Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:52:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 ... 624 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NobleCoin[NOBL] - 8% PoS | 1Yr+ | MARKETPLACE | PAY | GIFT | CHARITIES/MERCHANTS  (Read 1052991 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:48:09 PM

The production of noblecoin is at 7,200,000 per day and now there will be up to 14,400,000 per day in POS. Good luck with that.

Thanks for wishing us luck, it is always appreciated  Wink

Also it is very unlikely NOBL will hit 14.4m a day.

That isn't the point. 14.4m a day compare to 7.2m a day at present does not inspire confidence. The maximum needs to be lower...under 7.2m.

I think that daily expansion of coin supply is definitely an important element. But there are also important elements too such as attracting investors. Lets take TEK coin as a quick example.  In the last two months the coin supply has gone from 700k to ~1.4m TEK, in that period of time the price has also increased from 25k sats and spiked all the way up to 127k sats.  Under your economics how is this possible?  TEK has hardly anywhere that you can exchange TEK for physical goods and is purely a PoS holding play. The price has since dropped back down to around 80k sats.  This is due to people not supplying the marketplace with sell orders because they are staking the coin rather than day trading the coin.

The plans for NOBL are of course going to be much more methodical than the design of TEK.  TEK has no maximum subsidy per block but NOBL will, this gives a clear cut maximum rate of inflation, but of course that maximum rate of inflation can and will be undershot.

I am here to help the NOBL community translate their goals and wishes into code.  I am not really here to push one thing or another, but I do obviously have my recommendations. The issue of too many coins per day has come up a few times and if everyone comes out in support of changing the goals and Rofo gives the green light, then it is as simple as that. I don't personally think it is necessary, but I don't think it will ruin anything to do so.  There needs to be a happy medium between drawing in investors and keeping the price of the coin stable.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
Coinler

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:50:16 PM

I can understand the problems with 51% attacks and do sympathise. Surely there has to be a better solution. May require creating something new, like POS was new at the time and the currently anon fad is new. But creating a max of 14,400,000 POS per day is way too much.

i must have missed an update. was there some specification for the intended POS setup published??
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:06:52 PM

The production of noblecoin is at 7,200,000 per day and now there will be up to 14,400,000 per day in POS. Good luck with that.

Thanks for wishing us luck, it is always appreciated  Wink

Also it is very unlikely NOBL will hit 14.4m a day.

That isn't the point. 14.4m a day compare to 7.2m a day at present does not inspire confidence. The maximum needs to be lower...under 7.2m.

I think that daily expansion of coin supply is definitely an important element. But there are also important elements too such as attracting investors. Lets take TEK coin as a quick example.  In the last two months the coin supply has gone from 700k to ~1.4m TEK, in that period of time the price has also increased from 25k sats and spiked all the way up to 127k sats.  Under your economics how is this possible?  TEK has hardly anywhere that you can exchange TEK for physical goods and is purely a PoS holding play. The price has since dropped back down to around 80k sats.  This is due to people not supplying the marketplace with sell orders because they are staking the coin rather than day trading the coin.

The plans for NOBL are of course going to be much more methodical than the design of TEK.  TEK has no maximum subsidy per block but NOBL will, this gives a clear cut maximum rate of inflation, but of course that maximum rate of inflation can and will be undershot.

I am here to help the NOBL community translate their goals and wishes into code.  I am not really here to push one thing or another, but I do obviously have my recommendations. The issue of too many coins per day has come up a few times and if everyone comes out in support of changing the goals and Rofo gives the green light, then it is as simple as that. I don't personally think it is necessary, but I don't think it will ruin anything to do so.  There needs to be a happy medium between drawing in investors and keeping the price of the coin stable.

When i determine a value of something, i do not include short-term fads, bubbles, speculations, etc, as they always end up in tears. Obviously not everyone is methodical in establishing a value like me. Some people just jump in and buy without thinking and end up being bagholders.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

Coinler

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:40:19 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2014, 07:51:13 PM by Coinler

In understanding Austrian theory of money supply, one must follow the law of cause and effect. If i put a paper in a fire it will burn. DO you think just because we are in the 21st century the law of cause and effect will change so that paper in a fire no longer burns. Perhaps you think the law of gravity no longer applies.

interesting that you would cite an austrian theory of money supply here in crypto. but that is all wrong for one reason. and that reason is essentially crypto is not money. it is a trading commodity. you will have to consult the rules of trade as they integrate with basic psychology of a capitalist market. then you have to answer "what is the cause and effect that drives the value of a crypto coin?". many do not know the answer to this question. and so to pretend to know while making decisions is a bit of phallic thinking. eventually crypto will become recognized as money/currency and when it does, the statement "burning money" wont have the same application. you can burn fiat today, but you cant set fire to a cryptocoin. thus things change, but in a sense stay the same. that is why you will be able to find areas where many old philosophical economic theories still apply, but no longer in an absolute way. im a big supporter of the Austrian Economic Model btw. but only as it applies to the current capitalist paper money based system. i think if the west had paid attention to it more we couldve done alot better over the past 30 years and maybe even totally avoid a recession of any kind.

Why would investors invest in a coin? Depends on their own subjective value and what they can do with it. Each to their own. Unfortunately most people (95%) are here to mine, trade, dump, etc...for BTC. Noblecoin has to do it different by creating a marketplace so it can compete with Bitcoin. So far so good. The coins mined will have a certain value backed by the cost of mining. What is backing POS coins?.....nothing. Supply and demand does not play differently for each goods and services. It is the same for all, but the numbers regarding supply/demand/price are different.

well this paragraph to me suggests that you are really still hinged to the idea that this is money yet acknowledge that in regards to the marketplace, it does not behave like money. so you should begin to see the hybrid currency/trading analysis that must be applied to crypto over standard economic models as i mentioned above. you cant just use one or the other. there needs to be some understanding on your part as well on what crypto stands on. fiat used to stand on gold and silver(when it wasnt fiat). but crypto is backed by the internet and is the direct conversion of energy into currency(though currently viewed as a commodity). crypto is also backed by security.. as larger hashpower generates much harder to crack blocks on the network. cracking a network block and taking the proceeds in crypto would be akin to money counterfeiting(besides theft). crypto's complex encryption ensures that the network/currency isnt absolutely valueless because only allowed processes reward investors or workers. there is also more that drives cause and effect, like constant development or lack of it, infrastructure or the lack of it, flawed coin design or good coin design, community behaviour and quite a few other things. if u dont take into consideration all the factors youll be in a boat without a paddle here in crypto.

What is sent to the exchanges is supply and what is being held in wallets is also supply. If you go into a shop to buy a TV and you will see 1 TV on display for each model. Does that mean the supply of TV is 1 and the price will rise because of scarcity of TV. NO NO NO. Everyone knows that more TVs are held in the warehouse. Shop = exchanges.....warehouse = wallet. Do not think that just because there are 1000 TVs in a warehouse means the supply is 1. Same goes for the amount of coins in the wallets - they are also supply. If the price do rise because there isn't enough coins in exchanges, nothing can stop people from transfer coins and dumping....causing a chain reaction where price will fall and buy again and keep the profit in BTC. Hence P&D.

no but if i own 10 tvs and tell you only 5 are for sale because im keeping the other 5 for myself.. then effectively the supply of tvs is only 5. if money is scarce and i need money i may decide to sell the tv cheaper to get some more money. but if there are 20 people that want tv's and i am only willing to sell 5, well then you can see how the law of supply and demand works in that case. the first 5 will sell for attractive rates.. and those who want the next 5 will have to make me an offer i cannot refuse and will be willing to do without a tv to accept. this is the model you can apply to hybrid trading and mining of currency supply. there is a bit of a misstep in understanding which areas from standard economics were transferred to which areas of crypto. people are confused by the term "worker" on pools, but in the case of POS who is the worker when mining is finished? workers then become real world people who perform real world jobs for payment in that cryptocurrency. investors can be seen as making deposits to their own bank account with a savings plan(10% POS per annum).

mining is printing money. and just as world governments have aimed to regulate supply as not to devalue the currency, or have forgers just drawing up their own money at home. it is important to build a secure currency through mining. so my view is that no, this isnt money supply we're dealing with exactly. it's money production in a secure and decentralized regulated environment. the real game begins when production ends and adoption takes the forefront. otherwise i could just go into my client and type in  "100,000 bitcoins" and that would be my new savings balance.

im not sure i caught that update. where was there a specification for the POS setup published if i may ask? either way 14 million coins isnt that much. creating demand that outweighs supply is important(see tvs above). if noblecoin is going to allow a continued period of pow as we move into POS then it is safe to say that as we approach the end of POW the accumulation of longterm investors over time will do nothing less than pump the value of noblecoin since shares in the commodity are now limited. with noblecoin infrastructure and develpments it would all just be a matter of time.

enjoying my vericoin investment atm. i think it might be going towards btc value as a direct competitor to btc in the coming year or two. why? it's faster, more rewarding, security minded, energy efficient for the environment conscious, limited supply and innovative features with constant development. all those are markets vericoin takes from as well as others. some users may only fall into one of those appealing markets, while some like myself will fall into agreement with all because i see each as additional market attraction and a reason to grab some early investment for the longterm. i can hold it with confidence. sure a big holder can crash the market right now, but why doesnt he is the question u must ask yourself. because he knows with limited supply it is only a matter of time before the market outgrows supply.
Tranz
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1052

May the force bit with you.

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:43:52 PM

Looks like you guys are having some fun here.  Grin

I haven't read through this thread just skimmed the last 10 pages or so. But I wanted to put out a few ideas.

First off regarding inflation and moving towards PoS.  Looking at the number of coins out there and the current trading level, this coin is getting close to 1 satoshi, which is something you would want to avoid. Granted you can always move to trading in the LTC market, but still not the best for longevity.

So with that in mind, I would choose an PoS rate that would actually lower the inflation. This can be done by choosing a percentage that is not too high, but not so low as to discourage people from staking. Maybe somewhere in the 10-25% range, not totally sure as I haven't run any numbers on it.  It would also be good to make the stake weight start at a 5 days or less. This would allow more coins to stake consistently and help push the PoW difficulty up higher so there would be less PoW and more PoS. Also a max reward for PoS should be put into the fork.

I think you may also want to do this in phases. The first phase I would personally do would be to fork with a checkpoint server in place. This will stop the 51% double spend attacks, and when the fork for PoS happens, it will help to keep all clients on the same chain. You could turn it back off later, after the coin is stable again.

Also I took a quick gander at the code base. And this was forked off an older version of bitcoin, which is actually good. It should fit much nicer with the current PoS fork of PeerCoin and the like.

I am happy to answer any questions from certain devs ( you know who you are  Wink ), if something in the code doesn't make since.  I may be able to, if I have time, peer review(Q/C) any changes before they go live as well.

Anyway good luck on your project!

HBN: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303749.0 hobonickels.info
Personal Donations: F1TranzWqFGZyFeTMu6iLbtTQgdXuJPsiL
Donations to the HBN Fund: EhbNfund4PrRFLHMxsnbGLhP25hizJGHEE or 1LVFtCX4a83dMLjd8S7imKKKC58QaG83kw
The One
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:57:47 PM

In understanding Austrian theory of money supply, one must follow the law of cause and effect. If i put a paper in a fire it will burn. DO you think just because we are in the 21st century the law of cause and effect will change so that paper in a fire no longer burns. Perhaps you think the law of gravity no longer applies.

interesting that you would cite an austrian theory of money supply here in crypto. but that is all wrong for one reason. and that reason is essentially crypto is not money. it is a trading commodity.

Money is also a commodity.

no but if i own 10 tvs and tell you only 5 are for sale because im keeping the other 5 for myself.. then effectively the supply of tvs is only 5. if money is scarce and i need money i may decide to sell the tv cheaper to get some more money. but if there are 20 people that want tv's and i am only willing to sell 5, well then you can see how the law of supply and demand works in that case. the first 5 will sell for attractive rates.. and those who want the next 5 will have to make me an offer i cannot refuse and will be willing to do without a tv to accept. this is the model you can apply to hybrid trading and mining of currency supply. there is a bit of a misstep in understanding which areas from standard economics were transferred to which areas of crypto. people are confused by the term "worker" on pools, but in the case of POS who is the worker when mining is finished? workers then become real world people who perform real world jobs for payment in that cryptocurrency. investors can be seen as making deposits to their own bank account with a savings plan(10% POS per annum).

It doesn't matter whether you are willing to sell or not, the supply still exist.

..C..

The One
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:02:03 PM

The first phase I would personally do would be to fork with a checkpoint server in place. This will stop the 51% double spend attacks, and when the fork for PoS happens, it will help to keep all clients on the same chain. You could turn it back off later, after the coin is stable again.

How does this checkpoint server work?

..C..

Coinler

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:17:06 PM

but not in the way that governments regard it. im speaking about political correctness here. we know crypto is currency, but government is regarding and treating it as a commodity. why is that? you will have to fall back again to understanding that it is actually sort of both atm.

It doesn't matter whether you are willing to sell or not, the supply still exist.

incorrect perception. if i own a priceless painting. this means i have regarded it to a value that no man can afford. all the money in the world could not afford it.. and so.. to the market.. it does not exist. it will only exist if is not properly secured and allowed to be stolen by someone who holds it in much less regard.
The One
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 09:04:32 PM

but not in the way that governments regard it. im speaking about political correctness here. we know crypto is currency, but government is regarding and treating it as a commodity. why is that? you will have to fall back again to understanding that it is actually sort of both atm.

incorrect perception. if i own a priceless painting. this means i have regarded it to a value that no man can afford. all the money in the world could not afford it.. and so.. to the market.. it does not exist. it will only exist if is not properly secured and allowed to be stolen by someone who holds it in much less regard.

Just because it is not on the market, the supply still exist. If it is properly secured, the supply still exist. Just because there are 100bn barrels of oil underground and not on the market, the supply of oil still exist.

..C..

kultus

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:43:56 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2014, 11:51:14 PM by kultus

Just because it is not on the market, the supply still exist. If it is properly secured, the supply still exist. Just because there are 100bn barrels of oil underground and not on the market, the supply of oil still exist.

We've gone from TV's of limited supply to Oil of unknown supply, lets keep the apples with apples shall we....

Please go research what the term "peak oil" means, it, like the TV's  does not mean that the oil will not exist, it only tends to the fact we USE x amount of oil per say  and only pump (Smaller x value) out each day, we cannot keep up with demand....

Now Back to TV's with a gross production as discussed earlier in this thread of 10 in which 5 of those the distributor (coinler) wants to keep for himself... lets see if we can top a grade 2 math class here ......

Now we have 20 people wanting TV's the demand is 20 tv's we'll say only each person wants one ..... and there are  5 TV's for sale, so the Supply is 5  the demand is 20 .... we are above and beyond what can be supplied, he owns his 5 TV's and is in no way forced to sell them, they are his, they are not on the market and have no foreseeable place on the market, thus they are not for sale, they are not part of the supply chain ... how ever and here comes the fun part, you can buy one of his 5 TVs he wants to keep, by ....  that's right offering him much more then he paid for it .... and thus the price of TV's go up everywhere and those with TV's spare in the shed stand to make a lot of money .... but again .. ONLY if they want to sell or their hoardings do not get added to the marketplace and not for trade ergo are not part of the supply chain.

That really doesn't seem like rocket science to me, but if it needs some graphs or further explanation, just send all your noble here 9UvR4eNz1hwA47CMp3TFyUu5ANRLDDbUUU where it will get a respectful home, one where it can grow on it's own merit and that of this AWESOME community.

▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄       ▄▄       ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▄   ██ ██▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀▀▀█▀      ███      ███     ███ ██▀▀▀▀▀
██▀      ▀██ ████▄  ██ ██        ██▀           ██▀██     ████   ████ ██
██        ██ ██ ▀██ ██ ██▄▄▄     ██    ████   ██▀ ▀██    ██▀██ ██▀██ ██▄▄▄
██▄      ▄██ ██  ▀████ ██▀▀▀     ██▄     ██  ██▀   ▀██   ██ ▀███▀ ██ ██▀▀▀
 ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██    ▀██ ██▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██▄▄▄██▀ ████▄▄▄████  ██  ▀█▀  ██ ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀     ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀       ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.A-Self Evolving Virtual World.
.Built on Top of Blockchain.....
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
      TWITTER     TELEGRAM      MEDIUM     
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
rodeoclownicp

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:54:08 PM

hi, i just made a purchase on http://www.noblemovement.com/marketplace

i have not heard anything back- is it a legit website? do i have anything to worry about? i emailed but no response... its been a few hours now? have i been ripped off
Backlash

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:59:34 PM

i have not heard anything back- is it a legit website? do i have anything to worry about? i emailed but no response... its been a few hours now? have i been ripped off

Nothing to worry about. Noble marketplace is headed by the Noble dev (Rofo) and is 100% legit. They are busy, just be patient and you will hear back from them. Plus it's the week end! They need time off just like the rest of us Smiley
rodeoclownicp

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 11:01:45 PM

omg dude u r the best i was freekin out
rodeoclownicp

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 11:03:45 PM

oh and by the way - read like three posts- god damn it seems to be some heavy topics and serious global issues being discuussed but i could be way off
kultus

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 11:39:46 PM

Nothing to worry about. Noble marketplace is headed by the Noble dev (Rofo) and is 100% legit. They are busy, just be patient and you will hear back from them. Plus it's the week end! They need time off just like the rest of us Smiley

YARRRP !!!.... Greatest Dev this side of crypto currency .... I still remember the days (earrrrrrrlllyyyy days) when the pools were having trouble with PPLNS  payouts and Dev team came to the table with some of the pre mine and, bailed out the pool owners,  fixed up the miners for lost mining times ... with some people getting a little more than they would have had they been mining the whole time, these guys have been bloody flawless... and when (not if), when we  hit USD0.10cents a coin I'm a buy Jason (Rofo) a Pub ... with strippers .... lots of strippers for him!!

▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄       ▄▄       ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▄   ██ ██▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀▀▀█▀      ███      ███     ███ ██▀▀▀▀▀
██▀      ▀██ ████▄  ██ ██        ██▀           ██▀██     ████   ████ ██
██        ██ ██ ▀██ ██ ██▄▄▄     ██    ████   ██▀ ▀██    ██▀██ ██▀██ ██▄▄▄
██▄      ▄██ ██  ▀████ ██▀▀▀     ██▄     ██  ██▀   ▀██   ██ ▀███▀ ██ ██▀▀▀
 ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██    ▀██ ██▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██▄▄▄██▀ ████▄▄▄████  ██  ▀█▀  ██ ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀     ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀       ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.A-Self Evolving Virtual World.
.Built on Top of Blockchain.....
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
      TWITTER     TELEGRAM      MEDIUM     
▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5034

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 12:01:37 AM

Looks like you guys are having some fun here.  Grin

I haven't read through this thread just skimmed the last 10 pages or so. But I wanted to put out a few ideas.

First off regarding inflation and moving towards PoS.  Looking at the number of coins out there and the current trading level, this coin is getting close to 1 satoshi, which is something you would want to avoid. Granted you can always move to trading in the LTC market, but still not the best for longevity.

So with that in mind, I would choose an PoS rate that would actually lower the inflation. This can be done by choosing a percentage that is not too high, but not so low as to discourage people from staking. Maybe somewhere in the 10-25% range, not totally sure as I haven't run any numbers on it.  It would also be good to make the stake weight start at a 5 days or less. This would allow more coins to stake consistently and help push the PoW difficulty up higher so there would be less PoW and more PoS. Also a max reward for PoS should be put into the fork.

I think you may also want to do this in phases. The first phase I would personally do would be to fork with a checkpoint server in place. This will stop the 51% double spend attacks, and when the fork for PoS happens, it will help to keep all clients on the same chain. You could turn it back off later, after the coin is stable again.

Also I took a quick gander at the code base. And this was forked off an older version of bitcoin, which is actually good. It should fit much nicer with the current PoS fork of PeerCoin and the like.

I am happy to answer any questions from certain devs ( you know who you are  Wink ), if something in the code doesn't make since.  I may be able to, if I have time, peer review(Q/C) any changes before they go live as well.

Good -info, nice to see you available.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Coinler

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 01:40:21 AM

lol. ok if i give you $100,000 dollars but you cant spend it or perform any kind of transactions out of the account for your entire life.. do you still have money?

the answer is no. you'd have "value".. but no money!
Rofo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 02:18:48 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 08:13:52 AM by Rofo

I can understand the problems with 51% attacks and do sympathise. Surely there has to be a better solution. May require creating something new, like POS was new at the time and the currently anon fad is new. But creating a max of 14,400,000 POS per day is way too much.

I agree 14million coins added per day is way too much. But as we've pointed out numerous times that is a theoretical max, not a certainty. Either way, we're discussing different payouts/times/mins/maxs etc. to find a balance, resolve these kinds of concerns.

Explain Graincoin to me then. POW/POS - dead and now on life support. There are other coins with POS from last year and their value is lower this year. One can not assume all those holding POS behaves the same.

That's also true, but then we could counter-argue with DOGEs huge money supply and huge inflation (not helping it any longer, but they had lots of opportunities to change and still most probably will adapt/grow again). One can not assume all PoW/inflation/scrypt/massive supply coins will never rise in value if we apply traditional thinking to them.

I think the thing here is, at least speaking for myself, is I'm not arguing against your understanding of economy, supply/demand and inflation. However we have to factor in the cryptocurrency & altcoin scene variables at this point also.

The issue of too many coins per day has come up a few times and if everyone comes out in support of changing the goals and Rofo gives the green light, then it is as simple as that. I don't personally think it is necessary, but I don't think it will ruin anything to do so.  There needs to be a happy medium between drawing in investors and keeping the price of the coin stable.

I agree with Presstab, and we can lower the limit, it was theoretical and never meant to be met on a daily basis. But we also want and need to factor in security, incentive to stake, remaining attractive to 'invest' and hold, and understand the different dynamics a high-PoS coin has on the market rather than an externally mined and sold PoW coin.

i must have missed an update. was there some specification for the intended POS setup published??

Initial specs up for discussion were spoken on IRC & published here:

Further discussions, including initial specifications that were proposed for first round of testing.

Please keep in mind I'm posting these as conversations because that's what they are. Nothing official or formal, but put out there because it's what is currently under discussion.

http://pastebin.com/expQa2MF (edit: 2nd lot added)

Further readings I personally found helpful:
http://wiki.hobonickels.info/index.php?title=Proof_of_Stake
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=498739.0
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2976

Stakeholder on PoS & NOBL: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=498739.msg7470259#msg7470259

I don't have a degree. I've left university 3 times after trying 3 different degrees because I couldn't stand Uni. (economics, security/counter-terrorism & media/design) so I have no paper to back any case I want to make. I'm not a wizard crypto-developer (hence the constant request to be just called the founder or just Jason Tongue ) compared to some and while people could point out our price and say 'well obviously you don't understand cryptocurrency' because your NOBL is failing, I understand the cryptocurrency environment & market more than some may realise. Austrian (of which I personally subscribe to) and classical economic theory barely, if at all, currently applies to the altcoin scene (BTC seems to be enjoying it more so). That might change and I hope it does, but it won't be for some time and certainly not in this current environment. That some time gives us plenty of time to iron this out until we find the proper balance/specifications.

What is more important is securing our position and cutting out the PoW damage. I was recently pointed to the CINNI thread as yet another example where they sat their multipool on NOBL for three and a half days straight.

Sent, sorry I do the orders manually for now Australian time.

So with that in mind, I would choose an PoS rate that would actually lower the inflation. This can be done by choosing a percentage that is not too high, but not so low as to discourage people from staking. Maybe somewhere in the 10-25% range, not totally sure as I haven't run any numbers on it.  This would allow more coins to stake consistently and help push the PoW difficulty up higher so there would be less PoW and more PoS.

Thank you very much for dropping by Tranz and giving your input. I've obviously spent the better part of a month reading everything out there on PoS to garner a better understanding of PoS intricacies and your name comes up more often than not. Reading your stuff also makes me feel slightly less stupid than reading Sunny Kings. Wink Initially I was after the current specs./'fads' of 2-5%, then felt something like 10-25% would be appealing. At that point I was introduced to high-stake/Stakehunter and the positives of high-PoS security & stake wise as well as its appeal to genuine investors because the returns factor in the inherent risk and volatility of crypto, when compared to other investments they could make in traditional avenues.

However I know currently the # of coins being created is concerning many just like it does with the DOGE community. So more #'s/specs. definitely need to be and are being weighed carefully. I really just want what the majority can agree on is best not just for price, but also for stake incentive, investment, inflation concern & security.

It's such a fine and hard balance to find especially since it was not an original intent, any numbers run would be more than appreciated. At this point we would definitely prefer an appealing incentive to stake and PoS playing the larger role in supply.

It would also be good to make the stake weight start at a 5 days or less.

We initially chose 7 days (to sync. it with a week), do you feel that makes a significant difference?

Also a max reward for PoS should be put into the fork.

Yes a stake max. age and max. reward have also been considered mandatory. I'm under the impression this helps from many angles: security, curbing inflation, promoting more individual blocks to stake among other things. Is this correct? I believe Presstab is working currently with 7/21 days, 60 seconds & 10,000 max reward.

I am happy to answer any questions from certain devs ( you know who you are  Wink ), if something in the code doesn't make since. I may be able to, if I have time, peer review(Q/C) any changes before they go live as well.

You'll have to be careful or I'll also try to take you up on as much feedback as I can get as I value your input/experience with PoS immensely. In all honesty Presstab so far has gone above and beyond and been great. I understand you two a good relationship? I would also be very happy personally to compensate you for any time/work spent reviewing or QC our fork/code before it goes live.

Thank you Smiley 1 satoshi NOBL would be less than ideal, but at that point I could afford half of it and I will buy it and destroy half the supply publicly if it comes to that. Whatever it takes..

Rofo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 02:34:50 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 06:47:31 AM by Rofo

With *some recent pumps*, please refrain from PM'ing us about being more innovative and active in social consciousness, 'Roads', decentralized marketplaces, public identities, transparency & merchant adoption. We're only slightly frustrated but I'd just like to use it to make a point on how hard we are working and whether short-term market sentiment/price truly does follow genuine work/'innovation'.

They are the current 'innovation' by the same groups of people, and still none are at a level we've maintained for months.

kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 03:04:20 AM

loving your work Rofo and been always supporting NOBL!

Pages: « 1 ... 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 ... 624 »
  Print  

Jump to: