Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:19:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
cryptolawyer

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:51:06 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2014, 11:03:24 PM by cryptolawyer

Knowing identity of carlos allows credible legal threat to stop his nonsense. He doesn't care about actually running a coin, so your protection doesn't work. People will still get scammed and then might blame NXT.

If you want to legally prohibit people  from redistributing and using your code in other projects, copyright law already does that.  Open source doesn't mean anyone can use it if you have a copyright notice on the code.

This no difference between software and images copyright.

Simply add on top of every source file:

/*
 * Developer : Developer Name (example@example.com)
 * Date : xx/yy/zzzz
 * All code (c)2014 name -- all rights reserved
* You may not use, copy, or distribute the code without written permission from the  developer
 */

Yeah it's as simple as that.

That makes it illegal to use the code without developer's permission.

This actually is the most restrictive form of license you can release your code under. According to this, every time your code is called or executed you need written permission from the developer. The mainstream open source licenses are what you want to be considering; as they have well thought-out mechanisms to permit your code to be useful yet restrictive enough to prohibit exploitative uses.

"According to this, every time your code is called or executed you need written permission from the developer."

Not everytime. Jus once. If the developer has offered the permission to use it with Nxt project, that one time written permission is enough.

Not quite, who does he give the written permission to? Nxt, as has been pointed out, is not a separate entity, but an informal group of individuals. Each would need separate written permission. How about all future users of Nxt who are unknown at this time?

I'm not advocating that this be made unnecessarily complicated, but there's a reason that software licenses are not one liners. If we want to call the software open source, it really should be licensed under one of the accepted open source licenses, otherwise you have unclear copyright when people use or build on the platform.

People are watching the crypto currency movement very with an eye towards developing commercial applications, even if the community has other motives. Releasing under a well known license would go a long way to comforting commercial developers, the attention of whom would work wonders for Nxt.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:52:57 PM

Knowing identity of carlos allows credible legal threat to stop his nonsense. He doesn't care about actually running a coin, so your protection doesn't work. People will still get scammed and then might blame NXT.

If you want to legally prohibit people  from redistributing and using your code in other projects, copyright law already does that.  Open source doesn't mean anyone can use it if you have a copyright notice on the code.

/*
* You may not use, copy, or distribute the code without written permission from the  developer
 */

This actually is the most restrictive form of license you can release your code under. According to this, every time your code is called or executed you need written permission from the developer. The mainstream open source licenses are what you want to be considering; as they have well thought-out mechanisms to permit your code to be useful yet restrictive enough to prohibit exploitative uses.

"According to this, every time your code is called or executed you need written permission from the developer."

Not everytime. Jus once. If the developer has offered the permission to use it with Nxt project, that one time written permission is enough.

Not quite, who does he give the written permission to? Nxt, as has been pointed out, is not a separate entity, but an informal group of individuals? How all future users of Nxt who are unknown at this time.

I'm not advocating that this be made unnecessarily complicated, but there's a reason that software licenses are not one liners. If we want to call the software open source, it really should be licensed under one of the accepted open source licenses, otherwise you have unclear copyright when people use or build on the platform.

People are watching the crypto currency movement very with an eye towards developing commercial applications, even if the community has other motives. Releasing under a well known license would go a long way to comforting commercial developers, the attention of whom would work wonders for Nxt.

The source code now is released under the MIT licence.

https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt-public/src/4073c21098076d3469b3f74d49e73ffabe3a2001/MIT-license.txt?at=master

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
cryptolawyer

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:05:26 PM

/*
 */

Not quite, who does he give the written permission to? Nxt, as has been pointed out, is not a separate entity, but an informal group of individuals? How all future users of Nxt who are unknown at this time.

The source code now is released under the MIT licence.

https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt-public/src/4073c21098076d3469b3f74d49e73ffabe3a2001/MIT-license.txt?at=master

Great, thanks for the clarification.
starik69
Legendary

Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:07:10 PM

20000!  Cool
cromaclear

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

is bter working slow to process next deposits for you??

more than 2 hours with me...i thought they had corrected that...sync button doen't work either....

what the hell is going on with bter??
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:30:23 PM

more than 2 hours with me...i thought they had corrected that...sync button doen't work either....

2 hours if fine, I am waiting for more than 3 days
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:32:46 PM

Very quick question, çoz I just got home to find both my home NRS node and me VPS being completely mad:

Is/has something wierd been happening on the client/blockchain front, and do I need to upgrade to 5.11 ?

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:42:05 PM

Very quick question, çoz I just got home to find both my home NRS node and me VPS being completely mad:

Is/has something wierd been happening on the client/blockchain front, and do I need to upgrade to 5.11 ?

Some people have reported splits since the new client was released.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
^[GS]^

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:46:26 PM

Coming soon! Wink

NXTio.org
NXTCoin's first automatic forge platform!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nxtio
Twitter: https://twitter.com/NxtForge
Google+: https://plus.google.com/109110693804725787704

EvilDave

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:50:49 PM

Put me down as reporting that both my 5.10 nodes (home & VPS) seem to have split off into madville.
Constant blockchain re-scans, looks stable for 5 minutes, then the blocks start running back and the unconfirmed tx go to the moon.
Refeshing NRS in-browser makes no diff, restoring blockchain backups also only good for 5 minutes.

Bollocks, looks like I'm going to be upgrading for a while.
I hate everyone......... Angry

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:02:00 AM

Put me down as reporting that both my 5.10 nodes (home & VPS) seem to have split off into madville.
Constant blockchain re-scans, looks stable for 5 minutes, then the blocks start running back and the unconfirmed tx go to the moon.
Refeshing NRS in-browser makes no diff, restoring blockchain backups also only good for 5 minutes.

Bollocks, looks like I'm going to be upgrading for a while.
I hate everyone......... Angry

Same happened to me, all the sudden 5.0.10 became unstable.  I think there was even a fork and block explorer was on another branch.

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:15:41 AM

My interpretation is that any NXT holder is damaged by anybody that steals NXT property. So theoretically, anybody owning NXT at the time of infringement would have standing to sue. Is that wrong?
James

And when a stakeholder is actually doing those things? Copying, cloning etc? isn't that the case with all those clones?

So I guess you have to be a Nxt stakeholder to clone Nxt.  Looks like the NEM folks (apparently Nxt insiders) are busy collecting donations in Nxt and BTC for their Nxt clone:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=440185.0  

Let the clone wars begin!

What was that again about the 'trap' in the code that'll render clones dead in 24 hours?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:28:32 AM

My interpretation is that any NXT holder is damaged by anybody that steals NXT property. So theoretically, anybody owning NXT at the time of infringement would have standing to sue. Is that wrong?
James

And when a stakeholder is actually doing those things? Copying, cloning etc? isn't that the case with all those clones?

So I guess you have to be a Nxt stakeholder to clone Nxt.  Looks like the NEM folks (apparently Nxt insiders) are busy collecting donations in Nxt and BTC for their Nxt clone:

What was that again about the 'trap' in the code that'll render clones dead in 24 hours?

Anyone can clone Nxt, but CFB can kill it.  NEM is founded by Utopian, he's a Nxt supporter, but the only insiders would be CFB and JL. 
cromaclear

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:29:00 AM

2 hours if fine, I am waiting for more than 3 days

well, now, new funny thing. my nxt in bter were sent from the receiving account to the market account but they do not appear in my balance...
don't tell me why but bter does not work very good....
okaynow

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:32:50 AM

January 31 is Chinese New Year, so Bter & friends in the east are probably having a hangover now...

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:33:46 AM

James

Anyone can clone Nxt, but CFB can kill it.  NEM is founded by Utopian, he's a Nxt supporter, but the only insiders would be CFB and JL. 

So, because Utopian is a Nxt support, it's okay for him to create a clone?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
salsacz

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:35:36 AM

actually it would be stupid if someone outside of Nxt community wanted to create fork of Nxt, because he has no experience etc
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 12:36:43 AM

Does anybody have experience with JNA or JNI?
We need somebody to make libzerocoin callable from Java and I think JNI allows us to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Native_Interface

If you can help with this please let me know.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:38:10 AM

actually it would be stupid if someone outside of Nxt community wanted to create fork of Nxt, because he has no experience etc

So, anyone inside of the Nxt community is allowed to create a fork of Nxt?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
salsacz

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:38:51 AM

So, anyone inside of the Nxt community is allowed to create a fork of Nxt?

sure, it spreads the word about Nxt
Pages: « 1 ... 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: