Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:50:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: mtgox.com has blocked my account with 45 000 USD in it!  (Read 111616 times)
Anonymous

March 02, 2011, 09:57:37 AM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 10:55:06 AM

The more is added, the less sense it makes!

Accusation:

«Hey! He hacked the user's account, hacked several other accounts, even hacked mtgox's own account»

OK, fair enough, now... a guy that hacks the whole site must be somehow smart, no? This is HACKING not a common street robber with a stick in the hand.
Now... what sort of hacker after found more bugs and exploits that he can count in a site goes to trust 45K USD on such site?!  Huh

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2011, 11:37:54 AM

ShadowOfHarbringer: What more do you want me to say then this:
Here is a more complete rundown of what happened with the baron account.
Person A had their account compromised by Person B.
Day1: Person B sent ~3000BTC (the mtgox $1000 a day limit at the time) to an address owned by baron.
Day2:  Person B sent ~3000BTC (the mtgox $1000 a day limit at the time) to an address owned by baron.
Day3:  Person B sent ~3000BTC (the mtgox $1000 a day limit at the time) to an address owned by baron.
Day4: Person A logs into their account and notices the missing BTC. They change their password and contact me about the theft.
DayX: Person B finds an exploit in my LR code and manages to send himself a good deal of LR from the site.
DayY: Person B steals money from 2 other mtgox accounts after compromising them with a dictionary attack. This is discussed elsewhere.

I have talked to Person A on the phone extensively both before and after the theft.  He had much more in his account than what was stolen.

baron claims that he bought the BTC in question from someone on IRC with Liberty Reserve (LR). He hasn’t been able to provide any evidence of this transfer. I see nothing even close in the IRC logs of bitcoin-otc about this transfer.
To believe baron’s story we have to believe:
1) A thief would trust a random person on IRC they have never met before and no one else on the channel knows to send them $3000.
2) The thief would transfer directly from mtgox to the buyer before knowing how much BTC they would end up stealing from mtgox.
3) baron can’t remember his nick, the thief’s nick, or the IRC channel that was used for the trade.
4) baron can no longer find the record of the LR transaction.
5) baron is unable to talk to me on the phone because according to him he is mute.

baron also refuses to provide proof of who he is or where he lives.

We are left having to assume that baron is in fact person B. baron’s account on mtgox holds less than the sum of theft by person B.

As I have said previously we don’t want to be the bitcoin police and this will hopefully not be necessary in the future since we have fixed these security issues that allowed Person B to steal from us and other users in the first place.

You want me to just keep posting that over and over? There wont be anything new to say until baron gives me more info.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 11:50:13 AM

he exploited security problems in the mtgox site and deserves his entire funds to be taken.
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 11:57:31 AM

he exploited security problems in the mtgox site and deserves his entire funds to be taken.

Sure... 2 dollar question on that thought; What sort of exploiter goes to deposit funds in a site he just exploited? If he exploited it, then probably others can exploit it too, therefore such site isn't to be trusted. Isn't it?
You may say; oh but he might used it to withdraw his funds. Fair enough, mtgox has 1K/day limit he didn't manage to exploit, but still he would be taken 1K/day and this guy didn't. All adds up to lack sense!

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:08:27 PM

ITYM "legal tender", which means you are required by law to accept it.

Just a small correction. Legal tender laws in the United States state that by law, federal reserve notes are valid payment for all preexisting debt. In the case of purchasing an item at a store, there is no such preexisting debt, and they can refuse your federal reserve notes and demand payment in Bitcoin. A restaurant where you eat before you pay, on the other hand, is required to accept federal reserve notes in payment, or allow you to leave without paying, because having already eaten the meal, you are in debt.

source: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

That is really interesting!   I never realized the "debt" requirement part...  Thanks for that.
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2011, 12:11:02 PM

BCEmporium: He was withdrawing $1000 a day since he first deposited.

Peterv

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:15:16 PM

To summarize the evidence thus far:

1. 9000 BTC was somehow transferred to Baron. I believe that Baron said it was proof.

2. Baron entered and I verified a transaction on 01/07/11. All that proves is that Baron knows that particular transaction.
It will help you kiba
https://www.libertyreserve.com/en/services/info
Fill the form with Baron's account U1172929 and turing number.

I'm not a mtgox.com user. I'm not a boiling frog.
Paypal blocked his account, shadow business practices, fees, limits, hacking, user account locking, etc.

What's next?

Time to the Bitcoin community to code a decentralized exchanger service.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:31:50 PM

ShadowOfHarbringer: What more do you want me to say then this:

Here is a more complete rundown of what happened with the baron account.
(...)
You want me to just keep posting that over and over?

Yes, that is exactly what i wanted you to do.
Because you see, if you haven't responded for 4 days, that looked as if you didn't care.

You did the same in the "rounding bugs" thread, and i certainly didn't like it.

Hint: If you don't have time to do it yourself, hire a "PR person" a "people person" or something, i don't know.
Just talk to us.

There wont be anything new to say until baron gives me more info.

At last some progress. OK, so you confirm that Baron haven't contacted you.
So why don't you guys talk publicly in a separate thread so everybody can see ?
This could fix the spoiled blood.

I don't know if it is possible to make a thread "private", so only Baron & mtgox can write in it, and the rest of people can only watch ?.

BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:36:31 PM

BCEmporium: He was withdrawing $1000 a day since he first deposited.

So then you're right, I'm sorry for being harsh early, pal.
That's what you should had state in the first place, however. It's a very relevant information.
Something like:

«This guy wasn't trading, but withdrawing everyday 1K or BTC equivalent out of a heist»

|

|
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:39:48 PM

@MtGox

How do you know the Person B you talk about is always the same one? IP address?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:40:24 PM

Paypal blocked his account,

Any evidence for that ?

Peterv

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:49:05 PM

Paypal blocked his account,

Any evidence for that ?

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1419.0
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 12:59:46 PM

Paypal blocked his account, shadow business practices, fees, limits, hacking, user account locking, etc.

What's next?

What does his paypal being blocked have to do with anything? It was blocked because users scammed Mt. Gox, not the other way around. And how dare he set fees and limits for his services! I want everything free and at everyone else's expense too! Roll Eyes

P2P exchanges for other currencies are already happening. How would you create a "decentralized exchanger service" that's different? The money has to come from somewhere, meaning people in "meat space", as nanaimogold would put it, have to associate themselves with that money and those transactions. It is probably in Mt. Gox's best interest to adhere to precautions in order to try to stay within law and keep the law off his back.

If you don't want to obey some rules and regulations, you might as well keep your bitcoins and never exchange them, because once you exchange it into cold hard cash, you'll be met with regulation, from Mt. Gox or otherwise.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:00:29 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2011, 01:21:09 PM by ShadowOfHarbringer

Baron, at the least, tell us your nationality.
I don't going to reval any other info that is not conected to case.

Ok, either you upload all your credentials in a HQ scan right now, or I'm officially adding you to my scammer list.
I don't know - passport scan, ID scan, full credentials, anything. (Some unimportant details on the scan can be blurred).

You want me to just keep posting that over and over? There wont be anything new to say until baron gives me more info.

One more thing:

You know what is your problem, mtgox ? You behave exactly as a "long-term scam" exchange owner would behave on this forum.
You don't talk, you don't give out any details, yet you want us to simply trust you.

Not to say about shady site without terms of service, no security faq, nothing.
You want us to trust you more than Baron ? You start giving much more details than he does.

However, I am almost convinced that Baron is indeed a scammer.

Peterv

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:13:21 PM

What's next?

What does his paypal being blocked have to do with anything? It was blocked because users scammed Mt. Gox, not the other way around. And how dare he set fees and limits for his services! I want everything free and at everyone else's expense too! Roll Eyes

P2P exchanges for other currencies are already happening. How would you create a "decentralized exchanger service" that's different? The money has to come from somewhere, meaning people in "meat space", as nanaimogold would put it, have to associate themselves with that money and those transactions. It is probably in Mt. Gox's best interest to adhere to precautions in order to try to stay within law and keep the law off his back.

If you don't want to obey some rules and regulations, you might as well keep your bitcoins and never exchange them, because once you exchange it into cold hard cash, you'll be met with regulation, from Mt. Gox or otherwise.
Yep you are like many others boiling frogs, sorry. Like many others, you can't see the danger until it hit you.

A decentralized exchange could be like the bitcoin concept. No one to hold your funds. No one to freeze your account. No one to prevent you to trade. No one to rule on your money. It is all about the bitcoin way, no?
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:20:57 PM

However, I am almost convinced that Baron is indeed a scammer.

Playing a bit of judge here and speaking for myself, I would say both stories have holes with the "tendency to believe" in mtgox's part.
Nevertheless this is an expensive lesson to mtgox - if nor in money, is a blow on his reputation, rounds the same on this community -, he've to secure his site better.

A piece of invisible code like this:
Add to main files right after session_start() except the path that leads to login:
Code:
if(isset($_SESSION['canLogin'])) $_SESSION['canLogin'] = 0;

Add to login file:
Code:
$_SESSION['canLogin'] = 1;

Add to login function:
Code:
if(!isset($_SESSION['canLogin']) || $_SESSION['canLogin'] != 1) die("Invalid login attempt!");

This is a very basic security for "widely available brute forcers", they don't process whole headers, so they create a new session on each attempt. Not having a session var that just exists near the login form would prevent the attacker from use them.

You can add more features like count per IP attempts and block access from that IP for several hours. Add a captcha...
They're many ways to circumvent dictionary attacks.

|

|
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:23:44 PM

A decentralized exchange could be like the bitcoin concept. No one to hold your funds. No one to freeze your account. No one to prevent you to trade. No one to rule on your money. It is all about the bitcoin way, no?

Also nothing to protect against scams. One of the better things about using Mt Gox is that as long as you can trust the service itself, the trades are safe. Either you engage in direct trade with others, who may or may not hold up their end of the bargain, or you use some third party to mediate, reducing or even completely removing the need to trust the trade partner, but introducing the need to trust the third party. If I understand your idea correctly, it would be some kind of decentralized system that performs the function of a trusted third party without anyone actually having to trust a third party. I don't see how that can be done.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:33:18 PM

Yep you are like many others boiling frogs, sorry. Like many others, you can't see the danger until it hit you.
Of course, because anyone who disagrees with your sentiments must be a lost cause.

Again, how would you do something like this with real cash, that is any different than a peer to peer exhcange? No one to hold your funds? Are my dollar bills going to transfer themselves? Fly in the air to the recipient? Oooh magic! Now I'm interested.

You don't trust Mt. Gox, that's fine. I don't really care, because you're not forced to use him and it doesn't effect me anyways. Bitcoins decentralized nature is what makes it great, but cash isn't decentralized. So if you want to exchange your bitcoins for cash, get used to the fact that there will be rules. How lenient or not those rules are depends on who the trade is with and where they live. You expect everything done your way, but the world's economy, laws and regulations aren't setup for that Wink

ronaldmaustin

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2011, 01:42:28 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2011, 01:57:50 PM by ronaldmaustin

This situation concerns me on a number of levels.  So I read the first 13 pages of this thread and found only minimal words from mtgox.  Then I skipped to the last page and I STILL cannot determine what has happened here.  The first post in this thread should be updated with an explanation of what is going on right now.  Has MtGox explained what is happening here yet?  I would think, once the OP has waived his privacy in the matter and posted about it here, MtGox is free to, and should, post an immediate response with his allegations.  One cannot simply hold $45,000 of someone's money on suspicion.  What if B of A started freezing accounts on mere suspicion?  There would be a run on the bank, for one thing.  If that happens here it could have very adverse affects for Bitcoins in general, so it should be of concern to all.  Does mtgox have any serious competition or is it pretty much the only volume trading site around?  The OP may indeed be a scammer, but I don't think mere suspicion is enough to hold funds for more than a day or so to sort things out.  What is the upshot of this.  I cannot read 33 pages to decide whether to continue using mtgox.  

[EDIT] Most of this debate here focuses on whether Mtgox is right or wrong to hold money, or has the duty to, if there is evidence of a crime.  That should not be the point.  The point is that Mtgox customers are owed an explanation of what is happening before they can be expected to side with Mtgox and trust their money is safe.  If Mtgox cannot provide a complete explanation at this time for some reason, i.e. official police investigation or specifically what it needs that has not been provided, it needs to at least state what that reason is.  This may or may not be sufficient.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: