Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:04:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 [617] 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722505 times)
TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:37:27 AM

Well, we've been without internet all day, finally realized it was the modem.  Just got it replaced, and here I am again, LOL.

anyway, hope nothing but good news out there today?  Gotta go read!  LOL

Hello world!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:40:05 AM

Well, we've been without internet all day, finally realized it was the modem.  Just got it replaced, and here I am again, LOL.

anyway, hope nothing but good news out there today?  Gotta go read!  LOL

Hello world!

I was just about to send a search party out.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:50:27 AM

And Charlie is correct. ASICs can and will be built for x11 if Darkcoin or other x11 coins merit ASIC.

However there is one fundamental difference with respect to the approach for it. Evan is on record that he wants Darkcoin to follow the Bitcoin lifecycle of a good period of mining with household computing and then ASICs to strengthen and secure the network down the road.

The whole selling point of Litecoin was to be the ASIC resistant alternative to Bitcoin. That and increased rewards, reduced transaction times with ASIC resistance being the focus to rally the mining troops who couldn't compete with BTC FPGAs and ASICs. Given the nature of the business, I can see why they are having to embrace it though. They could have adopted x11 if they wanted to delay or really be anti-ASIC, but there is nothing like the power of money. In an effort to push the "silver alternative to bitcoin", they have to go big otherwise it is struggling to go anywhere.

I've been wondering about the silver to bitcoin's gold for a few days. It has taken a while, but this subservient approach seems to have worked so far for Litecoin and its acceptance amongst most except die hard bitcoiners.

Darkcoin is already being pigeon holed as the go to coin for buying drugs, guns, etc. That will put a lot of people off. It may be good for the coins value short-term, not endorsing it for illegal use, but maybe this holds things back and stops it getting higher up the price ladder than it could otherwise reach.

I've been wondering if we need something like bitcoin's anonymous e-cash or some derivative that borrows from bitcoin's brand to steer the conversation away from the silkroad type of affiliation.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:53:19 AM

Why the hell aren't people mining att lottery-mining? They are shutting down now because lack of users.

1% fee, with a fun lottery AND support for the community.

It's a scam pool.

and you still refuse to show any proof...

and i still think your the one that used the diff 0 hack... and since you dont think you need to show proof of anything, neither do i have to proof anything!

could someone please calculate how many blocks i would have to "steal" to get aprox 18000 coins that i have given away back.. why the hell would i give so many coins away, and then start stealing blocks as you keep saying.....!!

besides, chaeplin has shown you proof of no unaccounted blocks... anyone can go through ALL the blocks and see there is nothing hidden, no blocks missing

What, you're the guy who was scamming all of us who were mining at Lottery pool by submitting 0 diff hashes by  the butt load, taking a percentage of everyone's share, contributing nothing, and your angry because CHAOSiTEC, bless him, found out before you could withdraw?  LOL.

And you accuse CHAOSiTEC, one of the biggest Darkcoin supporters ever, of running a scam pool?

You've got some nerve buddy!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
blajde

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:56:49 AM

And Charlie is correct. ASICs can and will be built for x11 if Darkcoin or other x11 coins merit ASIC.

However there is one fundamental difference with respect to the approach for it. Evan is on record that he wants Darkcoin to follow the Bitcoin lifecycle of a good period of mining with household computing and then ASICs to strengthen and secure the network down the road.

The whole selling point of Litecoin was to be the ASIC resistant alternative to Bitcoin. That and increased rewards, reduced transaction times with ASIC resistance being the focus to rally the mining troops who couldn't compete with BTC FPGAs and ASICs. Given the nature of the business, I can see why they are having to embrace it though. They could have adopted x11 if they wanted to delay or really be anti-ASIC, but there is nothing like the power of money. In an effort to push the "silver alternative to bitcoin", they have to go big otherwise it is struggling to go anywhere.

I've been wondering about the silver to bitcoin's gold for a few days. It has taken a while, but this subservient approach seems to have worked so far for Litecoin and its acceptance amongst most except die hard bitcoiners.

Darkcoin is already being pigeon holed as the go to coin for buying drugs, guns, etc. That will put a lot of people off. It may be good for the coins value short-term, not endorsing it for illegal use, but maybe this holds things back and stops it getting higher up the price ladder than it could otherwise reach.

I've been wondering if we need something like bitcoin's anonymous e-cash or some derivative that borrows from bitcoin's brand to steer the conversation away from the silkroad type of affiliation.

I don't think what you are basing this on is even 5% correct
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:20:22 AM

Thanks for the very interesting discussion about pro&contra of ASICs and hashing algorithm changes in general. I got some new views on this topic I want to write down for myself and you Smiley

1) ASIC backed coins are better in the longterm
Running the network of PoW algorithms always uses a huge amount of energy with no other benefit than securing a cryptocurrencies network. To reduce the worldwide "wasted" power, it is significantly important that you use the most energy efficient hardware for this purpose.
Once a coin grew big enough that it starts to become a part of the global financial market, it also becomes more important to pay attention on the networks security. Because of this importance there will always be people that mine this unprofitable coin even at a loss.

This two points bring me to the conclusion, that a highly optimized, energy efficient mining chip is the best solution when we think big. That's just were Bitcoin is now, btw.

2) Algo switches are no problem if this is the spirit of a coin
Off course, not everybody can afford a $10k+ ASIC just for beeing part of the cryptocurrency movement. They want to use their $xxx cards and want to support/research other aspects of cryptocurrencies than mining and distribution. To see how their idea evolves in the wild with a real market and egoistic actors on it, you need a lot of time. This time is long enough to develope ASICs which make it impossible for the unwealthy people to continue their research from a financial aspect.
If there now would be a coin that has its focus on, let's say anonymity, then it becomes necessary that all interested people are able to stay an active part without disadvantages for all time being.
So if the developers propagate right from the beginning that it will switch the hasing algorithm from time to time for this purpose, there will be no problems in fork adoptions as everyone must accept this as an annoying side effect of his GPUs inefficiency.

Darkcoin is still a baby coin if you look at its age. It's born with two intesting aspects: anonymity and a new ASIC proof (for now) hashing algorithm twice energy efficient compared to scrypt. Because of the latter point I think here are many people around that could deal with hard forks as long as there will be well tested and platform independend mining software for uncomplicated switches.
goin2mars

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:22:29 AM

Discussion on x11 and mining it in general started up with legitimate discussion . . anyone that has the technical basis should chime in else it looks like the thread will implode.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=556277.0
goin2mars

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:48:43 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 02:20:17 AM by goin2mars

Thanks for the very interesting discussion about pro&contra of ASICs and hashing algorithm changes in general. I got some new views on this topic I want to write down for myself and you Smiley

1) ASIC backed coins are better in the longterm
Running the network of PoW algorithms always uses a huge amount of energy with no other benefit than securing a cryptocurrencies network. To reduce the worldwide "wasted" power, it is significantly important that you use the most energy efficient hardware for this purpose.
Once a coin grew big enough that it starts to become a part of the global financial market, it also becomes more important to pay attention on the networks security. Because of this importance there will always be people that mine this unprofitable coin even at a loss.

This two points bring me to the conclusion, that a highly optimized, energy efficient mining chip is the best solution when we think big. That's just were Bitcoin is now, btw.

2) Algo switches are no problem if this is the spirit of a coin
Off course, not everybody can afford a $10k+ ASIC just for beeing part of the cryptocurrency movement. They want to use their $xxx cards and want to support/research other aspects of cryptocurrencies than mining and distribution. To see how their idea evolves in the wild with a real market and egoistic actors on it, you need a lot of time. This time is long enough to develope ASICs which make it impossible for the unwealthy people to continue their research from a financial aspect.
If there now would be a coin that has its focus on, let's say anonymity, then it becomes necessary that all interested people are able to stay an active part without disadvantages for all time being.
So if the developers propagate right from the beginning that it will switch the hasing algorithm from time to time for this purpose, there will be no problems in fork adoptions as everyone must accept this as an annoying side effect of his GPUs inefficiency.

Darkcoin is still a baby coin if you look at its age. It's born with two intesting aspects: anonymity and a new ASIC proof (for now) hashing algorithm twice energy efficient compared to scrypt. Because of the latter point I think here are many people around that could deal with hard forks as long as there will be well tested and platform independ mining software for easy switches.

On 1. I can concede a bit from the previous stance that ASICs completely destroy decentralization in the sense it can provably allow large-scale growth after a sufficient amount of time has been spent without them growing the base network, and only a certain amount of decentralization is lost, and ASICs are not much more "profitable" except for energy savings in the sense that using two of them will give you 1000x more money than using two computers (or previous generation of network supporters), and the cost of purchasing them isn't an ungodly amount so that I might consider an investment. To this effect, the power won't be out of my hands for long . . and that I might be okay with. I feel like if nothing else this should be a balance where if the scales were originally tipped in my direction, they should be tipped in the other so long as they can once again be tipped in my favor.

On 2. I could never see no problems in a hard fork. There are always major problems in forking a coin. Again, my main example is Litecoin. The original spirit of the coin was that it was ASIC proof. After the stance switched to ASIC resistant . . people saw this as an open door to create new currencies and splinter off of the main fork. Now the stance is clearly neither of these as the ASIC machines are here . . and we're left with the core team itself addressing questions as to a hard fork amongst people making yet more of their own "asic-proof/resistant" forks. One concession leads to another which leads to another . . and this has pulled attention and value away from Litecoin and into a multitude of various Scrypt forks. My point is that the spirit of the community is not and never will be one unified spirit. Anonymity does not have to be part of your algorithm and I refuse to believe it will be. Take for example Bytecoin . . not the sha256 one but the real one based on CryptoNight.
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:37:39 AM

Anonymity does not have to be part of your algorithm and I refuse to believe it will be.

Are you referring to any forked failcoin, or DRK specifically?

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:44:40 AM

Any views on Charlie Lee, founder of Litecoin, on X11 being less secure than scrypt?

His comment:
https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=18166.msg153436#msg153436

Charlie Lee isn't saying X11 is less secure that scrypt, he's saying that switching his scrypt coin over to the X11 algo would temporarily make it resistant to ASICs again, which would lower the total network hashrate available.  In his mind, ASICs are still offering the ability to add more hashpower to secure the network, and it's fairly inevitable that they will come aboard anyway.

It would be a mistake to think that X11 (or any hashing algo) is immune from ASICs.  It's just temporarily raised the bar higher and it allows a fairer distribution because the ASICs for it don't exist yet.  

Eventually if the mining profitability climbs, then we should be glad to see ASIC development on the horizon.  Hopefully by then the companies making these types of specialty mining products will have ironed out their problems and have a more established reputation.  

I agree with this entire assessment. If it's math, a chip can be made to do it really fast. ASIC resistant is as good as you can get, and even then, ASICs are still inevitable. It's not a bad thing and I'm tired of the half-baked arguments against ASICs. I heard the same arguments back in the early days of BTC when people figured out they could use GPUs... "But I can't afford GPU, consolidating, hash power attack!" It's just the grumpy people who couldn't afford a GPU getting mad and trying to persuade devs to give them back their money hose...

SuccessCoin ignores this kind of bullshit.

DRK's difficulty rate increase is the thing that makes it most resistant, not the math itself. Math can be chipped no matter what.

If a coin makes it to ASIC stage, that just means it's been widely adopted enough to be worth it... It's a good thing.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:46:37 AM

On 1. I can concede a bit from the previous stance that ASICs completely destroy decentralization in the sense it can provably allow large-scale growth after a sufficient amount of time has been spent without them growing the base network, and only a certain amount of decentralization is lost, and ASICs are not much more "profitable" except for energy savings in the sense that using two of them will give you 1000x more money than using two computers (or previous generation of network supporters), and the cost of purchasing them isn't an ungodly amount so that I might consider an investment. To this effect, the power won't be out of my hands for long . . and that I might be okay with. I feel like if nothing else this should be a balance where if the scales were originally tipped in my direction, they should be tipped in the other so long as they can once again be tipped in my favor.

On 2. I could never see no problems in a hard fork. There are always major problems in forking a coin. Again, my main example is Litecoin. The original spirit of the coin was that it was ASIC proof. After the stance switched to ASIC resistant . . people saw this as an open door to create new currencies and splinter off of the main fork. Now the stance is clearly neither of these as the ASIC machines are here . . and we're left with the core team itself addressing questions as to a hard fork amongst people making yet more of their own "asic-proof/resistant" forks. One concession leads to another which leads to another . . and this has pulled attention and value away from Litecoin and into a multitude of various Scrypt forks. My point is that the spirit of the community is not and never will be one unified spirit. Anonymity does not have to be part of your algorithm and I refuse to believe it will be. Take for example Bytecoin . . not the sha256 one but the real one based on CryptoNight.

While I agree with many of your points I'm not sure if I understand what you want to say in conclusion.
That one concession leads to another is correct. But what will follow from that? Ignoring changing environments and stay at your roots till new currencies are multiple years ahead on a technical basis (and therefore also in security)?
In my opinion a coin that claims to be good enough for a substantial market capitalization (I mean here real living economy and not pump&dump) needs to take care of all technical developments and change its code basis significantly from time to time. There's no way around.

That said, a coin developer needs to decide whether he wants to create a coin for mass adoption and daily use, then he will be conservative and very careful in changing substantial parts of the code.
If you want to create a coin just for exploring a specific aspect without the desire of being the next Dollar, then much faster transformations are totally legit. Not every coin is made to be investor friendly or easy to use for non technical persons.

What I want to say is: each coin must decide what it wants to be.

This is a really difficult discussion as so many different aspect and arguments are coming in - hope I don't got lost in it  Embarrassed
bitcoinrulzz

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:09:41 AM

This seems very promising. where do I try out 0.9 based version?

Why is DarkCoin keep on changing versions... now version 10... when they are still on 0.8.6 code base.

This way, BitCoin should be on version 86.
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:11:20 AM

Not to pick nits, but how long ago was the name changed from XCoin to DarkCoin? The tray icon is still XCoin... How long would it take to clear that bit of low-hanging fruit? Just built the latest and that still give me a sad.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:27:49 AM

Discussion on x11 and mining it in general started up with legitimate discussion . . anyone that has the technical basis should chime in else it looks like the thread will implode.

Hardly a discussion. Just an anti Darkcoin thread in disguise. So that means we have 4 FUD agents/trolls confirmed till date. More exposure is always good although you'd hope positives outshine the negatives. That troll is nothing compared to trolls in the BTC wall thread, they will make you shiver if you have heavy fiat on the line. I believe he has had altercations on this thread or other places wrt darkcoin. You will not be able to reason with these types.

Apparently there are phantom miners out in the wild that are faster than publicly available miners. D'oh like that isn't the case with any other algo. And this is why x11 is bad haha

eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:36:33 AM

Not to pick nits, but how long ago was the name changed from XCoin to DarkCoin? The tray icon is still XCoin... How long would it take to clear that bit of low-hanging fruit? Just built the latest and that still give me a sad.

I was unaware of that. I'll fix it, thanks.

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:49:35 AM

Hardly a discussion. Just an anti Darkcoin thread in disguise. So that means we have 4 FUD agents/trolls confirmed till date. More exposure is always good although you'd hope positives outshine the negatives. That troll is nothing compared to trolls in the BTC wall thread, they will make you shiver if you have heavy fiat on the line. I believe he has had altercations on this thread or other places wrt darkcoin. You will not be able to reason with these types.

Apparently there are phantom miners out in the wild that are faster than publicly available miners. D'oh like that isn't the case with any other algo. And this is why x11 is bad haha

Of course. Because 1. they (ltc and CL) feel threatened from DRK's brilliance and 2. Getting lots of ASIC companies bribes/ donations/ under the counter hand outs (call it what you will its a bribe), is a good motivation to argue against an algorithm change. So rather than change algo, you therefore attack desired algo (X11), which most of the litecoin ppl were advocating for, with a mountain of FUD and nonproven conspiratory bullshit.

If those litecoin people (I have seen numerous threads requesting this) want to change their algorithm to X11 and their dev (CL) is too egotistical and corrupted beyond belief to change it well. I have a solution for you all. SELL LITECOIN, BUY DARKCOIN!
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:56:35 AM

If those litecoin people (I have seen numerous threads requesting this) want to change their algorithm to X11 and their dev (CL) is too egotistical and corrupted beyond belief to change it well. I have a solution for you all. SELL LITECOIN, BUY DARKCOIN!

Changing your algos around is stupid. It's not arrogance to refuse to change it. It's common sense. May as well keep changing your market cap every day. Or suddenly switch from PoW to PoS with no notice... Such drastic changes undermine the coin, especially a widely accepted coin.

There comes a point where you have to accept that the specs are carved in stone and futzing with it will only make it untrustable. Everything will be ASICed eventually. The people making their demands need to pull their heads out of their asses. They're just mad bro, they lost their money hose... Same old shit story.

Maybe he's egotistical and corrupted beyond belief. Is that not undermining trust badly enough already? Start juggling your algos and you may as well stick a fork in it.

But whatever. I'd be plenty happy to see them bail and shift to DRK. Even if it happens as a result of tug-of-war on the money hose. I'm pretty sure Evan isn't a punk that would go dicking around with it just because some whiny miners that couldn't afford the next step got mad bro.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
godzirra

Activity: 219

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:58:59 AM

Of course. Because 1. they (ltc and CL) feel threatened from DRK's brilliance and 2. Getting lots of ASIC companies bribes/ donations/ under the counter hand outs (call it what you will its a bribe), is a good motivation to argue against an algorithm change. So rather than change algo, you therefore attack desired algo (X11), which most of the litecoin ppl were advocating for, with a mountain of FUD and nonproven conspiratory bullshit.

I guess it really is that simple. From Lite to Dark.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:59:22 AM

The title of the thread gave it away a little with the capital letters only for the word "BULLSHIT".  Cheesy
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:07:19 AM

Did Evan ever update DGW2 in the beta wallet?  I just downloaded it again, but still can't sync.  Maybe it hasn't happened yet??

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Pages: « 1 ... 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 [617] 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: