Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:28:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907169 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

Quick TA update:
- 6H candle color/volume: BREAKING - huge green candle beats the previous reds AND action afterwards is very promising, conclusion: probability of recent reversal further increased
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $84, slippage to buy: $143, conclusion: potential for extreme volatility
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.341 log units. The trendline is at $1,015 and rising $7 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: short covering/panic buys are starting
- Prognosis: getting better; probability for going <400 gets smaller by the day, long-term buy zone

I just want to say thank you for these updates - I find them insightful and entertaining.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 12:38:33 PM

I just want to say thank you for these updates - I find them insightful and entertaining.
Certainly entertaining. Grin
MahaRamana

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:04:11 PM

Certainly entertaining. Grin

Yes, these updates are very good. To the point and free from emotional noise.

When are we reaching +8 USD per day climbing slope ?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:35:59 PM

Have not seen any major news to push last night/this morning surge in prices. Any ideas?
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:52:08 PM

Have not seen any major news to push last night/this morning surge in prices. Any ideas?

Bitcoin Rallies Over 10 Percent, OKCoin to Launch ATM

In China related news, exchange OKCoin announced that they’re working on a bitcoin ATM. One of the main features of the machines will be complete trading, the ATM can act as a bitcoin trading platform on itself. The notice goes on to say that the bitcoin market is not very large and is more concentrated in some areas, thus the overall demand for ATM machines is still very small and volume on online trading facilities is far greater than offline transactions. The rollout of the ATMs should help shift the balance somewhat.

Along with this, OKCoin officially launched the recharge code (voucher) scheme. The move is aimed at circumventing PBOC’s bank deposit ban. It remains to be seen how the People’s Bank of China will react to the latest evasion moves by Chinese bitcoin exchanges.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:53:53 PM

In China related news, exchange OKCoin announced that they’re working on a bitcoin ATM. One of the main features of the machines will be complete trading, the ATM can act as a bitcoin trading platform on itself. The notice goes on to say that the bitcoin market is not very large and is more concentrated in some areas, thus the overall demand for ATM machines is still very small and volume on online trading facilities is far greater than offline transactions. The rollout of the ATMs should help shift the balance somewhat.

Along with this, OKCoin officially launched the recharge code (voucher) scheme. The move is aimed at circumventing PBOC’s bank deposit ban. It remains to be seen how the People’s Bank of China will react to the latest evasion moves by Chinese bitcoin exchanges.

Re-charge code and an ATM, responsible for worldwide rally? Think thats possible?
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:54:56 PM

Re-charge code and an ATM, responsible for worldwide rally? Think thats possible?

According to trendlines published here and elsewhere, the recent bitcoin price was so far beneath the trend that simply the absence of bad news was probably enough for a short-covering rally.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:56:05 PM

Or it could be people buying back before April 15th knowing that the supposed "China ban" was nothing more than a bunch of FUD being spread?  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Undone

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:15:55 PM

Or it could be people buying back before April 15th knowing that the supposed "China ban" was nothing more than a bunch of FUD being spread?  
It seems like that's more or less spot on.

Despite the status either way of "The Ban," it feels like the community is starting to finally and slowly become more immune to the word "China," just in the same way it started to become more immune to the word "Gox" before Gox was completely shut down.

Could be a psychological turning point, really. Not saying it definitely is such a turning point - but it could be.
CookieFactory

Activity: 118
Merit: 19

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:18:16 PM

dat 468 test
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:23:47 PM

Could be, but most people reacted immediately to the news about the 15th, without actually waiting for the 15th to roll around
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:08:18 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2014, 05:53:12 PM by manfred

At least historically, Ukraine's farmland has also been an important resource. The west needs it more than Russia, which has plenty of her own (compared to population trends). It was not my intention to draw a historical comparison to the 1930s but since it came to my mind, it must have come to yours also..
Well China least 9 % of all available Ukraine farmland last year. Seams they need it more than anyone else.
http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2013/09/china-buys-five-per-cent-of-ukraine/
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:43:06 PM

Looks like we are reversing  Wink

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:37:54 PM

Looks like we are reversing  Wink

That's where I have placed my bets...  All in around 407.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:46:33 PM

According to trendlines published here and elsewhere, the recent bitcoin price was so far beneath the trend that simply the absence of bad news was probably enough for a short-covering rally.

In my own trading, I give almost zero weight on "news". There are some developments that change the probability whether Bitcoin hits big ($1M) or not. To them I give some weight. Mostly I give weight to whether the price is below or above its long-term trend. This kind of trading schedule lets me buy low and sell high, gives peace of mind, and is the almost only strategy that actually is implementable for someone of my size (too small to manipulate world market, too big to daytrade efficiently anywhere). If BTC fails, I am prepared to ride it to the bottom, because I have sold high.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:02:42 PM

If BTC fails, I am prepared to ride it to the bottom, because I have sold high.

My situation is the inverse equivalent.  My smaller pile of coins has exactly zero cost basis.  There is no way I wont wait out the dark times, and I'll be with you at the bottom if it comes.  You'll be rich, and I'll will have lost nothing.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:13:20 PM

If BTC fails, I am prepared to ride it to the bottom, because I have sold high.

My situation is the inverse equivalent.  My smaller pile of coins has exactly zero cost basis.  There is no way I wont wait out the dark times, and I'll be with you at the bottom if it comes.  You'll be rich, and I'll will have lost nothing.

Yeah, the cost basis for my remaining bitcoins is more than $100 negative. It is an exaggeration to say that I am rich if bitcoin goes to zero, but I think I'll find something else to do, even for making money. It (making money) becomes easier when you are well-off and well-known, neither of which is solely dependent of my number of bitcoins, although I am grateful for the opportunity that I am living because of them.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:05:35 PM

The market today does not give more than 12% probability of that happening; probably much less than that.

That's why I am buying and telling others to buy.

Bitcoin has a long and glorious history that its price has had nothing to do with long-term expected value. My estimate of scenario-probability-weighted discounted 2020 value of 1 bitcoin is about $500,000 and the fact that the majority of players in the market think differently, is my advantage.

And I am quite sure I know the reason for that. It is the extreme information asymmetry between Bitcoin owners and non-owners. (To simplify,) Bitcoin owners know that bitcoins are very valuable, and they buy and hold as much as they can. But as a result of their price going up, it forces people to sell, not because they don't trust Bitcoin, or expect the EV to be anything less than $100k or whatever in a few years, but because their entire net worth consists of bitcoins and it is rational to diversify (cf. Kelly betting). Even if the price goes down, these true believers cannot buy much more because the same optimal allocation strategy holds true.

The ones who don't own bitcoins, don't know it is good Smiley They are converting to bitcoiners at an exponential rate, though (see my previous post, and this thread for the ownership distribution). This increasing adoption gives the steam to the rise of price, in a self-sustaining virtuous cycle.

First only very few people knew about Bitcoin, and they were technologically astute and early adopter type. Many could start using Bitcoin immediately upon hearing. In the second phase more people heard, but they were, on average, slower. In the third phase or so, in which I belong, I heard and it took me 12 months to buy. In the next one, people who heard in 2011, propelled the boom in 2013 because their average decision making time was even longer. In the whole of 2013, especially the time around the peaks, 100s of millions of people heard about Bitcoin. On average, these people are even slower than previous ones, perhaps taking on average 24 months to enter (and also a smaller percentage of them enters). But they are so many! There is nothing you can really do to prevent the fraction of these people adopting Bitcoin, and by doing it, their action increases the price again by a decade, letting the rest of the planet to hear about it and putting hundreds of millions of people in the pipeline.

Bitcoiners know it, the rest don't. The price does not go to $1 million in an instant because only the ones who realize the above thing, can push the price up, but it will nevertheless go there eventually, because the above thing is a self-sustaining loop. Therefore buying bitcoins when you read and realize it, is the most lopsided bet you can ever make. You can actually pay $460 for something whose EV (expected value = average payback of all scenarios weighted by their probabilities) is in between $100k and $1M+. ONLY the fact that people realize this one at a time, slowly but exponentially, keeps the bitcoin price "at check", growing at an average of 1000% per year, for 5+ years now.

My wealth is dependent on the above being true. Nobody has explained to me, why it is not so. The stage is yours! Smiley

Kudos for the person who explained this to me in 2010, after which it took me 12 months to buy, after which it took an additional 18 months to realize it, which realization threatened my sanity, which was only saved by starting to smoke cigars. After 12 more months I tell it to you, please don't repeat my mistakes. Consider if it is valid, and invest accordingly. I am quite sure that next month you will not see this low prices any more, because the information is freely available.

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 08:10:33 PM

The market today does not give more than 12% probability of that happening; probably much less than that.

That's why I am buying and telling others to buy.

Bitcoin has a long and glorious history that its price has had nothing to do with long-term expected value. My estimate of scenario-probability-weighted discounted 2020 value of 1 bitcoin is about $500,000 and the fact that the majority of players in the market think differently, is my advantage.

And I am quite sure I know the reason for that. It is the extreme information asymmetry between Bitcoin owners and non-owners. (To simplify,) Bitcoin owners know that bitcoins are very valuable, and they buy and hold as much as they can. But as a result of their price going up, it forces people to sell, not because they don't trust Bitcoin, or expect the EV to be anything less than $100k or whatever in a few years, but because their entire net worth consists of bitcoins and it is rational to diversify (cf. Kelly betting). Even if the price goes down, these true believers cannot buy much more because the same optimal allocation strategy holds true.

The ones who don't own bitcoins, don't know it is good Smiley They are converting to bitcoiners at an exponential rate, though (see my previous post, and this thread for the ownership distribution). This increasing adoption gives the steam to the rise of price, in a self-sustaining virtuous cycle.

First only very few people knew about Bitcoin, and they were technologically astute and early adopter type. Many could start using Bitcoin immediately upon hearing. In the second phase more people heard, but they were, on average, slower. In the third phase or so, in which I belong, I heard and it took me 12 months to buy. In the next one, people who heard in 2011, propelled the boom in 2013 because their average decision making time was even longer. In the whole of 2013, especially the time around the peaks, 100s of millions of people heard about Bitcoin. On average, these people are even slower than previous ones, perhaps taking on average 24 months to enter (and also a smaller percentage of them enters). But they are so many! There is nothing you can really do to prevent the fraction of these people adopting Bitcoin, and by doing it, their action increases the price again by a decade, letting the rest of the planet to hear about it and putting hundreds of millions of people in the pipeline.

Bitcoiners know it, the rest don't. The price does not go to $1 million in an instant because only the ones who realize the above thing, can push the price up, but it will nevertheless go there eventually, because the above thing is a self-sustaining loop. Therefore buying bitcoins when you read and realize it, is the most lopsided bet you can ever make. You can actually pay $460 for something whose EV (expected value = average payback of all scenarios weighted by their probabilities) is in between $100k and $1M+. ONLY the fact that people realize this one at a time, slowly but exponentially, keeps the bitcoin price "at check", growing at an average of 1000% per year, for 5+ years now.

My wealth is dependent on the above being true. Nobody has explained to me, why it is not so. The stage is yours! Smiley

Kudos for the person who explained this to me in 2010, after which it took me 12 months to buy, after which it took an additional 18 months to realize it, which realization threatened my sanity, which was only saved by starting to smoke cigars. After 12 more months I tell it to you, please don't repeat my mistakes. Consider if it is valid, and invest accordingly. I am quite sure that next month you will not see this low prices any more, because the information is freely available.

+1000

This is such a concise articulation of what I also believe to be exactly correct that I am considering printing it out and hanging it on my wall Smiley
jmw74

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:25:25 PM

I would add more more thing to rpietila's excellent observation.

There are those who bought early, but didn't really understand.  Perhaps they bought on a friend's advice, or just on a lark.  These are the coins that get shaken loose on the next downturn.  Getting in early is only half the battle. 
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: