Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:00:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... 1832 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit  (Read 3058428 times)
DigiByte (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 12:08:37 AM

Ok here is what Goldcoin did when they lowered their block reward from 500 to 50.  A couple weeks later instant surge to the moon.  Of course it dropped back down aftwards but the new baseline was still 10-30x higher.  Mind you, this was with a coin most of the community hated.  Everyone LOVES Digibyte.

I'm up for a decrease in block rewards. Maybe 2000 or less a block?
Increasing the difficulty of obtaining DGB would certainly increase it's value. I think it would be better that way.
Also, everyone seems to want Kimoto Gravity Well, so I don't see why not. I need to look up on what exactly it does, but it seems like it makes it easier to recover from multipool attacks somehow.
We are looking into these ideas. We are also looking more into the gravity well.

Generally a hard fork and block reward change could cause much confusion among new users. Especially when a mandatory update is required.

DigiByte (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 12:14:53 AM

Lets keep the votes rolling in to get DigiByte on AllCrypt: http://www.allcrypt.com/beta/voting.php

sakkosekk

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:20:27 AM

Ok here is what Goldcoin did when they lowered their block reward from 500 to 50.  A couple weeks later instant surge to the moon.  Of course it dropped back down aftwards but the new baseline was still 10-30x higher.  Mind you, this was with a coin most of the community hated.  Everyone LOVES Digibyte.

Increasing the difficulty of obtaining DGB would certainly increase it's value. I think it would be better that way.
Also, everyone seems to want Kimoto Gravity Well, so I don't see why not. I need to look up on what exactly it does, but it seems like it makes it easier to recover from multipool attacks somehow.

Decreasing the block reward will make DGB more scarce and price will adjust to this. How will this help against multipools? Or am I missing somehting Tongue
Shuxy

Activity: 217

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:27:41 AM

I think real value in DigiByte will appear if instead of seeking out merchants, they create their own resources to use DigiByte in.

Examples of this would be creating an eSports Betting site, where individuals could bet on big eSports competitions in Online Video Games (Dota 2, League of Legends, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2 etc). They would bet with DigiBytes.

Another would be creating their own marketplace. A site similar to Amazon, where merchants could sign up, post their goods and the whole thing would be exchanged in DigiBytes.

Just some ideas, I have plenty more if the devs are interested.
if you know how to use the tools you might use it becouse we trust in Digibyte sooner or later we'll improve this coin even more, i myself made my fate becouse i'm a miner since 2009 when BTC was first released but the idea behind it was uncomensurable to the closed mind! that's what make a good business man... FATE!

I have to disagree, we are not bound by our own fate, you make your own choices in life. In the spiritual sense, if you believe in that, maybe it could all be pre-determined, but we'll never know. We just have the tools we were given in life, our mind and body - the capability to be self conscious and perceive a reality. What makes a good business man is seizing the right opportunities at the right time. Timing and decision making.

Edit: and No I do not possess the ability to program websites as the ones I described, only design them. If someone that knows how to program wants to create these with me for DigiByte then I'm all for it. Until then, I will just leave it as an idea for the Devs to sponge up.

I'm pretty sure martins meant faith... Smiley
TwistedXT

Activity: 225

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:42:45 AM

Ok here is what Goldcoin did when they lowered their block reward from 500 to 50.  A couple weeks later instant surge to the moon.  Of course it dropped back down aftwards but the new baseline was still 10-30x higher.  Mind you, this was with a coin most of the community hated.  Everyone LOVES Digibyte.

Decreasing the block reward will make DGB more scarce and price will adjust to this. How will this help against multipools? Or am I missing somehting Tongue

It wont, but i hope it would make my 900k digibytes worth a lot more... lol  

On a serious note, i think the gravity well is a must, many others have implemented it and have updated wallets.
kovand11

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:47:52 AM

Nobody feels, that changeing the coin supply specifications is way unfair, and not an acceptable method?
sakkosekk

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:12:39 AM

Ok here is what Goldcoin did when they lowered their block reward from 500 to 50.  A couple weeks later instant surge to the moon.  Of course it dropped back down aftwards but the new baseline was still 10-30x higher.  Mind you, this was with a coin most of the community hated.  Everyone LOVES Digibyte.

On a serious note, i think the gravity well is a must, many others have implemented it and have updated wallets.

I'd personally like that too, but it's not the right thing to do.

Nobody feels, that changeing the coin supply specifications is way unfair, and not an acceptable method?

Yeah
xploited

Activity: 304
Merit: 252

CLAM Dev

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:17:55 AM

I agree. The block reward will self adjust over time where they half ever 2 years (on average)

Adjusting the difficulty retargeting is one thing but I think the block rewards should be left alone

TwistedXT

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:19:02 AM

I'd personally like that too, but it's not the right thing to do.

Yeah

Not implementing a better re-targeting protocol will harm Digibyte, that is very clear to see. So far the answer seems to be Gravity well.
creativecuriosity

Activity: 182

DGB.Get-By.com Admin

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:19:40 AM

I don't think coin supply specifications are immutable -> however, I think any changes that are made should primarily affect velocity, and not the resulting total coin supply when all is said and done.  And in this respect, which is surely counter-intuitive for short-term speculators, increasing velocity and the rate of minting is preferable to reducing velocity.  The quicker we get to the ultimate total coin supply, and thereby past the inflationary period, the better.  All coins have to go through this period, and it lasts quite some time, which is hard for many to wrap their heads around.  While coins are being minted at a rapid pace, inflation and thus market price decrease are a fact of life for ALL coins.  Mid-term trends seem to bear out this classical fact of economics even in the crypto-currency markets.  Speeding that process along, even at the cost of short-term market value (which will be impacted the same regardless, only over a longer period of time) is a wise choice, and could even be used to bring in new faces and interest in the endeavor.

I know it seems to be backwards, but that is how the economic principles apply to all crypto-currencies because of how they mint coins.  Remember, a lower market price is not a loss of value.  As long as you continue to mine the same proportion of new coins that are minted, your increase in coins will exactly match the loss of value due to inflation.

TwistedXT

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:23:38 AM

I agree. The block reward will self adjust over time where they half ever 2 years (on average)

Adjusting the difficulty retargeting is one thing but I think the block rewards should be left alone

I agree, the block reward is not the issue here. The issue is protecting against multipools and large mining farms
martins

Activity: 140

Residencial Castor Apart-Hotel

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:23:50 AM

I feel the same about decreasing block reward its like doing a premine of the premine without fair giveaways and i think it will destroy its credibility in a short-term but the readjustment of its difficulty its a must like expressed by someone in a early post.

sakkosekk

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:39:56 AM

I agree, the block reward is not the issue here. The issue is protecting against multipools and large mining farms

We are asking about why people are suggesting it, so it is one of the issues Wink I believe most of us know what kimoto does. It will be a super feature in digibyte
mintzone

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:48:27 AM

The thought had nothing to do with increasing resistance from Multipool attacks  Grin
I just think more people would be interested in a coin with a little bit more immediate value, and decreasing the amount you gain from mining is one of the ways to make it more valuable at a quicker pace.

Also, thanks for the response on these thoughts Digibyte. We should probably have another forum poll about all of this, let the community decide and all of that. We are still young enough for changes like this. It's good to get these things worked out sooner than later, afterall.

DGB is my and the future's coin of choice! Don't cry if you don't invest Wink
creativecuriosity

DGB.Get-By.com Admin

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 02:46:53 AM

The thought had nothing to do with increasing resistance from Multipool attacks  Grin
I just think more people would be interested in a coin with a little bit more immediate value, and decreasing the amount you gain from mining is one of the ways to make it more valuable at a quicker pace.

Also, thanks for the response on these thoughts Digibyte. We should probably have another forum poll about all of this, let the community decide and all of that. We are still young enough for changes like this. It's good to get these things worked out sooner than later, afterall.

I understand why it is suggested, and in fact it would likely increase the value of DGB in the short term, but reducing the block reward flys in the face of what this coin is meant to represent.

Reducing the block reward in isolation, and thus reducing the total coins to be created, will turn DigiByte into yet another commodity coin.  I do not speak for the Dev team, or the community, in anyway; but it was my understanding that DigiByte was created in order to provide a transactional currency that could function as a general medium of exchange.  Reducing the block reward would cripple that endeavor in the interest of increasing profits for a few early-adopters.  It is bad form, bad business, and self-serving.  I hold a great deal of DigiBytes, and would benefit greatly from this choice, yet I believe that it is the wrong choice for the future of DGB.

The desire you are expressing is understandable, and even reasonable.  You are going about it in the wrong way, however.

As a coin progresses through it's life cycle the block reward is naturally reduced by reward halving.  It is built into the design of crypto-currency.

The desire you are expressing is not that the reward be reduced, but that the coin progresses through the stages of maturity sooner.  A 'mature' coin is through the initial inflationary period of rapid minting and therefore begins to deflate and value increases.

To change the reward without changing other fundamental specifications of the coin, would be irresponsible and essentially convert the coin into another coin entirely.  Your suggestion is not a bad suggestion, you are simply going about it in the wrong way.  The only way to achieve what you desire in a responsible manner is to speed up the rate of halving while at the same time changing other specifications such that the ultimate total coins minted does not change.  Framed in that manner, the idea becomes responsible, prudent, wise, and a great idea.

iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:20:20 AM

I too am all for implementing the gravity well, but see no need to lower the block reward. The goal is, after all, to increase the difficulty but to do it in a sustainable manner, slowly building over time. Lowering the reward may well drive away a portion of the network we are trying so hard to build up. 

The gravity well should have no effect on price but lowering the reward would put the markets into a state of flux, which is not a good idea in my opinion. So saying, if enough people see Kimoto as the primary means of preserving Digibyte's future then we should see a small but significant price rise upon implementation.
mintzone

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:38:11 AM

I understand why it is suggested, and in fact it would likely increase the value of DGB in the short term, but reducing the block reward flys in the face of what this coin is meant to represent.

Reducing the block reward in isolation, and thus reducing the total coins to be created, will turn DigiByte into yet another commodity coin.  I do not speak for the Dev team, or the community, in anyway; but it was my understanding that DigiByte was created in order to provide a transactional currency that could function as a general medium of exchange.  Reducing the block reward would cripple that endeavor in the interest of increasing profits for a few early-adopters.  It is bad form, bad business, and self-serving.  I hold a great deal of DigiBytes, and would benefit greatly from this choice, yet I believe that it is the wrong choice for the future of DGB.

The desire you are expressing is understandable, and even reasonable.  You are going about it in the wrong way, however.

As a coin progresses through it's life cycle the block reward is naturally reduced by reward halving.  It is built into the design of crypto-currency.

The desire you are expressing is not that the reward be reduced, but that the coin progresses through the stages of maturity sooner.  A 'mature' coin is through the initial inflationary period of rapid minting and therefore begins to deflate and value increases.

To change the reward without changing other fundamental specifications of the coin, would be irresponsible and essentially convert the coin into another coin entirely.  Your suggestion is not a bad suggestion, you are simply going about it in the wrong way.  The only way to achieve what you desire in a responsible manner is to speed up the rate of halving while at the same time changing other specifications such that the ultimate total coins minted does not change.  Framed in that manner, the idea becomes responsible, prudent, wise, and a great idea.

Very well articulated, as all your posts are Creative.

Basically what you are saying is that the halving rate should be increased?

I don't have an extremely good grasp of the inner workings of cryptocurrencies, so I can't say for sure what is possible or what isn't possible: But what I was suggesting is that the rewards be cut in fourths while adding 4x the amount of blocks to mine. Doing it this way should keep the exact same amount of coins that will ultimately be minted, right?

If that's done, then less coins will circulate in the beginning as the diff goes up. Because of increasing difficulty, and less coins being in circulation, the coin will be worth more in the immediate future: However, the same amount of coins will be minted. The question with this is whether it's good in the short or long term at all, and whether that would attract miners. I personally think that DigiByte would do better if every DGB was worth a little bit more than now, or even it's projected value. People don't want to think of 1000 DGB as a dollar, they'd rather think of 100 DGB as one. It could most likely easily be argued that over time, this will happen naturally. I can see that.

The problem after that is making everyone upgrade they're clients. This is something that will have to happen if Kimoto Gravity Well is implemented anyways, so if a change like this is to be done it should be done with that.

At the very least it's an interesting idea to talk about.  Grin

Once again, I don't have a great grasp of how the blockchain works. So it might not be possible to make 4x the blocks while cutting the rewards into a fourth.

I really should learn up on this stuff Tongue
Anyone have any good suggestions on where I can learn about how cryptos work under the hood?

Oh yeah, and how's the pool going? Lots of meticulous work reading through logs, I'd guess. But keep up the good work  Cool

creativecuriosity

DGB.Get-By.com Admin

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

I don't have an extremely good grasp of the inner workings of cryptocurrencies, so I can't say for sure what is possible or what isn't possible: But what I was suggesting is that the rewards be cut in fourths while adding 4x the amount of blocks to mine. Doing it this way should keep the exact same amount of coins that will ultimately be minted, right?

If that's done, then less coins will circulate in the beginning as the diff goes up. Because of increasing difficulty, and less coins being in circulation, the coin will be worth more in the immediate future: However, the same amount of coins will be minted. The question with this is whether it's good in the short or long term at all, and whether that would attract miners. I personally think that DigiByte would do better if every DGB was worth a little bit more than now, or even it's projected value. People don't want to think of 1000 DGB as a dollar, they'd rather think of 100 DGB as one. It could most likely easily be argued that over time, this will happen naturally. I can see that.

The problem after that is making everyone upgrade they're clients. This is something that will have to happen if Kimoto Gravity Well is implemented anyways, so if a change like this is to be done it should be done with that.

Once again, I don't have a great grasp of how the blockchain works. So it might not be possible to make 4x the blocks while cutting the rewards into a fourth.

Anyone have any good suggestions on where I can learn about how cryptos work under the hood?

Oh yeah, and how's the pool going? Lots of meticulous work reading through logs, I'd guess. But keep up the good work  Cool

Seems you get the essence of the concept I was talking about - however increasing the number of blocks means that we all die right around the time DGB finally matures into a stable end-of-life crypto Grin

mintzone

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:46:43 AM

I too am all for implementing the gravity well, but see no need to lower the block reward. The goal is, after all, to increase the difficulty but to do it in a sustainable manner, slowly building over time. Lowering the reward may well drive away a portion of the network we are trying so hard to build up. 

The gravity well should have no effect on price but lowering the reward would put the markets into a state of flux, which is not a good idea in my opinion. So saying, if enough people see Kimoto as the primary means of preserving Digibyte's future then we should see a small but significant price rise upon implementation.
I don't see how it would drive people away. If anything, people who have been mining since the beginning would be ecstatic that their coins are worth that much (And hopefully not dump them... That would be an issue) and most likely continue to mine DGB if they can keep their profits near the same as before the reward reworking. I also don't see how it would keep people away from DGB. They would look at DGB and check it's profitability, then if it works for them, they'd mine it.

The only problem would be if the price didn't scale with the reward change.

If the reward were to be changed, it should be changed before we hit cryptsy. Once DGB gets listed, it should receive some more mining attention!

Or it could just be ignored, but I don't think that will happen... Or hope at least Sad

Everyone seems to be asking for Kimoto and the rest of the cryptos are implementing it, so I think it's a necessary evolution in DGB  Smiley
Perhaps it's a necessary innovation in crypto. Multipools seem to be fairly disliked among a lot of people (Specifically miners who get affected by difficulty hikes)

Anyways, I have very high hopes for this coin, and will be sticking around for the long run, and I know most of you will be too  Grin

mintzone

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:49:54 AM

Seems you get the essence of the concept I was talking about - however increasing the number of blocks means that we all die right around the time DGB finally matures into a stable end-of-life crypto Grin

Why is that? Huh
Sounds pretty disastrous, though Shocked
I would like to avoid a situation where we all die, afterall! Grin

Pages: « 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... 1832 »
  Print  

Jump to: