Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:40:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121194 times)
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 11:30:37 PM

I have more than one address in the wallet, and sometimes I'd like to sort the btc received based on which address received it.  I haven't yet found a way to see which address received a payment without clicking "browse" and opening up a particular transation in a block exploring website.  Is there a way to sort "received" based on address?  Or just to show, for each received, which address received it?

I did not implement anything like this. Generally it is not recommended to manage addresses manually.

Hmm, I thought that was one of the main reasons you might provide "names" for addresses.  If I give you an address to pay me on and I name it "payments_from_AS" then if I want to see how much you've paid me or if you've paid me recently, I want some way to see only the payments to this address, right?  What other reason do we have for "naming" addresses in receiving addresses?

That's right, it used to be like this. It works because most clients still reuse addresses (including Bitcoin Wallet). In future, addresses will not be reused, so there is no point in labeling them.

Information about who and for what you paid will be attached to the transactions themselves, or in the far future payment objects that bundle 1..n transactions.

I'm sure when we're at that point there will be ways to search, e.g. for payments to a specific merchant.

I think you're actually saying that "it is still like this" but that you predict a future in which case addresses will not be resused. It seems like for the present, in which we can label addresses in our bitcoin wallets (including the android Bitcoin Wallet), it would be useful to be able to sort our list of "received" based on which address did the receiving.  We already have the labels and we already have a list of received, we're really just missing the sort functionality.  In bitcoind there's a command to list all received by address.  Is there no easy correllary in bitcoinj?

Speaking of the future, it seems like as long as people want an offline node for "cold storage" of funds, they'll be some folks reusing addresses, right?

Thanks for the wonderful software, by the way! For the moment, I can click on each received transaction one at a time and see which address received it by looking it up in a blockchain explorer.    So I can eventually tell which address received a particular transaction listed in the wallet, it's just a little annoying to have to go to a web-browser for this.

Are you sure there's no easy way to modify Bitcoin Wallet to allow us to see which address received a particular transaction?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abora

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:09:54 PM

BitCoinJ's problem of storage will be resolved by these thus its a welcome development

abora

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 12:22:51 PM

I've been using it for up to 2 months now and its not giving me problems I suggest upgrading to newer versions.

sed

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:23:49 AM

BitCoinJ's problem of storage will be resolved by these thus its a welcome development

Can you elaborate?

I've been using it for up to 2 months now and its not giving me problems I suggest upgrading to newer versions.

What are you talking about?  I've been using this bitcoin wallet for nearly 1.5 years, I have no problems with it.  I'm running android 4.4 (there is no newer android at the moment).

I'm talking about the fact that we can and name multiple addresses but we can't sort transactions based on which addresses were involved.  It's a feature request, not a bug report.
peer2peer360

Activity: 561

Institute of Advance Blockchain Research

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:40:39 PM

Greetings,

Hopefully im in the right place..

I have a minor situation on my hand.

Maybe the community can help a young fellow out.

Some how i managed to send Mastercoins to my andreas btc App

On my android smartphone but i dont have a SD card slot on my phone.

Ive contacted the MasterCoin team about the matter and this the reply:

Yes, your private key is inside the app.
 I downloaded and set the app up it does
 allow you to backup/export your private keys
 via email or drop box unfortunately it looks like
it forces encryption on the backup. I am not aware
if we can decrypt the encrypted backup but will try to
 look into it.

Contact developer to determine how to export an unencrypted private key.

Maybe the DEV can PM... dont wont to take up to much of your time.

Regards
Peer2Peer360
bitcnjff

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:05:30 PM

Is there an ETA for the following:
 * HD wallet
 * Password protect app
Thnx
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 11:59:20 AM

HD wallet is in early beta testing now.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:51:21 PM

Contact developer to determine how to export an unencrypted private key.

There is no unencrypted export. You could backup your wallet, decrypt that using openssl (see README) then use wallet-tool that comes with bitcoinj to view the wallet and extract the private key.

Is there an ETA for the following:
 * HD wallet
 * Password protect app
Thnx

HD wallet: Soon.
Password/PIN encrypted wallet: Will be the next feature after HD wallet.
sed

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:06:22 PM

I'm quite worried about being about to keep track of my addresses once you implement HD wallet.  I'm not yet onboard with the no address reusing and I'm quite worried that your upgrade to HD wallet will end up with me losing my bitcoins.  I'm sure this has to do with a lack of education on my part, can you comment on this?

Finally, can you comment on my above question with respect to the bitcoin rpc command 'listreceivedbyaddress' and the lack of ability to do this in Bitcoin Wallet for Android?

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:01:45 AM

I'm quite worried about being about to keep track of my addresses once you implement HD wallet.  I'm not yet onboard with the no address reusing and I'm quite worried that your upgrade to HD wallet will end up with me losing my bitcoins.  I'm sure this has to do with a lack of education on my part, can you comment on this?

Why exactly do you think you'd loose Bitcoins? Maybe it helps if you know the first HD release will never forget addresses. So even if someone continues re-using one of your address, you'll still receive all those transactions.

Finally, can you comment on my above question with respect to the bitcoin rpc command 'listreceivedbyaddress' and the lack of ability to do this in Bitcoin Wallet for Android?

Bitcoin Wallet currently doesn't support any fund separation by design, to keep the app simple. Even if it would, it would probably not use addresses for that but instead manage multiple wallets or HD chains.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

If your device is rooted, you can see the private key using root explorer.

sed

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 08:30:10 PM

Why exactly do you think you'd loose Bitcoins? Maybe it helps if you know the first HD release will never forget addresses. So even if someone continues re-using one of your address, you'll still receive all those transactions.

Bitcoin Wallet currently doesn't support any fund separation by design, to keep the app simple. Even if it would, it would probably not use addresses for that but instead manage multiple wallets or HD chains.

Thanks Andreas, I obviously need to read up a bit more about HD wallets.  Also, thanks to you for great open-source software that I can modify to implement my own listreceivedbyaddress should I be sufficiently inspired.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2014, 09:45:31 PM

When I decrypt BW's backup with openssl, it looks like there's a 12-word seed at/near the top of the output. Is that standard to be imported to other clients?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
teste

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:36:18 PM

Hi, Look the screenshot

Device: Xiaomi Mi3
Latest version of Bitcoin Wallet Android
Language: Portuguese Brazilian
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:13:12 AM

Hi, Look the screenshot

[...]

Device: Xiaomi Mi3
Latest version of Bitcoin Wallet Android
Language: Portuguese Brazilian

Same on a Galaxy Grand. The camera can still be activated, even the icon shows only half.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Nattekat

Activity: 11

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 10:05:19 PM

My mininghost pays me on a daily basis but as a side effect all those huge transactions the app becomes almost unusable. Sending coins to other addresses is almost impossible. I am pretty sure this is unnecessarily, since any crawler can be used to obtain only data I am interested in, without downloading all other addresses in the transaction.

There is no way for me to fix this problem without completly wiping my wallet, something I absolutly don't want to do. Is there any plan to fix this, or is there a workaround for my problem?
RobertKPack

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 12:18:13 PM

Based on bitcoinj, I've created and uploaded a first, experimental Bitcoin wallet implementation for Android:

http://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

You can send money just by scanning a QR code the app displays. You need to install one of the QR code scanning apps for this to work (e.g. "Goggle").

The app currently only works for testnet. Because testnet is very slow in transaction processing, it currently takes ages to update the wallet. Unfortunately, I can't switch to prodnet, because Android apps only got 4 MB of heap memory and that's not enough for the blockchain. You can use the emulator and assign a max heap size of 32 MB though.

GPLv3'ed source available here: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/

Comments anyone?

Regards,

Andreas

I agree that blockchain handling in BitCoinJ needs a lot of work..any transactions will might be at stake...you need to be sure that it alwasy safe to do it...
rapek

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 05, 2014, 01:17:14 PM

I had wallet version 3.56(177) with bitcoins used few months (backuped in Titanium Backup app+data)
I wasnt updating  to v.4.0 and I see that my wallet 3.56 hasnt all my bitcoins (last transactions from a few weeks) after synchronization.

So then I updated wallet to 4.09(199) and it crash every start... So I cleared cache of wallet and reinstall wallet version 4.09(199) and backup only data by Titanium backup (data from wallet version 3.56(177)). When statring wallet i have only white screen with wallet logo (tested for 5hours) and nothing...
What can I do?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:54:23 AM

Thanks for the corrections :

- correction of the network statut (delay in weeks or day before BTC is displayed) after have insert a private IP adress from a bitcoin core server

- add of phrase to warning user to not store a high amount of BTC on a phone when you raise a specific amount (  Grin ... )
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 11:56:54 AM

What can I do?

Nothing ... if you don't have back it up from the android wallet (specific menu "security" with the line "backup wallet now"), the backup file store in the "download" folder on SDCARD0 (internal memory on v4.3 android, external memory on v4.2 or older android).

You have cleared the install (data of application), your phone have erased the wallet file with this process.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: