Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:57:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 [1573] 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
iruu

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:44:00 PM

I give 99% that fix of Curve25519 is safe, but the rest 1% doesn't let me to use the fix coz this part is the most critical part of Nxt. So without a formal proof I'll stick to loop inside Crypto.sign.

Last one from me:
There's nothing to prove, math stays the same, it's the implementation that's wrong not the math,.
All the math is already in the file in the comments, those comments were made by this "xmath" dude from sci.crypt (I assume this is Matthijs van Duin).

But ok, I can understand, that you're afraid of such change.
Code:
		if ((v[31] & 0x80) != 0)
{
mula_small(v, v , 0, ORDER, 32, 1);
}
Don't do this. The time required to run the code should NEVER depend on input data. This makes timing attacks possible (depending how to the methods are used).
If this is fixed it should be incorporated into main client.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:51:19 PM

So 2 questions.

1) What is the tecnical term for the assets that will be issued on the asset exchange. Specifically what is the technical term for this type of financial instrument? I know they will be a type of security but they are not futures. When the us treasury issued promissory notes redeemable for gold or silver they called them certificates. Is "certificate" the most accurate term? I, with my silver bullion gateway, would be issuing "silver bullion certificates"?
Share?

2) Even if we know what the technical term is than we probably shouldn't call it that. We may solicit unwanted attention from financial regulators. So what are we going to call them?

Asset?

no a share entitles you to a portion of the equity in a thing. this is different. this is the title to a thing its self. you are the owner of the silver coin, i am the custodian, and the token is the deed that proves that you are the one that owns it.
Ripple calls it IOU, not sure if it makes sense to use the same terminology to reduce general confusion level.

By the way, the community has made it loud and clear that it does NOT want my ideas unless I have a totally vetted and complete solution. Since I was posting ideas to help get them vetted and complete, that means I do not see how I can directly help the NXT community at this point. It seems there is no perceived value in coming up with ideas, even ones that allow us to compete effectively with etherium, and no perceived value in being a project manager.

I put so much time and effort into NXT, it is disappointing to be rejected like this. How would you feel if your ideas were compared to a Ddos attack and then that was +1 many times?? Sorry but I am not Dr Evil, I am not smart enough to solve the tech issues on my own. THAT is why I posted my unfinished ideas, to get help. Anybody can say it is impossible forget about it. I was hoping someone would say maybe there was a way to reduce the problem to a simpler form.

Anyway, I dont want to overstay my welcome so I will limit myself to a most one post per day. I hope that wont be too much of a bother for people to read. i will continue administering the NXTcommunityfund. Once the three committees are fully up and running and if the main funders of the NXTcommunityfund want me to, I will disburse the NXTcommunityfund (minus some amount for rainy day fund) to the three committees or hand over trusteeship to whomever they choose. I dont want anybody to feel like I have so much centralized power that I might actually hurt NXT.

If anybody has actually started on any NXTcommunityfund bounties, let me know. I know of only the tipbot project and acceptance of NXT on websites project. Unless somebody posts that they are actively working on any of the other bounties, I think that it is best that they all be canceled. Wouldnt want to distract anybody from doing things that are actually important by working on my bounties that everybody feels is worthless.

Oh, rickyjames, please pay Zahlen and salsacz 500 NXT. I believe that concludes any current pending NXTcommunityfund business.

I have to pay my bills and at this point I have to either work on my ideas by myself since nobody will constructively help me or accept some external projects that I have been offered.

James

Edit: I hope people here will think I at least did some good by helping getting the unclaimed NXT released to the three committees. I feel that was a big positive, but then again I am probably wrong about that too.
In a week I will provide you a good platform for your ideas, you just have to wait Smiley
Ola

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:51:49 PM

So 2 questions.

1) What is the tecnical term for the assets that will be issued on the asset exchange. Specifically what is the technical term for this type of financial instrument? I know they will be a type of security but they are not futures. When the us treasury issued promissory notes redeemable for gold or silver they called them certificates. Is "certificate" the most accurate term? I, with my silver bullion gateway, would be issuing "silver bullion certificates"?
Share?

2) Even if we know what the technical term is than we probably shouldn't call it that. We may solicit unwanted attention from financial regulators. So what are we going to call them?

Asset?

no a share entitles you to a portion of the equity in a thing. this is different. this is the title to a thing its self. you are the owner of the silver coin, i am the custodian, and the token is the deed that proves that you are the one that owns it.
Ripple calls it IOU, not sure if it makes sense to use the same terminology to reduce general confusion level.

By the way, the community has made it loud and clear that it does NOT want my ideas unless I have a totally vetted and complete solution. Since I was posting ideas to help get them vetted and complete, that means I do not see how I can directly help the NXT community at this point. It seems there is no perceived value in coming up with ideas, even ones that allow us to compete effectively with etherium, and no perceived value in being a project manager.

I put so much time and effort into NXT, it is disappointing to be rejected like this. How would you feel if your ideas were compared to a Ddos attack and then that was +1 many times?? Sorry but I am not Dr Evil, I am not smart enough to solve the tech issues on my own. THAT is why I posted my unfinished ideas, to get help. Anybody can say it is impossible forget about it. I was hoping someone would say maybe there was a way to reduce the problem to a simpler form.

Anyway, I dont want to overstay my welcome so I will limit myself to a most one post per day. I hope that wont be too much of a bother for people to read. i will continue administering the NXTcommunityfund. Once the three committees are fully up and running and if the main funders of the NXTcommunityfund want me to, I will disburse the NXTcommunityfund (minus some amount for rainy day fund) to the three committees or hand over trusteeship to whomever they choose. I dont want anybody to feel like I have so much centralized power that I might actually hurt NXT.

If anybody has actually started on any NXTcommunityfund bounties, let me know. I know of only the tipbot project and acceptance of NXT on websites project. Unless somebody posts that they are actively working on any of the other bounties, I think that it is best that they all be canceled. Wouldnt want to distract anybody from doing things that are actually important by working on my bounties that everybody feels is worthless.

Oh, rickyjames, please pay Zahlen and salsacz 500 NXT. I believe that concludes any current pending NXTcommunityfund business.

I have to pay my bills and at this point I have to either work on my ideas by myself since nobody will constructively help me or accept some external projects that I have been offered.

James

Edit: I hope people here will think I at least did some good by helping getting the unclaimed NXT released to the three committees. I feel that was a big positive, but then again I am probably wrong about that too.

for the record james you are a valued member of this community, but why are you taking what people say to heart? your ideas are welcome always...should people not give you constructive advice at all? for example this thread has suggested you put most of your ideas here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345619.msg5039893#msg5039893  and then gradually introduce them are people wrong for this?

Nxter,Bitcoiner,Ether highlevel developer working to improve the world.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:51:57 PM

I see what you mean. Commodity-backed money. Hmm, will history repeat itself? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LWqgohO4E

The money should be backed by commodity and not the way is now.
The commodity is limited, planet earth is limited resources on the planet are limited
there is no space for infinite growth in economy.
Now the money is not backed by anything or only by empty promises in future.
We don't know the future therefore we should not believe in future promises.
Current economic model is detached from nature it does not follow the nature cycles
and will bring us do destruction.
Check the signature to learn more. Wink

This is where I got the YT movie from. Smiley Thanks for that.
Ola

Activity: 311

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:55:43 PM

@cfb I am sure you code to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOTURWqJyhU&list=PL4518B1FCFD912E2F
how do you not fall alseep?

Nxter,Bitcoiner,Ether highlevel developer working to improve the world.
Pouncer

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:57:02 PM

So 2 questions.

Share?

Asset?

I suggest you call it anything, other than something misleading or sounding like a wall street financial instrument. What's important is how you define that asset. Let's call it AAg (Anon silver) as an example. 1 unit of AAg = "whatever you define".

Many may not understand the difference between holding title to an asset vs having a claim to a pool of asset. To make your service safe for market participants and professional (and hence profitable for you), it would help if you publish, sign and embedded a social contract into the blockchain defining a few key points:-

(1) Title to asset is transferred from you to buyer upon x confirmations by the Nxt network
(2) Until physical delivery is effected, any holder of AAg as defined by the Nxt blockchain remains the bailor and you become the bailee of the asset. See Bailment.
(3) Asset is stored by bailee on an Allocated asset (as opposed to an Unallocated or pooled asset).
(4) If you deal with bars with serial numbers, you could offer storage as Segregated asset, in which case each title is tied to a unique physical item.

(2) is the most important. Once it has been established that you are acting as a bailee and have no legal rights to the AAg and that they do not appear on your balance sheet, it cannot be sold by liquidators if you become bankrupt (not that you will Smiley) or if it's confiscated by the FBI.

This is how major bullion custodians like GoldMoney, BullionVaut & PerthMint do it.

Hope it makes sense.

NXTtechdevfund  GPG Key ID: 0x903BC112
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:57:51 PM

if you're asking if negative input is legal, yes it is.

To simplify it, it's similar to how modulo operates in C.
If you do:
Code:
int x = (1-3) % 5;    // -2 % 5

you'll get "-2" as a result, but what you're actually interested in is:
Code:
int x = (1-3 + group_order) % 5;    // (-2 + 5) % 5  = 3 % 5 == 5

group_order == 5, and you'll get 3 as a result...

Yes, I know.

So, the problem is that -2 or 3 is processed further and we are not certain if -2 behaves differently than 3 does. That is certainly a problem.

EDIT: we are not certain if the 3 resulting from a -2 is process the same way as we would give it another try.

"-2" is passed as input to verify() which was expecting to see "3" not "-2"...

But it is not sure, if -2 in form as a 3 would result in the same outcome as it would be a 'real' 3 from the beginning.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:58:25 PM

So 2 questions.

Share?

Asset?

James

That's a shame, you're always coming up with with good inovative ideas.
xyzzyx

Activity: 490

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:58:44 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 12:17:22 AM by xyzzyx

Hey man, don't become discouraged.

You generate a lot of ideas.  My suggestion is to keep a personal journal of your ideas.  As they become more fleshed out, post about one of the more mature ideas here or in the wiki.  This will allow people to concentrate on a single strong idea at a time rather than be overwhelmed with many vaguely defined ideas at once.

You do good work, and if you keep the focus narrow I think people will be more willing to contribute with you.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:00:01 AM

James, I like your thoughts, ideas and energy in this community.

This was in response to your last posts:

I'm no IT project manager but right now, brainstorming some ideas and projects could actually be quite healthy. The problem is maybe that notevery idea (and the interaction/interference) gets discusses here. We have no overview right now of projects, ideas, developments, developers right now.

After that, http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/List_of_Proposals was created with the idea that maybe this could be the hub for all (your) ideas.

I hope you don't get discouraged by the poor resonance to your ideas in this thread! Stay with your brain and energy - Nxt needs you.

Bitventurer

Activity: 488

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:06:21 AM

So 2 questions.

Share?

Asset?

James

fuck IOUs, tis is why we are in deep shit worldwide ,

you need to join nxtorg , to get in to brainstorming before posting something, thats why there's the saying "that two brains are better then one, or three then two..."

first analyze then post, think , build , ... here in this topic its all at once ... its cool, but takes much more time...
and some times doesnt works.

SP8DE - The Game of Chance. Changed.
rickyjames

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:07:37 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 12:59:09 AM by rickyjames

72 HOURS UNTIL BERLIN BITCOIN CONFERENCE - IS NXT READY???

http://insidebitcoins.de/en/

Conference fund for year 2014:

Berlin
tickets:
5x 100 Euro
McJavar - funded 15,304 NXT ( http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=11433600460445633305 )

THIS ACCOUNT NOW AT ZERO

McJAVAR MAY NOT EVEN GO:

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,1518.msg36249.html#msg36249

- l8orre - local (= ticket only)
- admiral.fu ("My main interest to be there is BTC"), 1) designing/printing 10 T-shirts for me and other nexters
- Bitventurer - from Hamburg
- Salsacz (?) - from South Bohemia
- narknark (?) - from Hamburg

= 5x (3000 Nxt) + 2-4x travel+hotel (1-4000 Nxt) = 15.000 + 8-16.000 = 25-35.000 Nxt

SALSACZ -

WHO IS GOING?

WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO?

WHAT COMMUNICATIONS CONTACT WILL THERE BE WITH THEM?

WHAT WAS BOUGHT WITH 15,304 NXT FROM YOUR CONFERENCE FUND?
jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:10:11 AM

if you're asking if negative input is legal, yes it is.

To simplify it, it's similar to how modulo operates in C.
If you do:
Code:
int x = (1-3) % 5;    // -2 % 5

you'll get "-2" as a result, but what you're actually interested in is:
Code:
int x = (1-3 + group_order) % 5;    // (-2 + 5) % 5  = 3 % 5 == 5

group_order == 5, and you'll get 3 as a result...

Yes, I know.

So, the problem is that -2 or 3 is processed further and we are not certain if -2 behaves differently than 3 does. That is certainly a problem.

EDIT: we are not certain if the 3 resulting from a -2 is process the same way as we would give it another try.

"-2" is passed as input to verify() which was expecting to see "3" not "-2"...

But it is not sure, if -2 in form as a 3 would result in the same outcome as it would be a 'real' 3 from the beginning.

In math  -2 mod 5 equals 3.   Is that the result, which is wanted?    ... in that case C implementation is wrong there and should not use % with negative numbers. (change to positive by adding 5)

Bitventurer

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:13:16 AM

Berlin
tickets:
5x 100 Euro
McJavar - funded 15,304 NXT ( http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=3000&acc=11433600460445633305 )

THIS ACCOUNT NOW AT ZERO

- admiral.fu ("My main interest to be there is BTC"), 1) designing/printing 10 T-shirts for me and other nexters

= 5x (3000 Nxt) + 2-4x travel+hotel (1-4000 Nxt) = 15.000 + 8-16.000 = 25-35.000 Nxt

SALSACZ -

WHO IS GOING?

im going + salsacz + some more people i think about 5-6

will see how it will work out ... guess it will be fine  Wink

fine/fun

l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:24:01 AM

Berlin
tickets:
5x 100 Euro

THIS ACCOUNT NOW AT ZERO

SALSACZ -

WHO IS GOING?

well .. it is 20 past 1 in th emorning, and I'm about to go to bed ... tomorrow will be tough to get the AE client ready. I am wiring the final sigs, and there is a good chance that it'll be out on tuesday.
In fact, when the Conference is on the 12th and the client is out, I'll be needing a break anyway. But I won't be good for much re-presenting, because I'm a bit wrinkled right now ..
cheers  Shocked
grandpa_seth

Activity: 316

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:24:59 AM

So 2 questions.

Share?

Asset?

James

James, I +1 with pin because what he said was exactly what I was thinking lately. I respect your ideas and amazing ability to articulate all

your ideas. But it also felt like you were derailing the direction Nxt is taking naturally. Nxt is absolutely a community driven project

but I believe we need the core ideas that have not been implemented yet to take its course before even thinking about going with your many

ideas some of them being a bit radical. I can say honestly that you are an absolute asset to Nxt. I just want you to use your obvious talents

and enthusiasm in a way that concentrates in one or two important improvements to Nxt at a time. You may very well have the foresight

to see our future problems with competition and are eager to fix them now. Its just too soon too much with a lot of your ideas. Please continue

to be who you are, but just concentrate your efforts more to the natural flow of the community.
rickyjames

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:31:39 AM

James

As treasurer of the NXTcommunityfund, I will disburse 1000 NXT per your directions above.

James, buddy, listen to me.  Nobody here is your adversary or enemy.  You are obviously a very smart guy.  Every single one of the ideas you have presented has great merit.  You were given sole control of the NXTcommunityfund because several people believe in you and your ideas and still do.  You are held in great esteem by everybody in this thread.

But this thread is a crazy roller coaster ride.  It strains everybody's abilities just to hang on for the ride.  We all do it because if something interesting about NXT is going to pop up, it's probably going to pop up here first.  But it takes everybody's personal mental bandwidth just to process these posts. 

You are so prolific that we just can't keep up with you in this kind of an environment.   Other, more appropriate environments elsewhere have been suggested where we CAN keep up.  Before you bail out on us and NXT, PLEASE try them. 

Everybody has a bad day/week/longer sometimes where things don't go their way and the path ahead looks bleak.  If it's your time in the barrel for that, don't make a huge swing of the pendulum to "limiting yourself to at most one post daily".  Go with the flow and try to adapt.  Talk about one of your ideas and keep talking about it.  See how far you can go with it.  Nobody here is expecting you to solve all NXT's problems tomorrow all by yourself.  Don't expect that of yourself either.

Relax.  Don't panic.  Stay calm and carry on.
Bitventurer

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:39:11 AM

thats why ma vision gives me hope, the organizing + brightest brains will get united through nxtorrg.  Grin

jl777 that's why , people that build and people visioning dont see the whole picture at first ...

it only works step by step , but the visionair needs to organize.. at the same time with the "builder" ...

apenzl

Activity: 396

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:53:00 AM

Nobody here is your adversary or enemy.  (…) But this thread is a crazy roller coaster ride. (…) Other, more appropriate environments elsewhere have been suggested where we CAN keep up.  Before you bail out on us and NXT, PLEASE try them.

+++++++++++++++++

James, I look forward to every post you make.
You express visions for Nxt. If just 1/3 turns into reality, we've come a long way. Thank you!

jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:54:43 AM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM by jkoil

James

As treasurer of the NXTcommunityfund, I will disburse 1000 NXT per your directions above.

James, buddy, listen to me.  Nobody here is your adversary or enemy.  You are obviously a very smart guy.  Every single one of the ideas you have presented has great merit.  You were given sole control of the NXTcommunityfund because several people believe in you and your ideas and still do.  You are held in great esteem by everybody in this thread.

But this thread is a crazy roller coaster ride.  It strains everybody's abilities just to hang on for the ride.  We all do it because if something interesting about NXT is going to pop up, it's probably going to pop up here first.  But it takes everybody's personal mental bandwidth just to process these posts.  

You are so prolific that we just can't keep up with you in this kind of an environment.   Other, more appropriate environments elsewhere have been suggested where we CAN keep up.  Before you bail out on us and NXT, PLEASE try them.  

Everybody has a bad day/week/longer sometimes where things don't go their way and the path ahead looks bleak.  If it's your time in the barrel for that, don't make a huge swing of the pendulum to "limiting yourself to at most one post daily".  Go with the flow and try to adapt.  Talk about one of your ideas and keep talking about it.  See how far you can go with it.  Nobody here is expecting you to solve all NXT's problems tomorrow all by yourself.  Don't expect that of yourself either.

Relax.  Don't panic.  Stay calm and carry on.

+1   ..especially the bolded texts

To jl777
I'd suggest that you follow this other james's advices Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 [1573] 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: