Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:21:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130268 times)
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 10:01:48 AM

what I'm interested in... Does the private key also degrade?
I never opened a casascius coin, and all the coins I own are from 2013, so I'm not panicking. BUt I can imagine the private key could become unreadable. Does anybody know how it is actually stored?

Interesting question, I would not be surprised if the code is unreadable when your great grand kids try to redeem the funds next century.
But on the other hand, maybe we will never find out - who want to redeem a year 2013 Casacius in year 2100 just for the experiment, the coin could be worth millions (not talking about bitcoin price, but as an artifact).
(On the other hands "milions" of what? - also possible that dollars will not exist at that time...)

Personally I am a great fan of the silver Casacius, because not only do they carry a bitcoin value but also the value of silver.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:04:27 AM

I never opened a casascius coin, and all the coins I own are from 2013, so I'm not panicking. BUt I can imagine the private key could become unreadable. Does anybody know how it is actually stored?

There's a little circular piece of paper (there's a fitting sink in the brass coin for it to make the surface remain even). The private key is inkjetted on that piece of paper, afaik.

I have not the slightest fear it will degrade for the next 50 years, but cannot support this opinion with any facts.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:19:57 AM

Interesting question, I would not be surprised if the code is unreadable when your great grand kids try to redeem the funds next century.
But on the other hand, maybe we will never find out - who want to redeem a year 2013 Casacius in year 2100 just for the experiment, the coin could be worth millions (not talking about bitcoin price, but as an artifact).
(On the other hands "milions" of what? - also possible that dollars will not exist at that time...)

Personally I am a great fan of the silver Casacius, because not only do they carry a bitcoin value but also the value of silver.

millions of BTC?  Grin Grin Grin

I have a silver one that I would probably never sell or redeem (unless 1 BTC is 100000 USD and they offer me 10 BTC for the coin Tongue )
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:23:46 AM

millions of BTC?  Grin Grin Grin

I have a silver one that I would probably never sell or redeem (unless 1 BTC is 100000 USD and they offer me 10 BTC for the coin Tongue )

I have a silver one that will always be worth 10BTC+, because 10 is it's denomination Wink. It would hurt to have to redeem it, though, and I doubt it will be necessary.

At the time I acquired it, the silver and BTC values were roughly equal, btw.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:26:45 AM

Looks like I'll have to run these by my local coin dealer to see if he has any suggestions.
dnaleor
Legendary

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:35:13 AM

millions of BTC?  Grin Grin Grin

I have a silver one that will always be worth 10BTC+, because 10 is it's denomination Wink. It would hurt to have to redeem it, though, and I doubt it will be necessary.

When I first started investigating BTC (when BTC was around 12 USD, december 2012) I landed on the casascius website. I was a silver bug so no surprises there... I saw the 1oz 10 BTC coin and calculated that it had 50 USD premium (or something like that). Decided not buy one LOL. I didn't own BTC (only faucet dust) so this possible purchase could have me incentivised me to buy some actual BTC, but it didn't happen.
Then my exams came, and when I checked the price of 1 BTC again after the exams, it was >35 USD  Undecided

Still very happy I managed to buy some BTC below 100 USD. And I am happy I have a silver casascius 1 BTC now Smiley But I will never forget my strupid decision to NOT buy the 10 BTC coin...
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:39:11 AM

When I first started investigating BTC (when BTC was around 12 USD, december 2012) I landed on the casascius website. I was a silver bug so no surprises there... I saw the 1oz 10 BTC coin and calculated that it had 50 USD premium (or something like that). Decided not buy buy one LOL. I didn't own BTC (only faucet dust) so this possible purchase could have me incentivised me to buy some actual BTC, but it didn't happen.
Then my exams came, and when I checked the price of 1 BTC again after the exams, it was >35 USD  Undecided

Still very happy I managed to buy some BTC below 100 USD. And I am happy I have a silver casascius 1 BTC now Smiley But I will never forget my strupid decision to NOT buy the 10 BTC coin...

Well, I think most people have these stories of not getting into Bitcoin on first sight... I actually mined for 2 days in Mai 2010 with my laptop. It just got hot and not even BTC 0.01 would show up in my wallet... so I figured Bitcoin was crap and let it be. Damn.

On the other hand: had I gotten into it back then, I might've sold everying on the crazy bubble to $0.4 ;-).

Probably it was all good the way it went.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

When I first started investigating BTC (when BTC was around 12 USD, december 2012) I landed on the casascius website. I was a silver bug so no surprises there... I saw the 1oz 10 BTC coin and calculated that it had 50 USD premium (or something like that). Decided not buy one LOL. I didn't own BTC (only faucet dust) so this possible purchase could have me incentivised me to buy some actual BTC, but it didn't happen.

Should've been subbed to my newsletter,  Wink

Seems like yesterday. My last major buy was just over10  as i wasn't fast enough to grab the final dip to single  digits just under10.
LouReed

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:42:08 PM

If one wanted to avoid the expense and risk of ANACS, could one shrink rap a pile of these and successfully prevent oxidation that way?  Or even a simple zip lock bag?

I would imagine you could most definitely seal them with a food saver and they'd be good to go.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:49:35 PM

If one wanted to avoid the expense and risk of ANACS, could one shrink rap a pile of these and successfully prevent oxidation that way?  Or even a simple zip lock bag?

I would imagine you could most definitely seal them with a food saver and they'd be good to go.

I'm pretty sure this is what I'll end up doing as the ANACS process seems expensive to me and quite frankly I wouldn't trust them. I realize there doesn't seem to be a fool  proof way to get at the private key but you never know. In this way I see it as a  different risk to sending in a gold  coin for instance.
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 01:00:33 PM

I have sold off all my duplicates, but will always keep some Casascius stuff  Cool  I even have a really rare 1 of a kind item signed by Mike hanging on my wall.  Casascius is for sure a cool part of BTC

I need to understand something.

Is it your contention that these coins will somehow degrade in quality over time and one needs to have them sealed in a container? Is the value also enhanced by getting a  grading from this ANACS organization even though it seems expensive?

They will indeed degrade, both the brass and silver coins, without being in a container (unless, perhaps, they're in some temp/humidity controlled room). Specifically, if there are finger prints on the brass coins, the metal will tarnish (in the pattern of the finger print) after about 6 months... And if the silvers are exposed to humidity, they also tarnish.

It holds up pretty well. I opened a few of them about two years ago and they were perfectly legible. Since it's an airtight seal, I don't see how it would be a problem. Maybe it would need to be opened in a controlled environment if we are talking hundreds or thousands of years from now.  Wink
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 01:32:15 PM

I would assume if you keep the coin in an air-tite the private key would be good for a very very long time.  The main thing that huts the coins is being handled not air (oils from your hands causes all the tarnish).
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 01:33:41 PM

I'm pretty sure this is what I'll end up doing as the ANACS process seems expensive to me and quite frankly I wouldn't trust them. I realize there doesn't seem to be a fool  proof way to get at the private key but you never know. In this way I see it as a  different risk to sending in a gold  coin for instance.

You can have these graded for as low as $19 per coin (3-4 week turnaround).  For a coin worth $700+ I do not think $20 is a lot to spend on it.
bithalo
Legendary

Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:05:32 PM

I asked this question before in its own thread, so I hoped one of you might know.

The ANACS website mentions that one has to submit coins in Mylar flips.  Some of my coins are in Airtite capsules, and others came in stapled cardboard squares, which I would prefer to keep in while being shipped. I would prefer ANACS open them once they receive them.

The flips seem like they could cause marks to the coin pressing against it, and the hologram could stick to the plastic flip.

Has anybody sent a coin in something other than a mylar flip to ANACS to be graded, and if so, was it accepted?

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 05:13:25 PM

I asked this question before in its own thread, so I hoped one of you might know.

The ANACS website mentions that one has to submit coins in Mylar flips.  Some of my coins are in Airtite capsules, and others came in stapled cardboard squares, which I would prefer to keep in while being shipped. I would prefer ANACS open them once they receive them.

The flips seem like they could cause marks to the coin pressing against it, and the hologram could stick to the plastic flip.

Has anybody sent a coin in something other than a mylar flip to ANACS to be graded, and if so, was it accepted?

Yeh, I send them in Coin Capsules or even plastic ziplock bags.

They just dont want you to send it plain in an envelope.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
wafdawg

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:25:53 PM

I submitted my coin at the Long Beach Coin Expo.  I had it in an airtite and the ANACS employee took it out and placed in a mylar flip.  That's just the way the do things. On the other hand, I submitted a bunch of coins for PCGS, mostly Pandas in OMP and i had to cut out the OMP but was allowed to leave them in the air-tites then place them in the mylar flips.  The truth is, if it wasn't for Casascious, ANACS would be totally useless.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 09:21:55 PM

Should've been subbed to my newsletter,  Wink

Seems like yesterday. My last major buy was just over10  as i wasn't fast enough to grab the final dip to single  digits just under10.

I remember changing my bearish tune at ~$13 (got back into BTC) and did another large purchase at around ~$17.50.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 01:51:39 AM

Anyone consider using ICG to grade these?
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 02:17:21 AM

Pretty sure that only ANACS will grade them.
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:38:25 AM

Where did these go?

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: