Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907169 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
isov

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:22:04 PM

Quick TA update:
- 6H candle color/volume: BREAKING - huge green candle beats the previous reds AND action afterwards is very promising, conclusion: probability of recent reversal further increased
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $84, slippage to buy: $143, conclusion: potential for extreme volatility
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.341 log units. The trendline is at $1,015 and rising $7 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: short covering/panic buys are starting
- Prognosis: getting better; probability for going <400 gets smaller by the day, long-term buy zone

And only 1 day after...
Quick TA update (at $500):
- 6H candle color/volume: after a row of tall reds we have turned exclusively tall green, conclusion: reversal seems confirmed
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $77, slippage to buy: $83, conclusion: potential for high volatility
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.310 log units. The trendline is at $1,022 and rising $7 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: awaiting a breakout or a pullback
- Prognosis: reversal seems confirmed and <400 fades, long-term buy zone

Smiley  Good times ahead it appears! 

Hey, my fortune cookie from today at Panda Express said, "YOU WILL BE COMING INTO A FORTUNE"

Does that count as confirmation!?   Grin
Missing Panda express, maybe the best fast food joint there is. I guess it U.S. only. One week macd has also turned to declining red, that should be a nice sign.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:32:30 PM

Here is the Blockchain adjusted transaction quantity chart, for 180 days using the 7-day moving average. The rightmost 4 days appear to confirm the reversal of the price trend.

Thanks. I noticed we also had something similar hapoening between May and June 2013, and confirmed a reversal in price trend, albeit it was not the bottom.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
frienemy

Activity: 235

I was promised da moon

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:34:59 PM

Quick TA update:
- 6H candle color/volume: BREAKING - huge green candle beats the previous reds AND action afterwards is very promising, conclusion: probability of recent reversal further increased
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $84, slippage to buy: $143, conclusion: potential for extreme volatility
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.341 log units. The trendline is at $1,015 and rising $7 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: short covering/panic buys are starting
- Prognosis: getting better; probability for going <400 gets smaller by the day, long-term buy zone

And only 1 day after...
Quick TA update (at $500):
- 6H candle color/volume: after a row of tall reds we have turned exclusively tall green, conclusion: reversal seems confirmed
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $77, slippage to buy: $83, conclusion: potential for high volatility
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.310 log units. The trendline is at $1,022 and rising $7 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: awaiting a breakout or a pullback
- Prognosis: reversal seems confirmed and <400 fades, long-term buy zone

Smiley  Good times ahead it appears! 

Hey, my fortune cookie from today at Panda Express said, "YOU WILL BE COMING INTO A FORTUNE"

Does that count as confirmation!?   Grin
Missing Panda express, maybe the best fast food joint there is. I guess it U.S. only. One week macd has also turned to declining red, that should be a nice sign.

The name Panda Express says it all. That's the express train the panda bears are taking in order to catch upt to our beloved choo choo train so that they don't miss it.

I was expecting a strong dent today after hitting 500 before we go further up again, but that hasn't come true. This short term recovery has quite a bite to it, leaving quite nice prospects for the long term. I'm tired of the bears saying we have to break thousands of downward trendlines before we can go up again. Once every single one of those lines is broken, we ARE already up again.

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:11:27 PM

The name Panda Express says it all. That's the express train the panda bears are taking in order to catch upt to our beloved choo choo train so that they don't miss it.

Ha Ha Ha.  The irony that it was "Panda Express" was lost on me until you said that.

That makes it an even greater sign that we are on the "Panda Express" train to the moon now. Wink

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:33:06 PM

At the moment, China is just waking up and volume is smoothly climbing on Huobi's 30 minute chart as displayed at Bitcoin Wisdom.

On the daily Bitstamp chart, $550 appears to be the trend line of resistance.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:17:17 AM

I have not thought it through, wanted to have feedback! Smiley

From my background the intuitive thing is to use F1 measure as a score.  Or area under ROC curve.  There are good wikipedia articles about these.

These seemed to be concerned with binary outcomes. I want a metric that is continuous. I am developing one currently Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:30:05 AM

I have not thought it through, wanted to have feedback! Smiley

From my background the intuitive thing is to use F1 measure as a score.  Or area under ROC curve.  There are good wikipedia articles about these.

These seemed to be concerned with binary outcomes. I want a metric that is continuous. I am developing one currently Smiley

Eureka! It is this simple:

- Every predictor gives two prices in log scale eg. "In 2014-5-16 the price is between 2.7 and 2.85 (roughly 500 and 700)"

- When the actual price is known, you take min [ abs ( actual - upper_limit); abs ( actual - lower_limit) ]

- Whoever has the lowest average error after a reasonable number of predictions (predictions can be renewed as often as you wish regardless of their maturity) is the best!  Grin

- Proof omitted  Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
yenom

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:19:33 AM

- Every predictor gives two prices in log scale eg. "In 2014-5-16 the price is between 2.7 and 2.85 (roughly 500 and 700)"

- When the actual price is known, you take min [ abs ( actual - upper_limit); abs ( actual - lower_limit) ]

- Whoever has the lowest average error after a reasonable number of predictions (predictions can be renewed as often as you wish regardless of their maturity) is the best!  Grin

- Proof omitted  Wink

I would be very grateful if you could explain this to a simpleton like myself.
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:16:11 AM

Those shorters may have a very hard time if Houbi breaks 2800CNY.
for the record: broken at around 10:00 UTC on 10k volume.
There's nothing significant about 2800. Breaking 3200 would be significant.
for the record: 3200 has been broken yesterday at 2300 UTC (on low volume). volume increased until 3450 and ended with a sharp 10k decline to retest 3200.

this could be the first wave of pullbacks, but basically i had to reply to your earlier posting ;-)
MahaRamana

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:17:48 AM

At the moment, China is just waking up and volume is smoothly climbing on Huobi's 30 minute chart as displayed at Bitcoin Wisdom.

On the daily Bitstamp chart, $550 appears to be the trend line of resistance.

Looks like we hit that ceiling.
Next attempt will probably go through
phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:54:47 AM

My attempt at drawing random lines:

and a 1h zoom:

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:19:45 PM

- Whoever has the lowest average error after a reasonable number of predictions (predictions can be renewed as often as you wish regardless of their maturity) is the best!  Grin

- Proof omitted  Wink

Whoever was the closest to the actual price with the narrowest range was the best.  I think he's being a little facetious here, because this is, of course, obvious.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
bitfair

Activity: 362

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:06:34 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 01:19:09 PM by bitfair

- Whoever has the lowest average error after a reasonable number of predictions (predictions can be renewed as often as you wish regardless of their maturity) is the best!  Grin

- Proof omitted  Wink

Whoever was the closest to the actual price with the narrowest range was the best.  I think he's being a little facetious here, because this is, of course, obvious.

Except that it doesn't actually work.

Proof by counterexample: Imagine a forecast range of 50-100. If the outcome if 95, i.e. within the range, the formula produces a score of 5. However, if the outcome is 105, i.e. outside the range, the formula produces a score of 5. But clearly, the first situation should score better, but with this formula it does not! QED?

Edit: I can think of more examples where it doesn't work too, can I leave those as an exercise to the reader?

Edit 2: For those wondering how to do it properly, I suggest searching the meteorology literature - it's much more comprehensive on this issue than the financial/economic/econometric literature.
SlipperySlope

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:45:45 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 02:05:21 PM by SlipperySlope

- Proof omitted  Wink

Proof by counterexample: Imagine a forecast range of 50-100. If the outcome if 95, i.e. within the range, the formula produces a score of 5. However, if the outcome is 105, i.e. outside the range, the formula produces a score of 5. But clearly, the first situation should score better, but with this formula it does not! QED?

Edit: I can think of more examples where it doesn't work too, can I leave those as an exercise to the reader?

Edit 2: For those wondering how to do it properly, I suggest searching the meteorology literature - it's much more comprehensive on this issue than the financial/economic/econometric literature.

Suppose rpietila's formula was amended to yield zero in the case that the prediction is within the range. Then your offered counterexample fails. Did you have others that would prove the amended scoring formula invalid?

Note, to anyone interested, that the reduction of the price to log10 form allows the predictions to be compared on widely differing timescales, in which price values might be 10x larger or smaller. rpietila has been talking about deviation from the log10 trendline in terms of these log10 deltas. Accordingly, I added a column to my own logistic model of bitcoin prices which produces this log10 delta for each day's data that I record.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArD8rjI3DD1WdFIzNDFMeEhVSzhwcEVXZDVzdVpGU2c
bitfair

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:55:10 PM

Suppose rpietila's formula was amended to yield zero in the case that the prediction is within the range. Then your offered counterexample fails. Did you have others that would prove the amended scoring formula invalid?

Note, to anyone interested, that the reduction of the price to log10 form allows the predictions to be compared on widely differing timescales, in which price values might be 10x larger or smaller. rpietila has been talking about deviation from the log10 trendline in terms of these log10 deltas.

Fair enough, let's do another one:

Imagine the actual outcome is 95. A prediction of 50-100 would score 5. A prediction of 89-100 would also score 5, although it is obviously much better than the first one. So the amended formula does not correctly rank the predictions either (at least not intuitively).

Let me see if I can think of another one...

Log scale or not doesn't really matter for comparing predictions to each other (by which I mean ranking/ordering them).

Edit: Came to think of another counterexample for the amended formula: if the prediction is 50-100 and the outcome is 101, the amended formula gives score 0. If the outcome is 150, the amended formula also gives score 0, although the first case is obviously better than the second. (You might argue that this is "fair", though, but that is a subjective argument: the amended formula still clearly fails to correctly rank/order the two predictions).
bb113

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:03:23 PM

- Proof omitted  Wink

Note, to anyone interested, that the reduction of the price to log10 form allows the predictions to be compared on widely differing timescales, in which price values might be 10x larger or smaller. rpietila has been talking about deviation from the log10 trendline in terms of these log10 deltas.

What you want to do is reward for the prediction being within the interval and penalize for distance from the interval as well as for the width of the interval. For example:

Code:
I= upper_limit -lower_limit
W=Weight of Interval width penalty
P= Actual

if( P>lower_limit AND P<upper_limit){
D=0
}else{
D=min [ abs ( P - upper_limit); abs ( P - lower_limit) ]
}

Score= D+W*I

W could even be 1, IDK. Lowest score wins.

envy2010

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:05:32 PM

Predicting a range is clearly useful, but having the value fall into that range or hit the mean value of the range does not always mean the prediction is better.

Example:
Prediction 1: 90-100; Prediction 2: 50-150. Actual: 101
The first is clearly the better prediction, although the actual is outside the range and further from the mean than the second.

What you really want to do is 1) reward a predicted mean value (i.e. max+min/2) that is close to the actual; 2) reward a smaller range preferentially to a larger range.
SlipperySlope

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:10:11 PM

Here is a chart illustrating the Log10 delta of actual bitcoin price from my manually-fitted logistic model trendline. Rpietila has been discussing Log10 deviation from the Log10 trend as an indicator for buy, sell or hold. It is clear from the chart how such limits could be derived from the April 2013 and November 2103 bubbles.

bitfair

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:12:31 PM

What you want to do is reward for the prediction being within the interval and penalize for distance from the interval as well as for the width of the interval. For example:

Code:
P= Actual

D=0
}else{
}

Score= D+W*I

Sorry for coming off as very negative today, I really don't mean to smack down everything, but this wouldn't work either. My counterexample: I would choose upper_limit = lower_limit = 0 and win every time (assuming P is not zero)! I would get D=0 and I=0, which would give me Score=0, regardless of W. Furthermore 0 is the lowest possible score since D>=0 and I>=0, so I would win every time! Wink
bb113

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:17:18 PM

Code:
P= Actual

D=0
}else{
}

Score= D+W*I

Sorry for coming off as very negative today, I really don't mean to smack down everything, but this wouldn't work either. My counterexample: I would choose upper_limit = lower_limit = 0 and win every time (assuming P is not zero)! I would get D=0 and I=0, which would give me Score=0, regardless of W. Furthermore 0 is the lowest possible score since D>=0 and I>=0, so I would win every time! Wink

No. D is the deviation from the interval and is added to the weighted interval width. I think you misread it.

Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: