Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:13:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 1311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004306 times)
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 12:27:35 PM

This thread needs to be given to ethc. Eth-hf needs a new thread.

Meh..
The few thief-friends can go somewhere else and have their own party.

Thanks, join my petition https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559622.0

The thread is now misleading as the the original ethereum is now called ETHC which retains being immutable.

ETH-HF must create a new announcement with new ethos and current thread given to ETHC. Another possibility is locking the thread since that version of ethereum no longer exists.

You misunderstood.

The hacker-thief-supporters which are not the majority, but seemingly a tiny tiny minority paying to look bigger.

YOU and those supporters should go somewhere else.

This thread is for the main project of ETH... and as voted, the thief is not part of it.

You don't seem to understand as well.. Its not a "thief" - it's merely someone who found a flaw in the code and used it for its own advantage.

The DAO contract was bugged - not ETH and IMHO a rollback / hardfork because a bugged contract should absolutely NOT be possible in a modern, decentralized crypto currency. However - they forked it anyway which is the right decision for some people and the wrong decision for others, you probably never get it right for everyone.

"it's merely someone who found a flaw in the code and used it for its own advantage." - which makes him a thief.

Kind of like when a bank accidentally deposits money into the wrong account, and they roll back the transaction. If you withdrew the money you get charged, etc.

Isn't Ether supposed to be different? I thought we weren't able to do this with crypto. I thought cryptocurrencies were supposed to be different than banks.

Ether proved me wrong.

Imagine you win in the lottery and then the lottery manager comes and says "ah sorry, bug in the code, you won't get anything we just changed the rules"...

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 12:31:25 PM

It makes no sense to fight ethc. You already have ethc and we're trying to give you value. Anyone with 10k I'll give you $50.

Slydrule

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 12:34:51 PM

Meh..

The thread is now misleading as the the original ethereum is now called ETHC which retains being immutable.

ETH-HF must create a new announcement with new ethos and current thread given to ETHC. Another possibility is locking the thread since that version of ethereum no longer exists.

You misunderstood.

The hacker-thief-supporters which are not the majority, but seemingly a tiny tiny minority paying to look bigger.

This thread is for the main project of ETH... and as voted, the thief is not part of it.

You don't seem to understand as well.. Its not a "thief" - it's merely someone who found a flaw in the code and used it for its own advantage.

The DAO contract was bugged - not ETH and IMHO a rollback / hardfork because a bugged contract should absolutely NOT be possible in a modern, decentralized crypto currency. However - they forked it anyway which is the right decision for some people and the wrong decision for others, you probably never get it right for everyone.

"it's merely someone who found a flaw in the code and used it for its own advantage." - which makes him a thief.

Wrong, code is law. Vitaliks own words. His only selling point.

So Vitaliks makes the law now?  In what country?  Certainly not in the United States.  Code is not law.  Flaws in code are not law.  Exploiting flaws in code to take something that does not belong to you is not legal.

The point you are missing along with the other people who share your motives is that you cannot take something that does not belong to you without permission.  It doesn't matter how you do it.  You claim the code allowed the thief to do it therefore what he did was legal.  But what about the owners of the ETH that was taken?  If they had no knowledge of the taking or reasonable belief that their ETH was theirs and that no one could take it without their permission AND they claim they did not give said permission, then whoever took it should have given it back.  Once he knew that what he did was not intended he should have offered it back.  By keeping it, not divulging his mistake and not offering to return it he willfully kept something that was not his. Hence, he stole it.

You must be one of those people who when a cashier gives you too much change you keep it, right?  Such an honest person.
DStefanov

Activity: 425
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 12:36:36 PM

Meh..

You misunderstood.

Kind of like when a bank accidentally deposits money into the wrong account, and they roll back the transaction. If you withdrew the money you get charged, etc.

Isn't Ether supposed to be different? I thought we weren't able to do this with crypto. I thought cryptocurrencies were supposed to be different than banks.

Ether proved me wrong.

Imagine you win in the lottery and then the lottery manager comes and says "ah sorry, bug in the code, you won't get anything we just changed the rules"...

Absolutely wrong thinking !!!
There is no bug in the code! This code has been changed due to theft !!! The sole purpose is to return the stolen people. This is a unique and single event! If you have again done! Is not done to benefit and others. Find out at last!
There are only ONE Ethereum and this is ETH !!!

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 12:37:27 PM

I don't understand, what's going on now, there 2 different Ether now?

Actually, 3.

Ether Classic - no hard fork

Ether hf? - hard fork

Ether Regenesis  - New instance with no premine.

wow it seems people did not like that change...

Not really.. notice the nicks, their status, their activity.

Summed up:  Ignore them.

Ok the Ether Regenesis is a complete new chain, and the Ether HF is the official Vitalik chain and the unchanged ETH classic is now a alternative chain?
Is this more or less right?  Grin

So the chain now it's of VB... wow  Roll Eyes. I thought the blockchain was of his users. Btw the real immutable chain is the not-hard-fork one, so I think ethereum classic.

Absolutely wrong thinking !!!
There is no bug in the code! This code has been changed due to theft !!! The sole purpose is to return the stolen people. This is a unique and single event! If you have again done! Is not done to benefit and others. Find out at last!
There are only ONE Ethereum and this is ETH !!!

No, this hard-fork is an ethic/moral hard-fork. It was not due a protocol bug so imho I thin it was not necessary because what it will happen when the next big smart contract will be drained... will they run another hard-fork ?

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 12:48:35 PM

None of you are answering which fork you'd choose because it will happen again.

Forking crime out may have its merits. The only dapp I saw on dao is roulette. Say gambling becomes huge in ethf.

1. Fbi visits vitalik telling him to stop gambling so he forks to ethfbi.

2. Investors want their money back so they want another fork ethf2.

How many forks will it take? All the proforkers will choose which fork?

LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 01:04:55 PM

None of you are answering which fork you'd choose because it will happen again.

Forking crime out may have its merits. The only dapp I saw on dao is roulette. Say gambling becomes huge in ethf.

1. Fbi visits vitalik telling him to stop gambling so he forks to ethfbi.

2. Investors want their money back so they want another fork ethf2.

How many forks will it take? All the proforkers will choose which fork?

Does it matter? It's called evolution.
Many forks could coexist, weak forks can be killed by bitcoiners/BCX.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 01:22:48 PM

Actually, 3.

Ether hf? - hard fork

Where is Ether XT?
Perryl

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 01:38:38 PM

Actually, 3.

Ether hf? - hard fork

Where is Ether XT?

I apologize,  I am only aware of the 3.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 02:46:42 PM

A pump and dump based on hype and false promises means nothing.

Vitalik sold immutable tokens and now the word has been wiped clean. This is false advertising, deceptive and bait and switch. Ethereum Classic believes in the original intent.

The repeated use of childish appeals to popularity ("nobody likes ETH Classic, neener-neener") to justify this emergent politicized governance structure do more harm than the DAO hacker ever could.

OTOH, we always knew or should have known ETH is functionally VitalikCoin.

Nevertheless, the self-serving hypocrisy burns with the fire of a hundred supervolcanoes:

If you don't want a Bitcoin hard fork to roll back FBI, MtGox, and Pirate40 (etc) thefts, you must be SUPPORTING BITCOIN THIEVES!

That's the only logically consistent position for mETH (mutable ETH) heads to take.

Of course they don't care about silly academic issues like mutability; they are here only for the pump and dump fiat profits.

Look how gleefully they trade liberty for security; see how scornfully they dismiss the idea they don't deserve, nor will achieve, either.

Admission to VB's decentralization theater is paid in mutable tokens.

Those who deserved to lose money are being reimbursed with Helicopter Vitalik's freshly-printed monopoly money; the stench of moral hazard hangs thick in the air, choking out the brief whiff of ETH's former promise.

Only systems that are structurally incompatible with fraud don't suffer from the overhang of potential fraud.

What VB claimed to be selling: immutable tokens

What VB actually sold us: trivially mutable tokens

The invisible hand, wielding smooth's razor, begins its grisly work, cutting capitol allocation from where it is treated arbitrarily and moving it to places where the Code Is Law ethos is respected as more than just a marketing slogan.

How long until Chancellor Butarin authorizes a second round of bailouts?

It's now a matter of when, not if.  The moral overhang has been set in stone.

As of now, it's impossible to refute VB's demonstration of ETH's structural compatibility with fraud.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Perryl

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 02:55:53 PM

A pump and dump based on hype and false promises means nothing.

Vitalik sold immutable tokens and now the word has been wiped clean. This is false advertising, deceptive and bait and switch. Ethereum Classic believes in the original intent.

The repeated use of childish appeals to popularity ("nobody likes ETH Classic, neener-neener") to justify this emergent politicized governance structure do more harm than the DAO hacker ever could.

OTOH, we always knew or should have known ETH is functionally VitalikCoin.

Nevertheless, the self-serving hypocrisy burns with the fire of a hundred supervolcanoes:

If you don't want a Bitcoin hard fork to roll back FBI, MtGox, and Pirate40 (etc) thefts, you must be SUPPORTING BITCOIN THIEVES!

That's the only logically consistent position for mETH (mutable ETH) heads to take.

Of course they don't care about silly academic issues like mutability; they are here only for the pump and dump fiat profits.

Look how gleefully they trade liberty for security; see how scornfully they dismiss the idea they don't deserve, nor will achieve, either.

Admission to VB's decentralization theater is paid in mutable tokens.

Those who deserved to lose money are being reimbursed with Helicopter Vitalik's freshly-printed monopoly money; the stench of moral hazard hangs thick in the air, choking out the brief whiff of ETH's former promise.

Only systems that are structurally incompatible with fraud don't suffer from the overhang of potential fraud.

What VB claimed to be selling: immutable tokens

What VB actually sold us: trivially mutable tokens

The invisible hand, wielding smooth's razor, begins its grisly work, cutting capitol allocation from where it is treated arbitrarily and moving it to places where the Code Is Law ethos is respected as more than just a marketing slogan.

How long until Chancellor Butarin authorizes a second round of bailouts?

It's now a matter of when, not if.  The moral overhang has been set in stone.

As of now, it's impossible to refute VB's demonstration of ETH's structural compatibility with fraud.

Paraphrasing Ben Franklin like a boss.

Don't mind me, just a low activity guy that liked what you said. Nothing to see here.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 02:57:30 PM

Any exchange offering ether forked/ether classic trading pair? 99% of ether fans don't really care about smart contracts. What they do care is pump/dump opportunities and volatility. Forked/Classic ether pair would be excellent offer for such a crowd.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 03:41:44 PM

Any exchange offering ether forked/ether classic trading pair? 99% of ether fans don't really care about smart contracts. What they do care is pump/dump opportunities and volatility. Forked/Classic ether pair would be excellent offer for such a crowd.

Yeah I really hope bittrex steps up to the plate

sock54321

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 03:46:43 PM

Where is the bloody mETH/eTHC pair? Why does it take so long and to which coin does this thread actually belong to now? Fuckin' pussy-footing is incredible around here.
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 04:08:02 PM

worth read

Rejecting Today’s Hard Fork, the Ethereum Classic Project Continues on the Original Chain: Here's Why

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/rejecting-today-s-hard-fork-the-ethereum-classic-project-continues-on-the-original-chain-here-s-why-1469038808

very well said

i agree 100%

DeCrypterManiac

Activity: 550
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 04:11:23 PM

This coins should be renamed to "ImperatorCoin" or "DictatorCoin"
frostminer

Activity: 742
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 04:13:24 PM

AWESOME news!!

https://twitter.com/coinbase/status/756156926749122560

This must suck so hard for BTC Cheesy

Perryl

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 04:17:47 PM

AWESOME news!!

Not really. You must be new around here. Everybody knows that Coinbase is garbage. lol.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be added in more exchanges. Good for Eth, etc, but Coinbase is a terrible exchange.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 4994

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 04:23:45 PM

Ether proved me wrong.

No need to prove anything, you are wrong. Banks do not declare all transactions are law (IE set in stone) in their mission statement. ETH-F has broken many fundamentals it originally stated as unchangeable and has therefore broken it's contract.

You don't have to like it but it is fact. Denying it won't make it change.

ETH-F should start a new thread anyway and lock the old one just for the fact the original thread clearly proves they did not adhere to their stated goals. Duh

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
frostminer

Activity: 742
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2016, 04:31:38 PM

AWESOME news!!

Not really. You must be new around here. Everybody knows that Coinbase is garbage. lol.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be added in more exchanges. Good for Eth, etc, but Coinbase is a terrible exchange.

For me its a great place to withdraw coins .. one step less to walk without going by btc.

Pages: « 1 ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 [457] 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 1311 »
  Print  

Jump to: