Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:26:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121190 times)
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:25:31 PM

I realize that Transaction Details are experimental, but here's an interesting thing about that: As I said, I sent 20 BTC to my Bitcoin Wallet address last night. I see this transaction on Bitcoin Wallet under "Received". I also see it on blockchain.info

But when I try to view Transaction Details for this transaction on Bitcoin Wallet, it shows a "Receiver" address which is NOT my Android Bitcoin Wallet address.

When I sent my Bitcoins from my laptop address L to my Wallet address W, it sent the remainder of L to address R.

When I look at the Transaction Details, it shows "Receiver" as address R. It should be showing address W.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
barbarousrelic

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:51:54 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2012, 08:18:34 PM by barbarousrelic

I noticed now that it allows me to spend these bitcoins, right when they have passed 100 confirmations. Are 100 confirmations really necessary? That seems way too high - 5 or 6 are OK for the main client, why would 100 be required for Android Bitcoin Wallet?

it appears that this issue is on the bug tracker number 13: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=priority&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 09:50:18 PM

Note that coinbase transactions require 100 confirmations before you can spend them.
(In bitcoind you have to wait 120 confirmations for coinbase transactions.)

If the BTC you are spending has just been mined you have to wait longer before you can spend them. This is a restriction of the bitcoin network.
(The reason for this is coinbases do not survive reorgs).

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
barbarousrelic

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:12:16 PM

Note that coinbase transactions require 100 confirmations before you can spend them.
(In bitcoind you have to wait 120 confirmations for coinbase transactions.)

If the BTC you are spending has just been mined you have to wait longer before you can spend them. This is a restriction of the bitcoin network.
(The reason for this is coinbases do not survive reorgs).

My understanding is that 'coinbase' transactions involve newly mined Bitcoins? If so, that was not the case in my issue - the coins had been on my laptop wallet for months. But perhaps this is related to my problem. Maybe Bitcoin Wallet thinks they are coinbase transactions when they are not? I think having the same 100-confirmation point would be too much of a coincidence.

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 03:10:56 PM

My understanding is that 'coinbase' transactions involve newly mined Bitcoins? If so, that was not the case in my issue - the coins had been on my laptop wallet for months. But perhaps this is related to my problem. Maybe Bitcoin Wallet thinks they are coinbase transactions when they are not? I think having the same 100-confirmation point would be too much of a coincidence.

I saw something on the dev list a week or two ago about how they were migrating some stuff to a different format and storing more info about confidence levels or some such.  Did you recently do a software update (or perhaps it did it automatically) of bitcoin wallet?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:24:57 PM

Hm, I've sold people Bitcoins in person many times without that issue.

What is the transaction ID of the tx that took 100 confirmations to become spendable? The currently released version of Bitcoin Wallet doesn't understand coinbase transactions anyway (this is coming in the next version about to be released), so it feels to me more like a co-incidence of some kind and there was maybe some other issue.

Issue 13 is something different, related to change outputs.
Rachel (BitInstant)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 09:40:33 PM

This is exciting! Do you have to download the satoshi client or can you use an e-wallet for the app?
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:17:15 PM

This is exciting! Do you have to download the satoshi client or can you use an e-wallet for the app?

The app IS the wallet.  It functions similarly to the satoshi client, but all on your phone or other android device.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
barbarousrelic

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

Further information on the same problem I was having.

I have .08 bitcoins in my "Bitcoin Wallet" wallet. They have been there for over a week.

I sent .02 BTC to Satoshi Dice. I lost. Okay. Now I have .06 BTC in my wallet. I try to send another .02 BTC to SatoshiDice. And it tells me I have .06 BTC waiting for confirmation.

Looking at my wallet address on blockchain.info it says that from my wallet, .02 was sent to SatoshiDice and .06 was sent to my same wallet address I was sending from.

So I conclude that Bitcoin Wallet is waiting on confirmations for Bitcoins that were sent from my wallet back to the same wallet.

That isn't supposed to be how it works, is it? If I spend part of my Bitcoins I shouldn't have to wait to spend the remainder of them.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:32:21 PM

Further information on the same problem I was having.

I have .08 bitcoins in my "Bitcoin Wallet" wallet. They have been there for over a week.

I sent .02 BTC to Satoshi Dice. I lost. Okay. Now I have .06 BTC in my wallet. I try to send another .02 BTC to SatoshiDice. And it tells me I have .06 BTC waiting for confirmation.

Looking at my wallet address on blockchain.info it says that from my wallet, .02 was sent to SatoshiDice and .06 was sent to my same wallet address I was sending from.

So I conclude that Bitcoin Wallet is waiting on confirmations for Bitcoins that were sent from my wallet back to the same wallet.

That isn't supposed to be how it works, is it? If I spend part of my Bitcoins I shouldn't have to wait to spend the remainder of them.

Actually let me second that question. I came to the same a similar conclusion when I tried Bitcoin Wallet recently with a friend.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:41:20 PM

Yes, we know. I'll fix that soon.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:19:39 PM

Yes, we know. I'll fix that soon.

Oh, allright. Didn't know it was a known issue, just getting into this part of the bitcoin world Wink. Thanks for your great work, btw!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:57:34 PM

Bitcoin Wallet 2.23 fixes bugs and is based on bitcoinj 0.6.

The main user-facing feature is pictured in the image. You can watch pending transactions propagate through the network. As peers report the transaction, a grey circle grows. Finally, it is replaced by the well-known green block chain confirmation indication.

For the sender, this helps determining if a transaction was actually sent.

For the receiver, confidence in the validity of the transaction builds, as each peer should validate each transaction. However, this is just an indication. Nothing beats the validation power of the block chain.

Install/Upgrade Bitcoin Wallet from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:40:50 PM

Thanks for the continued work, I like the improvement.

barbarousrelic

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:43:27 PM

Wonderful!

Version 2.3 RC implements import and export of private keys to external storage. Would you help testing?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/detail?id=10

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:10:07 PM

Wonderful!

Version 2.3 RC implements import and export of private keys to external storage. Would you help testing?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/downloads/list

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/detail?id=10

Is there a guide on how to work with imported/exported keys?
For instance, what can I do with an exported key, how does the password relate to that (the private key is encrypted when exporting it from the Bitcoin Wallet app, etc). Will be useful for n00bs like me  Grin

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:13:47 PM

For instance, what can I do with an exported key, how does the password relate to that (the private key is encrypted when exporting it from the Bitcoin Wallet app, etc). Will be useful for n00bs like me  Grin

I added a little bit of info to the README (see FILES section).

The main use case is backups, which should not need much explanation. On devices with SD card, export to your SD card directly or if external storage is in fact internal, pull your backup via USB cable. Importing is the other way round (-:

For many people, the usecase will be a wallet shared between two devices. However, I advise against such a setup (due to the risk of creating invalid transactions). For this reason, I have not documented it.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:41:50 PM

I added a little bit of info to the README (see FILES section).

The main use case is backups, which should not need much explanation.

Well, the problem is that I use Windows (XP). Exporting the key to SD Card is no problem. The program also asks for a password to encrypt the private key thus exported. The point is: what should I do when I copy this encrypted private key to my Windows machine? I don't think that a bash with openssl commands will be at my disposal in windows.

Background: as with 2.23, I am having some trouble with 2.3 to get a fully updated blockchain in the Android app. Updating the chain is flacky (also after full reset of blockchain). It took me all day today to get it updated by restarting the app and numerous FC's. Now that it is updated, not all transactions are shown (compared to blockchain.info).

Don't worry, your e-mail inbox is probably full with my crash reports  Cool

Anyway,  I want to know how I can access the funds in the wallet by other means if necessary.

It is still the most gorgeous UI I have seen for an Android app so I hope the wrinkles will be ironed out in the future.

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:14:12 PM

Well, the problem is that I use Windows (XP). Exporting the key to SD Card is no problem. The program also asks for a password to encrypt the private key thus exported. The point is: what should I do when I copy this encrypted private key to my Windows machine? I don't think that a bash with openssl commands will be at my disposal in windows.

There is OpenSSL for Windows. However, I can't help you with that since I use Windows only for gaming.

You can try importing the file into Multibit, it's also available for Windows.

Background: as with 2.23, I am having some trouble with 2.3 to get a fully updated blockchain in the Android app. Updating the chain is flacky (also after full reset of blockchain). It took me all day today to get it updated by restarting the app and numerous FC's. Now that it is updated, not all transactions are shown (compared to blockchain.info).

Don't worry, your e-mail inbox is probably full with my crash reports  Cool

Your device only assigns very little memory (32 MB) to each app. Thus, you are experiencing lots of out of memory errors. Try uninstalling all apps you don't really need.

It is still the most gorgeous UI I have seen for an Android app so I hope the wrinkles will be ironed out in the future.

The plan is that memory requirement will be lowered considerably by receiving only transactions that are relevant to your wallet. However, this is still some time in the future (needs enhancements of protocol and upgrades of Satoshi clients), so your best bet is upgrading to a decent phone like the Galaxy Nexus.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:54:48 PM

I just released 2.31 final to market. So key import/export is now available to everyone. Well mostly everyone. I had to raise the minimum requirement to Froyo (Android 2.2) and above.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: