Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:25:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange accidentally sent 512 bitcoins after coding error  (Read 35439 times)
Blackout

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:28:45 PM

I tried shaving with Occam's Razor and I cut myself.

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:29:31 PM

Dude, I like Occam's razor too.  Care to explain MyBitcoin in terms of Occam's Razor?

It's hardly relevant to the thread, but sure. Scam from the beginning to the end, as shown by the extreme caution being taken by the operator in setting everything up through anonymous proxies (not only network, but registration etc). I'm impressed by the foresight though.

(The only other logical explanation that would be Occam-compliant was that the operator had had an accident, but than one fell through by the mysterious come back and 49%-promise)
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 06:39:24 PM

Dude, I like Occam's razor too.  Care to explain MyBitcoin in terms of Occam's Razor?

It's hardly relevant to the thread, but sure. Scam from the beginning to the end, as shown by the extreme caution being taken by the operator in setting everything up through anonymous proxies (not only network, but registration etc). I'm impressed by the foresight though.

(The only other logical explanation that would be Occam-compliant was that the operator had had an accident, but than one fell through by the mysterious come back and 49%-promise)

OK, so you have multiple Occam's compliant explanations.

However...

Occam's Razor is great and all but it's subject to revision with new evidence.  One of the problems here is the source of the evidence which also constitutes a "known fact,"or in this case, a "known unknown."  We've seen the chat log.  Great.  We know what it says.  But, we know that we do NOT know what the relationship is between BenDavis and Intersango.  We know what the chat says, but we also know that we do NOT know the relationship between any claim in the chatlog and factual evidence except for the 512 1 BTC transfers that can be tracked.  We have no 'known fact' of intersango's ignorance of the code, but only knowledge of the claim.  If this claim happens to be false, then it is in alignment with Occam's Razor (since scammers lie) and if the claim is true, it is still in alignment.

Unfortunately, a scenario such as this isn't the best place for Occam's Razor.
Blackout

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2011, 06:46:10 PM

Gillette came out with Occam's Mach 3 Turbo EXTREME Razor which is a little more complex and has more moving philosophies than its predecessor for a much closer shave in thought. 

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

defxor

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:18:14 PM

OK, so you have multiple Occam's compliant explanations.

=

Occam's Razor is great and all but it's subject to revision with new evidence.

Feel free to post again when you understand your own writings Smiley

(And have new evidence. "There might be things we don't know" isn't)
hightax

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 07:51:34 PM

Feel free to post again when you understand your own writings Smiley

(And have new evidence. "There might be things we don't know" isn't)

Irrelevant.  Occam's razor is simply the simplest choice out of the many choices presented.
FreeMonies

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 04:00:13 AM

Who's presenting these choices? You, you SA plant. Yes I've been to SA and know you're using an alias similar to Rick Lowtax Kyanka.

Cease and desist! 
coinonymous

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 04:26:58 AM

Gillette came out with Occam's Mach 3 Turbo EXTREME Razor which is a little more complex and has more moving philosophies than its predecessor for a much closer shave in thought.  

Heh, Occam's Razor slashes Gordian Knot.  Film at 11.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 06:00:56 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2011, 07:15:57 AM by bitlane

This COMPLETE BS.....

The Forum Mods/Admins could have EASILLY stepped in and cleared up a few things beore this got so out of hand.

Do you have any idea how many New users signed up, just to find their way into this thread because of where it was posted originally ?
Moving the thread could have helped immensly and cut down on the OBVIOUS double and most likely TRIPLE accounts now possessed by some, who might have not wanted to join into the conversation with already established usernames/accounts.

Sometimes people just like to be given the opportunity to prove that they are perhaps smarter than the next guy and the Legal Debate which has taken place is also nothing more than those assholes giving themselves a pat on the back for a quote well posted.....

Now that there is nothing more, no more legal jargon to post.....PEOPLE COME UP WITH THE SINGULAR ENTITY SCAM POSSIBILITY ?
Tinfoil hat time......

Are you guys serious ?

It's been confirmed that ONE PARTY HAS MADE A COMPLAINT. The SECOND PARTY HAS ADMITTED TO HAVING THE BTC AND NOT WILLING TO GIVE THEM BACK.

Is this the extent that people are willing to go to make things right ? Nothing but legal quotes in a forum thread ?

This just blows my mind.

May all of you who posted in favor of the receiver, suffer the same or similar fate.

defxor

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:41:58 AM

Do you have any idea how many New users signed up, just to find their way into this thread because of where it was posted originally ?

No, but it's likely I don't even see them. Since theymos implemented the "ignore user" functionality I've started using it extensively. Some well trolled threads become almost empty of posts Wink
indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 07:43:56 AM

This COMPLETE BS.....

The Forum Mods/Admins could have EASILLY stepped in and cleared up a few things beore this got so out of hand.

Moving the thread could have helped immensly and cut down on the OBVIOUS double and most likely TRIPLE accounts now possessed by some, who might have not wanted to join into the conversation with already established usernames/accounts.

Sometimes people just like to be given the opportunity to prove that they are perhaps smarter than the next guy and the Legal Debate which has taken place is also nothing more than those assholes giving themselves a pat on the back for a quote well posted.....

Now that there is nothing more, no more legal jargon to post.....PEOPLE COME UP WITH THE SINGULAR ENTITY SCAM POSSIBILITY ?
Tinfoil hat time......

Are you guys serious ?

It's been confirmed that ONE PARTY HAS MADE A COMPLAINT. The SECOND PARTY HAS ADMITTED TO HAVING THE BTC AND NOT WILLING TO GIVE THEM BACK.

Is this the extent that people are willing to go to make things right ? Nothing but legal quotes in a forum thread ?

This just blows my mind.

May all of you who posted in favor of the receiver, suffer the same or similar fate.

Your mistaken, more than legal quotes are happening in the real world. You just aren't privy to the details of  what extent people are going to to "make things right".
Thanks for your uninformed opinion.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 08:46:12 PM

Talk about a very profitable error to the (unintended) recipient :-)

If I felt sorry for the guy,I'd give the money back.If I think the guy's an idiot (like has a history of scamming/losing peoples money with poor quality code),then I'll keep it and he'll learn his lesson (sorry if that sounds unfair,but that's real life.People who do nothing wrong should definatly get the money back if it's a coding error though.I'll reserve the attitude for the scammers who deserve it)

Bankers profit all the time with bank errors,why shouldn't we? It's their fault we're in this mess.

If you don't like my opinion,then don't flame me,just say why not.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Stalin-chan

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 09:43:58 PM

This COMPLETE BS.....

Tinfoil hat time......

Are you guys serious ?

This just blows my mind.

I wouldn't put bitcoins on a public exchange, I also wouldn't write the software for an exchange unless I knew what I was doing.
Blackout

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 02:26:23 AM

Talk about a very profitable error to the (unintended) recipient :-)

If I felt sorry for the guy,I'd give the money back.If I think the guy's an idiot (like has a history of scamming/losing peoples money with poor quality code),then I'll keep it and he'll learn his lesson (sorry if that sounds unfair,but that's real life.People who do nothing wrong should definatly get the money back if it's a coding error though.I'll reserve the attitude for the scammers who deserve it)

Bankers profit all the time with bank errors,why shouldn't we? It's their fault we're in this mess.

If you don't like my opinion,then don't flame me,just say why not.

In Monopoly of the future, will there be a:

"Bitcoin error in your favor, collect $4000 dollars"

because of this?

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:14:38 AM

because of this?

It seems to be more appropriate for such a card to be specified in terms of bitcoins than any region-specific or controlled currency.  However, nice idea for bitcoin monopoly.  Perhaps someone (or several someones) can take initiative to contact Hasbro and work with them to prepare and establish a 'bitcoin monopoly' board game.  Otherwise perhaps a Chinese monopory rook-arike?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 07:58:36 AM

because of this?

It seems to be more appropriate for such a card to be specified in terms of bitcoins than any region-specific or controlled currency.  However, nice idea for bitcoin monopoly.  Perhaps someone (or several someones) can take initiative to contact Hasbro and work with them to prepare and establish a 'bitcoin monopoly' board game.  Otherwise perhaps a Chinese monopory rook-arike?

"Exchange Coding Error - collect 2^9 - 1 BTC"

other cards include:

• Grid Blackout - your mining farm is offline for an hour - pay 10 BTC per mining farm
  • Bank Fraud - pay 51% of your cash
  • HELLO MY DEAR FRIEND, PLEASE HELP, I NEED TO GET RID OF USD 10,000,000
  • You bought a product using Bitocin - roll dice: odd number: you receive goods, even number: you've been frauded, pay 5 BTC
  • Rollback - each players last action is annulled

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 12:37:22 PM

because of this?

other cards include:

• Grid Blackout - your mining farm is offline for an hour - pay 10 BTC per mining farm
  • You bought a product using Bitocin - roll dice: odd number: you receive goods, even number: you've been frauded, pay 5 BTC

From sale of stock you get $50 => From sale of socks you get 50 BTC.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:05:02 PM

other cards include:

From sale of stock you get $50 => From sale of socks you get 50 BTC.

Repost this to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=42459 and continue discussion there ^_^
hightax

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:28:08 PM

because of this?

If phantomcircuit was worthy of keeping his customers' bitcoins, they would write code that doesn't give it away freely.
calmindifference

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 01:19:49 PM

If I was writing exchange software I should sure as hell be following test driven development and also implementing runtime assertions with preconditions and postconditions to ensure all operations were checked before execution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: