Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 280 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius: 0% Fee BTC, 105% PPS NMC, No registration, CPPSRB  (Read 1061070 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:25:05 PM

Although poorly designed mining software (*cough* cgminer) and hardware have forced us to artificially limit it Sad
Define this alleged limitation you speak of in a way that can be fixed instead of plain trolling.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:29:49 PM

Although poorly designed mining software (*cough* cgminer) and hardware have forced us to artificially limit it Sad
Define this alleged limitation you speak of in a way that can be fixed instead of plain trolling.
I don't know exactly why cgminer has this problem; it doesn't affect BFGMiner, so I never bothered investigating it.
My guess would be something that causes cgminer to not keep up with generating "struct work"s as fast as the hashers need them.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:32:05 PM

I don't know exactly why cgminer has this problem; it doesn't affect BFGMiner, so I never bothered investigating it.
My guess would be something that causes cgminer to not keep up with generating "struct work"s as fast as the hashers need them.
You are still not defining what you perceive as a problem. I have users mining with 50TH off one instance of cgminer, so I say you are just plain trolling now.

-ck
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:36:26 PM

You are still not defining what you perceive as a problem. I have users mining with 50TH off one instance of cgminer, so I say you are just plain trolling now.
Try testing with a generation transaction of 100+ kB size.
Edit: Also, I would expect it to not affect high-end hosts. Probably just embedded and crappy miner-only hosts.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:44:55 PM

You are still not defining what you perceive as a problem. I have users mining with 50TH off one instance of cgminer
Edit: Also, I would expect it to not affect high-end hosts. Probably just embedded and crappy miner-only hosts.
The host WAS mining on this pool with the 50TH without a problem

As for "crappy" miner only hosts, cointerra devices use "crappy" beaglebone boards and mine on this pool with 1.6TH per instance at 3% CPU usage.

So how big is the current generation transaction?

-ck
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:26:32 AM

You are still not defining what you perceive as a problem. I have users mining with 50TH off one instance of cgminer

As for "crappy" miner only hosts, cointerra devices use "crappy" beaglebone boards and mine on this pool with 1.6TH per instance at 3% CPU usage.

*sigh*

Depending on what I'm mining and the mood I'm in and what machine I'm using, I have used cgminer, sgminer (a derivative work) and bfgminer. All of them, let me repeat that in large letters, ALL OF THEM work well.

cgminer is the best known and most widely used. I don't really see why bfgminer doesn't have wider adoption, as it's damn good too.

You two have a long running problem with each other. I don't know, or care, what it is.

But I have a proposal. I raise the funds to get you both in a boxing ring. No holds barred fight, pay-per-view. Tickets start at .1 BTC. I take 10 percent of the profit for getting it organized. You two split the rest. You'll make money, no matter what, and have the pleasure of beating the shit out of each other.

What do you say?
x3maniac

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:30:53 AM

*sigh*

Depending on what I'm mining and the mood I'm in and what machine I'm using, I have used cgminer, sgminer (a derivative work) and bfgminer. All of them, let me repeat that in large letters, ALL OF THEM work well.

cgminer is the best known and most widely used. I don't really see why bfgminer doesn't have wider adoption, as it's damn good too.

You two have a long running problem with each other. I don't know, or care, what it is.

But I have a proposal. I raise the funds to get you both in a boxing ring. No holds barred fight, pay-per-view. Tickets start at .1 BTC. I take 10 percent of the profit for getting it organized. You two split the rest. You'll make money, no matter what, and have the pleasure of beating the shit out of each other.

What do you say?

I will buy a ticket!

x3
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:36:25 AM

for the veterans of this pool, how 'lucky' is it would you say?

[edit] I only ask because today I have watched it's blocks and it seems to be a 'bad' day - am I right?

donations not accepted
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:41:24 AM

[edit] I only ask because today I have watched it's blocks and it seems to be a 'bad' day - am I right?

Today was a rough day.  A day or two ago we were at 160% for 24 hours.  Here's where we stand now...

last 10 blocks: 80.71%
last 12 hours: 78.32%
last 24 hours: 89.24%
last 7 days: 102.27%
last 30 days: 95.79%
last 90 days: 97.27%

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
nottm28

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:45:36 AM

Today was a rough day.  A day or two ago we were at 160% for 24 hours.  Here's where we stand now...

M

Thanks mdude - at the moment it seems to be take your pick from a pile of unlucky pools...

donations not accepted
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:47:33 AM

M

Thanks mdude - at the moment it seems to be take your pick from a pile of unlucky pools...

As long as you stay somewhere, it will eventually balance out in the end assuming the pool (and operator) are functioning properly.  The lower hashrate pools will have higher variance, and it could take a long time to get to the "end".

No one was complaining about the 160% luck we had not that long ago. Smiley

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 02:02:20 AM

*sigh*

What do you say?
Happy to participate in a boxing match.

Just to be clear what the real issue is here though, as this is not a pissing match:

Luke-jr is saying the reason this pool uses a cold wallet is to store transactions they can't "fit" into the coinbase, and he is saying they do this to work around some limitation in cgminer, thereby delaying maybe a million dollars worth of rewards. All I am doing is asking what that limitation is so I can try and help. However so far it's only been some vague accusation which is as good as trolling.

-ck
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:05:31 AM

*sigh*

What do you say?
Happy to participate in a boxing match.

Just to be clear what the real issue is here though, as this is not a pissing match:

Luke-jr is saying the reason this pool uses a cold wallet is to store transactions they can't "fit" into the coinbase, and he is saying they do this to work around some limitation in cgminer, thereby delaying maybe a million dollars worth of rewards. All I am doing is asking what that limitation is so I can try and help. However so far it's only been some vague accusation which is as good as trolling.

Understood. My first post was tongue in cheek, and I'm not technical enough to address the actual issue. However, the part about the two of you having a problem with each other is evident every time you interact, and it serves neither of you. From my POV, you and he have both been easy to deal with, except when you deal with each other. I primarily use cgminer, because I like it and because it's the embedded program in my device Tongue. But when mining scrypt coins with ancient APU's, I've used bfgminer and sgminer with better results. Probably because you've concentrated more on the bleeding edge of late. No worries there, it needs doing.

If there is indeed the problem he alludes to, it's serious in that in time the network is supposed to function on tx fees alone. Given that, I think you've got a few minutes before the end of the mining cycle Cheesy

Though in retrospect, I still think a PPV brawl would be fun to produce  Cool
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 03:12:16 AM

I was in a pissing match once. I made it to 30 metres and won, but pissed all over my docs at the same time.

/OT

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:14:35 AM

As long as you stay somewhere, it will eventually balance out in the end assuming the pool (and operator) are functioning properly.  The lower hashrate pools will have higher variance, and it could take a long time to get to the "end".

It will eventually converge toward average luck no matter what you do. Even if you jump around your own results will still converge (assuming the pools are using hop-neutral payout methods).

If you want to minimize your variance you should split your hash rate between pools according to their share of the network, though any split will reduce your variance and any reasonable split will reduce your variance quite a bit. If you want to avoid fees a reasonable one is ghash+eligius+eclipse, maybe bitminter (1% fee but pays NMC and xfees), and maybe p2pool (if you feel p2pool is worth supporting despite its tiny hash rate).

No one was complaining about the 160% luck we had not that long ago. Smiley

M

True that.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:17:00 AM

As long as you stay somewhere, it will eventually balance out in the end assuming the pool (and operator) are functioning properly.  The lower hashrate pools will have higher variance, and it could take a long time to get to the "end".

It will eventually converge toward average luck no matter what you do. Even if you jump around your own results will still converge (assuming the pools are using hop-neutral payout methods).

Theoretically you could always hop to a bad luck pool. 

M

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:20:15 AM

Meanwhile.. lady luck is back.

184% on last 10 blocks
125% on 12 hours
104% on 24 hours

Apparently the block listing has a limitation on percentage.  If it's above 9000%, it just says ">9000%"  (for our 15 second block earlier today). Smiley

M

nottm28

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:07:58 PM

Sorry for another question that has no doubt been asked millions of times (couldn't find it in the faq).

My actual earnings have almost reached my 'approximate maximum potential earnings' for the day. Now I notice that my 'esitmated change' is significantly lower per block (by a factor of 10) than what it was saying earlier. Does that mean I cannot go over my 'approximate maximum potential earnings' no matter how lucky the pool is?

donations not accepted
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:13:54 PM

Sorry for another question that has no doubt been asked millions of times (couldn't find it in the faq).

My actual earnings have almost reached my 'approximate maximum potential earnings' for the day. Now I notice that my 'esitmated change' is significantly lower per block (by a factor of 10) than what it was saying earlier. Does that mean I cannot go over my 'approximate maximum potential earnings' no matter how lucky the pool is?

I don't think the two are related.  I also think the "estimated change" will vary based on pool conditions (how many users, total shares for that block/your shares for that block).

Not really sure though. 

M

un_ordinateur

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:13:28 PM

As far as I know, most of the queue is due to coins mined during failsafe mode, which were not sent as part of the generation transaction, and must be manually sent later.

During "normal" period, the queue is 3-4 blocks deep, but stays that way (except maybe during incredible lucky/unlucky streaks), and thus does not introduce that much of a delay!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 280 »
  Print  

Jump to: