Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:13:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2015, 03:56:37 PM

There's no safer way than to go through a forum member?

You can use someone listed here: https://www.bitrated.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pankogulo

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Counterparty General Manager

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 07:54:43 PM

They Should put up a big warning sign! Do not use Armory or Electrum wallet addresses when creating a multi signature address in your counterwallet! Not compatible! Unless you want your assets so secure not even you will be able to get them out!

Issue was reported here https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/issues/733

sdersdf3

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:51:23 AM

Could anyone explain what Counterparty's purpose/future are given Symbiont? What is it planning to do/be that Symbiont isn't planning to do/be?

Symbiont is using the Counterparty protocol to execute its model of "building the first issuance and trading platform for smart securities on blockchain technology." Symbiont will be one of what will eventually be many front ends to Counterparty's back end.

So there's no overlap between what Symbiont is/plans-to-be and what Counterparty is/plans-to-be?

No, beyond the fact that Symbiont is essentially financially backing future Counterparty open source development, by employing most of the core team and enabling them to spend some of their time working on the extant Counterparty codebase. Symbiont is a business with a commercial business model, Counterparty is an open source technology project with no commercial business model. (And yes, the foundation does take donations, but I don't consider that a business model Smiley .)

Appreciate the responses - is there anyone, any moderator, from Counterparty here that could speak to this and confirm the relationship (lack of overlap) between Counterparty and Symbiont?

So, when Symbiont is up and running as a decentralised exchange - it'll be powered by the XCP network? In other words, all Symbiont transactions will run through XCP?

I don't get how that would happen - I understand the transaction-speed/bandwidth(?) of the bitcoin network is too slow to accommodate the demands of the financial markets. Am I something here?

Yes, it will be powered by Counterparty/XCP.

Apparently the founders of Counterparty/Symbiont disagree with your assessment of transaction speed being too slow. Perhaps it's because a clearing house will be built into Symbiont that will allow faster settlement, or something (maybe the Ripple link helps answer your question?). Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for you.

The Bitcoin network will not have to instantly have the bandwidth to accommodate the entire financial markets right away. It will be a process and its performance can be improved with time. At least that's my understanding of it.

Really appreciate the responses - is there anyone from counterparty, a moderator perhaps, that could speak to this and confirm that there's no overlap between Symbiont and Counterparty functions and that Symbiont processes will run entirely (be powered by) Counterparty's system?
sdersdf3

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 02:01:24 PM

Could anyone explain what Counterparty's purpose/future are given Symbiont? What is it planning to do/be that Symbiont isn't planning to do/be?

Symbiont is using the Counterparty protocol to execute its model of "building the first issuance and trading platform for smart securities on blockchain technology." Symbiont will be one of what will eventually be many front ends to Counterparty's back end.

So there's no overlap between what Symbiont is/plans-to-be and what Counterparty is/plans-to-be?

No, beyond the fact that Symbiont is essentially financially backing future Counterparty open source development, by employing most of the core team and enabling them to spend some of their time working on the extant Counterparty codebase. Symbiont is a business with a commercial business model, Counterparty is an open source technology project with no commercial business model. (And yes, the foundation does take donations, but I don't consider that a business model Smiley .)

Appreciate the responses - is there anyone, any moderator, from Counterparty here that could speak to this and confirm the relationship (lack of overlap) between Counterparty and Symbiont?

So, when Symbiont is up and running as a decentralised exchange - it'll be powered by the XCP network? In other words, all Symbiont transactions will run through XCP?

I don't get how that would happen - I understand the transaction-speed/bandwidth(?) of the bitcoin network is too slow to accommodate the demands of the financial markets. Am I something here?

Apparently the founders of Counterparty/Symbiont disagree with your assessment of transaction speed being too slow. Perhaps it's because a clearing house will be built into Symbiont that will allow faster settlement, or something (maybe the Ripple link helps answer your question?). Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer for you.

The Bitcoin network will not have to instantly have the bandwidth to accommodate the entire financial markets right away. It will be a process and its performance can be improved with time. At least that's my understanding of it.

Really appreciate the responses - is there anyone from counterparty, a moderator perhaps, that could speak to this and confirm that there's no overlap between Symbiont and Counterparty functions and that Symbiont processes will run entirely (be powered by) Counterparty's system?

Counterparty and Symbiont co-founder here. Unlike Counterparty, Symbiont is a private business. We cannot discuss our business plans publicly at this point, but as Robby (aka xnova) pointed out: Symbiont is personally funding Counterparty's development, having hired several of Counterparty's full-time developers.

Thanks for understanding.

Appreciate the response, but this could mean that it's entirely possible that Symbiont will overlap/displace part or all of Counterparty's functions - or not - and that any dev funding may be simply for use of Counterparty as an unffocial R&D testbed, or not. No one essentially knows or those who do know unwilling to say?
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2015, 04:23:28 PM

Counterparty and Symbiont co-founder here. Unlike Counterparty, Symbiont is a private business. We cannot discuss our business plans publicly at this point, but as Robby (aka xnova) pointed out: Symbiont is personally funding Counterparty's development, having hired several of Counterparty's full-time developers.

Appreciate the response, but this could mean that it's entirely possible that Symbiont will overlap/displace part or all of Counterparty's functions - or not - and that any dev funding may be simply for use of Counterparty as an unffocial R&D testbed, or not. No one essentially knows or those who do know unwilling to say?

You've already gotten that answer you're looking for from two Counterparty founders. They will not overlap. One is a business, one does not have a profit model. There is no reason to assume that Symbiont will copy Counterparty and do everything themselves on that side of things when it's already free to use Counterparty. What would the point be? What would happen to Symbiont's dev team and trust in the community if Symbiont did something like that, assuming it's even possible? They would be gone, that's what. Any everyone that's part of the Symbiont team has built incredible trust either in or out of the crypto community and in some cases, both.

sdersdf3

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:37:14 AM

You've already gotten that answer you're looking for from two Counterparty founders. They will not overlap. One is a business, one does not have a profit model. There is no reason to assume that Symbiont will copy Counterparty and do everything themselves on that side of things when it's already free to use Counterparty. What would the point be? What would happen to Symbiont's dev team and trust in the community if Symbiont did something like that, assuming it's even possible? They would be gone, that's what. Any everyone that's part of the Symbiont team has built incredible trust either in or out of the crypto community and in some cases, both.

Not to belabor the point, but I wasn't talking about the business model - I was talking about functionality. Basically, whether Counterparty's exchange functionality is going to remain relevant and be integrated into what Symbiont is doing -- will Symbiont be powered by Counterparty's exchange functionality -- or is there going to be complete or partial overlap between Counterparty's exchange funcitonality and whatever functionality Symbiont is putting together.

The obvious concern for any XCP holder is whether Counterparty is on its way to being made irrelevant by whatever Symbiont is doing. Basically, is Symbiont going to be of long-term benefit to Counterparty beyond some payments to XCP developers?

I assume that question/uncertainty is one of the factors (certainly not the only factor) that's been dragging down the XCP price and has kept it from recovering.

I don't think I've yet gotten a straight answer to a highly relevant question for XCP holders, but if I'm missing something here feel free to point it out.
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 11:41:34 AM

Not to belabor the point, but I wasn't talking about the business model - I was talking about functionality. Basically, whether Counterparty's exchange functionality is going to remain relevant and be integrated into what Symbiont is doing -- will Symbiont be powered by Counterparty's exchange functionality -- or is there going to be complete or partial overlap between Counterparty's exchange funcitonality and whatever functionality Symbiont is putting together.

The obvious concern for any XCP holder is whether Counterparty is on its way to being made irrelevant by whatever Symbiont is doing. Basically, is Symbiont going to be of long-term benefit to Counterparty beyond some payments to XCP developers?

I assume that question/uncertainty is one of the factors (certainly not the only factor) that's been dragging down the XCP price and has kept it from recovering.

I don't think I've yet gotten a straight answer to a highly relevant question for XCP holders, but if I'm missing something here feel free to point it out.

From what I understand, there WILL NOT be a technology overlap because Symbiont will be powered by Counterparty. I repeat, Symbiont will running on Counterparty.

Symbiont is a business entity that will be profit driven and as such the only area where there might be overlaps are areas where services which the underlying technology is powered by counterparty are offered.  For instances its possible (this is a just a random example) if Symbiont started offering a crowdfunding service they would be in direct competition with the likes of say "Koinify", swarm, etc

On the other hand, this does not really give them a business advantage because Counterparty is a free open source platform and anyone is free to develop any services on the platform. The only limitation being your imagination, expertise and effort.

However, if the purpose of your question was to derive a reason/cause for the price decline then your guess is as good as mine :-)

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
sdersdf3

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 03:05:38 PM

From what I understand, there WILL NOT be a technology overlap because Symbiont will be powered by Counterparty. I repeat, Symbiont will running on Counterparty.

Symbiont is a business entity that will be profit driven and as such the only area where there might be overlaps are areas where services which the underlying technology is powered by counterparty are offered.  For instances its possible (this is a just a random example) if Symbiont started offering a crowdfunding service they would be in direct competition with the likes of say "Koinify", swarm, etc

On the other hand, this does not really give them a business advantage because Counterparty is a free open source platform and anyone is free to develop any services on the platform. The only limitation being your imagination, expertise and effort.

However, if the purpose of your question was to derive a reason/cause for the price decline then your guess is as good as mine :-)

Cheers

Now this was the straight answer I was looking for. Only remaining question is, are you one of the core devs?
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 04:40:04 PM by Matt Y

Anything that you do on Symbiont you will need to trust Symbiont, a business, for. Counterparty is a trustless, open source protocol. It's kinda like asking if Coinbase duplicates Bitcoin's functionality and takes away the need for Bitcoin as a protocol.

He is the founder of Blockscan: http://blockscan.com/

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:25:36 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 03:48:42 AM by mtbitcoin

Chee

Now this was the straight answer I was looking for. Only remaining question is, are you one of the core devs?

No, like you I am part of the CP community (albeit an early one) and at certain of points at time I shared your same concerns. This is merely an informed opinion from the publicly available information, postings, blogs and following of the overall project direction since the beginning

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 11:08:02 AM

Does Symbiont or the Counterparty Foundation hold any XCP?
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:56:32 AM

You for real?  Grin

Cornett

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

★ IT's Party Time! ★

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 08:46:50 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2015, 09:18:29 AM by Cornett

WTF.  Of course No  Grin

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████
██▄▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░████████
██████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄▀▀███
██████████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████████▄▄
██████████████▄▄▀▀██████████████▀▀
░░▀▀████████████░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
░░░░░░▀▀████████░░░░░░░░▀▀
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██
OATH

████▀
███▀  ▀
██▀  ▀
█▀  ▀
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
█▄  ▄
██▄  ▄
███▄  ▄
████▄

▀████
▀  ▀███
▀  ▀██
▀  ▀█
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
▄  ▄█
▄  ▄██
▄  ▄███
▄████

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 09:45:49 AM

You for real?  Grin

Dont be too harsh. Maybe he had experience with that questionable farce, we call MSC.  Grin
xyzzyx

Activity: 490

I don't really come from outer space.

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 02:25:17 PM

FYI, Bittrex is contemplating delisting XCP:

"This market is in danger of de-listing due to low trade volume and lack of user interest. It may be removed on May 15th unless the average daily trade volume for the last 7 days exceeds 0.2 BTC."

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-XCP

"An awful lot of code is being written ... in languages that aren't very good by people who don't know what they're doing." -- Barbara Liskov
gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 08:57:06 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2015, 10:20:07 AM by gumcruise

FYI, Bittrex is contemplating delisting XCP:

"This market is in danger of de-listing due to low trade volume and lack of user interest. It may be removed on May 15th unless the average daily trade volume for the last 7 days exceeds 0.2 BTC."

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-XCP

Good. Bittrex is a manipulative exchange and I wouldn't trust them with peanuts. At least it will reduce risk exposure.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

Is there any way to know if this is insider selling?
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 01:35:04 PM

How big of a concern is it that Bitcoin could build Counterparty-esque functionality directly into their protocol?
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:10:57 PM

Does anybody know whether NASDAQ adopting blockchain technology would affect Symbiont?

(https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/nasdaq-details-upcoming-use-bitcoins-block-chain-tech/)

For example, could it blaze a regulatory trail which would help? Or could it steal their thunder and make it hard for small start-ups to offer something unique enough to muscle in on the big boys' territory?
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 02:46:16 PM

Does anybody know whether NASDAQ adopting blockchain technology would affect Symbiont?

(https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/nasdaq-details-upcoming-use-bitcoins-block-chain-tech/)

For example, could it blaze a regulatory trail which would help? Or could it steal their thunder and make it hard for small start-ups to offer something unique enough to muscle in on the big boys' territory?

Small start-up? Did you look at the people involved in Symbiont?  Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 [565] 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: