Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:20:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrency  (Read 127175 times)
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 09:05:24 AM

Spacy=>smellsFish=>postsAssumption

Fixed it for you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lolcust (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 09:12:27 AM

Spacy=>smellsFish=>postsAssumption

Fixed it for you Smiley

You forgot a space between <ass> and <umption> Smiley

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 09:39:34 AM

Yes, the TBX generation will be infinite, but still doesn't warrant premining 7.7 million coins and keeping them for yourself, because simply having such stash of coins may demotivate people from mining and essentially make this fork die before it becomes three years old. However, since what has been done is done, you should just put up the suggested poll and see what should be done.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 09:42:05 AM

let me make this really simple:
two options:
#1  - One guy with 7.7 million coins who promises in anonymous net forum not to sell the coin and be a really good guy wile rest of the community only has a tiny fraction of total the coins. 
#2  - hundreds of adopters (early miners) with coins who like to see it succeeded and last for a long time because they have invested time and resources. 

Let me see now...
1 guy with 7.7 million coin or strong community with 7.7 million coins... 

i've changed my mind on this, it's not 1 guy with 7million coins, it's a currency with an equivilent 3 year money supply for a laundry to facilitate anonymous transactions (one of bitcoins possible weaknesses).  If this laundry is used as a laundry it will actually add value to the currency, and i've become convinced Locust is serious about this laundry, well convinced enough to gamble what i've mined so far on it.  

That said I would still like to see a faucet with 1-2mil in it for non early adaopters, distributing it to the early miners seems entirely pointless to me(and i'm an early miner).
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 09:46:07 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2011, 10:26:15 AM by Lolcust

Yes, the TBX generation will be infinite, but still doesn't warrant premining 7.7 million coins and keeping them for yourself, because simply having such stash of coins may demotivate people from mining

How so, if I don't sell ?

Does the DeBeers diamond megastash demotivate people from mining and refining diamonds to make a profit ?

Do the goldbugs somehow demotivate gold-producing companies by their massive bullion hoards ?

No sense, that claim makes.

But I am, like I said, willing to move a portion of the fund out of my control and into a full-auto community-beneficial project, just to alleviate some of the distaste.

However, since what has been done is done, you should just put up the suggested poll and see what should be done.

The problem with poll is that it is, by design, abusable by people who strongly dislike Tenebrix (for deploying a CPU-friendly Cryptothing with a premined fuckton before they deployed their CPU-friendly cryptothing with premined fuckton and honest to god racket built in ~__^)

I am still thinking about how to best go about it.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
Matoking

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 10:31:46 AM

The problem with poll is that it is, by design, abusable by people who strongly dislike Tenebrix (for deploying a CPU-friendly Cryptothing with a premined fuckton before they deployed their CPU-friendly cryptothing with premined fuckton and honest to god racket built in ~__^)

It's still better than one person deciding everything.

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 10:34:58 AM

It's still better than one person deciding everything.

"Everything" is a huge overstatement. Also, I doubt that a weak poll is necessarily better.

Feed the Lolcust!
Matoking

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 10:40:38 AM

That's still ~97% of all the brix existing at the moment, so I don't think it's a huge overstatement.

Bitcoin-otc
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 10:42:36 AM

That's still ~97% of all the brix existing at the moment, so I don't think it's a huge overstatement.

Again. Diamonds. DeBeers.

Owners of mega-stashes have no interest in selling off because their stashes aren't just "big", they are MEGA.

Besides, I need most of those moneys for the laundry buffer, not for hookers & blow (and I need a smaller portion of those money to hire better programmers than myself, and pay bounties to exchanges and such)

I am perfectly okay with reducing my stash in a manner that will benefit late-adopters (faucet) and reduces the amount of distaste people have for the fund (since it will be, in effect, smaller), but methinks that destroying superfund completely is a mite questionable, due to system opportunity loss.

Feed the Lolcust!
racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 10:51:53 AM

the coins never enter the market, or they do by taking used coins off the market.  The laundry is tenebrix's 'killerapp', it's what sets it apart from the other coins.
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 10:58:44 AM

the coins never enter the market, or they do by taking used coins off the market.  The laundry is tenebrix's 'killerapp', it's what sets it apart from the other coins.

Exactimundo!

Also, the "non laundry" part ensures there is a "coder reward reserve" for quick response to issues, and allows me to give them exchange people "liquidity bounty" they demand (do note that I always work with the exchange that asks for smallest one)

You know what, I've got a Linux daemon to fix so we can have a pool, a faucet and an exchange.

I will donate 1.5 mils[EDITED: scratch that, let it be 2 mils] to the faucet so that my stash is no longer obnoxiously big and doesn't rub the eye of SEMH folks and "sport competitive" people so much.

I hope that kills the premining crab.

Feed the Lolcust!
Matoking

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 11:07:31 AM

Okay, I'll believe you for now.

It's just that one person owning a huge stash of TBX may be dangerous, not only because it reeks of centralization which goes against the principle of the Bitcoin and all the related forks, but because if that person were to lose his TBX somehow, that would be 7,700,000 TBX gone for good. I would suggest at least to spread them around a bit, so it wouldn't be one person with a huge stash of TBX, but few people with relatively huge stashes of TBX. (think, mining pool, faucet, misc. funding, et cetera.)

And not "later", but soon. Preferably now.

Bitcoin-otc
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 11:14:17 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2011, 11:33:31 AM by Lolcust

Okay, I'll believe you for now.

Thanks.

Also, you may take a look at my other baby (it has blockexplorer and exchange, Geist Geld is the name) and observe a distinct lack of "lolcust scurries to sell off"
It's just that one person owning a huge stash of TBX may be dangerous, not only because it reeks of centralization which goes against the principle of the Bitcoin and all the related forks, but because if that person were to lose his TBX somehow, that would be 7,700,000 TBX gone for good.

Well, it does have a whiff of centralization to it, but so do blockchain lockins.

If I accidentally destroy the encrypted thumbie I hold that wallet on, it will not cause the market to collapse since coins destroyed != coins sold. But that would of course impact my ability to run a laundry and hire coders Wink So I keep it really, really safe Smiley

I would suggest at least to spread them around a bit, so it wouldn't be one person with a huge stash of TBX, but few people with relatively huge stashes of TBX. (think, mining pool, faucet, misc. funding, et cetera.)

1) Faucet is decided upon, as above

2) Paying them coderz counts as spreading around, methinks

3) Paying "bounties" to exchanges and services also counts as spreading around I hope.

I could start a twitter campaign to increase the spreading, but that reeks of spam, and I don't like that at all

Preferably now is limited by my relatively humble capacity at fixin' up linux makefiles. Worry not, I have already called for backup.

Feed the Lolcust!
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:05:12 PM

You keep saying that you're going to hire coders with the premined coins, but that you're also going to keep them off the market.  Both of these statements cannot be true.  I will continue to mine, because I was too late to the Bitcoin party and I think it's neat to watch a solo miner work, but ultimately, until you destroy the coins you're running a very real risk of seeing this in the near future...

[ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix2, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrecy with no premined coins

Your chain would die within 48 hours.
Lolcust (OP)

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:08:25 PM

You keep saying that you're going to hire coders with the premined coins, but that you're also going to keep them off the market.

Which part of "part is for coders and project-usefull stuffs, but the biggest part will be confined to a laundry buffer forever" do you find confusing ?

[ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix2, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrecy with no premined coins

Honestly, the name with 2 is lame. Ten0brix is funnier.

Your chain would die within 48 hours.

I can sort of relate to the distaste premining causes in some people (hence my agreement to voluntarily part with a solid chunk of Superfund and stuff it in an automatic dispenser for late adopters), but the "premining kills" argument simply does not correspond to what can be plainly seen.

Feed the Lolcust!
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 02:28:08 PM

The difference between diamonds and TBX is that DeBeers owns a ton of diamonds and the vast majority of diamond production.  It's owning production and setting the supply that lets them crank the price way up.
They could crash the market, but they can also withhold their diamonds and drive prices up.  It's not a good comparison to a massive premined coin stash unless you can raise the difficulty hugely on a whim.

Premined coins can crash the market, but they cannot drive the price up.

Plus who knows, if DeBeers burnt half a million pounds of diamonds maybe the price would skyrocket.

Right now TBX have no value, so paying out a bunch of coins from the premined pile isn't going to lower their value!

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 02:57:34 PM

I finally got it to mine Smiley , I think I deserve a bounty for being the most persistent Smiley

tDzvDjUWB4hiiipbZRACBk7B3rY6G85emP
Matoking

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2011, 02:59:54 PM

Mined about 825 TBX with my Q6600 now. I do like the concept of CPU-friendly mining algorithm.

Bitcoin-otc
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:08:17 PM

It is CPU friendly, my GPU is only having less than 1/2 the hashes of my CPU.  Interesting!
zillagod

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 03:12:21 PM

i've changed my mind on this, it's not 1 guy with 7million coins, it's a currency with an equivilent 3 year money supply for a laundry to facilitate anonymous transactions (one of bitcoins possible weaknesses).  If this laundry is used as a laundry it will actually add value to the currency, and i've become convinced Locust is serious about this laundry, well convinced enough to gamble what i've mined so far on it.  

That said I would still like to see a faucet with 1-2mil in it for non early adaopters, distributing it to the early miners seems entirely pointless to me(and i'm an early miner).

+1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: