Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:08:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 ... 411 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PMC] Premine Coin | Rare | Mining Transaction Fee Proof of Concept  (Read 382860 times)
Mivexil

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:09:20 AM

I'm the random guy! Cheesy
The bug was in the GetBlockValue function. The problem was that the reward amount was determined by cutting by half the initial block reward every 250 blocks and the division was made by shifting the bits to the right. Doing this 64 times resetted the reward to the initial one. (I think using a normal division should solve the problem). I just watched the bitcoin source and it has the exact same problem. The difference is that bitcoin halves the reward every 210000 blocks instead of 250. So the reward will be resetted at block 13440000, when the number of the block divided by 210000 will be 64. I think we should tell them... but we have al lot of time to do it Smiley (we are at block 288372...)

But... but that makes no sense. If it's unsigned, then shifting to the right adds zero on the leftmost bit. Do it 64 times, and you end up with zeroes only.

EDIT: Aaah, int64_t. Nasty bug.
it happens also with int, unsigned , long (I just tested it)

Aaaah, it's even worse, shift by 64 bits. Good thing we didn't have demons flying out of our noses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
_CR_

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 01:15:28 AM

So any word on what the problem was? was it a bug that will effect bitcoin as well in a few years? or was it a change made after the fork from bitcoin?

No, it was a bug of my own doing. I believe it is patched, and I'm testing it on an isolated blockchain. I believe everything is ok, But i want to mine more blocks on my testnet before I release the software.

Sorry to bump this from last month, but I have not kept up with the latest events.

What was the bug that allowed more coins to be mined?

Was there a detailed explanation in some post?

Please link of available.

Thanks!

There is some post about it several pages back, the exact location is unknown. The problem appears to exist in all coins. I have tested the anomaly under a number of different parameters and the result is the same. There is a mathematics error in the code where essentially the mining  rewards continue to reduce by half even beyond the 8th decimal. IE: even after the mining reward is cut in half down to 0.00000001 it continues to half even though the result cannot be seen. Eventually this causes a script error, and causes the block rewards to start over from the beginning. The easiest fix is a manual entry to tell the network to never produce coins after BLOCK # "X" ("X" will vary based on how the coin is set up.) I believe this error will effect most (if not all)  current bitcoin / altcoin forks. 

Wow! This is serious!

We need to make sure everybody in the crypto community knows about this, including the fact you/PMC found and fixed it.

I can't be 100% sure that all forks would suffer the same result, but I have enough reason to suspect it. And actually it was a random guy that spotted the error, we might be sitting here under different circumstances if it weren't for him. I merely patched it.

Could you maybe test the Bitcoin code and confirm whenever you have some time?

This would be a huge contribution of PMC if confirmed.

Yes, I have been meaning to do so, I simply haven't had time since things have been progressing so well with PMC. However, I fully intend to try it out of curiosity.

The bug was in the GetBlockValue function. The problem was that the reward amount was determined by cutting by half the initial block reward every 250 blocks and the division was made by shifting the bits to the right. Doing this 64 times resetted the reward to the initial one. (I think using a normal division should solve the problem). I just watched the bitcoin source and it has the exact same problem. The difference is that bitcoin halves the reward every 210000 blocks instead of 250. So the reward will be resetted at block 13440000, when the number of the block divided by 210000 will be 64. I think we should tell them... but we have al lot of time to do it Smiley (we are at block 288372...)

You are an amazing person, and I cannot overstate my gratitude.

thanks  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

ps: I don't wanna seem greedy but in my signature you can find my address  Roll Eyes
ctenc001

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:42:42 AM

So any word on what the problem was? was it a bug that will effect bitcoin as well in a few years? or was it a change made after the fork from bitcoin?

No, it was a bug of my own doing. I believe it is patched, and I'm testing it on an isolated blockchain. I believe everything is ok, But i want to mine more blocks on my testnet before I release the software.

Sorry to bump this from last month, but I have not kept up with the latest events.

Thanks!

There is some post about it several pages back, the exact location is unknown. The problem appears to exist in all coins. I have tested the anomaly under a number of different parameters and the result is the same. There is a mathematics error in the code where essentially the mining  rewards continue to reduce by half even beyond the 8th decimal. IE: even after the mining reward is cut in half down to 0.00000001 it continues to half even though the result cannot be seen. Eventually this causes a script error, and causes the block rewards to start over from the beginning. The easiest fix is a manual entry to tell the network to never produce coins after BLOCK # "X" ("X" will vary based on how the coin is set up.) I believe this error will effect most (if not all)  current bitcoin / altcoin forks. 

Wow! This is serious!

We need to make sure everybody in the crypto community knows about this, including the fact you/PMC found and fixed it.

I can't be 100% sure that all forks would suffer the same result, but I have enough reason to suspect it. And actually it was a random guy that spotted the error, we might be sitting here under different circumstances if it weren't for him. I merely patched it.

Yes, I have been meaning to do so, I simply haven't had time since things have been progressing so well with PMC. However, I fully intend to try it out of curiosity.

ps: I don't wanna seem greedy but in my signature you can find my address  Roll Eyes

Would be cool if we figured out a way to get media attention out of this. Proof that PMC is important to bitcoins future. Maybe get an interview stating how PMC has solved bitcoins problem years in advanced potentially preventing a catastrophic bug and potentially saving billions in damage.
SlidingHorn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:04:31 AM

Would be cool if we figured out a way to get media attention out of this. Proof that PMC is important to bitcoins future. Maybe get an interview stating how PMC has solved bitcoins problem years in advanced potentially preventing a catastrophic bug and potentially saving billions in damage.

I'll be writing an article about it tomorrow.  Just PMed OP & _CR_ to see if we can chat

kbroadfoot
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Bass Player

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 02:09:38 AM

I'll be writing an article about it tomorrow.  Just PMed OP & _CR_ to see if we can chat

This is very cool... The fact that PMC ran into this bug AND fixed it first says a lot about the 'experiment' doesn't it?

ctenc001

Activity: 910

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 03:40:09 AM

given that gtmox simply mentioned a bug that was already known about for over two years, and it cost bitcoin's marketcap to drop by nearly 4 billion dollars overnight, Just think about what kind of impact a bug like this could have had.
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:45:19 AM

given that gtmox simply mentioned a bug that was already known about for over two years, and it cost bitcoin's marketcap to drop by nearly 4 billion dollars overnight, Just think about what kind of impact a bug like this could have had.
Woah. Damn This coin is actually more important than I originally thought
creditcoin_CRD (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:45:27 AM

Hashrate Spike Incoming

budiartha

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 04:34:11 AM

Yes  in Primine........now go the top....yes.......

sorry my english is not good i use goggle translate........Cheesy

1B68JGgayBWuSKeD5v9jUFsziwwZtkVXJH

thanks u ..........
bmgbmg

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:43:59 AM

Could we get a list of top PMC wallets like Bitcoin?

I'm curious to see where all of the 499,000 PMC are now that I'm getting close to 1% of them.

kbroadfoot
Legendary

Bass Player

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:04:29 AM

I have 0.06 percent of them...

kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 05:54:45 AM

http://fuk.io/cryptocurrencies-to-invest-in-right-now/
ive posted it feb 05.

almnost all coins went be 100% - of course PMC too.
the blog has over 1k email subscribes een tho it has just 2 posts.

pass me some premines guys!

1BaJ9WHXEKJALRS6JRiv4AAHiPuDnL1gD7

forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:12:08 AM

ive posted it feb 05.

yep seems u have good rep and good preditctions.
im following u on twitter now Smiley

yolo
blueangel01

Activity: 406

Hello! Send me a message.

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:30:39 AM

Yay PMC... well i am holding 3700 PMC. I buy and sell 500 PMC once in a while to add volume trades (it helps PMC while making money).

Msg me if you want me to put anything here.
coinnewbit

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:01:18 AM

Yay PMC... well i am holding 3700 PMC. I buy and sell 500 PMC once in a while to add volume trades (it helps PMC while making money).
What?! How did you amass so much PMC?
Triax

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:08:38 AM

Thanks!

Wow! This is serious!

That is awesome.

Sent you a little PMC

DOGE: DJj2YmMx9eDwNZxvtc7et97goFYULJgdMN           DGB: D8zdoa2URri6nWRdn95R1aRv9W7JYrTnAK
PMC:  1M8xuqeLrNM9w1GzbYAfmmz4VLaN3dfs8             Free Premine
BigBoy89
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:01:28 AM

I've installed Premine Wallet for Android and back up the keys, Anybody here know how to import that file (premine-wallet-keys-2014-03-01) to premine-qt?

.AMEPAY.
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
       AMEPAY IEO       
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
   AMEPAY LISTING   
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
_CR_

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:13:55 AM

That is awesome.

Sent you a little PMC

Same here

many many thanks to you both and the third donor (maybe creditcoin_CRD?) Cheesy
kbroadfoot
Legendary

Bass Player

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:08:24 PM

ive posted it feb 05.

yep seems u have good rep and good preditctions.
im following u on twitter now Smiley

Made a little comment  Smiley  Nice write up...

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 12:32:53 PM

This has been posted several times here now. We get it. Spam somewhere else.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Pages: « 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 ... 411 »
  Print  

Jump to: