Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:58:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130268 times)
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:20:37 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2012, 08:45:18 AM by Otoh

Wise man say, "Only a fool buy investment on downtrend with no present indication of future uptrend."  Wise man also say, "Fool buy 1 dollar for 1 and 1/5 dollar, but smart man sell 1 dollar for 1 and 1/5 dollar."

Wise man additionally say, "Fallacy is not made truth by multiplied propagation, nor is truth made fallacy because no one will believe it."

Wise man further say, "Idea is good, but better idea is couple BTC code with useful goods.  A birthday card with BTC code is better than BTC code alone."

Wise man finally say, "Man who becomes outraged at expressed opinion will not be outraged if he does not identify with contrasting opinion."

since you're so "wise" douche, lets make a bet.  i'll bet you 100 BTC to be held in escrow that the price of BTC in USD terms one year from now will be higher than it is today.

Wise man say bet is inherently flawed.

Wise man see that if he wins, he does not win much.  Wise man see that if he loses, he loses much more.

Wise man also doesn't want BTC value to plummet and instead wants BTC to succeed.

Wise man thinks you create non-sequiturs from what wise man say.

oh wise douche, let me rephrase.  the bet to be 100 BTC OR $670 USD!

Just out of interest had your bet been accepted then you would have won as $11 today > $6.70 then

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg5zigWeeklyzczsg2011-09-06zeg2012-09-07ztgM

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 01:28:59 AM

Just got mine today. Friends and family are slightly agog that there's a physical object that can be attached to the "computer money" (as one of the kids call bitcoins). Mike is an asset to this community.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:48:00 PM

Just got mine today. Friends and family are slightly agog that there's a physical object that can be attached to the "computer money" (as one of the kids call bitcoins). Mike is an asset to this community.
Magic Internet Money

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Severian

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:50:39 PM

Magic Internet Money

The kids were quiet when they were looking at it. Magic, indeed.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 05:25:31 PM

Someone seems to be doing me the favor of scanning my site for web vulnerabilities with a scanning tool.  How flattering!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Severian

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:02:00 PM

Someone seems to be doing me the favor of scanning my site for web vulnerabilities with a scanning tool.  How flattering!

Script kiddies or a higher order?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:02:24 PM

Someone seems to be doing me the favor of scanning my site for web vulnerabilities with a scanning tool.  How flattering!

lol, like you had a wallet there or anything else critical..

EDIT: haha, or maybe someone wants to sql-inject himself a couple of physical coins.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:07:05 PM

Lots of the queries are trying to find sql injections, unescaped javascript, access to the filesystem, etc, many of them are trying to get my site to MD5hash the string "acunetix_wvs_security_test" which I guess tells me the tool being used.

I obliged by adding the MD5 hash it's looking for, just as static text to the page when served to the offending IP, so now they will probably get thousands of false positives.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Severian

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:12:52 PM

I obliged by adding the MD5 hash it's looking for, just as static text to the page when served to the offending IP, so now they will probably get thousands of false positives.

Give the people what they want: always a good policy.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:06:42 PM

Lots of the queries are trying to find sql injections, unescaped javascript, access to the filesystem, etc, many of them are trying to get my site to MD5hash the string "acunetix_wvs_security_test" which I guess tells me the tool being used.

Win Cheesy

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 08:36:31 PM

So, I apologize if this has been discussed already (please point me to the link if so)... but do physical bitcoins really need to the private key to work? Obviously, by removing the private key, you remove an important feature from the Casascius coins... but it seems that as long as it is possible to look at the public address (which is on the coin) and verify that the Bitcoin hasn't been spent... then the system of physical bitcoins could still work. Thoughts?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 08:40:18 PM

So, I apologize if this has been discussed already (please point me to the link if so)... but do physical bitcoins really need to the private key to work? Obviously, by removing the private key, you remove an important feature from the Casascius coins... but it seems that as long as it is possible to look at the public address (which is on the coin) and verify that the Bitcoin hasn't been spent... then the system of physical bitcoins could still work. Thoughts?

The idea is that by transferring the physical object you are transferring all ability to access the digital bitcoin backing the coin. Without that, you are just transferring a piece of metal. Would you pay $11 for a piece of metal that costs under $1?

chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 08:44:47 PM

The idea is that by transferring the physical object you are transferring all ability to access the digital bitcoin backing the coin. Without that, you are just transferring a piece of metal. Would you pay $11 for a piece of metal that costs under $1?

Hmmm... people have traded stranger things (like big, immovable rocks). As long as it was not possible to counterfeit, and you could prove ownership, it can still work. Although, as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that anybody can make a metal coin with the public address, thereby making my hypothetical system trivially easy to counterfeit.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:52:49 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 09:06:51 PM by Otoh

The coins have the private key under a hologram that shows if they have been exposed, if the hologram is intact then assuming that you trust Casascius's process then you can be sure that it's only the person who holds the coin that has access to them, just looking at the public address means nothing if at any time anyone else has had access to the private key unless it's Casascius who everyone using his coins trusts, the private key is what it's all about & it can never be exposed except when the coins are spent/transferred other than physically - the Cas coins only work because one can see that the embedded private key has not been exposed. The public address & it's balance is worthless if the private key has been exposed, or even if ppl suspect that it may have been exposed.

The embedded private key is never removed & can not be as it controls the true value of the coins as shown on the public key, it is known to be part of the coin & tamper proof.

Think of the public key like an open view of how much is in a bank account & the private key as the PIN number/code needed to move that balance anywhere you choose, a coin without the private key is worthless.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Severian

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:28:23 PM

Hmmm... people have traded stranger things (like big, immovable rocks).

Bitcoins are a modern version of Yap money if you think about it.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:24:11 PM

This has so much win it isn't even funny.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:22:27 PM

Just got my order of coins!!  Grin Cool Very excited.

I like the look of the 5 BTC coin more than the 1 BTC coins... but the 25 is easily my favorite... it is giving my kilo silver coin a run for it's place as my favorite coin!

Great job Casascius.  Kiss
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 04:55:07 AM

Mike,
Shouldn't you publish your correct gpg key id somewhere? I was just checking the fulllist.txt and it does verify but if someone intercepted it and changed the addresses couldn't they sign it with a fake key that still verifies fine?

I looked around and didn't see it anywhere. So I ended up just using gpg --recv-key F1175A23 and then --verify. This doesn't actually prove anything since I can't be sure that is your key id.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 12:51:58 PM

Mike,
Shouldn't you publish your correct gpg key id somewhere? I was just checking the fulllist.txt and it does verify but if someone intercepted it and changed the addresses couldn't they sign it with a fake key that still verifies fine?

I looked around and didn't see it anywhere. So I ended up just using gpg --recv-key F1175A23 and then --verify. This doesn't actually prove anything since I can't be sure that is your key id.

This provides access to the key usable for this, doesn't it? http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=Casascius - click "GPG Identity"

If not, then sure I will.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 01:20:29 PM

This provides access to the key usable for this, doesn't it? http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=Casascius - click "GPG Identity"

If not, then sure I will.
Yes, that one is 5A2EE8F1 F1175A23 - which is the same.
Thanks. Didn't see it before.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: