Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:45:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust No One  (Read 161202 times)
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 08:49:16 PM

you better don´t trust banks, don´t trust ponzi schemes and finally should give a shit about otc ratings...watch the fireworks and the fingerpointing which is coming...
but you better trust in your ability to destill confidence out of a conversation and thats to find at bitcoinary.com

Cheers Zyk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 01:28:07 PM

I used to trust my dad, and that's it.  Tongue

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:36:40 PM

Its to bad people are so stupid they put lot of money in the hands of guys like Zhou Tong and Pirateat40.

When something is to good to be true - than it is not good for you.

Unfourtunately this events destroys the reputation of bitcoin for some time...
edar

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:26:49 PM

Its to bad people are so stupid they put lot of money in the hands of guys like Zhou Tong and Pirateat40.

me too , till he turned into my mum   Grin
edar

Activity: 17

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:40:48 AM

me too , till he turned into my mum   Grin
SCAM SITE ALERT
 mtgix is up and running , another scam site .
MeisterLone

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:53:35 AM

I trust deepbit.net with my coins Tongue

Is that considered a problem?
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:14:35 PM

I trust deepbit.net with my coins Tongue

Is that considered a problem?

Deepbit is down at the moment. If you were super FUDdy it might be a problem. But deep bit lets you auto withdraw any amount 3 times a day (unlike btcguild which has a .1 BTC limit).

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
onyxflame

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:20:19 PM

The title sounds like the name of a James bond movie.
)|(

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:31:39 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2012, 08:20:37 AM by )|(

Here's my 2 cents on the idea of trust and authority.

They are both inevitable and necessary.  Economics functions on faith in one another, and authority is a natural feature of our social self-organisation.  It is a libertarian pipe dream that the superimposition of some disconnected, artificial framework would actually succeed.  Already we are seeing centralisation of Bitcoin trade, as is natural, but because the community is so distrustful of centralisation/authority, often it is unprepared for it and the disorder/lack of regulation has resulted in numerous abuses.

Anonymity is useful in some things but accountability is more useful.  There's a reason why, aside from speculation, Bitcoin is mainly used for illegal activity.  It may evolve, and bring some of its advantages into the mainstream, but right now it's stuck in neutral at best, because its functionality in the normal (legal) economy is more or less redundant.  Only by improving functionality in the normal world (it must be fast, simple, and secure) will Bitcoin succeed.  Right now it is fast.  It is secure in theory, but in practice not really, because accountability is insufficient, and the steps one must take to actually be secure are cumbersome and unlikely for the average user (consumer).  Simple (in terms of making everyday purchases), not at all, tho perhaps progress is being made in this respect as well.  http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/22/technology/startups/bitcoin-debit-card/

If Bitcoin does not evolve, somebody else will take the idea and run with it, with an improved platform.
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 07:31:22 PM

What's the point of bitcoin if you have to be so paranoid?

I put this post in the Newbies area for a reason Smiley

I believe that bitcoin will someday be orders of magnitude more secure (and more valuable). If you buy bitcoins now, you are an early adopter getting in while prices are cheap and betting that security and utility will improve.

In the meantime, yes, you must be absurdly paranoid. These websites cannot be trusted any more than you absolutely have to. To actually hold onto your coins long enough for your investment to pay off, you need to push the paranoia up to the tinfoil-hat level. This is the price of being an early bitcoin adopter.

Sound like wise words there dude, tinfoil-hat level paranoia is a term i like lol.... yes I agree - the current state of bitcoin, and hell the human race in relation to bitcoin as well - both require such a level of paranoia at the moment, hopefully this will change in time.
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 04:27:06 PM

Sound like wise words there dude, tinfoil-hat level paranoia is a term i like lol.... yes I agree - the current state of bitcoin, and hell the human race in relation to bitcoin as well - both require such a level of paranoia at the moment, hopefully this will change in time.

It just makes me sad to see how many people trust some website with all their bitcoins. Even if a website is trustworthy, we have seen plenty of them get hacked.

Security is the number-one concern of the dev team, so I am confident that someday people will be able to keep them on their PC safely, but there is still a lot of work to be done before we get there.

In the meantime, be paranoid.

kroneko

Activity: 140
Merit: 27

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 02:57:35 PM

It just makes me sad to see how many people trust some website with all their bitcoins. Even if a website is trustworthy, we have seen plenty of them get hacked.

Security is the number-one concern of the dev team, so I am confident that someday people will be able to keep them on their PC safely, but there is still a lot of work to be done before we get there.

In the meantime, be paranoid.

Thanks for the advice, I think with what has happened over the past year especially I keep my coins in my own local wallet.  If I need to do a transaction I'll do so with the idea of not leaving any extra coins on a site longer than needed, and only to sites that have a decent reputation.   I figure any site potentially can be attacked, last thing I'd want is my coins going with it because I was lazy and left them there unnecessarily.
flatiron

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 12:36:59 AM

Thank you for the advice. I used blockchain.info to hold my bitcoins, but when I read this thread, I am starting to think that I should instead stick with the client wallet that weusecoins provides
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 01:45:24 PM

Hey common, you can trust me guys I'm here to help. PM me if you need anything  Smiley
midnight

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:07:19 AM

Good advice, paranoia is good, keeps you on your toes, TRUST IN BITCOIN and no one else, well... Maybe someone else but just be careful people, obviously.
Monkey1

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 01:33:29 PM

I posted this question in a different thread but it seems that he is a better place for it.

Can you get a wallet on an iPhone or iPad? These are the devices I use for daily business and it would make life so much easier if you could.

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 01:42:43 PM

I posted this question in a different thread but it seems that he is a better place for it.

Can you get a wallet on an iPhone or iPad? These are the devices I use for daily business and it would make life so much easier if you could.

The only one I know of is blockchain.info. You can find some info about it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100787.0
Monkey1

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 01:53:50 PM

Looked it up and downloaded it.  Many thanks. Now I need to work out how it works.  Oh, and get some coins!

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
DreadSy

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:11:33 PM

The wise words of Winston Churchill,
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Even the best of us get scammed when word hasn't got out yet. That's so much more true with Bitcoin. With no established authority to maintain a safe environment, it's only word of mouth that holds the power. So come to think of it... This forum is the closest thing to an authority figure.

• It's this forum (amongst others) that puts scammers in their place.
  • It's this forum that has the respected members of the Bitcoin industry who have the power (and usually the will) to make sure that these scam "artists" get as little attention and respect as possible.
  • It's also this forum that breeds scammers, which is an unfortunate truth.

So trust can be taken with as many grains of salt you wish. If there was an authority with the power to get these scammer sites and services shut down then the Bitcoin-world would be a better place but until then we just have to hold out until somebody gets done over by a scammer and speaks out (preferably on this forum because then I'll find out,  Tongue).

Just putting my case across so hopefully it holds some merit. Like hearing about all your views so thought I might as well join in, hehe.
betatest512

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:52:11 PM

thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 112 »
  Print  

Jump to: