Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:58:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 [384] 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276347 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 07:56:26 AM

Can somebody explain how betting works or point me out where to read. Let's say I would like to bet on the increase of BTC/USD price using porquepine feed, so I create a bet saying btc price will be higher than X at the end of block N and the valid bet transactions have to be submitted before block M. The winner side takes all from the losing side, each participant will be paid out proportionally to his wager / all winner side wager. Is this how it works ?

it may not be at the end, the contract could get filled during the period leading to block N; different type of option style.  i, as you, am uncertain how the event trigger is coded to function.
porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:05:03 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 09:17:59 AM by porqupine

Can somebody explain how betting works or point me out where to read. Let's say I would like to bet on the increase of BTC/USD price using porquepine feed, so I create a bet saying btc price will be higher than X at the end of block N and the valid bet transactions have to be submitted before block M. The winner side takes all from the losing side, each participant will be paid out proportionally to his wager / all winner side wager. Is this how it works ?

The bets are directly matched with another participant.
When a bet is placed the protocol places the amount of the Wager in escrow and creates an 'open bet'.
Then if a bet is made taking the opposite side (Bear/Bull or Equal/Not Equal pair - with matching leverage and deadline), the protocol will see how much of the two positions can be matched and automatically proceed to match them.
When the Deadline is reached or if the funds of one side are exhausted entirely, the funds that were held in Escrow are credited to the Addresses involved in the bet in accordance with the price movement (for a CFD) - or as winner takes all (for Equal/Not Equal).

I'll write up a better description to put up on the site later today.

it may not be at the end, the contract could get filled during the period leading to block N; different type of option style.  i, as you, am uncertain how the event trigger is coded to function.

The current system calculates the change on every broadcast - but only settles the Bet if one of two conditions has occurred: The Deadline was reached (settled on deadline), or the escrowed funds of one side were exhausted entirely (Contract liquidated).
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:03:48 PM

This should definitely be refunded as it is a bug in the software, at least partially.

I received a nice PM from Counterwallet. They are very helpful and willing to refund the BTC. I'm really happy to find it didn't disappear into a black hole. The counterwallet looks like it will evolve into a great exchange platform. Other than the confirmation glitch, I was able to figure it out intuitively in about 15 minutes. It'll be fun exploring the asset types.

The money that you spent did disappear into a black hole (it was sent to random Bitcoin miners). We reimbursed you out of pocket.

Ouch, thanks! I knew the send fee goes to miners, about .00015 BTC total in Mastercoin with the three separate destinations. You're saying the 1% transaction fee on orders goes to BTC miners as well? This seems really high.

It's only when you buy something with BTC directly. The 1% fee is also only a temporary default.

OK. Too bad it doesn't go to the developers working on the project, though they explained the philosophy behind Counterparty at the Ethereum Meetup. The refund arrived, sorry it came out of your pockets.

Now its time to work on adding some more colors to my Counterwallet screen by adding some more assets.
kuanglinliang

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:30:28 PM

We should keep our community better and health! 
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:44:09 PM

I got a question that may have been explained prior.

How does counterparty prevent double spending of assets?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

Let's Talk Bitcoin Reddit thread. Robby's interview: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/25jx6i/lets_talk_bitcoin_the_ideal_counterparty/

nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:19:35 AM

good one, especially the part on proxy-tokens. the most interesting question is how do we reduce the issuer-risk to a minimum - if someone has an elegant solution for that, this can be a game changer in the whole cryptosphere.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 03:53:26 AM

Counterparty offers such a great incentive to Bitcoin by the use of its asset issuance, but I believe this technology is ahead of its time.

There is a huge benefit to Bitcoin because Counterparty allows companies to IPO at 0 cost. Basically, they can sell shares for Bitcoin, and get paid dividends in Bitcoin.

This creates a large demand in Bitcoin, but until the regulations are clear, no business will touch it because they don't want to get in trouble with the SEC.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:24:10 AM

Yes, xcp is way ahead of its time. Only a fraction of ppl know what bitcoin is, and only a fraction of bitcoiners are aware of xcp.

It reminds me of the pink sheet stocks boiler room in the wolf of wall street. I'm keen to see the day, someone set up physical offices helping local business raising fund using crypto and DEx as the ledger.
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 05:32:31 AM

Counterparty offers such a great incentive to Bitcoin by the use of its asset issuance, but I believe this technology is ahead of its time.

There is a huge benefit to Bitcoin because Counterparty allows companies to IPO at 0 cost. Basically, they can sell shares for Bitcoin, and get paid dividends in Bitcoin.

This creates a large demand in Bitcoin, but until the regulations are clear, no business will touch it because they don't want to get in trouble with the SEC.

That's not entirely true if I understand what the lawyers tell us correctly. Also, there is at least one US based company using Counterparty in the way you describe, legally.

I don't want to butcher anything so I'll refrain from offering what would probably be a helpful explanation, but we'll work on getting some guidance out, if that's possible.

xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:04:22 AM

Counterwallet seems to log out every time I minimize or hide the window. Is this normal? I have to have it up and covering the screen as long as a transaction is pending?

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, can you comment on it at https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/issues/148

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
wukelan

Activity: 65

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:25:50 AM

good idea  i am in.

GET 100K FREE NBC.7356330717717484990
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:48:54 AM

Counterwallet seems to log out every time I minimize or hide the window. Is this normal? I have to have it up and covering the screen as long as a transaction is pending?

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, can you comment on it at https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/issues/148

I gave it a try, both minimizing and hiding behind other windows. It seems to work fine now. I didn't try it with Bitcoin-QT running, will comment if problem returns later.

Thanks!
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:51:50 AM

What specifically would be legal issues for an IPO on Counterparty?
520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:29:25 PM

Everybody can get a 0.66% interest of XCP at bter platform: http://bter.com/myaccount/interest
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:58:31 PM

What specifically would be legal issues for an IPO on Counterparty?

It depends exactly what you are selling.

If you are selling something that is equivalent to an investment then there is indeed a lot of legal issues in the U.S.

I believe counterparty circumvented the issue by having the proceeds of the investment go to nowhere (i.e. burned).

Safecoin circumvents the issue by selling tokens that are equivalent to storage space.

Ripple circumvents the issue by selling tokens that are equivalent to toll passes.

Bitcoin circumvents the issue because there is no IPO,  you just have to mine shares on your own.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
frozen123

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:34:16 PM

Everybody can get a 0.66% interest of XCP at bter platform: http://bter.com/myaccount/interest

Rate Of Interest Per Annum. This feature also support other coins.

porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:19:09 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2014, 07:31:54 PM by porqupine

I couldn't find a website link, which I'm also rather sure there was. Anyways Counterparty assets just like Bitcoins do not exist as a 'thing', it is a ledger starting from the burn address (or issuer address) keeping track of what is where by embedding the information into Bitcoin transactions, which Counterparty nodes (by parsing the Bitcoin blockchain) interpret according to the protocol rules.
Accordingly as with Bitcoin transactions debits to an address for amounts&/assets it does not have will not be accepted by Counterparty Nodes, and the Counterparty protocol does not use unconfirmed transactions - therefore the possibility of a double spend on Counterparty is  the same as of a Bitcoin blockchain fork (the reason for using the Bitcoin blockchain - as opposed to side chains, or other coins etc.) One difference to note is in Bitcoin consensus is established by evaluating the transactions through a scripting language, where as Counterparty transactions are evaluated through an api.
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

I couldn't find a website link, which I'm also rather sure there was. Anyways Counterparty assets just like Bitcoins do not exist as a 'thing', it is a ledger starting from the burn address (or issuer address) keeping track of what is where by embedding the information into Bitcoin transactions, which Counterparty nodes (by parsing the Bitcoin blockchain) interpret according to the protocol rules.
Accordingly as with Bitcoin transactions debits to an address for amounts&/assets it does not have will not be accepted by Counterparty Nodes, and the Counterparty protocol does not use unconfirmed transactions - therefore the possibility of a double spend on Counterparty is  the same as of a Bitcoin blockchain fork (the reason for using the Bitcoin blockchain - as opposed to side chains, or other coins etc.) One difference to note is in Bitcoin consensus is established by evaluating the transactions through a scripting language, where as Counterparty transactions are evaluated through an api.

With Bitcoin miners validate the script to ensure validity prior to inclusion in the blockchain.

With CounterParty invalid data can get itself into the blockchain.  However, as I understand it correctly, invalid data cannot find itself into the working memory of the CounterParty nodes.  Therefore, even though they are rejected, they are essentially ignored?

What happens though if an address overspends in the same block?   How does CounterParty resolve which payment to make out of all the payments in the block? 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 07:58:48 PM

With Bitcoin miners validate the script to ensure validity prior to inclusion in the blockchain.

With CounterParty invalid data can get itself into the blockchain.  However, as I understand it correctly, invalid data cannot find itself into the working memory of the CounterParty nodes.  Therefore, even though they are rejected, they are essentially ignored?

What happens though if an address overspends in the same block?   How does CounterParty resolve which payment to make out of all the payments in the block? 

That's right. Overspends are just ignored. Counterparty also doesn't pay much attention at all to block boundaries: it parses every transaction in a block one-at-a-time, in the order in which the transactions are listed within the block.
Pages: « 1 ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 [384] 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: