Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrency  (Read 127170 times)
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:19:51 PM

rofl wait, we(the community) give whats his face with ixcoins a ton of crap over what, 2 million coins or so?  And this has 7.7 million?

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:31:54 PM

lol@7million pre-mined coins
racerguy

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:33:19 PM

also how is 7million coins possible? when i started mining there were only 400 something blocks.
Lolcust (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:33:30 PM

lol@7million pre-mined coins

Same way as with Geist. Subsidy code trick.

rofl wait, we(the community) give whats his face with ixcoins a ton of crap over what, 2 million coins or so?  And this has 7.7 million?

given that in fact, the existence of the fund was both explicitly stated in first post and in the config,  I am somewhat surprised that you have missed something that was never concealed in the first place.

At least unlike some people, I don't have taxes and am reluctant to pay people for twitspamming (maybe I should ? After all, that facilitates adoption. Hmmmm...), and didn't clutter the blockchain with a ton of blocks (all my fund sits neatly in 1 block lol Smiley )

As to the question of whether large-scale premining constitutes an affront to the spirit of alt-currencies comparable to taxes (affront everyone except maybe Namecoin engaged in), arguments pro et contra were fleshed out when discussing my Geist fund. Let me find a link Smiley EDIT link

P.S.:

The problem with ix wasn't that he had a premined fukton, the problem was that he tried to "bribe" Gavin with them IIRC. That was not nice.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
racerguy

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:41:29 PM

so even after 3 years you'd still be sitting on 50% of the money supply (- whatever bounties i guess).  It's unreasonable to think people are going to be ok with using a money when 1 person controls so much.  I've been interested in a faster blockchain version of bitcoin for a while, solidcoin was kinda promising but yeah...I guess this coin isn't right either.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1651
Merit: 1284

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:43:16 PM

Given that there are 7,700,000 premined coins in this chain and the target is 7200 coins per day (25 coins per block * 12 blocks/hr * 24 hours=7200 coins)...and 7,700,00 / 7200 = 1069 days until the network catches up to the number of premined coins....hmmm 3 years.

Well, I just got bored of arguing with a bunch of dudes in PM about how much should I premine and decided to use same number (as a matter of fact, same string) I used for Geist

GeistGeld creates 40320 coins every day. It will take 7.7MM / 40320 = 191 days for the network to catch up.
Ixcoin creates 13824 coins every day. It will take 580K / 13824 = 42 days for the network to catch up.

3 years is a ridiculously long time. You probably should have listened to people's advice to not premine this many coins. It's hard for people to take this coin seriously if it takes 3 years before you have less than 50% of the total coins.

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:45:53 PM

so even after 3 years you'd still be sitting on 50% of the money supply (- whatever bounties i guess).  It's unreasonable to think people are going to be ok with using a money when 1 person controls so much.  I've been interested in a faster blockchain version of bitcoin for a while, solidcoin was kinda promising but yeah...I guess this coin isn't right either.

Did you check out that article about how much bitcoins "never moved" ?

Or for that matter do people mind trading diamonds which are pretty explicitly cartelized ? Or USD of which USA not only sits a fuckton on, but can spawn more at a whim (Unlike poor old me Wink ?

Besides, I intend to bind the majority of those "moneysez"  into the buffer of my laundry project, thus ensuring myself a steady income that does not involve "spending" the premined coins proper and thus does not negatively affect the market even in most theoretical sense.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:49:45 PM

Given that there are 7,700,000 premined coins in this chain and the target is 7200 coins per day (25 coins per block * 12 blocks/hr * 24 hours=7200 coins)...and 7,700,00 / 7200 = 1069 days until the network catches up to the number of premined coins....hmmm 3 years.

Well, I just got bored of arguing with a bunch of dudes in PM about how much should I premine and decided to use same number (as a matter of fact, same string) I used for Geist

GeistGeld creates 40320 coins every day. It will take 7.7MM / 40320 = 191 days for the network to catch up.
Ixcoin creates 13824 coins every day. It will take 580K / 13824 = 42 days for the network to catch up.

3 years is a ridiculously long time. You probably should have listened to people's advice to not premine this many coins. It's hard for people to take this coin seriously if it takes 3 years before you have less than 50% of the total coins.

Actually, the argument was between 6 and 9 mils.

I could have picked 6, but hey, like I already said in the GG thread, utility of such premined constructs is binding them into some project, because selling them off is untenable even theoretically

People take Sovereign Coin with taxes "seriously", my little "fun-d" with its explicit intent of funding bounties and serving as a laundry buffer is a small and meek fish compared to the glory of taking a chunk' o coins from every miner "FOR PROTECSHUN!"  Roll Eyes

Feed the Lolcust!
coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 PM

The problem with ix wasn't that he had a premined fukton, the problem was that he tried to "bribe" Gavin with them IIRC. That was not nice.

You got it wrong. The problem was not the bribe. It was the premined coins. That's why i0coin was created in the first place! The "0" in i0coin stands for 0 coins premined. i0coin == ixcoin with 0 coins premined. Who wants to create t0nebrix? Smiley

racerguy

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:52:50 PM

well as long as your intentions are good have all the pre-mined coins you want.  My plans for
tenebrix were mostly devious so you should have mine too.

so even after 3 years you'd still be sitting on 50% of the money supply (- whatever bounties i guess).  It's unreasonable to think people are going to be ok with using a money when 1 person controls so much.  I've been interested in a faster blockchain version of bitcoin for a while, solidcoin was kinda promising but yeah...I guess this coin isn't right either.

Did you check out that article about how much bitcoins "never moved" ?

Or for that matter do people mind trading diamonds which are pretty explicitly cartelized ? Or USD of which USA not only sits a fuckton on, but can spawn more at a whim (Unlike poor old me Wink ?

Besides, I intend to bind the majority of those "moneysez"  into the buffer of my laundry project, thus ensuring myself a steady income that does not involve "spending" the premined coins proper and thus does not negatively affect the market even in most theoretical sense.

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:58:26 PM

You got it wrong. The problem was not the bribe. It was the premined coins. That's why i0coin was created in the first place! The "0" in i0coin stands for 0 coins premined. i0coin == ixcoin with 0 coins premined. Who wants to create t0nebrix? Smiley

That should be a fairly trivial affair.

However, at this point premining is the norm (Explicit protecshun racket in the blockchain is the new black in atrocities of coinmaking  Sad ). And if I premine, I may as well premine meself a good laundry buffer that could keep spinnin' as long as coin exists (without affecting the market negatively) and some decent bounty safety net (which I'd really rather spend people for code and cool stuff then paying twitspam, something I am contemplating but am very reluctant to engage in)

If anything, such a large size is indicative of lack of intent to selloff
seriously, if I wanted to sell-off I would have privately mined a few hundred thousands using a subtler trick that I could actually expect to be "hidden until too late".
Selling off several millions is just plain unpossible

well as long as your intentions are good have all the pre-mined coins you want.  My plans for tenebrix were mostly devious so you should have mine too.

Oh, do go forwards with your devious plans, Tenebrix wellcomes all the plans Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
racerguy

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:04:16 AM

you seem to be using the creator of solidcoin as your moral compass, as long as what you do isn't quiet as bad as him you seem to be ok with it.  You need to realize realsolid isn't the coinminting mentor you make him out to be.

That should be a fairly trivial affair.

However, at this point premining is the norm (Explicit protecshun racket in the blockchain is the new black in atrocities of coinmaking  Sad ). And if I premine, I may as well premine meself a good laundry buffer that could keep spinnin' as long as coin exists (without affecting the market negatively) and some decent bounty safety net.

well as long as your intentions are good have all the pre-mined coins you want.  My plans for tenebrix were mostly devious so you should have mine too.

Oh, do go forwards with your devious plans, Tenebrix wellcomes all the plans Wink
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:15:21 AM

you seem to be using the creator of solidcoin as your moral compass, as long as what you do isn't quiet as bad as him you seem to be ok with it.  You need to realize realsolid isn't the coinminting mentor you make him out to be.

Not so much a mentor as a kind of "negative reference". Much in the "I may be mean-spirited, but at least I don't eat babies" way Cheesy

Seriously though, do you really thing I would try to sell of, ahem, millions ? That's a fairly silly thing to do with millions of coins (for reasons I already elaborated upon in the previous thread Wink )

If premining, you can at least seek to achieve maximum project utility by premining enough to start a unique service that does not involve selling coins and enough to pay some bounties.

Of course I could have premined a few hundreds or thousands, but that would just mean that I would have gotten all the same ire for far less potential utility (mind you, most of this utility for me is not derived from selling the premined brixage  )

EDIT:

Pardon, but I have to ask...

Why are your quotes below your posts ? It seems verily unusual Smiley

Feed the Lolcust!
coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:16:05 AM

seriously, if I wanted to sell-off I would have privately mined a few hundred thousands using a subtler trick that I could actually expect to be "hidden until too late".

I don't understand this argument. You don't have to sell off several million at once. You can sell off a thousand each day for the next 20 years! Why even bother with a laundering service. There's really no incentive for you to do that when you can have a steady income for the next 20 years.

Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:25:16 AM

I don't understand this argument. You don't have to sell off several million at once. You can sell off a thousand each day for the next 20 years!

Ensuring price stagnation along the way and having to bother with speculating the market in a manner that doesn't spook it too much with my mighty coinage (and boy wouldn't it be easy to spook it given public nature of blockchains) Smiley

meh. Too much mess.

Why even bother with a laundering service.

Because it keeps on trucking with very little effort, after set up, and since coins bound in it are not in the market proper ensuring that I don't "accidentally the price".

Technically, the only difference between "unmoving bitcoins" and "little fun-d" is that it's concentrated under the control of one person you actually sorta can talk to me, unlike unknown number of mysterious people who may or may not be willing to use the coins in a manner you may or may not agree with.

There's really no incentive for you to do that when you can have a steady income for the next 20 years.

To do that, I would actually have to  speculate for 20 or whatever years.

To implement the laundry, I only need to pay coders and security auditors once, and receive fairly stable proceeds semi-anonymously with little effort down the line.

Feed the Lolcust!
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:31:58 AM

New conspiracy theory:

CoinHunter IS Lolcust.  CH enters the scene and is ultra-douche, so when Lolcust enters, he's the lesser evil.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:33:17 AM

I don't understand this argument. You don't have to sell off several million at once. You can sell off a thousand each day for the next 20 years! Why even bother with a laundering service. There's really no incentive for you to do that when you can have a steady income for the next 20 years.

That's my thought.

With a laundry set up you can sell them without it looking like it's you selling them, transfers to your own wallet look exactly as clean as transfers to someone else's wallet.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:35:50 AM

That's my thought.

With a laundry set up you can sell them without it looking like it's you selling them, transfers to your own wallet look exactly as clean as transfers to someone else's wallet.

You do reallize that the fact that the "laundry buffer" is shrinking while no "turnover" buffer of similar size is being formed somewhere in the chain is trivial to detect ?

Also, as to speculate scenario specifically:

To speculate for 20 years with millions of coins I would need to 1) learn to speculate 2) ensure long term viability of the project (If something bad happens in 10 years, so long ze profitz), so that at least signifies a dedication to the project viability and by far would not be the worst thing to happen.

However, I cannot into speculation and find it too easy to "break", given very explicit nature of my fun-d's existence.

Thus, the most reasonable way appears to ensure long-term viability of project by paying bounties for project-beneficial contributions, and binding the rest in some laundry or perhaps another scheme that generates profit without selling those premined units off.

Basically, I need my humble alt-coins to live long and prosper so that my laundries could spin on full auto, bringing me stable and effortless (if not outrageously huge) anonymous(ish) income.

Feed the Lolcust!
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:37:27 AM

New conspiracy theory:

CoinHunter IS Lolcust.  CH enters the scene and is ultra-douche, so when Lolcust enters, he's the lesser evil.

Actually, I'm Satoshi. I just pretend to be a graphic designer of *cough* limited *cough* coding talent from Belarus because that's a fun thing to do Wink

Japanese humor, go figure.

Feed the Lolcust!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:46:30 AM

There is no good way out once you're accused of being Satoshi; Satoshi is considered to be such a genius, that it is obvious that if he wanted to participate without revealing himself as being the Satoshi he would create an identity that wouldn't easily be matched to Satoshi; being different from Satoshi is what Satoshi would do. On the other hand, if you have similarities to Satoshi, it could be said Satoshi intentionally lets those similarities be present so people can point out Satoshi wouldn't be dumb enough to be that obvious if he wanted to stay under the radar.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: