Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:02:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130268 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:19:30 AM

hi all (especially the sponsors)

the video is online for your evaluation. I panicked a bit and am not overall happy with the result but here it is for your review and accepting comments. I got distracted while playing with the redeeming part (lot of time passed since the first video was published). I spent some time but do not show in the video how I used pywallet script with a browser and https://blockchain.info/wallet but that might be a good material for sequels. I added the redeem only via mtgox as requested. In the first part I show two different block exploring sites checking the first bits of the bitcoin and that they show the same balance.

If you want I can retry and speak over the video once more and include your comments. Otherwise PM me for contact details.
It was my first video ever. I thought editing would be easier and / or I will use nice effects but now I'm happy it's finally done. Raw but hopefully useful. Again, I welcome 'constructive' feedback and could rework parts of the clip if needed. Just let me know which part is not clear or needs improvement.

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4eetGvQXE

Thanks for the update.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:42:36 AM

the video is online for your evaluation. I panicked a bit and am not overall happy with the result but here it is for your review and accepting comments. I got distracted while playing with the redeeming part (lot of time passed since the first video was published). I spent some time but do not show in the video how I used pywallet script with a browser and https://blockchain.info/wallet but that might be a good material for sequels. I added the redeem only via mtgox as requested. In the first part I show two different block exploring sites checking the first bits of the bitcoin and that they show the same balance.

If you want I can retry and speak over the video once more and include your comments. Otherwise PM me for contact details.
It was my first video ever. I thought editing would be easier and / or I will use nice effects but now I'm happy it's finally done. Raw but hopefully useful. Again, I welcome 'constructive' feedback and could rework parts of the clip if needed. Just let me know which part is not clear or needs improvement.

Thanks for the update.

Just finished viewing the video. Looks good! Where do I send your 0.5 BTC?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:45:53 AM

Good job.

Two minor complaints.

1) there's no explanation as to where you got the number to enter block explorer.  Watching the video it's not obvious it's printed on the coin.

2) You don't mention the website you're redeeming the coin on.  I can read it in the title bar but it would be nice if there was a better indication.

I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen people add notes to their videos after the fact taht show up as pop-up balloons.  If you could easily  just do that I think it would be awesome.  No need to re-record the soundtrack.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you met all the requirements, the above will just get you extra credit.  I'll PM you to discuss the payment of two physical coins.
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 08:03:02 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2012, 09:24:43 AM by mila

Good job.

Two minor complaints.

1) there's no explanation as to where you got the number to enter block explorer.  Watching the video it's not obvious it's printed on the coin.

2) You don't mention the website you're redeeming the coin on.  I can read it in the title bar but it would be nice if there was a better indication.

I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen people add notes to their videos after the fact taht show up as pop-up balloons.  If you could easily  just do that I think it would be awesome.  No need to re-record the soundtrack.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you met all the requirements, the above will just get you extra credit.  I'll PM you to discuss the payment of two physical coins.

Comments noted, to be fixed soon (some other night).
As I mentioned this was my first video ever so while I'll improve the synchronization of the spoken commentary with the video I will

1) add the description that the firstbits or address come from the sticker, they are printed on the surface

and 2) add a readable URLs in the video.

I'll see what parts I could remove from the video and work on the font size on the websites so that they are readable also at lover resolution.

Just finished viewing the video. Looks good! Where do I send your 0.5 BTC?

please see PM, I've send you an unique donation address

your ad here:
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 09:17:31 AM

You could add your bitcoin receiving address in the description.  Or a QR code in the video at the end -- so I can hit pause and scan with my phone.

It would show an example of how any Youtube video contributor can be tipped using bitcoins.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 11:01:54 PM

Violence in numbers?

I kid, I kid. Just wanted to say these look amazing! I'm also very glad I don't need to scan my passport to buy these. I'll likely be putting in an order for these soon or asking for some for my birthday!

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 11:51:45 PM

Any pics of the 5btc coins? Sorry if it's already been posted, and I just missed it.

hi
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 12:12:17 AM

Here you go! Smiley https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58669.0

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 12:16:34 AM

Nice, have a smiley face  Smiley

hi
Reecek

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:50:23 PM

careful for international shipping. memorydealers want to charge 60$ for a simple shipping to EU fe.
Wait till someone offers 6$ / 10$ shipping
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 02:31:35 AM

careful for international shipping. memorydealers want to charge 60$ for a simple shipping to EU fe.
Wait till someone offers 6$ / 10$ shipping
Don't know why it would be that high, I sent a coin to EU from USA for $1, but it was just taped to an index card in an envelope. Casascius should be able to do something in the middle. Go to usps.com, and see what the actual shipping is to your country from the US (use ZIP code 84604 if you need one to put in). You'll have to use US ounces and guess the weight of the total package (like 9oz for a 20x20x10cm box + coins)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 02:38:30 AM

A plain envelope is just too thin, too high of a risk of breakage in an automatic sorting machine.  My website will quote a shipping price on the items selected if you press the update button next to the shipping choice.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 07:33:27 PM

I noticed that you mentioned the keys are printed using an inkjet printer.  It's my experience that inkjet ink fades quite rapidly with time. ven more so in light. How safe then is the private key hidden in the 1 btc coins?

Aside from that... I bought a few 1 btc coins and they are things of beauty. As much for what they represent as what they look like (which is very professional).

I think the private key is pretty safe, and isn't going to see much light at all, even if you leave the coins in the sun.

Fading typically means a loss of color fidelity (think of photos of Grandma), not so much documents turning back into blank paper.  Choice of inkjet is deliberate.  If it matters, I always use genuine ink from the printer manufacturer, never knockoffs or refills.

I ordered a couple of real coins and a bunch of samples, to give out so people could start to get used to them, explaining they had no stored value when giving them away.
I recently washed my clothes (left the word launder out intentionally to avoid confusion).   and found I had left a coin in my pants.  The Public key was completely washed off and unrecognizable. many coins end up going through the wash.  The Hologram stayed on, I didn't check the private key, but would expect it to be ok.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 08:32:45 PM

I ordered a couple of real coins and a bunch of samples, to give out so people could start to get used to them, explaining they had no stored value when giving them away.
I recently washed my clothes (left the word launder out intentionally to avoid confusion).   and found I had left a coin in my pants.  The Public key was completely washed off and unrecognizable. many coins end up going through the wash.  The Hologram stayed on, I didn't check the private key, but would expect it to be ok.

That was most likely a series 1 coin.  The series 2 coin would probably still be readable.  On both series, the private key should still be good - that hologram adhesive does a good job of repelling water.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 11:49:57 PM

I recently washed my clothes (left the word launder out intentionally to avoid confusion).   and found I had left a coin in my pants.  The Public key was completely washed off and unrecognizable. many coins end up going through the wash.  The Hologram stayed on, I didn't check the private key, but would expect it to be ok.

That was most likely a series 1 coin.  The series 2 coin would probably still be readable.  On both series, the private key should still be good - that hologram adhesive does a good job of repelling water.
You might investigate an Alps microdry printer. They don't use inkjet, laser toner, or dye-sub technology (although they do dye-sublimation with a different set of cartridges). The ink is on ribbons, and it is melted directly onto the media (which also lets you print white, foils, etc). I've made iron-ons that look like thick silk-screening and certainly go through the wash many times. Blatant plug: I could be talked out of my printer since I don't use it much.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 12:20:37 AM

You might investigate an Alps microdry printer. They don't use inkjet, laser toner, or dye-sub technology (although they do dye-sublimation with a different set of cartridges). The ink is on ribbons, and it is melted directly onto the media (which also lets you print white, foils, etc). I've made iron-ons that look like thick silk-screening and certainly go through the wash many times. Blatant plug: I could be talked out of my printer since I don't use it much.

Do you have any print samples that would show off how cool such a thing is?  I remember googling that item long ago and always thought it looked interesting.  If you sent them to me (to my address on my website) and I could talk my wife into wanting it for her graphic design business, I might have an interest.

I wouldn't use it for physical bitcoins though, since I solved that problem with series 2.  The hologram factory did the overprinting on the series 1 hologram from a firstbits file I gave them, and they used ink that's fairly removable with friction and/or light solvents.  The series 2 hologram has the firstbits behind the hologram, showing through a window, and can't be damaged without damaging the hologram.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:51:19 AM

I remember color thermal printers in the 1980s. Would they (if they still) work?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 02:24:34 AM

Do you have any print samples that would show off how cool such a thing is?  I remember googling that item long ago and always thought it looked interesting.  If you sent them to me (to my address on my website) and I could talk my wife into wanting it for her graphic design business, I might have an interest.
The reason why they still command as much (if not more) used as they were new, is that nothing else under $10,000 can do decals like them:

It is an interesting machine, it prints all of one color, then sucks the page back in and prints the next color. Can be finicky and slow to do a 7-color print job though...
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 11:42:25 AM

Got two 1 BTC coins yesterday! They're nice and small, and look great, especially the sticker on the back!

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 12:27:03 PM

I always thought the stickers were on the front.  Learn something new every day  Wink

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: