Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:04:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:16:25 AM

CFB: will those 100 VPS help? How much would be needed to make the network safe for the beginnings?

Yes, these 100 VPS will help a lot. We can't be sure that this number is enough though, this is just a matter of money that must be spent to bring Nxt network down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:18:33 AM

Eventually, it would find a healthy node.  As the network grows and zombie nodes make up a smaller percent of the nodes, this will be less of a problem.

Yeah, maybe the best course of action is to set up small hallmarked nodes.
Create a small hallmark, with a Weight of 100 or so. Set up a special 'node' account, fund it with 100 NXT, create a hallmark against it. If there are hundreds of hallmarked accounts with 100 Weight, that should help.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:23:00 AM

Does anyone have an updated official nextfiles.zip ? my blocks have been out of whack since the DDOSers

There is no official nextfiles.zip. Delete *.nxt files and let the client to do the rest.
gbeirn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:23:52 AM

Eventually, it would find a healthy node.  As the network grows and zombie nodes make up a smaller percent of the nodes, this will be less of a problem.

Create a small hallmark, with a Weight of 100 or so. Set up a special 'node' account, fund it with 100 NXT, create a hallmark against it. If there are hundreds of hallmarked accounts with 100 Weight, that should help.

Yes, this is what I am wondering, what is the best course of action right now if we can't get everyone to remove their hallmark? Is there an optimal NXT amount a hallmark should have?

NXT VPS Server Donations can be sent here: 6044921191674841550
At the end of each month I will donate some of them back to the community.
This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
EmoneyRu

Activity: 600
Merit: 500

Nxt-kit developer

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:24:27 AM

Eventually, it would find a healthy node.  As the network grows and zombie nodes make up a smaller percent of the nodes, this will be less of a problem.

Or maybe set weight when getting hallmark to 100?

laowai80

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:26:07 AM

I just manually resynced all the nodes 20-30 mins ago.

Well, hallmarked ones got stuck at block 23547
bandwidth graph shows 5 mb/s ddos to them.

non hallmarked nodes sync well and are at block 23567 now.

so, yeah, we need thousands of small weight hallmarked nodes.
Unless CfB can offer other solutions.
laowai80

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:27:09 AM

Or maybe set weight when getting hallmark to 100?

The Weight grows automatically if you fund the account with more NXTs Smiley
It has to be a special 'node' account with only 100 NXTs in it.
gbeirn

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:27:18 AM

Hmmm, well I certainly want to setup more nodes but only if they will be helpful to the network. The logic behind not hallmarking nodes makes sense. I can either setup many un-hallmarked or move some NXT around and setup a few hallmarked ones. I'm off to bed since I'm quite tired. I'll review the thread tomorrow and maybe we can figure out a good way to proceed.

Maybe we can setup some servers with good DDoS protection in the mean time until we can figure out what to do.

Do NOT setup nodes that are not hallmarked.  These unhallmarked nodes hurt the network because they only request information from hallmarked nodes and these hallmarked nodes are the only nodes servicing the network.

The type of DDoS protection you are referring to doesn't do any good with this type of DDoS attack.  This DDoS attack is an application level attack against HALLMARKED nodes.

OK, gotcha, sorry it's way past my bedtime. So it appears we needn't have differentiation between types of nodes, meaning either they should be majority hallmarked or none at all...Correct?

Edit: and since it is unrealistic to un-hallmark all nodes our only option is to hallmark as many as possible to spread out the number of targets which can be DDoS'd....and we wouldn't want too many hallmarked nodes to stand out above the others since they would be the first targets. So maybe we all agree to setup nodes with similar weights?

This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:28:50 AM

you guys are confusing me with weight.... i have 6 hallmarked nodes, each on a separate IP.  if i set the weight to 100 on all of them, then doesnt each hallmarked node appear to have 1/6 of my hallmarked accounts balance?
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:30:19 AM

Hmmm, well I certainly want to setup more nodes but only if they will be helpful to the network. The logic behind not hallmarking nodes makes sense. I can either setup many un-hallmarked or move some NXT around and setup a few hallmarked ones. I'm off to bed since I'm quite tired. I'll review the thread tomorrow and maybe we can figure out a good way to proceed.

Maybe we can setup some servers with good DDoS protection in the mean time until we can figure out what to do.

Do NOT setup nodes that are not hallmarked.  These unhallmarked nodes hurt the network because they only request information from hallmarked nodes and these hallmarked nodes are the only nodes servicing the network.

The type of DDoS protection you are referring to doesn't do any good with this type of DDoS attack.  This DDoS attack is an application level attack against HALLMARKED nodes.

OK, gotcha, sorry it's way past my bedtime. So it appears we needn't have differentiation between types of nodes, meaning either they should be majority hallmarked or none at all...Correct?

Yes.  The current problem is that network requests are not being distributed to healthy nodes.  They are being concentrated on hallmarked nodes only regardless of their workload or sync status.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
laowai80

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:31:59 AM

you guys are confusing me with weight.... i have 6 hallmarked nodes, each on a separate IP.  if i set the weight to 100 on all of them, then doesnt each hallmarked node appear to have 1/6 of my hallmarked accounts balance?

I think that no matter what you set the Weight too, the Weight will show what your account holds now. And if you add more to that account, the Weight will reflect that accordingly. So there is a need to set up a special 'node' account and fund it with 100 NXT only. Maybe someone can set up a donation fund just for that and verify that people indeed set up hallmarked nodes with the amount they received from the donation fund by looking up the IP in the peers list.
gbeirn

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:33:54 AM

I think that no matter what you set the Weight too, the Weight will show what your account holds now. And if you add more to that account, the Weight will reflect that accordingly. So there is a need to set up a special 'node' account and fund it with 100 NXT only. Maybe someone can set up a donation fund just for that and verify that people indeed set up hallmarked nodes with the amount they received from the donation fund by looking up the IP in the peers list.

I think we are thinking along the same lines:

Edit: and since it is unrealistic to un-hallmark all nodes our only option is to hallmark as many as possible to spread out the number of targets which can be DDoS'd....and we wouldn't want too many hallmarked nodes to stand out above the others since they would be the first targets. So maybe we all agree to setup nodes with similar weights?

2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:35:02 AM

Hallmarking might work if all nodes that were marked that had over a certain nxt balance.  For instance, you could hallmark a node with 100 nxt, but a node hallmarked with 100 nxt and a node hallmarked with 100,000 nxt would have the same priority with peers.  This would make running a zombie network more costly because each zombie node would be forced to have a 100 nxt hallmark.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
laowai80

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:35:47 AM

Yes, many 100 Weight nodes, or any other small number will do. Someone should manage the donation fund for that purpose specifically and verify that hallmarked nodes with paid out amounts are indeed running with the paid out Weight value.
gbeirn

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:36:14 AM

Hallmarking might work if all nodes that were marked that had over a certain nxt balance.  For instance, you could hallmark a node with 100 nxt, but a node hallmarked with 100 nxt and a node hallmarked with 100,000 nxt would have the same priority with peers.  This would make running a zombie network more costly because each zombie node would be forced to have a 100 nxt hallmark.
edit:
nevermind, wrong post

laowai80

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:37:37 AM

a node hallmarked with 100 nxt and a node hallmarked with 100,000 nxt would have the same priority with peers.

CfB, please confirm if this is true?
If true, it shouldn't be that way, I think?
More weight = more trust from peers approach is better?
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:37:56 AM

Yes, many 100 Weight nodes, or any other small number will do. Someone should manage the donation fund for that purpose specifically and verify that hallmarked nodes with paid out amounts are indeed running with the paid out Weight value.

There needs to be a fallback mechanism in the code to allow for nodes that do not receive a response from hallmarked nodes to then request data from lesser and lesser weighted nodes.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:40:12 AM

Just blocks.nxt

Both must be deleted, otherwise blockchain will be inconsistent.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:40:42 AM

a node hallmarked with 100 nxt and a node hallmarked with 100,000 nxt would have the same priority with peers.

CfB, please confirm if this is true?
If true, it shouldn't be that way, I think?
More weight = more trust from peers approach is better?

The problem with this is that heavily weighted nodes are bigger targets to attack and when they get attacked, they disrupt the network to greater extent because they are being used as the main nodes.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 06:40:58 AM

what port do i need to unblock for the client?

*edit* not for loopback to access the gui but for incoming and outgoing connections to peers

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: « 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: