Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:05:20 PM

Several miles from Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon, Arizona, April 2013 – Down here, at the bottom of the continent’s most spectacular canyon, the Colorado River growls past our sandy beach in a wet monotone. Our group of 24 is one week into a 225-mile, 18-day voyage on inflatable rafts from Lees Ferry to Diamond Creek. We settle in for the night. Above us, the canyon walls part like a pair of maloccluded jaws, and moonlight streams between them, bright enough to read by.

One remarkable feature of the modern Colorado, the great whitewater rollercoaster that carved the Grand Canyon, is that it is a tidal river. Before heading for our sleeping bags, we need to retie our six boats to allow for the ebb.

These days, the tides of the Colorado are not lunar but Phoenician. Yes, I’m talking about Phoenix, Arizona. On this April night, when the air conditioners in America’s least sustainable city merely hum, Glen Canyon Dam, immediately upstream from the canyon, will run about 6,500 cubic feet of water through its turbines every second.

Tomorrow, as the sun begins its daily broiling of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, and the rest of central Arizona, the engineers at Glen Canyon will crank the dam’s maw wider until it sucks down 11,000 cubic feet per second (cfs). That boost in flow will enable its hydroelectric generators to deliver “peaking power” to several million air conditioners and cooling plants in Phoenix’s Valley of the Sun. And the flow of the river will therefore nearly double.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/30/say_goodbye_to_phoenix_and_the_american_west_partner/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 08:25:21 PM

Over the past decade, Americans have clustered into three broad groups on global warming. The largest, currently describing 39% of U.S. adults, are what can be termed “Concerned Believers” — those who attribute global warming to human actions and are worried about it. This is followed by the “Mixed Middle,” at 36%. And one in four Americans — the “Cool Skeptics” — are not worried about global warming much or at all.

The rate of Concerned Believers has varied some over the past decade and half, but is currently identical to the earliest estimate, from 2001. Over the same period of time, the ranks of Cool Skeptics have swelled, while the Mixed Middle — once the largest group — has declined modestly.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/168620/one-four-solidly-skeptical-global-warming.aspx

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:56:50 AM

http://mashable.com/2014/04/22/al-gore-captain-planet/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Err... Happy Earth Day Everyone?  Grin

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:03:49 AM

You can see some photos of the mall where I was today.

Young employees of the DENR (Dept of Environment and Natural Resources) were handing out brochures with "Global Warming" in scary red blood dripping vampire-like font.

The global conspiracy is paying the people to spread this nonsense as gospel.

I tried to explain to these youthful employees that this is all lies and it is part of a global plan to indoctrinate the people how to be good slaves and submit to various taxes and multi-national corporate control.

We are moving into the end game of Fascism and headed into Mad Max totalitarianism.

By the time you boiling frogs realize it, it will be too late for you already.

Click my name and then click "read latest posts" to dig into the supporting evidence I have posted over the past few weeks.

For those who want to opt-out of this coming hell, you had better figure out which train to board...

...and stop wasting your time reading all of this bla bla bla, which can't help you.

So basically The DNR is the new Jehova's witness Smiley
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:09:14 AM

You can see some photos of the mall where I was today.

Young employees of the DENR (Dept of Environment and Natural Resources) were handing out brochures with "Global Warming" in scary red blood dripping vampire-like font.

The global conspiracy is paying the people to spread this nonsense as gospel.

I tried to explain to these youthful employees that this is all lies and it is part of a global plan to indoctrinate the people how to be good slaves and submit to various taxes and multi-national corporate control.

We are moving into the end game of Fascism and headed into Mad Max totalitarianism.

Click my name and then click "read latest posts" to dig into the supporting evidence I have posted over the past few weeks.

For those who want to opt-out of this coming hell, you had better figure out which train to board...

...and stop wasting your time reading all of this bla bla bla, which can't help you.

So basically The DNR is the new Jehova's witness Smiley

Here is the way it works. 

You get a little serving of tornado and hurricane myths.  You probably already knew more than what they dished out.

And you get a big serving of man is the cause of this, and man is evil, and vote for OUR GUY, because he's not evil he's positively saint like, and if we work together we can save the world, you and I, but there's a limited time to ACT, and we have to ACT NOW.  Take urgent action now, brother, and we'll walk with you.  The way will be hard, but the righteous are the true friends of Gaia, and even when the hurricane whips through your tiny island and your friends and family lash themselves to the tops of palm trees, when you see their trees fall one by one to the storm and the rising waters, your tree shall remain strong, and you will live and prosper.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:15:11 AM

And you and Wilikon are great at writing endlessly and what exactly are you doing to effect any sort of improvement?

Do you think your endless noise here is going to make any difference?

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:10:48 AM

And you and Wilikon are great at writing endlessly and what exactly are you doing to effect any sort of improvement?

Do you think your endless noise here is going to make any difference?

No.
This is simply a place of record for the few who would know about it. I make sure to post the stuff I really do not like most FIRST as they have a tendency to disappear when those with the "golden brains" end up looking foolish after a while.

Yes most. If you think about it, most of my posts and links are PRO Climate Change Believers, not the other way around. You know I am making fun of them because of the name of that thread and my obvious bias when I comment.

But one thing is for sure: if there is an endless noise, it is only in your head, thanks to the people who believe it was there rights to shut the non believers on Reddit. If you get sick by reading my links (not all of course), you should complain to the authors of those articles directly, asking them for a Tylenol or an Ibuprofen, or whatever medication they believe would have less impact on El Niño.

The obvious solution would be to never click on that thread again. Ever. But it is hard as it is very entertaining If I may say so myself Smiley

AnonyMint

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:34:12 AM

But any really strong points that were made have been buried in endless jokes back and forth.

I am all for a good laugh, but this is a very serious matter imo.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:10:13 PM

But any really strong points that were made have been buried in endless jokes back and forth.

Actually, I will argue these matters at the theoretical level and am decently conversant in them.  

That's occurred a dozen or so times in this discussion.  But there are deep strata of myth, faith and neo-religious thought running through the entire circus, as well as the New Age Science.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:10:51 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 06:19:27 PM by Wilikon

When you see a picture of a cow with a purple bag on its back, with its own fart inside what was your first reaction? Would think "This is a very serious matter, this is not a joke" or would you spit your morning coffee on your laptop screen and say "WTF!!!???! HAhaha!!" ?

I cannot fake being a real scientist. I only post stuff. Others, like Spendulus know their stuff and go into details about why it was unscientific to ban people who are not getting to the same conclusion, results, and even debunking why that poor cow with its fartbag on its back wasn't necessary as it was a lie.

Boring threads are not useful. No one would care. There is a logic behind that "not a joke very serious matter, do not laugh about that, ever" back and forth. Everyone is welcome to participate, as long as they are not asking others to change their behavior, not being what they are.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 06:20:50 PM

Is it ironic or predictable that Harvard’s President, Drew Faust, would enter into a Faustian bargain over climate change and the University’s investments in carbon-intensive companies?

Let’s suppose that, by pure chance, it turns out that there is a 90% probability that the climate denier campaign paid for or organized by those companies is correct – that human caused climate disruption is not occurring (or if it is it is inconsequential). History shows that the consensus of several thousand honest scientists working in any area can be dead wrong (near universal opposition to Wegener’s idea of continental drift was an example in my lifetime).

Suppose there were only a 10% probability that business as usual would bring about global climate disruption sufficient to cause the deaths of billions and misery for survivors. What, if anything, should or would society do about it?

Looking at how other risks are handled can give us a clue. Your odds of having a house fire are way under 1%, and those of having your house burn down entirely are less than one in a hundred thousand. Yet most people choose to have fire insurance. The lifetime odds of dying in an airplane accident are about one in five thousand, yet many people are afraid of flying and/or take out trip life insurance.

http://mahb.stanford.edu/blog/chances-of-climate-catastrophe/
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:33:52 PM

Well, I'd have to disagree with the end Apocalypse you envision, as well as that the Warmies fantasize about.

The reasons for optimism or pessimism or both, about the human condition and it's future is certainly a worthy subject, and no more would we all agree today, than would people have agreed at any time in the past on such a subject.

But my reasons for disagreement fall more into the technical, than the philosophical.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:39:34 PM

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/04/preferred-method-of-conveying-climate-risk-doesnt-work/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real numbers! Imagine that! Can't wait Smiley
AnonyMint

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 09:03:35 PM

Well, I'd have to disagree with the end Apocalypse you envision, as well as that the Warmies fantasize about.

The reasons for optimism or pessimism or both, about the human condition and it's future is certainly a worthy subject, and no more would we all agree today, than would people have agreed at any time in the past on such a subject.

But my reasons for disagreement fall more into the technical, than the philosophical.

I am not arguing for an end. I am merely pointing out that death of half of the world's population due to collectivism (and its repeating end game of totalitarianism and world war), is a repeating event throughout human history.

And yet you seem to think it never happens?  Huh

RoyalSands

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 10:49:07 AM

The only thing I know for sure is that it will get hotter or colder or stay the same.  The last one would be least likely IMO.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 04:47:01 PM

The only thing I know for sure is that it will get hotter or colder or stay the same.  The last one would be least likely IMO.

Post #704. Check out Al Gore's first brilliant quote  Smiley
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:04:06 AM

I am not arguing for an end. I am merely pointing out that death of half of the world's population due to collectivism (and its repeating end game of totalitarianism and world war), is a repeating event throughout human history.

And yet you seem to think it never happens?  Huh
Ah, then I catch your drift.  True, eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, does not matter what society or time or version of collectivism.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:00:16 PM

http://www.freep.com/article/20140423/FEATURES07/304230141/Mackinac-Island-ice-snow-travel-resort
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:18:49 PM

Interestingly....it's not just climate that Reddit is banning.

Anything that mentions NSA, SNOWDEN, or BITCOIN!!!!

http://yourfreebitcoin.blogspot.com/2014/04/reddit-rtechnology-in-nsa-bitcoin-and.html
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:20:25 PM

Interestingly....it's not just climate that Reddit is banning.

Anything that mentions NSA, SNOWDEN, or BITCOIN!!!!

http://yourfreebitcoin.blogspot.com/2014/04/reddit-rtechnology-in-nsa-bitcoin-and.html

Yep. that is why I added this guy as a link near my name.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: