Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:01:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 4251 4252 4253 4254 4255 4256 4257 4258 4259 4260 4261 4262 4263 4264 4265 [4266] 4267 4268 4269 4270 4271 4272 4273 4274 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 4280 4281 4282 4283 4284 4285 4286 4287 4288 4289 4290 4291 4292 4293 4294 4295 4296 4297 4298 4299 4300 4301 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 4307 4308 4309 4310 4311 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722497 times)
G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:25:54 PM

Dude can you stop with that already, that is different, there are a million things called Dash already, ISIS means nothing else, other than the egyptian goddess.

like Dash the symbol "-",

Dash the detergent ...,

DASH the store:

DASH earphones:

In that sense, it is not a problem

Caught this one today too, was about the most awkward picture ever taken. Pretty sure I swerved into at least a couple of lanes due to the excitement Cheesy :

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
_Scarab_

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:29:59 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2015, 11:07:59 PM by _Scarab_

Long time lurker and hodler here - bought the first DRK in early March 2014. Also am a happy owner of several masternodes that are running without any issues for weeks now.

This is my first post and might get a bit long - so please bare with me and be nice Smiley

Overall, I'm quite happy with the idea of the rebranding finally going to be implemented - after reading about it for almost a year.
Now, I'm not a native speaker and I can only speak for myself: DASH sounds just fine to me.
It has always been difficult for me talking to friends about cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin is still just some kind of weird internet money for most of them, used by geeks to buy illegal stuff. So I never even actually tried to talk about or explain Darkcoin - mostly  because of the name and the implications associated with it.

But that's a whole different story with a new name like DASH. DASH doesn't sound bland at all to me - it sounds simple (in a good way), quick (literally), rolls off the tongue easily and there is a lot of room for a brand to be build around it - and that's the important part!
I can also only second the post made by Minotaur26 a couple of pages back regarding Apple: Just imagine yourself speaking to Steve J. or Steve W. back in 1976 and hearing of about a computer company named "Apple" for the very first time - a computer company! Didn't make much sense back then to regular folks, probably doesn't make much sense today. But it just works. Why? Because they build one of the strongest, valuable and respected brands around that name. The Same (on a different level) applies to Uber, Circle, Square, Stripe, Slack, ... - all of them built or are in the middle of building a name and a brand for themselves. But it's not about the name - it's what you make of it!

And just to speak from my own experience after having worked in the design, development and startup area myself for the last 10 years - it just takes time getting used to a new name or design at first. Sometimes it's love at first sight - but that's very, very rare. Now, it's not love at first sight with DASH for me - but it continues to grow on me.

Dash (the detergent) is also available where I live - we luckily don't have any Kardashain stores over here - but there are also a lot of stores selling apples Wink
Now there are a couple of down sides with the name though. The first thing that comes to mind is the searchability and distinguishability. The other thing that really needs to be taken care of is the name of the brand itself and if there are any similarly named brands competing in the same or a similar space - and I'm also speaking from experience here. I really do hope the foundation is on top of this, because we definitely can't afford to be forced to do another rebranding in a couple months just because something has been overlooked in that area.

I'm sad to see valuable community members like vertoe leave because of (apparently) bad communication between Evan, the foundation boad and the dev team. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes exactly and I also didn't quite like the way the foundation and Evan handled the rebranding anouncement and especially not informing some (or all?) of the developers (just assuming that's the way it happened, based on Evan's update) beforehand. And just as a side note: This hasn't been the first time, that some announcement has been kind of screwed up - so this is definitely something that needs to be looked into and worked on!
But we will never be able to get everyone on the same boat regarding the selection of a new name - so some hard choices will have to be made and someone (or some group) will have to take them. Some people will like the changes and continue to support the coin and community around it, new users will come aboard and some long-standing members will leave.

In the end, we should all be aware that this rebranding will not be an easy undertaking - but it's necessary to take that step. It'll take time, a lot of effort and also a lot of discussion/coordination. So the proposal made by Evan to hire a company that will be taking care of establishing a new brand is a great (although probably quite expensive) idea - if it's done the right way. However, there still needs to be defined what that company will be taking care of exactly (design/wording/PR/etc) and who's going to select the company and who will pay for that.

One thing that I still don't see a suitable solution or proposal for yet is on which level certain types of discussions will have to take place and who exactly will be able to take part and have a say in them - or to put it in another way: What kind of issues and topics will be discussed on which level (devs, foundation board, foundation members, dev, masternode owners, community members, etc...). But that's probably something that should be talked about and defined on a foundation board level first.

Just also wanted to add a small remark regarding the "morse code" idea:
Now first of all, thanks for getting involved and coming up with the idea, f2000. However, I'm really not sure, if we want DASH (or whatever the name will be) to be associated with a technology that's more than 180 years old, slow (lots of "beeps" for every single character) and complicated (one needs to know what to make of all those beeps in order to understand the message or how it works).

I know that these are only the first small steps and ideas towards establishing a new brand and identity for Darkcoin - and we haven't even really settled on a new name yet. But there are a lot of facts and pitfalls that need to be considered if we want to get it right. And we really have to!

Now there is just one more thing I wanted to point out and close my first post with: The technology behind the name is still the same and it will stay that way. But in the last couple of months, DRK has evolved to something more than just being "dark" (in the sense of being anonymous) and it will continue to evolve and grow stronger.
First it became anonymous (or another term that I prefer "private") with Darksend and the Masternode network. Next it became instantaneous (or at least very fast) with InstantX. The next steps in its evolution will make transactions even more private with Mastermore Blinding and Masternode IP obfuscation, more secure for regular users with 2FA and more scalable - if the ideas Evan announced in his post (and no one is sadly really talking about at the moment) will indeed work out. But I'm just gonna trust him on this.

All of these innovations and efforts could be summed up in just one simple value proposition: Make it more usable!
And in that case, "Darkcoin" simply isn't appropriate and doesn't appeal to a wider audience or userbase.

IMHO, it simply isn't the right name anymore to capture the spirit, believes and ideas of what Evan, all other devs, the foundation and community members are working on and trying to achieve.

Just my two duffs, though…
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:30:20 PM

Hey cool picture, its funny cause this coin is going down the drain
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:32:47 PM

Why Dash? Yes, this is going to give Shadowcash a boost for sure as Darkcoin is copycat them using cash.
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:34:11 PM

Another one I made:

This is what I'm talking about

I say the D stands alone
- then, call it what you want

A "currency" needs a symbol not a bunch of shit stacked on top of it

The more I look at the old darkcoin D against the new dash logos. I have realised how cartoonish and amateurish it looks.

We need to drop the D and start fresh.
alex-ru
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:35:09 PM

..."Darkcoin" simply isn't appropriate and doesn't appeal to a wider audience or user base...

Cool, agree!

Just want to copy my post from DCT:

The funniest thing is... DarkMarkets also don't want to use anonymous coin with "Dark" name!  Grin Grin Grin
They do not want to attract unwanted attention.

They want anonymous digital cash with "white" name and with lots of legal users - so they can safely lost among them!

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:36:59 PM

Caught this one today too, was about the most awkward picture ever taken. Pretty sure I swerved into at least a couple of lanes due to the excitement Cheesy :

Nicely maintained road  Shocked
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:38:26 PM

The funniest thing is... DarkMarkets also don't want to use anonymous coin with "Dark" name!  Grin Grin Grin
They do not want to attract unwanted attention.

They want anonymous digital cash with "white" name and with lots of legal users - so they can safely lost among them!

This is a hummdinger of a point. I hope it gets bumped all the way through the thread.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:40:01 PM

Long time lurker and hodler here - bought the first DRK in early March 2014. Also am a happy owner of several masternodes that are running without any issues for weeks now.

This is my first post and might get a bit long - so please bare with me and be nice Smiley

Overall, I'm quite happy with the idea of the rebranding finally going to be implemented - after reading about it for almost a year.
Now, I'm not a native speaker and I can only speak for myself: DASH sounds just fine to me.
It has always been difficult for me talking to friends about cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin is still just some kind of weird internet money for most of them, used by geeks to buy illegal stuff. So I never even actually tried to talk about or explain Darkcoin - mostly  because of the name and the implications associated with it.

But that's a whole different story with a new name like DASH. DASH doesn't sound bland at all to me - it sounds simple (in a good way), quick (literally), rolls off the tongue easily and there is a lot of room for a brand to be build around it - and that's the important part!
I can also only second the post made by Minotaur26 a couple of pages back regarding Apple: Just imagine yourself speaking to Steve J. or Steve W. back in 1976 and hearing of about a computer company named "Apple" for the very first time - a computer company! Didn't make much sense back then to regular folks, probably doesn't make much sense today. But it just works. Why? Because they build one of the strongest, valuable and respected brands around that name. The Same (on a different level) applies to Uber, Circle, Square, Stripe, Slack, ... - all of them built or are in the middle of building a name and a brand for themselves. But it's not about the name - it's what you make of it!

And just to speak from my own experience after having worked in the design, development and startup area myself for the last 10 years - it just takes time getting used to a new name or design at first. Sometimes it's love at first sight - but that's very, very rare. Now, it's not love at first sight with DASH for me - but it continues to grow on me.

Dash (the detergent) is also available where I live - we luckily don't have any Kardashain stores over here - but there are also a lot of stores selling apples Wink
Now there are a couple of down sides with the name though. The first thing that comes to mind is the searchability and distinguishability. The other thing that really needs to be taken care of is the name of the brand itself and if there are any similarly named brands competing in the same or a similar space - and I'm also speaking from experience here. I really do hope the foundation is on top of this, because we definitely can't afford to be forced to do another rebranding in a couple months just because something has been overlooked in that area.

I'm sad to see valuable community member like vertoe leave because of (apparently) bad communication between Evan, the foundation boad and the dev team. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes exactly and I also didn't quite like the way the foundation and Evan handled the rebranding anouncement and especially not informing some (or all?) of the developers (just assuming that's the way it happened, based on Evan's update) beforehand. And just as a side note: This hasn't been the first time, that some announcement has been kind of screwed up - so this is definitely something that needs to be looked into and worked on!
But we will never be able to get everyone on the same boat regarding the selection of a new name - so some hard choices will have to be made and someone (or some group) will have to take them. Some people will like the changes and continue to support the coin and community around it, new users will come aboard and some long-standing members will leave.

In the end, we should all be aware that this rebranding will not be an easy undertaking - but it's necessary to take that step. It'll take time, a lot of effort and also a lot of discussion/coordination. So the proposal made by Evan to hire a company that will be taking care of establishing a new brand is a great (although probably quite expensive) idea - if it's done the right way. However, there still needs to be defined what that company will be taking care of exactly (design/wording/PR/etc) and who's going to select the company and who will pay for that.

One thing that I still don't see a suitable solution or proposal for yet is on which level certain types of discussions will have to take place and who exactly will be able to take part and have a say in them - or to put it in another way: What kind of issues and topics will be discussed on which level (devs, foundation board, foundation members, dev, masternode owners, community members, etc...). But that's probably something that should be talked about and defined on a foundation board level first.

Now first of all, thanks for getting involved and coming up with the idea, f2000. However, I'm really not sure, if we want DASH (or whatever the name will be) to be associated with a technology that's more than 180 years old, slow (lots of "beeps" for every single character) and complicated (one needs to know what to make of all those beeps in order to understand the message or how it works).

I know that these are only the first small steps and ideas towards establishing a new brand and identity for Darkcoin - and we haven't even really settled on a new name yet. But there are a lot of facts and pitfalls that need to be considered if we want to get it right. And we really have to!

Now there is just one more thing I wanted to point out and close my first post with: The technology behind the name is still the same and it will stay that way. But in the last couple of months, DRK has evolved to something more than just being "dark" (in the sense of being anonymous) and it will continue to evolve and grow stronger.
First it became anonymous (or another term that I prefer "private") with Darksend and the Masternode network. Next it became instantaneous (or at least very fast) with InstantX. The next steps in its evolution will make transactions even more private with Mastermore Blinding and Masternode IP obfuscation, more secure for regular users with 2FA and more scalable - if the ideas Evan announced in his post (and no one is sadly really talking about at the moment) will indeed work out. But I'm just gonna trust him on this.

All of these innovations and efforts could be summed up in just one simple value proposition: Make it more usable!
And in that case, "Darkcoin" simply isn't appropriate and doesn't appeal to a wider audience or userbase.

IMHO, it simply isn't the right name anymore to capture the spirit, believes and ideas of what Evan, all other devs, the foundation and community members are working on and trying to achieve.

For not a native English speaker, you put this incredibly well.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:40:59 PM

Why Dash? Yes, this is going to give Shadowcash a boost for sure as Darkcoin is copycat them using cash.

Really? I forgot how SDC has squatter's rights on a global term for currency. /facepalm
_Scarab_

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:43:04 PM

It has always been difficult for me talking to friends about cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin is still just some kind of weird internet money for most of them, used by geeks to buy illegal stuff. So I never even actually tried to talk about or explain Darkcoin - mostly  because of the name and the implications associated with it.

I'm sad to see valuable community member like vertoe leave because of (apparently) bad communication between Evan, the foundation boad and the dev team. Now I don't know what went on behind the scenes exactly and I also didn't quite like the way the foundation and Evan handled the rebranding anouncement and especially not informing some (or all?) of the developers (just assuming that's the way it happened, based on Evan's update) beforehand. And just as a side note: This hasn't been the first time, that some announcement has been kind of screwed up - so this is definitely something that needs to be looked into and worked on!

Thanks Smiley
superplus

Activity: 475

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:05:28 PM

been abscent a while i like dash Smiley
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:24:34 PM

Looks like an IT supplier.

Hardware & software.
Varvarin
Legendary

Activity: 1130

No good deed goes unpunished

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 10:32:10 PM

BTER has some open withdrawals .. Dark and Lite coins pretty much. Doge and rest all disabled still.

Spread is epic, but fuk no .. got my DRK out, bastards lost me money .. get coin out while you can.

I placed buy orders on DRK at 105 - 110 which got filled, sell wall is at 0.0130

Coinmarket Cat prowls once again.
https://twitter.com/VarvarinEMC2
bitalkpl

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:37:18 PM

Maybe Evan want to move to ring singatures. Wink

He just wants the name Dash.

Well to bad, its already taken, and as someone suggested on IRC, if they take the name DASH, DASHcoin will re-brand itself to DarkCoin. How you like them apples now?

source:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=678232.msg10742883#msg10742883

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:44:58 PM

Thanks to everyone that +1'd my logo.

Here's a bit of an improvement, including what I think would be a good slogan.

my thumb up! Great!!!

I like this one a lot, I'd also be interested to see how it looked using a Tesla storefront inspired font.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
ilic

Activity: 535
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:47:37 PM

Agreed, very well written and a great argument for the name change and rebrand.

Good free and easy Bitcoin Faucet thingy: https://freebitco.in/?r=9293711
Do not invest in HYIPs people, however you can put some into iCenter: https://t.me/icenter_bot?start=j5t25s58148
RenegadeMan

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

It has always been difficult for me talking to friends about cryptocurrencies in general. Bitcoin is still just some kind of weird internet money for most of them, used by geeks to buy illegal stuff. So I never even actually tried to talk about or explain Darkcoin - mostly  because of the name and the implications associated with it.....

(snipped)

Tremendous first posting _Scarab_. You've really articulated important concepts and considerations very well.

This just goes to show that one needs to remember there are great people in the Darkcoin community who mostly just read this forum, but don't post. Many will have substantial input that we might never hear; but they're still out there all the same supporting what Darkcoin is through their investment.

BTC:   1KjAPEa3WvhmDGT4jmT9i5P3UPFdFH629e
DASH: Xdr6U5qcAdbuKRrr3xKBb1ySoPq7MKERnB
patrolman

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:53:23 PM

I was playing around with the idea a little and added a couple more dashes:

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:59:33 PM

my thumb up! Great!!!

Lose the digital cash, just make it digital

The cash bit comes from the name.

private instant digital

or

private instant cash
Pages: « 1 ... 4216 4217 4218 4219 4220 4221 4222 4223 4224 4225 4226 4227 4228 4229 4230 4231 4232 4233 4234 4235 4236 4237 4238 4239 4240 4241 4242 4243 4244 4245 4246 4247 4248 4249 4250 4251 4252 4253 4254 4255 4256 4257 4258 4259 4260 4261 4262 4263 4264 4265 [4266] 4267 4268 4269 4270 4271 4272 4273 4274 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 4280 4281 4282 4283 4284 4285 4286 4287 4288 4289 4290 4291 4292 4293 4294 4295 4296 4297 4298 4299 4300 4301 4302 4303 4304 4305 4306 4307 4308 4309 4310 4311 4312 4313 4314 4315 4316 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: