Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:04:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 260 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][KARM] Karmacoin - New Initiatives - Helping People Do Good  (Read 352315 times)
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:39:29 AM

IMHO it look like logo for infants. I thought after first look it is some seal.

This version?

lol, i guess it's all about perspective. I just thought karma could use a more playful appearance since the idea behind the coin is to do good. I didn't think the current logo conveyed that idea, and a generic letter 'K' would probably have felt too corporate and overdone at this point.

I actually really like this one, despite the fact that it is a bit too cartoony and feminine (no offense, girls). That and colors should be easily fixable. I like it because it looks really nice, has few enought details to be recognisable in small icon (many other suggestions fails in this case), I like how it breaks out boring circle a bit too. It could be tweaked to be a really nice logo.

+1

This logo is awesome.
logo is so gud!

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jtpeters

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:42:44 AM

Dear All,

when considering your vote for the KarmaCoin Logos I would invite you to be mindful of the following:

KarmaCoin is not a company, it is a Currency and Payment system. If you have forgotten what currencies look like.. please do open your wallet and look at the level detail on both the coins and notes.
 and then ask yourself the these questions... would I be comfortable using a coin with this logo for buying groceries, a car, even a house? would I be comfortable accepting money with this logo as payment for my services? would I pay school fees with it? would i pay hospital bills with it? would I donate this to my local church/temple/charity?

all these questions are important as they will tell you how useful the design is likely to be in every day life.

I completely understand and agree with people's comments that a design must be simple enough so that it is easily recognizable when minimized (ie on tabs and bottom corners of pages etc) and from far away, but at the same time, we do also need full sized elaborate designs, that actually look like money, which can go on cover pages of magazines, websites etc with enough detail to really hold peoples attention..

now with that being said.. I would like to invite you all to make your way over to Reddit and vote on whatever designs you like. After all this is a free economy and every vote counts.

thank you for your participating in the creation of better value for KarmaCoin and its community.

Sincerely here for the long haul,

Alphi. (some random guy that wandered in and thought this coin was a good idea)

When it comes to a logo, it makes no difference what it is used for. The only question is, "Will my potential market like it?". And if it's a good logo, "Will my potential market be moved by it?"

Hopefully, the logo will move (i.e., compel to action, or inspire) the greatest number of people to act, not just a small niche.

If Karmacoin is used globally then it should be globally-appealing.

(Being married to a Buddhist and having gone to temples numerous times I can tell you that no Buddhist would want their symbols associated with a financial instrument. It goes against the Buddhist maxims. That is another reasons a religious symbol like a dharma wheel or a lotus flower would be a mistake. Because it would only be attractive to those who don't really know what those symbols mean.)
Alphi

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:03:23 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 06:33:03 AM by Alphi

(Being married to a Buddhist and having gone to temples numerous times I can tell you that no Buddhist would want their symbols associated with a financial instrument. It goes against the Buddhist maxims. That is another reasons a religious symbol like a Dharma wheel or a lotus flower would be a mistake. Because it would only be attractive to those who don't really know what those symbols mean.)

you might be married to a purist who does not believe in material things but to say that all Buddhists reject the idea of linking symbols with money is completely false. There are many different schools of thought with many different positions on money. yes of course devout monks DO reject all forms of money and materialism but that has never stopped coins covered in Buddhist symbols from being created by Buddhist kingdoms and even temples.

in history there are plenty of coins with Dharma wheels, Swastikas, Lotuses, Bodhisatvas, the buddha himself.. all over them.. I even have some Buddhist temple tokens in my (real) coin collection...

I would argue that any purist (of any belief system) who does not believe in materialism would have no need for KarmaCoin at all and so would probably be one of the last people on earth to use it.

As I said in my open letter.. people are confusing Marketing Logos with Currency. they are not the same thing and it would be mindful to consider both when voting.

here is a coin from the modern buddhist kingdom of Bhutan you can clearly see the swastika and dharma wheel

here is an old tibetan coin where you can see the 8 fold lotus and Dharma wheel

this I think is an ancient mauryan coin showing a bodhisatva or buddha..

and woah here is one coin from sri lanka which has the Dharma Wheel, Buddha and a Lotus' all on the same coin!

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
DOGE:   DRN7pXid34o6wQgUuK8BoSjWJ5g8jiEs4e
jtpeters

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:32:18 AM

(Being married to a Buddhist and having gone to temples numerous times I can tell you that no Buddhist would want their symbols associated with a financial instrument. It goes against the Buddhist maxims. That is another reasons a religious symbol like a Dharma wheel or a lotus flower would be a mistake. Because it would only be attractive to those who don't really know what those symbols mean.)

you might be married to a purist who does not believe in material things but to say that all Buddhists reject the idea of linking symbols with money is completely false. There are many different schools of thought with many different positions on money. yes of course devout monks DO reject all forms of money and materialism but that has never stopped coins covered in Buddhist symbols from being created by Buddhist kingdoms and even temples.

in history there are plenty of coins with Dharma wheels, Swastikas, Lotuses, Bodhisatvas, the buddha himself.. all over them.. I even have some Buddhist temple tokens in my (real) coin collection...

I would argue that any purist (of any belief system) who does not believe in materialism would have no need for KarmaCoin at all and so would probably be one of the last people on earth to use it.

As I said in my open letter.. people are confusing Marketing Logos with Currency. they are not the same thing and it would be mindful to consider both when voting.
[snips]

Karmacoin is not a religious coin. It therefore should not have religious symbols.

All of the Buddhists I have spoken with (about 4) would love to use Karmacoin. I polled some people about 3 weeks ago when I was looking for projects that could be supported by Karmacoin. They are all familiar with Bitcoin. 1 was familiar with Dogecoin.

Most Buddhists are quite modern and are as materialistic and consumerist as anyone else. I can't count how many times I've seen monks using mobiles, for example. A couple have even been involved in real estate transactions. But to put Buddhist-like symbols on money is patently offensive.

Whatever we did we should poll the potential market to see how they feel about it. (And if we're using the symbols of a religion, polling those who hold those symbols dear, so as not to offend them. That would be bad karma.)
Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:38:55 AM

Karmacoin is not a religious coin. It therefore should not have religious symbols.

firstly we have already gone over that topic... Dharma and Karma are not religious concepts in and of themselves.. they predate most of the worlds religions.

But to put Buddhist-like symbols on money is patently offensive.

secondly.. how can you make that claim that when countries of all religions have been doing that very thing for thousands of years?

KARMA: KSc9oGgGga1TS4PqZNFxNS9LSDjdSgpC1B      VERT: VgKaooA5ZuLLUXTUANJigH9wCPuzBUBv9H
jtpeters

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:41:39 AM

we have already gone over that topic... Dharma and Karma are not religious concepts in and of themselves.. they predate most of the worlds religions.

As you may read, I was referring to the symbology. Dharma is, indeed, religious.

But my point is that when designing a logo we should use something that does not already have direct meaning. If we're using something that does we would do well to make it new in some way (color, interesting design, unexpected or novel elements, etc.) As in, a new yet familiar symbol.
jtpeters

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:44:20 AM

firstly we have already gone over that topic... Dharma and Karma are not religious concepts in and of themselves.. they predate most of the worlds religions.

But to put Buddhist-like symbols on money is patently offensive.

secondly.. how can you make that claim that when countries of all religions have been doing that very thing for thousands of years?

We're talking about a startup in the form of a coin, Karmacoin, not a country.

We want to do good things. If the foundation of our coin (the logo) is offensive to some or many, would this not go against the idea of the coin?

It is not worth the risk. It is also not good design. There's not much else to be said about it, because it is not important to use such symbols in our coin.
Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:45:57 AM

As you may read, I was referring to the symbology. Dharma is, indeed, religious.

as you might like to read.. no it isn't... its a philosophical construct used by many different religions.
can you point to the Dharma wheel and tell me which religion it represents?

But my point is that when designing a logo we should use something that does not already have meaning. As in, a new yet familiar symbol.

then why aren't you arguing for a change in the name?, by your own logic this coin has a very religious name..

jtpeters

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:50:31 AM

as you might like to read.. no it isn't... its a philosophical construct used by many different religions.
can you point to the Dharma wheel and tell me which religion it represents?

But my point is that when designing a logo we should use something that does not already have meaning. As in, a new yet familiar symbol.

then why aren't you arguing for a change in the name?, by your own logic this coin has a very religious name..

"a philosophical construct used by many different religions" = a religious symbol. It doesn't matter if it's important to 1 religion or many.

Karmacoin is a very good name, imo. It's easy to remember and pronounce. It means different things to different people. It's also in English. It's also a name most Buddhists would probably not understand. (Nevermind many would call it something like "kammacoin" or "kalmcoin", because it has a "r" sound.) To me, that makes it more generic. A symbol, however, is more universal.

There's no need to discuss something that we won't use, anyway. No need to beat a dead horse. Whatever lines of reasoning we come up with would be fruitless because of it.
Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:50:58 AM

We want to do good things. If the foundation of our coin (the logo) is offensive to some or many, would this not go against the idea of the coin?

what are you talking about how is a wheel offensive to anyone? nobody is suggesting putting swastika or nuclear symbol on the coin .. jeez...

a wheel is no more symbolic than an elephant or a smiley face... all the wheel represents is movement along a path... a path which hopefully most people would like to share..

yes I agree I would be concerned if someone wanted to put a masonic symbol or something with a hidden agenda on the coin... but cmon man lighten up and actual read what Dharma wheels are all about before you go saying they are symbols of any particular religion.

trcwhale

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:58:23 AM

what are you talking about how is a wheel offensive to anyone? nobody is suggesting putting swastika or nuclear symbol on the coin .. jeez...

a wheel is no more symbolic than an elephant or a smiley face... all the wheel represents is movement along a path... a path which hopefully most people would like to share..

yes I agree I would be concerned if someone wanted to put a masonic symbol or something with a hidden agenda on the coin... but cmon man lighten up and actual read what Dharma wheels are all about before you go saying they are symbols of any particular religion.

Elephant is much better than wheel or a symbol. We need something funny and less serious. Besides logo should be simple too. No wheels plz. I am voting for elephant logo with my feet, hands and tail.

Make it simple and remembering.
Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:59:15 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 07:12:33 AM by Alphi

"a philosophical construct used by many different religions" = a religious symbol. It doesn't matter if it's important to 1 religion or many.

There's no need to discuss something that we won't use, anyway. No need to beat a dead horse. Whatever lines of reasoning we come up with would be fruitless because of it.

by your logic a wine glass, an egg and loaf of bread are probably religion symbols too... lol...

yes I get the point.. YOU don't like it.. and YOU don't want it... so how about YOU let the people decide before YOU say it wont be used?

after all its the people who vote and then the creators who have the final say.... not you or I...

I personally liked the design because looks nice, carries meaning, fits with the name and doesn't offend me at all...

Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:59:54 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 07:18:10 AM by Alphi

Elephant is much better than wheel or a symbol. We need something funny and less serious. Besides logo should be simple too. No wheels plz. I am voting for elephant logo with my feet, hands and tail.

Make it simple and remembering.

I like the elephant too.. im pro choice and pro diversity and I absolutely agree with making the coin more funny and less serious...

I'd like to see a crypto that can be taken seriously but is also fun and easy enough for kids to use so that we can ween them off the dangerous idea of borrowing money from banks to live.

imagine freeing an entire generation of people from the slavery mess that is the "fractional reserve banking system"... now that would be some seriously good Karma...

david4r4

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:06:01 AM

i have a problem with my wallet...

someone knows why?
it is the latest version of wallet.
it is also stuck at block 29001

I had the same problem when my blockchain got corrupted.. you can safely delete the blocks and chain state directories and re-download the blockchain.
its only 105MB at the moment.

in windows your Karma files are located here by default..

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Karmacoin

make sure you backup your wallet.dat and whatever you do, do not delete wallet.dat.. (all your keys are in there!)

how can i backup my wallet.dat?
and from where i download the blockchain?

just make a copy of it ... and keep it somewhere safe (make sure you encrypt it first though using encrypt wallet in the KarmaCoin Client)

the client (Karmacoin-QT) will download the blockchain automatically when you start it up again...
i deleted the blocks and chain state and re loaded them. it is stuck again at block 29000.
same problem. i cant take out my coins from there!
Alphi

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:10:25 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 09:22:52 AM by Alphi

i deleted the blocks and chain state and re loaded them. it is stuck again at block 29000.

there is a log file in that directory too.. does it have any errors in it ? you can open it in notepad or write.

oh another obvious question but .. you do have enough free space on your C: drive right?

and PS you haven't lost any money... as long as you have the wallet.dat file you can copy it to any computer and get to your funds..

wakasaki808

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:12:29 AM

someone knows why?

I had the same problem when my blockchain got corrupted.. you can safely delete the blocks and chain state directories and re-download the blockchain.

make sure you backup your wallet.dat and whatever you do, do not delete wallet.dat.. (all your keys are in there!)

just make a copy of it ... and keep it somewhere safe (make sure you encrypt it first though using encrypt wallet in the KarmaCoin Client)

the client (Karmacoin-QT) will download the blockchain automatically when you start it up again...

I would suggest copying the wallet.dat file from your "Roaming/Karmacoin" somewhere safe. Deleting the particular "Karmacoin" folder and re-click your Karmacoin-qt. Delete the wallet.dat file that was newly created during the process located in your "Roaming/Karmacoin" folder and place the old wallet.dat(that you saved somewhere safe) in it's place. Your coins are safe in your wallet.dat file if anything.

Best way to start "clean" imo I've done it whenever I had trouble with a wallet.
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:34:57 AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
pugwilfy

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:09:37 AM

guys what are you thoughts on leaving funds in mintpal, do you trust them not to go down any time soon? have they secured the server in a way to prevent the issues we have seen with other markets recently?

reason i ask is i am back at work next week, so if i see a good price come up that i want to sell my coins at i will be able to process that from my phone on the move, but i obviously need to be able to store my karm and then my BTC in mintpal and trust that they wont have issues..
spitfire1337

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:10:44 AM

someone knows why?

Block 29000 is when the new rewards kicked in and would require the latest wallet. This gives me the idea that you are getting stuck because your using the outdated wallet. What's the wallet version you have installed?
brightlight
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:36:38 AM

Who are those guys, who sell for 3 sats. Is this coin really so bad? After some moments, new website comes to folks, where they could actively be involved.... Some greedy guys are standing behind. What if all Karmas will be sold at 3 sats, what's next? I want Karmacoin to be alive with it's doing good is good moto. There are so much bad things happening, let's spread the world goodness... I have decided to give part of my KARMAs for better world, but only when it will be valuable. Not now, when traders are dumping shareable wealth to ground!
Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 260 »
  Print  

Jump to: