http://www.asicbitcoinmining.info/2013/08/avalon-might-be-getting-200-million.html and elsewhere around the web.

My bet from this data:
Project went to complete shit; device was built and failed for some reason - faulty chips, crazy power consumption; who knows...  
Company is desperate, so they contracted the entire thing to a third party, offering him stake in the company for his investment.
Alpha-T falls silent on updates because they are no longer running the project.

Also, notice that the fallout with dexcel designs happened right around when MOHAMMED JAFAR AKRAM resigned from the company.  Obviously something went badly, and it seems even the Managing Director's own brother decided to distance himself from the project.  Mohammed Mubasher Akram got desperate, and attempted to outsource the entire project to someone else.

*Fetches some popcorn and gets ready for the storm*

Wasn't Andrew Laurus just a fake account to hoax wheeling and dealing in bitcoins.  I remember the name a did a search here and yup it was some kind of marketing stunt account.  Not sure wha tto make of it.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268201.20
retro72

Activity: 433

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:42:14 AM

Wasn't Andrew Laurus just a fake account to hoax wheeling and dealing in bitcoins.  I remember the name a did a search here and yup it was some kind of marketing stunt account.  Not sure wha tto make of it.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268201.20
Yep that's what I'm reading. If so, Alpha customers are pretty F&%KED. This guy sounds like a clown (I flipped through his twitter feed too). If this guy is involved Alpha must be really desperate.

Personally, I think Alpha ran out of money months ago. The post from the brother stated they owed him and his father thousands and the recent transfer of shares would indicate that too. I think this Laurus guy has promised them a cash injection for a 10% stake. They are waiting and praying for this money to materialise so they can pay for the chips and the other components Dexcel are holding and complete production. If this Laurus guys exploits are to be believed that may never happen.

I think the big update will only come when/if they get this money. If they don't Alpha will probably go bust, as it seems they have tapped out every source of funds and cannot get a CC provider to play ball.

P.S. Another great deconstruction of the Alpha BS Anderl
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 03:47:49 AM

Can always count on my evening going from bad to worse getting caught up on this thread :/

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
anderl

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 03:49:43 AM

Just so you guys don't think you have no legal recourse and Alpha Tech holds all the cards.  Recent events prove otherwise....

OFFICIAL Terrahash: News and Lawsuits
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=443041.msg4865552#msg4865552

Terrahash accepted pre-orders for ASIC mining hardware.  Terrahash failed to deliver the ASIC miner I purchased from them or return my money so I sued them.

My legal case against Terrahash was heard this past Monday.  Terrahash failed to show up after being properly served.   The judge asked to see my receipt and then asked some questions before awarding me a judgement for $10,000 plus court costs.   The fact that my receipt was denominated in Bitcoin was a non-issue.

Contrary to popular belief there is legal recourse when making payments with Bitcoin.
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:36:20 AM

rofl, I called this one from the start. Tough luck.
ph111

Activity: 270

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 07:12:38 AM

rofl, I called this one from the start. Tough luck.

I did think it was fishy from the start still its not something to laugh about i hope someone does something about it  Undecided
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:01:43 AM

Just so you guys don't think you have no legal recourse and Alpha Tech holds all the cards.  Recent events prove otherwise....

OFFICIAL Terrahash: News and Lawsuits
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=443041.msg4865552#msg4865552

Terrahash accepted pre-orders for ASIC mining hardware.  Terrahash failed to deliver the ASIC miner I purchased from them or return my money so I sued them.

My legal case against Terrahash was heard this past Monday.  Terrahash failed to show up after being properly served.   The judge asked to see my receipt and then asked some questions before awarding me a judgement for $10,000 plus court costs.   The fact that my receipt was denominated in Bitcoin was a non-issue.

Contrary to popular belief there is legal recourse when making payments with Bitcoin.

i wish you luck ..but lots of folks sued BFL and still have not gotten any money BFL refused to pay....thus the merging of those people into a class action lawsuit against BFL
to get $$$ back ...easy to win at least what in the states is called a small claims court..but hard to collect like in BFL's case when they changed banks etc after
not accepting paypal etc anymore

wish you to have better luck...but strike quick while they still 'may' pay out or hope they are honest

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
wilson1973

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 09:51:10 AM

All well and good taking action, and I urge all of you to move quickly. The liability is on the company and not with the individuals, the company has no assets to claw your cash back, they have no money in the bank (assuming they have paid for the chips), in which case when they go under all claimants will have only a share of any assets in the bank, minus the liquidators costs.

100% of nothing is....

Good luck and get your claims in early to avoid misery.

vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:31:37 PM

Just when folks didn't think the rabbit hole could get any deeper, they tumble even further. Good luck folks, I'm afraid the ground is about to fall out from beneath you.

spectrem1

Activity: 95

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:44:46 PM

I have received a letter back from the UK Citizens Advice Bureau, it reads as follows.....

Dear *********,

Thank you for your e mail about case reference number CS *********

Thanks for updating us about your case.

Your rights and obligations
When you enter into a contract with a trader by means of a distance communication (telephone, internet, mail order etc.) you will often have cancellation rights under what is known as the Distance Selling Regulations. These state you are entitled to a written notice confirming the details of your order and the fact you have cancellation rights. If you have been given the notice at the time you place the order, your cancellation rights run from the time of order until  7 working days starting from the day after  you receive the goods. If you have not been provided with this written information, your cancellation rights are extended for up to 3 months and 7 working days. To cancel you must inform the trader of your intention, either by letter, email or fax - where you may ask for a full refund (including any delivery charges). The trader must provide this refund within thirty days. To be effective, your cancellation notice must be sent before the end of the cancellation period described above.

You will be able to withdraw from the order at any time for any reason for a refund as long as the goods are not customised in any way making them bespoke.

Criminal offence
If the trader is not allowing you to cancel as per this legislation then this could amount to a criminal offence.

Your next steps
At this stage it might be best to simply discuss the matter with the trader. However, if you are unable to reach an agreeable solution you could take a more formal approach and write. Your letter should outline all relevant events and make it clear both what action you expect from the trader, and why. It should also give the trader a reasonable time in which to respond to your claim(s), e.g. fourteen days.

In addition, sending your letter by “recorded delivery” will provide you with proof of posting; a signature on delivery and online confirmation of delivery.
The reason we suggest this, is just in case you and the trader fail to reach an amicable resolution.  Having a record of your correspondence, and confirmation of delivery, could help demonstrate how and when you attempted to resolve the dispute yourself, should you need to escalate your complaint. Furthermore, the trader would find it difficult to maintain that you have never actually raised a complaint with them if they have signed for your letter. This may be helpful if you consider Court action or some form of formal / managed dispute resolution in the future.

Alternatively, you may consider obtaining a Certificate of Posting - from the Post Office - when you post your letter. Although this does not prove delivery, it can help to show that you sent a letter, on a particular day, to a particular address.

What we’ll do
Due to the business practices described, we will be forwarding the information to Trading Standards for further consideration.  The case details will also be placed on a central database that can be accessed by all other Local Authority Trading Standards Services throughout the UK.

Although we work closely with Trading Standards departments, we are a separate organisation. Individual complaints do not necessarily lead to immediate enforcement action as, sometimes, numerous complaints are needed before effective action can take place.  The information is, however, valuable intelligence for Trading Standards Services and other Government departments. Trading Standards will only contact you if they need further information or feel they could be of further assistance. We cannot make any commitment that Trading Standards will definitely contact you.

If you want to discuss this further please call us on 03454 04 05 06 or reply to this e mail

Kind regards
Citizens Advice consumer service

Things are moving forward I hope.
MB - What is the official address you are sending the "recorded Delivery" to at Alpha? I sent my Letter requesting refund by email and got the same response everyone else got "we're sorry bla bla bla. Is "recorded delivery" the same as certified mail here?

Chance favors the prepared mind -Louis Pasteur
IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:50:30 PM

I have received a letter back from the UK Citizens Advice Bureau, it reads as follows.....

Dear *********,

Thank you for your e mail about case reference number CS *********

Thanks for updating us about your case.

Your rights and obligations
When you enter into a contract with a trader by means of a distance communication (telephone, internet, mail order etc.) you will often have cancellation rights under what is known as the Distance Selling Regulations. These state you are entitled to a written notice confirming the details of your order and the fact you have cancellation rights. If you have been given the notice at the time you place the order, your cancellation rights run from the time of order until  7 working days starting from the day after  you receive the goods. If you have not been provided with this written information, your cancellation rights are extended for up to 3 months and 7 working days. To cancel you must inform the trader of your intention, either by letter, email or fax - where you may ask for a full refund (including any delivery charges). The trader must provide this refund within thirty days. To be effective, your cancellation notice must be sent before the end of the cancellation period described above.

You will be able to withdraw from the order at any time for any reason for a refund as long as the goods are not customised in any way making them bespoke.

Criminal offence
If the trader is not allowing you to cancel as per this legislation then this could amount to a criminal offence.

Your next steps
At this stage it might be best to simply discuss the matter with the trader. However, if you are unable to reach an agreeable solution you could take a more formal approach and write. Your letter should outline all relevant events and make it clear both what action you expect from the trader, and why. It should also give the trader a reasonable time in which to respond to your claim(s), e.g. fourteen days.

In addition, sending your letter by “recorded delivery” will provide you with proof of posting; a signature on delivery and online confirmation of delivery.
The reason we suggest this, is just in case you and the trader fail to reach an amicable resolution.  Having a record of your correspondence, and confirmation of delivery, could help demonstrate how and when you attempted to resolve the dispute yourself, should you need to escalate your complaint. Furthermore, the trader would find it difficult to maintain that you have never actually raised a complaint with them if they have signed for your letter. This may be helpful if you consider Court action or some form of formal / managed dispute resolution in the future.

Alternatively, you may consider obtaining a Certificate of Posting - from the Post Office - when you post your letter. Although this does not prove delivery, it can help to show that you sent a letter, on a particular day, to a particular address.

What we’ll do
Due to the business practices described, we will be forwarding the information to Trading Standards for further consideration.  The case details will also be placed on a central database that can be accessed by all other Local Authority Trading Standards Services throughout the UK.

Although we work closely with Trading Standards departments, we are a separate organisation. Individual complaints do not necessarily lead to immediate enforcement action as, sometimes, numerous complaints are needed before effective action can take place.  The information is, however, valuable intelligence for Trading Standards Services and other Government departments. Trading Standards will only contact you if they need further information or feel they could be of further assistance. We cannot make any commitment that Trading Standards will definitely contact you.

If you want to discuss this further please call us on 03454 04 05 06 or reply to this e mail

Kind regards
Citizens Advice consumer service

Things are moving forward I hope.
MB - What is the official address you are sending the "recorded Delivery" to at Alpha? I sent my Letter requesting refund by email and got the same response everyone else got "we're sorry bla bla bla. Is "recorded delivery" the same as certified mail here?

Basically it means that when you send a letter, the person at the other end has to sign it to receive it, so then you have proof that they got your letter and the recipient can't say that it got Lost in the Post or they did not get a letter.

wilson1973

Activity: 107

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:54:21 PM

It proves that you posted it at least. My best guess is that those shutters are firmly closed, meaning no one is there  to accept / sign for receipt of it !! So it may never be read by those it was intended for.

Keep the proof of posting you'll need this as proof.

spectrem1

Activity: 95

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:15:22 PM

It proves that you posted it at least. My best guess is that those shutters are firmly closed, meaning no one is there  to accept / sign for receipt of it !! So it may never be read by those it was intended for.

Thanks, yes. I guess my question is - re in the states I go to the local PO and send Cert mail with Sig required. Is that the same process for International mail?
Also I am wondering if This address Alpha Technology, 66 Dickenson Road, Manchester M14 5HF England UK is still a real place and should it be sent to a specific person at Alpha?
My next wonder about them is what if they won't sign for the letter? -M

Chance favors the prepared mind -Louis Pasteur
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 01:53:42 PM

Thanks, yes. I guess my question is - re in the states I go to the local PO and send Cert mail with Sig required. Is that the same process for International mail?
Also I am wondering if This address Alpha Technology, 66 Dickenson Road, Manchester M14 5HF England UK is still a real place and should it be sent to a specific person at Alpha?

The smart thing to do is not to sign for the letter..but then again if it is just an 'office flunky' at a desk getting mail the post man or whoever would have them sign it..as an
employee it should be good enough..quess you will just have to send the letter to find out.....signing for it and them vs you on determining what is in the letter may be a whole
nother deal..i suppose you could notarize your signature at your end and have the notary notoriaze your copy as well?

others may know more about this kinda thing...send the letter see what happens nothing to lose if it ends up in alpha's shredder anyway....your in the same boat

my 2c worth

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
brian_23452

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:18:03 PM

What I can't understand is why those of you who got ripped off are still playing games with this company?  It is fairly obvious to anyone not emotionally invested in the outcome, that none of you will get the product you paid for, nor will AT ever willingly return your money.  So why all the posturing and back-and-forth?  File a claim, contact a lawyer, get your money back.  Or not, I guess.  But giving them deadlines and such isn't really all that productive as all it does is give them more time to move the money around, and also makes your position clear (i.e., not really willing to take legal action).

The process itself isn't that difficult.  You send them a certified letter (or whatever it is called in your country, a letter requiring a signature to receive) stating what you ordered, what you paid, your wish to cancel your order and receive a full refund of whatever amount you paid and a deadline to receive the money, something like 7-14 days in the future.  There is no need to give reasons or explanations why, as it isn't their concern (besides, they already know why), nor explain that you aren't a business (they already know that too) or anything like that.  The whole thing should be like 5 lines long, if that.  That's it, done.  Then when they don't pay you, file against them.  

If that isn't something you are comfortable with then hire an attorney, but really the whole thing can be done by yourself.  You're not going to wake up tomorrow and have a meaningful update from AT sitting in your inbox, everyone knows that, so why wait?
Courts seriously frown upon cases where the claimant has made no attempt to negotiate with the defendant themselves.

I've seen a case thrown out of court simply because the defendant said that they had posed a legitimate response to the claimant's request, and received no response, and the claimant couldn't deny it.  If you do what you suggest, and Alpha-T responds with legitimate questions (whether you deem them legitimate or not), then you won't have a leg to stand on in court under any competent judge.

It's perfectly reasonable, and I'd argue that it is the responsible approach to try to settle things with Alpha-T yourself before taking it before the law.

That said, it's about time everyone brings this before the law, and I generally agree with your sentiments.

I think at this point it's more about understanding for many people.  The money, meh... Me, I want to know what happened or is happening at Alpha.

I do not know what the specifics are of the case you are referring to, but if person A owes person B money, and person B requests the money but does not receive it, they are not obligated to enter into lengthy negotiations with the debtor. UK law is very clear on this point, you are all entitled to a complete refund of your money.  At issue is AT's contention that customers are not customers but are businesses and thus they are exempt from the distance seller regulations.  A court's job is to adjudicate this, hence that is where this issue belongs.  As well, until judgments are officially entered against the Company, no one will ever know what "happened over at AT".  As evidenced by their refusal to provide any sort of meaningful update, they will not willingly give out information and thus need to be compelled to do so by a court of law.

I guess the whole point was, whatever method you guys are using to try and get satisfaction from them obviously hasn't worked, and is not working, and there is little reason to think it will suddenly start working.  So perhaps trying something else is in order.  Assuming you are serious about actually getting satisfaction from them.
brian_23452

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

The smart thing to do is not to sign for the letter..but then again if it is just an 'office flunky' at a desk getting mail the post man or whoever would have them sign it..as an
employee it should be good enough..quess you will just have to send the letter to find out.....signing for it and them vs you on determining what is in the letter may be a whole
nother deal..i suppose you could notarize your signature at your end and have the notary notoriaze your copy as well?

others may know more about this kinda thing...send the letter see what happens nothing to lose if it ends up in alpha's shredder anyway....your in the same boat

my 2c worth

Searing

The purpose of a certified letter is to be able to provide proof that you contacted them and requested your money back (since this is the first step in any legal proceedings that may follow).  What AT does with the letter, be it they read it and ignore it, don't read it and throw it away, refuse to sign for it, etc. is of no concern to you.  When you get to court you then have your proof that you sent the request. 
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 03:35:06 PM

There will be an official address of record for Alpha-T at Companies House in London. This may or may not be the Dickenson Road address.

Registered mail must be sent to the official address on record at Companies House.
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 253 »
  Print  

Jump to: