Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:52:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 [627] 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722496 times)
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:18:35 PM

Those that want anonymity for nefarious reasons will still use the coin. They will give a price boost to darkcoin when darksend is ready. But they are not the target audience, IMO.

I'm a broken record here, but IMO they might not be the target audience, but they will be the ones who have the ability to increase price based on adoption.

Really then please explain who is the target audience and what is the target use? "People concerned about privacy". What does this mean? How will the coin be used in "private" on a large scale? Those who wish DRK adoption to the general public, that's all fine and good but DRK's main selling point doesn't matter to the majority of potential users.

I use Bitcoin for 3 purposes: 1. Hold for future appreciation, 2. Redeem for fiat, 3. Buy non-illegal stuff online (TigerDirect, etc.).

So what do i care about being private? For #3. I HAVE TO GIVE SHIPPING INFO. I think i'm generally in the mainstream when it comes to crypto, i use it, i invest in it, i believe in it, but I don't care about being anonymous.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but please, give me some idea of what non-illegal transactions that it would be imperative to use DRK (and primarily DRK) for?

I just think it's naive to think that DRK can somehow gain mass appeal without -first- being adopted by those who want to buy their pot.

If you don't see how darksend can benefit the general public, you won't have any problems posting a history of all transactions from your current bank account, or all bank accounts you have ever had for that matter. Sure, bitcoin addresses do not necessarily have a direct link to any individual or organisation, but in many cases it would be easy enough to establish the owner of the wallet, especially if the information is posted in a public forum. If somebody has your address they can see all transfers in the blockchain and may be able to establish who you have done business with. If legitimate businesses accept bitcoin a lot of them would probably want to keep the same address, so payments aren't sent to the wrong address, causing problems with their clients. In many cases it might not be important but many people are not such exhibitionists that they wish for their finances to be public information.

+1

If we are in a buy / sell transaction, and I can see your purchase history and how much you have, I can gain an advantage over negotiations.

There are thousands of reasons why financial privacy is essential.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:21:18 PM

I've been following the discussion on the x11 thread ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=556277.180 ) and there were two interesting highlights - at least interesting to me:

1. A guy estimates that it'd take a few months and a 50k cost to roll out ~300MH FPGAs for x11, with 2k per board cost: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=556277.msg6077250#msg6077250

If this happens, diff will make block reward go to 5 pretty quickly (and reducing the number of coins perhaps?)

2. Scrypt-N is already ASICable with an ASIC miner that seems to be able to handle N-factors up to 35 years ahead:

http://blissdevices.com/tech-specs/

"Scryptr also provides a high level of flexibility to support mining of newer coins that are “fairer” to miners such as Vertcoin by allowing configurable Scrypt parameters. Also, the chip’s PCIe interface enables faster and greater data transfer speeds, if and when new algorithms require more network data."

http://www.reddit.com/r/scryptmining/comments/20x6r0/bliss_devices_announces_new_prices_on_scrypt/cg8xcd6

"Our chip supports configurable N parameters which allows it to mine N-factor scrypt up to N=262144, which is still about 35 years away."

Also from their faq:

Can Neon mine for Bitcoins?
No, unfortunately Scryptr is dedicated and optimized for Scrypt mining and does not have a dual-mode

Can Neon support mining for Scrypt Jane or Darkcoin?
Scryptr is designed and optimized for Scrypt mining and not a general purpose mining chip.  For Scrypt Jane, only a small subset that uses a combination of SHA256 and salsa20 mix, but in general no. Darkcoin definitely not.

Years of experience with manufacturing processes, specifically new process development, force me to double if not triple every number that that guy said . . assuming he's telling the truth.

So that's a few months x 2.5, 50k development x 2.5 (probably more, but sticking with consistency), 300M# x 2.5, 2k x 2.5 seems more reasonable to me.

If that few months x 2.5 is even close to a year then that's not nearly as bad.

Plus getting that kind of hash out of my GPU's would easily cost me above $50k in just computer parts . . so in comparison thats a far cry more reasonable than the scrypt asic field.

Even more importantly though, is what was ACTUALLY said in the thread (emphasis mine):

Numbers out of thin air for FPGA route  - I'd expect 300 MH/s X11 algo board with 6 Spartan 6 LX150 chips to be developed in half of year with 50000 USD development cost, production price would be something like 2000 USD per board. (Anyone with actual field knowledge is welcome to correct me!)

So he has actually no idea if those numbers are real, and frankly, while I am no expert either, they seem quite unrealistic to me.

A 300 MH/S scrypt asic goes for ~$2,500, so there is no way an X11 could go for the same price.

Additionally, at the moment, the market cap of scrypt coins is about 250 times greater than X11 coins. Even if the $50,000 development cost number was correct, that is 3% of the current market cap! That is an insanely high risk to reward ratio for a company to take.

tl;dr: I'm not expecting an X11 asic anytime soon. Whether it is good or bad is a whole other debate.

Darkcoin has one big advantage, so far, over bitcoin. Darksend.

Is there a way to migrate to another algo in say 3 years time and give everyone 1 years notice of the change so that it is not a complete surprise?

That way, darkcoin would have two advantages over bitcoin.

ASICs would become a risky proposition if there is constant change.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:27:31 PM

As slick as the black & white logo is, I think it sends the wrong message. It says, "we're trying to look badass". To me, it's the style of logo better suited to companies targeting a youth market, like energy drinks or extreme sports or gaming peripherals. In the context we're competing in (finance), it makes us look unprofessional/young/inexperienced, or like we're overcompensating.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=extreme+sports+logo&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

http://breezycreativedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mother-energy-drink-logo-design.jpg

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/razer-hd-61537.jpg

No-one can deny that these don't all look cool. But they're not suited to finance, where trust & reliability are super important.

I love the black & white logo, I think that it looks pretty good while being simple nothing like unprofessional/young/inexperienced (like an energy drink logo quite the opposite). Does the Bitcoin logo look more professionnal for me ? No.
"we're trying to look badass" ? No "we look badass" and professionnal.  Wink
organizer

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Those that want anonymity for nefarious reasons will still use the coin. They will give a price boost to darkcoin when darksend is ready. But they are not the target audience, IMO.

I'm a broken record here, but IMO they might not be the target audience, but they will be the ones who have the ability to increase price based on adoption.

Really then please explain who is the target audience and what is the target use? "People concerned about privacy". What does this mean? How will the coin be used in "private" on a large scale? Those who wish DRK adoption to the general public, that's all fine and good but DRK's main selling point doesn't matter to the majority of potential users.

I use Bitcoin for 3 purposes: 1. Hold for future appreciation, 2. Redeem for fiat, 3. Buy non-illegal stuff online (TigerDirect, etc.).

So what do i care about being private? For #3. I HAVE TO GIVE SHIPPING INFO. I think i'm generally in the mainstream when it comes to crypto, i use it, i invest in it, i believe in it, but I don't care about being anonymous.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but please, give me some idea of what non-illegal transactions that it would be imperative to use DRK (and primarily DRK) for?

I just think it's naive to think that DRK can somehow gain mass appeal without -first- being adopted by those who want to buy their pot.

If you don't see how darksend can benefit the general public, you won't have any problems posting a history of all transactions from your current bank account, or all bank accounts you have ever had for that matter. Sure, bitcoin addresses do not necessarily have a direct link to any individual or organisation, but in many cases it would be easy enough to establish the owner of the wallet, especially if the information is posted in a public forum. If somebody has your address they can see all transfers in the blockchain and may be able to establish who you have done business with. If legitimate businesses accept bitcoin a lot of them would probably want to keep the same address, so payments aren't sent to the wrong address, causing problems with their clients. In many cases it might not be important but many people are not such exhibitionists that they wish for their finances to be public information.

+1

If we are in a buy / sell transaction, and I can see your purchase history and how much you have, I can gain an advantage over negotiations.

Again, this is not really giving me anything other than the "privacy" issue. In the current state of crypto, even Bitcoin can be considered a niche financial tool with limited acceptance (outside of the "crypto community").

In terms of mass-adoption, what do you need? Demand. What causes demand? The ability to use it to purchase services/goods or a likelyhood of appreciation.

I'm looking for scenarios on the demand side. I'm not discounting the end-goal of more privacy, I don't discount this is a good thing. My point above was to address the people who constantly harp on the "evil" side of things (drug deals, etc.). The privacy thing is great, but I don't think this is the reason BTC doesn't have wider acceptance (knowing that we're still in the infancy).

The point is I still think it's naive to think the privacy thing is enough to put DRK over the top while trying to avoid potential "bad transactions", because there simply aren't enough "good transactions" in the world of crypto.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:03:05 PM

Again, this is not really giving me anything other than the "privacy" issue. In the current state of crypto, even Bitcoin can be considered a niche financial tool with limited acceptance (outside of the "crypto community").

In terms of mass-adoption, what do you need? Demand. What causes demand? The ability to use it to purchase services/goods or a likelyhood of appreciation.

I'm looking for scenarios on the demand side. I'm not discounting the end-goal of more privacy, I don't discount this is a good thing. My point above was to address the people who constantly harp on the "evil" side of things (drug deals, etc.). The privacy thing is great, but I don't think this is the reason BTC doesn't have wider acceptance (knowing that we're still in the infancy).

The point is I still think it's naive to think the privacy thing is enough to put DRK over the top while trying to avoid potential "bad transactions", because there simply aren't enough "good transactions" in the world of crypto.

I think you are right in your analysis. however, it wasn't that long ago that computers were big boxes stuck in the corner of a room, with a big monitor and dial up.

In a short space of time the whole world has changed and life without the internet is unthinkable. Smart phones have more computing power than that used to launch space flights in the 60s.

We need innovation and that innovation should include elements that make crypto as easy to use without issues. Issues such as leaving a trail when you buy stuff or when you get paid.  Progress and increasing adoption follow innovation.

Mass adoption comes when the media starts to say - why aren't you using crypto?

Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:07:57 PM

+1

The anonymity of the transactions (via DarkSend) permits to offer the same properties of cash when we live in an almost cashless society.
zjz_lgd

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

zjz_lgd

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:25:30 PM

Dark is a good coin, and X11 is perfec.
I like this coin so much! Cheesy
some thing looks new in this!

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution, Share to moon! SbuXjdoiErjmAoGd3s4jcyEWiRifuorVv3
janos666

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:29:49 PM

I see this discussion about DarkCoin's popularity based on DarkSend and I am asking the question from myself (and now you): What will stop other coins cloning DarkSend one it's about of the BETA phase?
DuvajBalone

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:31:08 PM

lol. it is almost the same icon as android SmartStay Ex app
TanteStefana

Activity: 280

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:05:31 PM

LOL, I'll go for LimLims' eye too Wink

I have a problem.  I just sent 5 darksend payments and none of them seem to be going through.  The last time I did this, i gave up on it and got charged 0.1 drk for each misbehaving send when I finally closed my computer.  Several blocks have gone through since I started and yet, my darksends are still stuck at state 2.

I'm wondering if they will ever go through?  Is there something wrong?  I am using the latest (as in I just downloaded it fresh this evening in case it was updated) beta.  I really don't want to lose half a dark again, so I'll leave my computer on all night but I'm reporting this in case there is a problem that someone might look into??

Thanks Smiley

Been many hours now, and my darksends still haven't gone through.  Yet I know from last time, I'll be charged if I lose connection.  What should I do?

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
raze182

Activity: 163

A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal.

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:10:14 PM

As slick as the black & white logo is, I think it sends the wrong message. It says, "we're trying to look badass". To me, it's the style of logo better suited to companies targeting a youth market, like energy drinks or extreme sports or gaming peripherals. In the context we're competing in (finance), it makes us look unprofessional/young/inexperienced, or like we're overcompensating.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=extreme+sports+logo&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

http://breezycreativedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mother-energy-drink-logo-design.jpg

No-one can deny that these don't all look cool. But they're not suited to finance, where trust & reliability are super important.
I disagree. I don't really see the association with extreme sports, gaming, etc. I think it looks like a tech logo which I think fits well with the Darkcoin brand.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=tech+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aBtAU4aBIIWMyQGDiIGgCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1698&bih=958

Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
TanteStefana

Activity: 280

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:17:50 PM

I see this discussion about DarkCoin's popularity based on DarkSend and I am asking the question from myself (and now you): What will stop other coins cloning DarkSend one it's about of the BETA phase?

Nothing.  But it won't be seriously used unless it's open sourced.  You have to hope that we will have enough of a head start to make a difference. 

According to Evan our developer, the functionality is interwoven in the code, so it will not be a simple task to cut and paste it into another coin.  However, once completed someone could easily clone it.  That's what open source is about.

So what can be done?  Well, we'll need to get on top of marketing before it's finished I guess?

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:18:24 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 03:36:24 PM by eduffield

I disagree, I think it's the concept of the D that looks neat. I don't even think it's "badass", it just looks well thought out and professional.

(Imagine this except with that metal texture and higher quality -- I'm missing the actually source to this logo)

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:37:01 PM

I disagree, I think it's the concept of the D that looks neat. I don't even think it's "badass", it just looks well thought out and professional.

(Imagine this except with that metal texture and higher quality -- I'm missing the actually source to this logo)

When do we see the POLL? for the logo?
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 04:29:16 PM

I have a problem.  I just sent 5 darksend payments and none of them seem to be going through.  The last time I did this, i gave up on it and got charged 0.1 drk for each misbehaving send when I finally closed my computer.  Several blocks have gone through since I started and yet, my darksends are still stuck at state 2.

I'm wondering if they will ever go through?  Is there something wrong?  I am using the latest (as in I just downloaded it fresh this evening in case it was updated) beta.  I really don't want to lose half a dark again, so I'll leave my computer on all night but I'm reporting this in case there is a problem that someone might look into??

Thanks Smiley

Been many hours now, and my darksends still haven't gone through.  Yet I know from last time, I'll be charged if I lose connection.  What should I do?

Hmm -- I wonder if the server that pushes DS transactions through is up & running? I believe Evan did this for the DS testing, but not sure if it's up 24/7.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
RobRoy

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:37:36 PM

Since your port is not 7903, your node is not listed in http://drk.poolhash.org/ .
Backend crawler has no way to find out worker port of your node.

port changed..

http://coinminer.net:7903/

Fior Sirtheoir

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

Okay, I have my data saved for the QT in a specific folder, typically my desktop short cut points the QT to where to save. But since this last fork adding "-datadir" to the short cut isnt doing it for some reason. How do I change were data is saved in the client console ? Or ...?

Thanks in advance.
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 04:51:12 PM

Thanks Smiley

Hmm -- I wonder if the server that pushes DS transactions through is up & running? I believe Evan did this for the DS testing, but not sure if it's up 24/7.

It's down at the moment, I'm testing the code for masternodes on mainnet

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:00:14 PM

Thanks Smiley

It's down at the moment, I'm testing the code for masternodes on mainnet

if you forward me the script for that i can set one up to run 24/7

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
Tweek

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

CoinTweak profitability charts

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 05:42:11 PM

You can calculate your daily profit at the private calculator: https://cointweak.com/calculator/coin/drk

Coin    Difficulty    Coin reward/day    Exchange rate BTC    Exchange rate USD    Revenue/day    Days to create 1 BTC
Darkcoin   476.7400     2.28491832     Cryptsy ฿0.00141435    0.633470267806    ฿52.12462    $1.45    309.44

Pages: « 1 ... 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 [627] 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: