Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:00:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
pandaisftw

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:39:18 PM

How about... a transparent nxt monolith.
Proportions 1:4:9 as in 2001: A Space Odyssey Cool

Where can I buy one of these to put on my desk? Grin

Or maybe it could be my desk.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NXERIUM

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:40:32 PM

Just launched NXERIUM, check it out !

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=437512.0
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:41:07 PM

I'm afraid u have to wait 5 days more coz I was off and noone else can implement necessary API calls. And btw, I'm still waiting for the combined list. Or any list.

OK guys Ill start us off, add your requests to the list:

1)  an API to get a qty of assets.  requred parameer of acctnumbr. with no other parameters it lists all qtys of all assets.  optional parameter of an assetID to just get qty of that asset.  another optional parameter of a timestamp to get a snapshot before or after that particular time.  these 2 options may be used together

2)  I still dont fully understand if/how/when automated transfers work, since in my testing so far, with no QTY API, I cannot tell if automated trades due to bid/sell matching occurs.  so Im sure if this process can be described, we'd want some other APIs  Wink

3)  Allow "getAskOrderIds" and "getBidOrderIds" to specify a certain assetID

4) An API to show all transfers of an asset from 1 account, specifying the asset and the transfer-or, and optionally the transfer-ee, and optionally a timestamp to show transfers before or after that point.

5) An API to show all transfers of assets into 1 account, optionally allowing to filter to a specific asset,and optionally a timestamp to show transfers before or after that point.

Anyone else besides the crickets?
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:42:26 PM

Ya know what i was thinking today? of course you don't thats why I'm about to tell you.

I've been hearing a lot of criticism of bitcoin lately from the potential for altcoins to erode the trust in the concept of digital scarcity. Most notably the interview with adam back on lets talk bitcoin. By building decentralized exchange into the bottom protocol layer I think nxt can potentially restore this trust. Think about it, no other copy of nxt will ever have markets with as much market depth as nxt. Meaning their copy nxt will never has as much utility. Thus a copy of nxt is not "just as good as nxt". Since no copy of nxt will ever be "just as good as nxt" nxt can be thought of as scarce in a way that bitcoin can not.

I think this could be added to our list of "core arguments" in favor of nxt.

Yeah, I like he idea, but the more we build on top layer, the less can be copied.  Take Nxt marketplace for example.  If users were able to access a specific decentralized Nxt Marketplace (like a torrent) and be able to view and contribute to the market within their client, we would add immense unique value to Nxt, because that couldn't be copied or accessed outside of the Nxt network.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:43:46 PM

Ya know what i was thinking today? of course you don't thats why I'm about to tell you.

I've been hearing a lot of criticism of bitcoin lately from the potential for altcoins to erode the trust in the concept of digital scarcity. Most notably the interview with adam back on lets talk bitcoin. By building decentralized exchange into the bottom protocol layer I think nxt can potentially restore this trust. Think about it, no other copy of nxt will ever have markets with as much market depth as nxt. Meaning their copy nxt will never has as much utility. Thus a copy of nxt is not "just as good as nxt". Since no copy of nxt will ever be "just as good as nxt" nxt can be thought of as scarce in a way that bitcoin can not.

Yeah, I like he idea, but the more we build on top layer, the less can be copied.  Take Nxt marketplace for example.  If users were able to access a specific decentralized Nxt Marketplace (like a torrent) and be able to view and contribute to the market within their client, we would add immense unique value to Nxt, because that couldn't be copied or accessed outside of the Nxt network.

I think the importance here lies on "cannot be accessed". That's usually a bad thing, don't you think so?
swartzfeger

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:43:49 PM

It's a salient point, and a core principle that virtually every scrypt coin is missing... they're becoming balkanized into these separate tribes as though they're pledging allegiance to their favorite football team.

I feel like a kid holding his bladder, *waiting* for Nexern's client release. This forum is gonna be turned on it's head.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:50:38 PM

It's a salient point, and a core principle that virtually every scrypt coin is missing... they're becoming balkanized into these separate tribes as though they're pledging allegiance to their favorite football team.
I feel like a kid holding his bladder, *waiting* for Nexern's client release. This forum is gonna be turned on it's head.

Indeed, a Nxt decentralized exchange would make Nxt the King of all crypto-currencies. All copy-coins would give up instantly.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:51:22 PM

I think the importance here lies on "cannot be accessed". That's usually a bad thing, don't you think so?

Perhaps. But usually "can not be freely copied" is also a bad thing. Not so with crypto.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:59:45 PM

Indeed, a Nxt decentralized exchange would make Nxt the King of all crypto-currencies. All copy-coins would give up instantly.

Where are we rolling this out?
NxtChg

Activity: 840

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 11:01:34 PM

Doesn't Ripple already have one?

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:02:12 PM

Doesn't Ripple already have one?

Ripple is centralized. its really just a crypto bank.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:02:37 PM

Perhaps. But usually "can not be freely copied" is also a bad thing. Not so with crypto.

I see your point.

Unfortunately, I will still advocate for diversity, which in the end you cannot prevent from being happening. Diversity will lead to new ideas and new usages.

All we need is a protocol for e.g. trading assets or the like between different ecosystems. As you can trade $ and € at the same time although they belong the different economic systems, which have unique features.
NxtChg

Activity: 840

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 11:05:01 PM

Ripple is centralized.

No it's not. Their network is decentralized. Sure they have pre-mine, but so do we.

Because Ripple’s exchange is distributed as opposed to centralized, the whole concept of co-location becomes fundamentally different. There is simply no central location near which you would co-locate for a speed advantage. Ripple exists on servers around the world, and anyone can easily spin up their own copy of a Ripple server for free. (The code is open source.)

https://ripple.com/blog/ripples-distributed-exchange-and-the-high-frequency-trading-arms-race/

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:12:12 PM

I don't quite understand the strength of this argument. Can you flesh it out? Couldn't some other crypto also implement a decentralized exchange into its protocol and compete to gain market depth based on that + some extra advantage that they claim to have? Also, isn't the argument in favor of Bitcoin already that, due to its network effect, no other coin can compete with it in market depth? If Nxt can compete with Bitcoin's market depth, what's to stop another coin from competing with Nxt's?
xyzzyx

Activity: 490

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:16:15 PM

Excellent news! Solar Communications is happy to announce that we now accept Nxt Cryptocurrency as a hassle-free form of payment. As a descendant of Bitcoin, this new virtual currency offers its users many advantages. As we strive to make things more user-friendly for our clients, we are now accepting this new browser-based program as an alternative payment method. This 100% decentralized e-currency makes payment fast and secure from any location worldwide.

https://solarcom.ch/en/press/view/76

Anyone else notice this?  Don't know much about them, but great to see!

And there's this:

January 4, 2014  NextCoin (NXT) is now accepted 
Incloudibly are glad to announce that we accept NextCoin (NXT) as a payment method now. Please feel free to place orders and pay with NextCoin for all products and services that are provided by our company. NextCoin payments are processed automatically.
https://incloudibly.com/en/news/75

Jan 4th?  I missed this one when it happened.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:18:39 PM

Ripple is centralized.

No it's not. Their network is decentralized. Sure they have pre-mine, but so do we.

Because Ripple’s exchange is distributed as opposed to centralized, the whole concept of co-location becomes fundamentally different. There is simply no central location near which you would co-locate for a speed advantage. Ripple exists on servers around the world, and anyone can easily spin up their own copy of a Ripple server for free. (The code is open source.)

https://ripple.com/blog/ripples-distributed-exchange-and-the-high-frequency-trading-arms-race/

That's why I think decentralized marketplace in addition to decentralized exchange could be what launches Nxt above BTC.   If Nxt users are able to create a specific marketplace using an API, then send the link via AM for download, which would then be viewable in nexern client.  Users could then view/contribute to marketplace via a torrent style setup.  We would create a huge irreplaceable economy.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:23:27 PM

Ripple is centralized.

Maybe there are many nodes but their solution to the byzantine generals problem is the same one that has been used for thousands of years, central authority. If the ripple foundation was ever compromised than ripple would not be able to continue without them. That is precisely the problem that bitcoin solved and ripple unsolved.

bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:25:44 PM

Ripple is centralized.

Maybe there are many nodes but their solution to the byzantine generals problem is the same one that has been used for thousands of years, central authority. If the ripple foundation was ever compromised than ripple would not be able to continue without them. That is precisely the problem that bitcoin solved and ripple unsolved.

Please expand?

I'm not a Ripple expert, but I believe the keyword is "distributed". Big difference. If they could claim decentralized, they would. My understanding is that all transactions on the Ripple network depend on trust relationships between gateways, which act as the authority.

Here's an article I found helpful when trying to understand Ripple:
http://blog.coinsetter.com/2013/04/29/virtual-currency-trading-wars-bitcoin-versus-ripple-xrp/
xyzzyx

Activity: 490

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:32:40 PM

Nice!  We should collect the places that accept NXT as payment and list on the Wiki.

Good idea.  I also grabbed the domains shopwithnxt.com/org/net and buywithnxt.com/org/net a month ago.  So they're available for our use too.

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 11:35:56 PM

Ripple is centralized.

Ripples problem is that there are less than 50 active people in their community. The majority work at RL. NXT community at least 10 times bigger and the software releases just keep on coming out. New core releases, client releases, website releases, etc.

With ripple, everything goes through a centralized development process. I think they had one of the first colored coin implementations, but all the delays and now with AE coming out, emunie, etc. Ripple will have a difficult time keeping up.

That being said, Ripple is the only solution that is friendly with governments and like Coinbase it should escape the fiat governments war on bitcoin (crypto). I see ripple's place in the larger crypto universe as the fiat gateway for all the other crypto. That alone will ensure its survival, but it is a niche function. Important, but niche. Oh, they have another 48 billion XRP left to release and this will take literally years. Until then true value of XRP will be unknown.

It is kind of convenient to be able to pull out USD with whatever crypto I want to liquidate.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
Pages: « 1 ... 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: