Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:00:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130268 times)
Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:02:03 PM

Casasicus, I might have to buy some more coins from you then.  I wish though it were possible to make my own coins with the holograms though.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elxiliath

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM

Also Casasicus, Memorydealers seems to no longer sell any of the coins for fiat currency, any idea on that?

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 12:37:36 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2012, 12:52:31 AM by casascius

Also Casasicus, Memorydealers seems to no longer sell any of the coins for fiat currency, any idea on that?

I have never explicitly asked why not, but it seemed kind of obvious, there were a lot of things that led me to guess that it probably wasn't worthwhile, and that his "opportunity cost" to promote Bitcoin might be better expended doing much of what he does now.

The fact that I didn't have a lot of markup to offer, coupled with seeing his resources tied up having to filter an endless stream of fraudulent orders, probably made it a big hassle.  His shipping department is best suited for cranking out shipments of high-value computer parts - favoring expensive heavy boxes as packaging, FedEx over postal mail, employees trained to get serial numbers, prepare packing slip/invoice, and take photos of everything going out the door as standard operating procedure... all of that is a pain in the ass and a major labor expense just to make 5 bucks on a bitcoin, and that's all before factoring in the customer complaining about the markup and the "unreasonable" shipping cost, being threatened by PayPal (it happened), and having to deal with almost guaranteed chargebacks.  Oh and I definitely can't forget the fact that the web store had to be constantly updated every time BTC/USD would swing, and being slow to update on a huge upswing would result in large opportunistic orders that would be a pain in the ass all by themselves.

If he found selling my coins to be a waste of opportunity, I can't fault him for what he's doing instead: BitInstant is responsible for making it less necessary to sell for CC/PayPal in the first place.  If he could be said to have created a problem by letting his web store run out of Casascius Coins, he has more than solved it by helping to bring Bitcoins to thousands of locations in 30 countries, and at a better price too, given BitInstant's fees are a far smaller markup than the premium he had to charge at MemoryDealers to even consider selling the coins.

Nowadays, with BitInstant making bitcoins so accessible, someone "willing" to pay the equivalent of 130 BTC just to buy a 100 BTC bar with credit card is so likely to be fraud it's pointless to even offer it.  If there's a "right way" to sell Casascius Coins for credit card, it would probably be to offer ONE COIN at a decent markup, knowing the buyer is willing to pay a premium to own one or give it as a gift, and be willing to ship it only to the credit card billing address.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Elxiliath

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 10:22:40 PM

Thanks for the post Casascius. It's unfortunate that there are so many that attempt to scam others.  It really inhibits those with honor and integrity who would legitimately purchase one.  The point about bitinstant is excellent.  That's actually how I placed my last order with you.  I purchased bitcoins from them and I got my shiny coins!

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:13:40 AM

Any chance we could see a picture of the gold coin?  Grin
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 11:46:26 AM

Any chance we could see a picture of the gold coin?  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54845.0

kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:09:41 AM

received an order on friday, mike threw in a free fridge magnet, which was awesome.
might order again depending on how satoshidice treats me  Grin
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:41:32 PM

You should make some .1 btc plastic coins for us to throw in salvation army buckets this holiday

hi
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:52:34 PM

You should make some .1 btc plastic coins for us to throw in salvation army buckets this holiday

In the meantime you can always print some of the paper bitcoin bills at https://www.bitaddress.org to give out  Cool
I would, if I had a lamination-thing

hi
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 08:06:29 PM

Just as a heads up, I realize that many are looking to get these in time for Christmas, and expect to be shipping throughout the week as opposed to waiting until the weekends.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:33:09 PM

Just as a heads up, I realize that many are looking to get these in time for Christmas, and expect to be shipping throughout the week as opposed to waiting until the weekends.

So if I order today, It should get here before Christmas? (Texas)

Eh, Just put in an order for a few coins anyways.

Edit: I have my shipping confirmation from Friday, But USPS is still saying they haven't seen it yet. just curious, were you able to get my order in the mail on Friday? Or will it go out today?

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:43:17 PM

So if I order today, It should get here before Christmas? (Texas)

Eh, Just put in an order for a few coins anyways.

Edit: I have my shipping confirmation from Friday, But USPS is still saying they haven't seen it yet. just curious, were you able to get my order in the mail on Friday? Or will it go out today?

Anything I did on Friday will go out in the next 45 minutes or so (it's Monday morning).

Given that a lot of these orders are for Christmas, I am shipping throughout the week.

camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:54:04 PM

I'm interested in a physical BitCoin. But I don't care about being tied to a private key.... Just gold or silver coins minted as "bitcoins."

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
ataranlen

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:56:38 PM

Anything I did on Friday will go out in the next 45 minutes or so (it's Monday morning).

Given that a lot of these orders are for Christmas, I am shipping throughout the week.

I just wasn't sure, since I got the shipping confirmation at 1am CST on Friday morning.

jtibble

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 07:47:44 PM

Hey Mike, I just noticed this text on your website:

If you are selling Casascius Coins in your local area or for fiat currency, please contact me if you're interested in being linked from here.

I would be interested in being listed as a distributor. My localbitcoins.com profile is https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/jtibble/, and my listings there mention that I'm selling your coins. I only have a couple on-hand at the moment, but I'm interested in purchasing more if there's demand.

Cheers,
jtibble
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 07:58:59 PM

I would be interested in being listed as a distributor. My localbitcoins.com profile is https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/jtibble/, and my listings there mention that I'm selling your coins. I only have a couple on-hand at the moment, but I'm interested in purchasing more if there's demand.

I'm looking to list those who buy 50+ coins at a time and offer them for sale in other countries, or who are willing to sell for credit cards (such as with a limit of 2 coins, shipped only to cardholder address, and a healthy markup to make it worth their while).  A list of individuals willing to sell in person is out of scope for the list I have in mind, and would best be served by me linking to localbitcoins.com if that gets popular.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 09:23:33 PM

I'm looking to list those who buy 50+ coins at a time and offer them for sale in other countries, or who are willing to sell for credit cards (such as with a limit of 2 coins, shipped only to cardholder address, and a healthy markup to make it worth their while).  A list of individuals willing to sell in person is out of scope for the list I have in mind, and would best be served by me linking to localbitcoins.com if that gets popular.

i guess you mean sellers of original Casascius coins with hologram?

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 09:51:47 PM

I'm looking to list those who buy 50+ coins at a time and offer them for sale in other countries, or who are willing to sell for credit cards (such as with a limit of 2 coins, shipped only to cardholder address, and a healthy markup to make it worth their while).  A list of individuals willing to sell in person is out of scope for the list I have in mind, and would best be served by me linking to localbitcoins.com if that gets popular.

Mainly, yeah.  I mean, this is what someone buying 1 coin likely wants to collect, and this is the easiest to sell.  The coins without hologram are perfect for conveying bitcoins in the form of a coin at a low cost.  I have no objection to sales of the roll-your-owns, it's just that if I point traffic to you, those buyers are going to be expecting to at least see the hologrammed coins available.

If you want to exchange the roll-your-owns as credit toward hologrammed ones, I would be open to that.  I doubt you'll have problem selling hologrammed ones, as I charge 0.35 BTC (!) more per coin to buyers who want a quantity less than 10, and nobody has complained about the price, and buyers still place plenty orders for 1 coin, plus I have no shipping option that costs less than 0.4 BTC, even though 1 coin can be mailed in an envelope for less than 0.1 BTC.  The markup between my price-per-100 and price-each is definitely worth making them available if you're going to the trouble of stickering your own.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 10:41:49 PM

I'm looking to list those who buy 50+ coins at a time and offer them for sale in other countries, or who are willing to sell for credit cards (such as with a limit of 2 coins, shipped only to cardholder address, and a healthy markup to make it worth their while).  A list of individuals willing to sell in person is out of scope for the list I have in mind, and would best be served by me linking to localbitcoins.com if that gets popular.

Mainly, yeah.  I mean, this is what someone buying 1 coin likely wants to collect, and this is the easiest to sell.  The coins without hologram are perfect for conveying bitcoins in the form of a coin at a low cost.  I have no objection to sales of the roll-your-owns, it's just that if I point traffic to you, those buyers are going to be expecting to at least see the hologrammed coins available.

If you want to exchange the roll-your-owns as credit toward hologrammed ones, I would be open to that.  I doubt you'll have problem selling hologrammed ones, as I charge 0.35 BTC (!) more per coin to buyers who want a quantity less than 10, and nobody has complained about the price, and buyers still place plenty orders for 1 coin, plus I have no shipping option that costs less than 0.4 BTC, even though 1 coin can be mailed in an envelope for less than 0.1 BTC.  The markup between my price-per-100 and price-each is definitely worth making them available if you're going to the trouble of stickering your own.

shipping the coins back to you wouldn't be cheep, I'll keep them. thanks for the offer.
100coins for ฿112.00 is a good deal (wish this was offered b4 i bought the blank coins), but I'll have to pass.

ataranlen

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 05:31:07 PM

I've been watching the tracking for my order. Why the heck would it go from Utah to IL... I'm in Texas.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: