Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:04:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 3659 3660 3661 3662 3663 3664 3665 3666 3667 3668 3669 3670 3671 3672 3673 3674 3675 3676 3677 3678 [3679] 3680 3681 3682 3683 3684 3685 3686 3687 3688 3689 3690 3691 3692 3693 3694 3695 3696 3697 3698 3699 3700 3701 3702 3703 3704 3705 3706 3707 3708 3709 3710 3711 3712 3713 3714 3715 3716 3717 3718 3719 3720 3721 3722 3723 3724 3725 3726 3727 3728 3729 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722497 times)
wozzek23

Activity: 1568
Merit: 283

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:32:01 PM

A MN flare runs for me dropped. He has not replied yet - I guess he's busy - but I am curious. After the node dropped I deleted peers.dat (as he told me to do it last time it dropped), started the wallet again, and tried a masternode start.

It gave me: Parse error: unbalanced ' or "
I successfully changed the password but the a message after a masternode start this time was: not capable masternode: Unknown.

Any idea what that means? Not that I worry, but in the ADD world I occupy, if flare does not respond in five minutes Smiley i start scouring the Net for answers. Than it downed on me, you guys know these thingies so please explain this issue to a poor n00b like myself...
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 03:39:20 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2014, 03:51:43 PM by eduffield

A MN flare runs for me dropped. He has not replied yet - I guess he's busy - but I am curious. After the node dropped I deleted peers.dat (as he told me to do it last time it dropped), started the wallet again, and tried a masternode start.

I successfully changed the password but the a message after a masternode start this time was: not capable masternode: Unknown.

Any idea what that means? Not that I worry, but in the ADD world I occupy, if flare does not respond in five minutes Smiley i start scouring the Net for answers. Than it downed on me, you guys know these thingies so please explain this issue to a poor n00b like myself...

Try using these binaries and let me know if it works: https://github.com/darkcoinproject/darkcoin-binaries/tree/4e12da9add6bedebf4f12cff0efe1a6b940df9c3

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 03:39:45 PM

We covered most of these things already, but it felt like an opportune time to remind people about the plans for the next DRK client :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/darkcoin-development-roadmap-for-early-2015
OnetyOne

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:55:42 PM

We covered most of these things already, but it felt like an opportune time to remind people about the plans for the next DRK client :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/darkcoin-development-roadmap-for-early-2015
Thanks for quick update, musta missed that Smiley
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:55:47 PM

Flare is online on DCT now.  I guess he is busy with .24 upgrades though.  He'll be in touch with you as soon as he can...
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 03:56:45 PM

Flare is online on DCT now.  I guess he is busy with .24 upgrades though.  He'll be in touch with you as soon as he can...

And hey, you might not have got a response from flare in five minutes but the big boss man himself replied instead  Grin
wozzek23

Activity: 1568
Merit: 283

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 04:01:04 PM

Sure, as I stated, I have less than zero problems with flare - he's a Darkcoin's treasure. But I was curious... and yes, he's there now, with a flu and has to deal with a n00b like me Smiley
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 04:10:24 PM

darkcoin finally getting real code review.  

Tens of bugs and vulnerabilities have been found in prior reviews. It will take some more time (and more eyes) to make it bulletproof.

Personally I think the whole Masternode payment system should be replaced by another cleaner system that works at the protocol level. No enforcement or centralization would be necessary, while eliminating forking risk.

Perhaps the spreadcoin dev might want to have a go at such a system.

Cleaner?? protocol level? What centralisation?  Whats clean about thousands of clients going on and off every second while trying to maintain rounds of anonymity? That would juts cause mayhem. What is unclean about blind nodes with 100% uptime? And what about PoService?

I dont get it.

I don't remember when you got on board, but prior to the semi-voluntary scheme of payments with enforcement threat, there was a direction of mandatory payments (100%) with no enforcement needed whatsoever. Unfortunately it caused forks in the production environment so then we got to a situation where some people were calling for no hard forks, others were in favor to get the job done - even if it includes a few more problematic forks as a byproduct etc etc. Then we got the spork and the rest is history.

There was NEVER a semi-voluntary scheme of payment. There was, on the other hand, a friendly suggestion to update clients to follow the development roadmap.

See, you've got your facts wrong. RC2, RC3 and RC5 and RC5 were all hard forks, which went wrong due lack of network reconciliation. Twice reconciliation was well underway, but Evan decided (quite responsibly) to pull the plug for the sake of taking a step back and making the code more resilient. Then the spork was invented, and yes, the rest was history. With every "blow", DRK gained exponential development. Necessity is the mother of invention.

And then we found evidence of foul play by some pools (which shall not be named). Pools are centralised, not MN's.

Decentralisation increases with each new MN going online.

I think we have a definition problem here. What I mean by semi-voluntary is the fact that the possibility of "foul play" is even possible.

The normal design should be in a way where if one attempts to cheat, he would be ousted by the networked / forked by himself. No going around "oh please pool X, update so that you pay 20% instead of 10% or 0%".

That's, IMO, where the project should be headed. I always regarded the current payment scheme as a temp fix* and thus bugs in it do not really concern me - as it is known to be suboptimal as a solution that should eventually be replaced with a cleaner and more robust system where the pools have zero power to cheat or not comply without forking themselves out (and which is not dependent on enforcement).

* Necessary to proceed with DarkSend development because anonymity got behind schedule after 2 months of development on the masternode payment protocol (May-June).
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 04:12:32 PM

RE: other coins with "great developers":

After what happened at moolah and Alex Green (AKA, whatever) I'm not comfortable with an anonymous developer.  No offence Mr. Spread, but that incident has opened my eyes.  I'll be much more cautious from now on.

Edit:  Not you AlexGR ^^^  LOL

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 06:24:33 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2014, 06:45:38 PM by qwizzie

some bot really likes the 0.00161 price on cryptsy...

edit : oops.. not price but the amount i ment, all these small amounts that its buying constantly.
a bot buy frenzy at work i guess.

edit : seems to have stopped now.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
onetime

Activity: 602
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:37:07 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 11:55:47 AM by onetime

Darkcoin Tutorial - How To Setup and Update Masternodes

-onetime

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:43:32 PM

-onetime

Awesome! Let me give you some views! https://twitter.com/darkcoinnews/status/544940799176491008

edit: Haven't checked in a while but I have 1700+ followers, awesome.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
onetime

Activity: 602
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:46:49 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 11:55:23 AM by onetime

-onetime
Awesome! Let me give you some views! https://twitter.com/darkcoinnews/status/544940799176491008

well thanks!, but can we put the video on Darkcoin's youtube channel so I can remove it from my personal youtube channel? and can someone please put the file I made somewhere else so it's not on my website? thank you!

-onetime

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:41:09 PM

I think we have a definition problem here. What I mean by semi-voluntary is the fact that the possibility of "foul play" is even possible.

The normal design should be in a way where if one attempts to cheat, he would be ousted by the networked / forked by himself. No going around "oh please pool X, update so that you pay 20% instead of 10% or 0%".

That's, IMO, where the project should be headed. I always regarded the current payment scheme as a temp fix* and thus bugs in it do not really concern me - as it is known to be suboptimal as a solution that should eventually be replaced with a cleaner and more robust system where the pools have zero power to cheat or not comply without forking themselves out (and which is not dependent on enforcement).

* Necessary to proceed with DarkSend development because anonymity got behind schedule after 2 months of development on the masternode payment protocol (May-June).

I dont really understand where you come from. MN payments is the core part of the idea behind the PoService and subsequent positive price feedback loop. If it werent for that and MN owners strong hands, we might definitely be down in the list of alt.coins. The whole point is to attract investors into providing a service and gaining revenue from it. In the same line as miners are incentivised for their work and electricity and gear.

If anyone forks out of existence, people are welcome and free to continue supporting that fork with that given protocol. Poeple who believe in a project will naturally follow it, its the nature of open source. There is a natural imbalance between pure profit pools (0% pay for instant profit) vs more sophisticated pools who understand how much more they will gain in the long run if they do support the development roadmap making the network stronger. And not every pool is liable for not doing X updates a week month. It is a bloody hassle, there I do get you. But it is what it is. DRK is not 1 year old! I dont see anything bad about being polite and warning pools about updating, especially if there is a hard fork involved.

Even though MN payout has gone from 10% to 30%, basically DRK price has consolidated, and not at all following BTC. 99% of altcoins went to crap, DRK still holds its own. Miners are still making the same revenue when paired with FIAT, which is the majority of their concern.

Where is that "...cleaner more  robust system where pools have zero power to cheat or not comply without forking...not dependent on enforcement...." - ? That just cant be done because if its not enforced, by definition they're free to not comply! The best thing ever is the spork itself! If they dont comply and screw the network, we can roll back safely no harm done to anyone, and back to the drawing board. This is a first in the crypto world and works like magic.

Call me biased, but I see DRK's reward solution quite elegant if not brilliant.
sangoku

Activity: 616
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 08:42:48 PM

-onetime

Wouahhhhh, thank you very much ;-)

DΛSH is digital cash. Transactions are obscured in the blockchain, making them private from the wallet. You can send Dash to family or friends, or pay for goods or services, anywhere in the world. DΛSH Anonymous and Untraceable. The Perfect Digital Cash And The Best Way To Protect Your Privacy https://www.dashpay.io DΛSH is 59.5 times faster with syncing and updating  than Monero.
My DΛSH Address: XgF6sNzGHU58dn36WsC16no9FHct6nPeZD
balu

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:46:34 PM

-onetime

well thanks!, but can we put the video on Darkcoin's youtube channel so I can remove it from my personal youtube channel? and can someone please put the file I made http://www.badbeatbag.com/darkcoinstuff/darkcoinstuff.zip somewhere else so it's not on my website? thank you!

-onetime

There you go: http://darkcoin.guide/data/how_to_setup_and_update_masternodes.zip
GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:47:44 PM

-onetime

Well done!! Haven't seen it but cheers anyways!

There was a bounty for this! Don't know if it has been claimed yet!  Wink Cheesy
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:52:07 PM

Where is that "...cleaner more  robust system where pools have zero power to cheat or not comply without forking...not dependent on enforcement...." - ? That just cant be done because if its not enforced, by definition they're free to not comply! The best thing ever is the spork itself! If they dont comply and screw the network, we can roll back safely no harm done to anyone, and back to the drawing board. This is a first in the crypto world and works like magic.

Initially (RC2/3) the protocol would ensure 100% compliance through a voting mechanism. The implementation had issues and it led to sporadic forks - and it was difficult to fix these issues due to the time required and the market pressure during the pump period of May/June.

Then, as a workaround, the power went to the pools and the enforcement switch which, as a workaround, is not the ideal way. Hopefully one day we'll get it as it was meant to be and it will not cause sporadic forks either.
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 08:56:30 PM

-onetime

Great job,  onetime!

The Darkcoin Chameleon does his best to spread the Dark word:

https://twitter.com/TaoOfSatoshi/status/544957459530792960?s=09

You are front and center on Get Into The Dark!:

www.rebelmouse.com/GetIntoTheDark

Cheers, and thanks for helping to #BuildTheDarkness!

GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

Initially (RC2/3) the protocol would ensure 100% compliance through a voting mechanism. The implementation had issues and it led to sporadic forks - and it was difficult to fix these issues due to the time required and the market pressure during the pump period of May/June.

Then, as a workaround, the power went to the pools and the enforcement switch which, as a workaround, is not the ideal way. Hopefully one day we'll get it as it was meant to be and it will not cause sporadic forks either.

You are 100% right.   Would ensure 100% compliance if the network gained consensus, which it didnt. If it had, the exact same issue would, and did, happen in RC4. IIRC, the the spork was invented, and that problem seizes to exist. Because of some pool's foul play, Evan was "forced" to innovate and created yet another solution, the spork. A non enforcing mechanism that politely lets pool ops to have their time to update, and when the vast majority of the network is in compliance, flip the switch, and whoever is out, forks out. Its the opposite, no power went to the pools. Free will and choice went to the pools.

It was indeed a workaround that instantly became a fabulous feature. Like in all coding history.
Pages: « 1 ... 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 3659 3660 3661 3662 3663 3664 3665 3666 3667 3668 3669 3670 3671 3672 3673 3674 3675 3676 3677 3678 [3679] 3680 3681 3682 3683 3684 3685 3686 3687 3688 3689 3690 3691 3692 3693 3694 3695 3696 3697 3698 3699 3700 3701 3702 3703 3704 3705 3706 3707 3708 3709 3710 3711 3712 3713 3714 3715 3716 3717 3718 3719 3720 3721 3722 3723 3724 3725 3726 3727 3728 3729 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: