Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:50:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 [410] 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004092 times)
vectisitch
Legendary

Activity: 1927
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:49:00 PM

all trading should be stopped at this point until a solution is implemented. people are losing too much money because of a criminal. panick selling has dropped the guts out of this already. once the hacker starts dumping our investment will be worth shit. stop the trading for now. this will stop the dumping and also stop the thief from dumping until he's found and suitably delt with
MangoRush

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:53:00 PM

Ethereum is toast now.  Its basic foundation is shaken.  Sell now and get out.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 04:06:26 PM

I can see that fungibility is a very important aspect of both a money and a decentralized programmable platform.

I think Ethereum would be better off to just let the thief make off with the coin. Try somehow to allow for tracking so they can bust him.
But a rollback or software fix is the end but Vitalik has already made that statement.
Ouch.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
M28MmickT

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

BTG CEO

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 04:25:33 PM

Let's make this clear, to the hacker:

Being decentralized means being in the power of people, not a directive board or in the code, you just stole 3.6 million ether but for nothing because you will not be able to withdraw you dumb, you can't take any legal action because people (51%) did not authorized your theft, and you said you will sue? LOL yes, sue us all 10k investors,  you are speaking only fantasies.  Cheesy

Then to slock it and ethereum team:

Ethereum should make a hard fork and return all ether to DAO holders, that was just a buggy code giving away money to a robber without a reason, the people behind this DAO (investors) never authorized that DAO split, otherwise I would think of an INSIDE job and I would call you all scammers, slock.it and Ethereum, and with more reason now that slock it is closing, if you don't make the roll back this will look like an scam by you.

lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:01:58 PM

Being decentralized means being in the power of people, not a directive board or in the code, you just stole 3.6 million ether but for nothing because you will not be able to withdraw you dumb, you can't take any legal action because people (51%) did not authorized your theft, and you said you will sue? LOL yes, sue us all 10k investors,  you are speaking only fantasies.  Cheesy

Ethereum should make a hard fork and return all ether to DAO holders, that was just a buggy code giving away money to a robber without a reason, the people behind this DAO (investors) never authorized that DAO split, otherwise I would think of an INSIDE job and I would call you all scammers, slock.it and Ethereum, and with more reason now that slock it is closing, if you don't make the roll back this will look like an scam by you.

you are the dumb. The attacker won already. because he has a 3k put on ethereum. And if we hard fork, ethers price will never recover...
I can just repeat myself. offer him the option to give 90% back.
itismoney4me

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:05:26 PM

I can see that fungibility is a very important aspect of both a money and a decentralized programmable platform.

I think Ethereum would be better off to just let the thief make off with the coin. Try somehow to allow for tracking so they can bust him.
But a rollback or software fix is the end but Vitalik has already made that statement.
Ouch.
Agreed it hurts but it's true Undecided
xxxgoodgirls
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:08:52 PM

Is the hardfork going to happen for sure?

In summary, the Intel Management Engine and its applications are a backdoor with total access to and control over the rest of the PC. The ME is a threat to freedom, security, and privacy, and the libreboot project strongly recommends avoiding it entirely. Since recent versions of it can’t be removed, this means avoiding all recent generations of Intel hardware. details https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme --- https://tehnoetic.com/laptops --- https://store.vikings.net/x200-ryf-certfied
digi123

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:16:06 PM

Agree.
Letting anyone get away with this would be madness and the most detrimental outcome.
shojayxt
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:16:22 PM

Ouch.

I'm curious as to what laws were actually broken that this individual could be prosecuted for and if there were any laws that were broken what entity would have jurisdiction for prosecution.

Regardless,  this is certainly the biggest mess to befall cryptocurrency since Mt Gox.  The amount of value that has evaporated is staggering.
M28MmickT

BTG CEO

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:37:16 PM

you are the dumb. The attacker won already. because he has a 3k put on ethereum. And if we hard fork, ethers price will never recover...

What means your "3k put on ethereum" ?? you are more dumb than the attacker, those bugs should affect the price for sure as any other bug on technologies but thats all, your "eth price will never recover" is only your proofless especulation opinion, as any other on the speculation topic.

People don't make deals with thieves, he will get 0 ether.

90% back?, if someone gets into your hause and takes your 5 childs, you will say "hey just return me 4 of them"?? , you are very idiot.

hamzatu

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:47:26 PM

Did anyone else notice that this exploit was predicted ten days ago? Why wasn't something done then?

http://www.coindesk.com/dao-can-keep-becoming-next-mt-gox/

M28MmickT

BTG CEO

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:50:36 PM

Did anyone else notice that this exploit was predicted ten days ago. Why wasn't something done then.

That is and for other reasons why I stated if there isn't a full Ether re-fund to investors via the fork, Devs will automatically appear as the thieves.

lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:54:19 PM

What means your "3k put on ethereum" ?? you are more dumb than the attacker, those bugs should affect the price for sure as any other bug on technologies but thats all, your "eth price will never recover" is only your proofless especulation opinion, as any other on the speculation topic.

90% back?, if someone gets into your hause and takes your 5 childs, you will say "hey just return me 4 of them"?? , you are very idiot.

Put means, that he actually gains, if ether drops.
It was not a bug of ethereum. The action of the attacker was not against the ethereum law. The DAO had the bad code. If we change ether because of this, the developers/miners are setting an authority, which it is not supposed to have. DAO was the decentralized authority code, but it was written wrong.
And with the child... What a comparison. We are talking about money here. Not life. So would you give your child for half a million ether?
This is negotiating. Every stakeholder will be fine with a 10% loss. I am... at the moment we lost already more than 50% of ALL funds by price decrease anyway, so what do you want... this is more than the attacker even took...
M28MmickT

BTG CEO

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:02:42 PM

It was not a bug of ethereum. The action of the attacker was not against the ethereum law. The DAO had the bad code. If we change ether because of this, the developers/miners are setting an authority, which it is not supposed to have. DAO was the decentralized authority code, but it was written wrong.
And with the child... What a comparison. We are talking about money here. Not life. So would you give your child for half a million ether?
This is negotiating. Every stakeholder will be fine with a 10% loss. I am... at the moment we lost already more than 50% of ALL funds by price decrease anyway, so what do you want... this is more than the attacker even took...

The atacker is clearly not doing it only for the money, he wants to kill DAO (which succeded) and hurt Ethereum, if he receives the funds stolen he will not return anything, I only stated than negotiating with thieves is wrong in crypto, outside life and any other environment just like the governments do (the few correct things governments do), this is what can really kill ethereum if they start making deals with a supposed hacker putting us down to a cryptsy scammy exchange level.

Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 06:08:09 PM

The atacker is clearly not doing it only for the money, he wants to kill DAO (which succeded) and hurt Ethereum, if he receives the funds stolen he will not return anything, I only stated than negotiating with thieves is wrong in crypto, putside life and any other environment just like the governments do, this is what can really kill ethereum if they start making deals with a supposed hacker putting us down to a cryptsy scammy exchange level.

Ethereum will never be same like before this incident either way. if they decide to HF or block the "attacker" address it's not decentralized anymore.

wallflies

Activity: 160

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:39:07 PM

What the ‘Fork’ Really Means

https://blog.slock.it/what-the-fork-really-means-6fe573ac31dd#.3ra8uw1r7

lambofan

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:45:36 PM

Did anyone else notice that this exploit was predicted ten days ago? Why wasn't something done then?

Yeah,  Who would have thought that could happen.

nihilnegativum

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

––Δ͘҉̀░░

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 07:18:00 PM

Ethereum will never be same like before this incident either way. if they decide to HF or block the "attacker" address it's not decentralized anymore.
Hard-fork in this case isn't really an issue of decentralization, its about the mode of legitimacy and the consensus about it. People that are in favor of smart-contracts as the new form of legitimacy should mine on the fork that favors the DAO's law against its spirit, and the people that are in favor of smart-contracts requiring safeguards, like banks and current laws, should mine on the fork that favors the spirit of DAO against it's law. If one fork wins over the other, it doesn't mean its decentralized, but it will probably mean that people much prefer the human law and not the smart-contracts, ironically, even when they invested in DAO exactly for the opposite reason. Of course this is painting it rather black and white, a more sane approach would just be to say we're obviously not ready for smart-law and it will take a while before we can get there, with perhaps many more forks in the road.
alienesb

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 07:28:35 PM

ETH will be fine because the gpu miners want something not yet killed by asics.
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 07:42:18 PM

If it's miners that decide whether to walk path A or path B, I'm not entirely sure, why it should be less decentralized than before.
Pages: « 1 ... 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 [410] 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: