Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:04:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 260 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][KARM] Karmacoin - New Initiatives - Helping People Do Good  (Read 352317 times)
Rohatagi Rahul

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:04:49 PM

On March 17th I will announce 20 BTCs worth of bounties.

Whoa... 20 BTCs?
Yes, that's right. But we need your help  Smiley

I personally with be donating about 5.5 BTCs for bounties. I will ask for the community's help funding the remainder. You can either 1) sponsor a bounty in your own name and I will add you to the post on Reddit; or 2) we'll find a way to aggregate your contribution with others.

If #1 is your option then you can choose to offer KARM or BTC.

Why are we doing this?
One of the strongest ideas of Karmacoin, I think, is the ability to provide incentive for people to do go and reward those who have done something good.

But before we get there, we need to provide our own incentives. We need Karmacoin services right now. What better way to find out how our own system will work than to use something like it in our development to foster a sense of community and to get things done at the same time?

Here is a partial list of projects for which bounties can be offered:

• YouTube/Google+ tipbot
  • web wallet for the casual user
  • QT wallet UI redesign
  • QT wallet programming to incorporate redesign
  • online wallet generator
  • web donation widget for any website
  • functional android wallet
  • subreddit header with dynamic price and volume, like Vertcoin or Potcoin
  • start 1-page Wiki of at least 500 words on the subreddit
  • a good game

Bounties will only be paid upon the successful completion of the project. This means whoever finishes it first gets the bounty. Each task is worth something different. Some may have a small bounty (like the 1-page wiki), just to get it started and done quickly so that people know we're serious.

What do you need from me now?
Just your ideas. Then on March 17th you can start donating for the bounties or sponsoring a bounty of your own. I'll post the same to the r/karmacoinproject thread so those that have access to it can help to spec out some of the requirements for tasks.

Why BTC and not Karmacoin?
If we offer BTC then we're opening up the contest to everyone. Many developers don't want to work for a coin for only payment in that coin.  Having the prize in BTC opens up the contest to more claimaints and provides a seemingly predictable bounty value.

It's too much!
Let's think about this from an economic perspective. Let's say you really believe in Karmacoin and have accumulated about 1 BTC's worth of it over the past few weeks. You can sit and watch it hover somewhere under 5 satoshis for a while, if we don't continue developing Karmacoin. But, if you add, say 0.1 BTC to the bounties and we end up with enough to do lots of great things your coins will be worth a whole lot more.

If we do the above for ~20 BTCs, the value of your coins could increase 10-20x over the next 2 months because Karmacoin is becoming tremendously awesome and useful. Your 0.1 BTC donation has helped to increase the value of your coins, now worth 10-20 BTC each. A good investment, indeed.

Think about it for a few days and then you'll know how much to donate/sponsor.

Why don't we get community talent to do it?
When people have incentive to do something then it is done with greater attention, and much faster than if they had only recognition for their work. It would be better if that wasn't the world we live in but I suppose we've been conditioned that way. We all need a little push sometimes. Even developed coin communities have trouble finishing a software task in good time. We can pool our resources together in order to substantially increase the value of our community and coin and get more things done in less time. But if a community member is the first to finish the task, then they can claim the bounty.

WE HAVE 110 000 000 KARMA for donations.  17 march Holy Festival In India.
zjtwohaha

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:20:27 PM

Whoa... 20 BTCs?

I personally with be donating about 5.5 BTCs for bounties. I will ask for the community's help funding the remainder. You can either 1) sponsor a bounty in your own name and I will add you to the post on Reddit; or 2) we'll find a way to aggregate your contribution with others.

Why are we doing this?
One of the strongest ideas of Karmacoin, I think, is the ability to provide incentive for people to do go and reward those who have done something good.

But before we get there, we need to provide our own incentives. We need Karmacoin services right now. What better way to find out how our own system will work than to use something like it in our development to foster a sense of community and to get things done at the same time?

• YouTube/Google+ tipbot
  • QT wallet UI redesign
  • a good game

Bounties will only be paid upon the successful completion of the project. This means whoever finishes it first gets the bounty. Each task is worth something different. Some may have a small bounty (like the 1-page wiki), just to get it started and done quickly so that people know we're serious.

Just your ideas. Then on March 17th you can start donating for the bounties or sponsoring a bounty of your own. I'll post the same to the r/karmacoinproject thread so those that have access to it can help to spec out some of the requirements for tasks.

If we offer BTC then we're opening up the contest to everyone. Many developers don't want to work for a coin for only payment in that coin.  Having the prize in BTC opens up the contest to more claimaints and provides a seemingly predictable bounty value.

It's too much!
Let's think about this from an economic perspective. Let's say you really believe in Karmacoin and have accumulated about 1 BTC's worth of it over the past few weeks. You can sit and watch it hover somewhere under 5 satoshis for a while, if we don't continue developing Karmacoin. But, if you add, say 0.1 BTC to the bounties and we end up with enough to do lots of great things your coins will be worth a whole lot more.

If we do the above for ~20 BTCs, the value of your coins could increase 10-20x over the next 2 months because Karmacoin is becoming tremendously awesome and useful. Your 0.1 BTC donation has helped to increase the value of your coins, now worth 10-20 BTC each. A good investment, indeed.

When people have incentive to do something then it is done with greater attention, and much faster than if they had only recognition for their work. It would be better if that wasn't the world we live in but I suppose we've been conditioned that way. We all need a little push sometimes. Even developed coin communities have trouble finishing a software task in good time. We can pool our resources together in order to substantially increase the value of our community and coin and get more things done in less time. But if a community member is the first to finish the task, then they can claim the bounty.

Best wishes to children and U.
Rohatagi Rahul

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:26:02 PM

Whoa... 20 BTCs?

Why are we doing this?

• YouTube/Google+ tipbot
  • QT wallet UI redesign
  • a good game

It's too much!

Best wishes to children and U.

Thank you. I want to make a video about KARMACOIN.
karmazaki

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 01:00:36 AM

so much great news, so amazing community and good will Smiley
such a wonderfull Karma Cheesy
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:12:46 AM

Friendly reminder, halving occurs at block 50000.  This should occur tomorrow I believe.

25 hours roughly. Lets see what happens.

I've been mining with my iMac for the past few days, have about 20k "free" Karms!  Probably burning my processor and graphics card in the processes but it's worth it :-)

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
cryptowho

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Ask me about Karmacoin

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:50:38 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 03:26:45 AM by cryptowho

Friendly reminder, halving occurs at block 50000.  This should occur tomorrow I believe.

I've been mining with my iMac for the past few days, have about 20k "free" Karms!  Probably burning my processor and graphics card in the processes but it's worth it :-)

its not worth ruining your comp man : (

i know altcoin bora is doing a 20k giveway. on reddit

looking for C++ coders , web-dev and coin-devs to join karmacoin team. We are trying to expand. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.
kosmost

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 03:14:00 AM

Hi, sorry. I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean that you have received 110 million in Karma donations already? Or that you have 110 million Karma?

I've seen Holi festival in Singapore before. It's very interesting. Thailand has something similar called Songkran. All good fun.

Workchain – Powering the Decentralized Economy
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 03:28:47 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 05:30:00 AM by kosmost

Any new thing may be a scam (especially those unannounced and unplanned) but at this time we cannot be sure.

A person's ability to communicate in English does not dictate the legitimacy of a cause (especially in another country that uses a different type of English) and neither should other things that may vary from culture to culture (such as methods of contact, website design, name confusion, etc). There are some wonderful causes where the founder can't speak English well, I'm sure. We must give people the benefit of the doubt while keeping a sharp eye. This is KarmaCoin after all. We wouldn't want others to think we're a scam, either, so it is a lesson in process for us. (That's why I'm so vocal about branding and message.. so people will give us serious consideration worldwide, including in countries where English is not widely spoken. We will have setbacks from rolling out globally as well.)

The point is that these things will come up. It's good that it's happening now because it shows us that we need a process for these sorts of things (including forum moderation, if possible) before we become more popular. This way, we can make sure that anyone using the "KarmaCoin" name in future is likely to be doing so for a legitimate reason.

Who will volunteer to create the process? We can be quick to put something down but how quick will we be to lift Karma up and "make it happen"?

And who will help to work on a solid and unified branding message so that other people will know how legitimate we are?

I've read a few stories on Reddit about how someone tried to install the Dogecoin wallet for their friends or family and was asked whether or not Dogecoin was a scam. The graphics on the Dogecoin wallet and website surely do not help them to expand their member base and be taken seriously. And old members may get tired of the memes. They're doing great things right now but they're losing active members fast as the 'shiny new toy' effect wears off. (They had 3x the subreddit participation rate this time last month.)

Let us learn from their mistakes, and be sure that people 1) not on the internet; 2) not on Reddit; 3) not "tuned in" to whatever meme we may come up; and 4) not that technical, can get a clear, concise, and unified message.

I know some of us may be turned off when I use terms like "brand message" but we must realize that we are, indeed, building a brand and will do marketing for Karmacoin. No need to try to avoid it. Better to go with what works and carve our our own sound in the "symphony for global change" that resonates with our audience.

There are lots of people in rich countries who aren't too sure about how to use anything more than email or Facebook. We must consider people in different cultures, countries, age groups, and with varying technical ability when designing the elements we use, and deciding on what words to use. We can make Karmacoin easy for the average user. This removes friction in the user experience and welcomes new users who may enjoy the ease with which they can understand and use Karmacoin.

Right now the cryptocurrency industry is like the computer industry was way back when, and we are just now coming out of the mainframe stage. Bitcoin is like the Altair 8800 stage. It's really cool and popular, but only a few people want to use it. It's more of a gateway to better things, it seems. Dogecoin could be more like the Apple II but is going the way of the wonderful and magical Tomy Tutor. Karmacoin has an opportunity now to build a standard based on good design principles that appeal to the average person and is user-friendly. We are at the forefront of this movement and we don't even realize it yet. We can choose to be the 'operating system for global good', a platform like Windows, or go the way of the IBM PC and still be big and global, but also missing a greater opportunity that was right under our nose.

Actually, no offense to the designer but when I first opened up the Karmacoin wallet I thought I had downloaded the wrong one. The brand image wasn't consistent (and I think still isn't). People that know better, know, but I am pretty sure that most people would be confused. Aside from that, the standard wallet that altcoins use is too technical for the average user. Dogecoin still hasn't released a simpler, more user-friendly wallet that (I believe) most of their user base needs. Again, we can learn from their mistakes. We must continuously learn, seek out feedback, incorporate feedback from potential users into most everything we do, know what to look for when we can't or don't get feedback, adapt to changing market forces, and listen to those outside of our circle... or die.

These considerations and more will help us to see the other side of the table when people go to our website and use Karmacoin. We don't want to have a lesson in karma when other people think that we are a scam.

Yepyep

Activity: 36

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:41:05 AM

Any new thing may be a scam (especially those unannounced and unplanned) but at this time we cannot be sure.

A person's ability to communicate in English does not dictate the legitimacy of a cause (especially in another country that uses a different type of English) and neither should other things that may vary from culture to culture (such as methods of contact, website design, name confusion, etc). There are some wonderful causes where the founder can't speak English well, I'm sure. We must give people the benefit of the doubt while keeping a sharp eye. This is KarmaCoin after all. We wouldn't want others to think we're a scam, either, so it is a lesson in process for us. (That's why I'm so vocal about branding and message.. so people will give us serious consideration worldwide, including in countries where English is not widely spoken. We will have setbacks from rolling out globally as well.)

The point is that these things will come up. It's good that it's happening now because it shows us that we need a process for these sorts of things (including forum moderation, if possible) before we become more popular. This way, we can make sure that anyone using the "KarmaCoin" name in future is likely to be doing so for a legitimate reason.

Who will volunteer to create the process? We can be quick to put something down but how quick will we be to lift Karma up and "make it happen"?

And who will help to work on a solid and unified branding message so that other people will know how legitimate we are?

I've read a few stories on Reddit about how someone tried to install the Dogecoin wallet for their friends or family and was asked whether or not Dogecoin was a scam. The graphics on the Dogecoin wallet and website surely do not help them to expand their member base (and old members may get tired of the memes) and be taken seriously.

Let us learn from their mistakes, and be sure that people 1) not on the internet; 2) not on Reddit; 3) not "tuned in" to whatever meme we may come up; 4) not that technical, can get a clear, concise, and unified message.

I know some of us may be turned off when I use terms like "brand message" but we must realize that we are, indeed, building a brand and will do marketing for Karmacoin. No need to try to avoid it. Better to go with what works and carve our our own sound in the "symphony for global change" that resonates with our audience.

There are lots of people in rich countries who aren't too sure about how to use anything more than email or Facebook. We must consider people in different cultures, countries, age groups, and with varying technical ability when designing the elements we use, and deciding on what words to use. We can make Karmacoin easy for the average user. This removes friction in the user experience and welcomes new users who may enjoy the ease at which they can understand and use Karmacoin.

Actually, no offense to the designer but when I first opened up the Karmacoin wallet I thought I had downloaded the wrong one. The brand image wasn't consistent (and I think still isn't). People that know better, know, but I am pretty sure that most people would be confused. Aside from that, the wallet is too technical for the average user. Dogecoin still hasn't released a simpler, more user-friendly wallet that (I believe) most of their user base needs. Again, we can learn from their mistakes. We must continuously learn, seek out feedback, incorporate feedback from potential users into most everything we do, know what to look for when we can't or don't get feedback, adapt to changing market forces, and listen to those outside of our circle... or die.

These considerations and more will help us to see the other side of the table when people go to our website and use Karmacoin. We don't want to have a lesson in karma when other people think that we are a scam.

Kosmost. Your doing a great job, keep up the good work. I just want to thank you for your effort!
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 03:59:15 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 10:11:26 AM by kosmost

Kosmost. Your doing a great job, keep up the good work. I just want to thank you for your effort!

Thank you. Karmacoin has inspired me to do good things and help others to spread good karma wherever they may be. The good work and words of the people in this community are certainly a big part of that inspiration. Knowing that what we are doing can have a global impact in the lives of many really keeps me going.

At the end of the month I will make a "The March 2014 Karmawards" post highlighting the wonderful work and deeds we have all done as a community for that month (though for the first one it will be since the beginning). No contribution is too small, because when you take a magnifying glass to any big movement "lots of small contributions" is exactly what you'll find.

Good stuff, everyone. To paraphrase Ted Theodore Logan, "Good things are afoot at the Circle-K". And let's make excellent things together!

Karmagood (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:41:46 AM

This Really happened to me this morning while commuting..... A SIGN!!!
Snapped it with the iPhone.

Have a Karmazing Day

Karmagood (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:43:27 AM

I will be contacting the Girl Scouts tomorrow and tell them about our results - I will keep you posted!!
CharityMiningPools

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 05:46:05 AM

CharityMiningPools - Donate to Charity while you Mine!

karm.charityminingpools.com

Be a pioneer and help us get started, come mine while making a difference.  

Mandatory 0.5% donation fee goes to the BitGive Foundation this month.  We welcome and encourage you to donate more to a good cause.

SSL, STRATUM, VARDIFF, Datacenter Redundant Server Farm, Load Balanced Servers, Frequent Backups, DDOS Protection
0.5% Mandatory Donation fee to a Good Cause, 0.5% Pool Fees, 0% AP TX Fees

Who Are We?
CharityMiningPools was created to allow miners the ability to mine coins while still knowing that their hashing power is going towards something good.  Our goal is to provide a positive and reliable service while delivering a small portion of the proceeds to a deserving recipient.  Plans are in the works to allow individual miners to choose where they would like to donate to based on a pool of available recipients.

How Does This Work?
All coins minded at CharityMiningPools will require a mandatory 0.5% Donation fee.  This donation fee will be collected and donated to the designated charitable recipient for that given month.  Though we only require a minimum 0.5% Donation fee, we welcome and encourage our miners to raise the stakes and donate more to a good cause.

Cheers!
CharityMiningPools

CharityMiningPools.com - Donate to Charity While you Mine!
BTC: 1AytEqfVYAywzM1BAKdjZWyjdiok8LgGeS     LTC: LWVPLBniwxBbEizjbe2Ab98Vubq18QGTBt
DOGE: DK4VKsA8kdVbZ2dc2CjNCsEPiPa8a2SF6B     NOTE: DrADbGTxvp4jbDFVgnwTiqk5vbAvqq2xi9
Karmagood (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:48:09 AM

Thank you. Karmacoin has inspired me to do good and help others to spread this spirit around the world. The good work and words of the people in this community are certainly a big part of that inspiration. Knowing that what we are doing can have a global impact in the lives of many really keeps me going.

At the end of the month I will make a "The March 2014 Karmawards" post highlighting the wonderful work and deeds we have all done as a community for that month (though for the first one it will be since the beginning). No contribution is too small, because when you take a magnifying glass to any big movement "lots of small contributions" is exactly that you'll find.

Good stuff, everyone. To paraphrase Ted Theodore Logan, "Good things are afoot at the Circle-K". And let's make excellent things together!

+1+1+1
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 05:56:53 AM

This Really happened to me this morning while commuting..... A SIGN!!!
Snapped it with the iPhone.

Have a Karmazing Day

Ha! That is a sign.

passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:02:51 AM

Ha! "Phase II is here"
You mean the dump phase?
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 06:11:26 AM

Ha! "Phase II is here"
You mean the dump phase?

No. Who in their right mind would sell now?

This is what we mean.

passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:17:02 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 06:27:25 AM by passionsurf

Ha! "Phase II is here"
You mean the dump phase?

This is what we mean.

yeah, good point, at the current price, better to buy than sell. I just bought 5million, and plan to hold. I just don't understand why everybody is trying to sell right now. This coin has so much more potential than rabbitcoin, which makes me frustrated that all the other miners are still stuck in the "dump phase".
kosmost

Creator of the ICO

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 07:07:10 AM

Ha! "Phase II is here"
You mean the dump phase?

This is what we mean.

yeah, good point, at the current price, better to buy than sell. I just bought 5million, and plan to hold. I just don't understand why everybody is trying to sell right now. This coin has so much more potential than rabbitcoin, which makes me frustrated that all the other miners are still stuck in the "dump phase".

It may have been some pools taking advantage of an exploit, not sure. (Someone is investigating this.) We have about 800 more blocks to go before halving, so in a week or two the pool activity should decrease substantially.

The only people selling right now are the pools, I think.

I actually don't mind because it makes it more democratic for people to get in on the ground floor. (The developer might, though.) I already know this coin is going way up.

ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:49:29 AM

Friendly reminder, halving occurs at block 50000.  This should occur tomorrow I believe.

I've been mining with my iMac for the past few days, have about 20k "free" Karms!  Probably burning my processor and graphics card in the processes but it's worth it :-)

its not worth ruining your comp man : (

i know altcoin bora is doing a 20k giveway. on reddit

I know, just doing it for a few days to say I did.  Already have close to 200M Karms, so just a drop in the bucket Smiley Hoping to get some more at 1 Sat soon.

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 260 »
  Print  

Jump to: