Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:56:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365535 times)
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:05:46 PM

Is there a method for viewing real time hashspeed in windows? right now I'm using CPU miner as depicted in this guide, it is working and my pool is reporting approximately the hashrate I would expect, but it would be great to be able to see real time speed, so I could tweak/troubleshoot the devices when needed. If not in Windows, I could switch over to Xubuntu on my laptop and control the devices from there, if there is a way in linux...

Right now I have 3 devices (more arriving today), they are powered by a Corsair CX500 PSU, all 3 running off one PCIe 6pin plug. I have to say that right now they are pulling way more than the "8 watts" advertised in single mode scrypt... My Kill-aWatt meter is reading 170 watts  at the wall for the 3 pack (psu plugged into meter). Also, I have these running at 800 right now. At 850 I noticed some nonce errors, and a lower hash speed reported by the pool... and oddly enough, at 850 the units were pulling LESS wattage, about 120watts as opposed to 170 @ 800. And finally, thanks to those who put work into this guide, it's been real helpful!

Use this. No hassles!

http://cryptomining-blog.com/?s=Download+cpuminer+for+Gridseed+5-chip+GC3355+ASICs+with+Reduced+Power+Usage

Each GS5 will run at no more than 7 Watts in Scrypt Only mode! Usually less!

Enjoy!
Wolfey2014

Hmm... I feel like I'm getting on track here... Smiley There is reference to a "LTC_ONLY.bat" file, where is can I find that file?...

Also... are there any known drawbacks to using a WiFi connection for these setups? 

Always happy to help a fellow miner.

Hmm, well, I know one can make their own bat file and simply start each minerd action that way.
Is this what you're referring to?

Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jjj0923

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:06:56 PM

my gridseeds arrived this morning - just plug - no wire!

arghhh

well at least I have a cool wire stripper.

I forgot - what were you'all using - 18 awg for power on these guys?

thanks

Jeff

Lifeforce Pools : http://www.lifeforce.info
Earthcoin :http://eac.lifeforce.info -  Netcoin:  http://net.lifeforce.info - Hundred Coin Pool : http://100.lifeforce.info
Redoakcoin Pool : http://roc.lifeforce.info Guldencoin http://nlg.lifeforce.info also Worldcoin, Guncoin, NOBL, USDe, Tagcoin, Topcoin , Tagcoin , Credits, Goldcoin & Hobonickels
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:11:43 PM

arghhh

thanks

Jeff

What vendor? I was missing my PSU's and my USB cables from my order. Waiting for an update from the vendor.
I have several of the HP 1200W server PSUs from old G5 servers. I was thinking about trying to wire those up to the miners, since they provide 12V @ 100A.
If each miner (in dual mode) 70W, which is about 6A, then I could power up to 15 on a single PSU. I would probably have to wire everything to a terminal block, but that's no big deal.
Those PSU's are going for about $25 on ebay, so much cheaper than an ATX unit at the same wattage.
miaviator (OP)
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:11:54 PM

arghhh

thanks

Jeff

18 seems to be the standard being used by cablez and several others (myself included)

Yottabyte

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:22:27 PM

arghhh

thanks

Jeff

18awg worked for me
Yottabyte

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:29:31 PM

Is there a method for viewing real time hashspeed in windows? right now I'm using CPU miner as depicted in this guide, it is working and my pool is reporting approximately the hashrate I would expect, but it would be great to be able to see real time speed, so I could tweak/troubleshoot the devices when needed. If not in Windows, I could switch over to Xubuntu on my laptop and control the devices from there, if there is a way in linux...

Right now I have 3 devices (more arriving today), they are powered by a Corsair CX500 PSU, all 3 running off one PCIe 6pin plug. I have to say that right now they are pulling way more than the "8 watts" advertised in single mode scrypt... My Kill-aWatt meter is reading 170 watts  at the wall for the 3 pack (psu plugged into meter). Also, I have these running at 800 right now. At 850 I noticed some nonce errors, and a lower hash speed reported by the pool... and oddly enough, at 850 the units were pulling LESS wattage, about 120watts as opposed to 170 @ 800. And finally, thanks to those who put work into this guide, it's been real helpful!

Use this. No hassles!

http://cryptomining-blog.com/?s=Download+cpuminer+for+Gridseed+5-chip+GC3355+ASICs+with+Reduced+Power+Usage

Enjoy!
Wolfey2014

Hmm... I feel like I'm getting on track here... Smiley There is reference to a "LTC_ONLY.bat" file, where is can I find that file?...

Also... are there any known drawbacks to using a WiFi connection for these setups? 

Hmm, well, I know one can make their own bat file and simply start each minerd action that way.

Wolfey2014

One of the steps was: "- Download, edit and run LTC_ONLY.bat file from the modified cgminer 3.7.2 for Gridseed ASICs to start mining for LTC"... but I saw no download link... im not sure how to create a .bat from scratch for these, would you happen to have a working .bat file I could view as a reference? Smiley
pedrosoft

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:30:21 PM

Is there a guide to use bfgminer (scrypt only). Max stable freq ?
daemonfox

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:39:36 PM

Right now I have 3 devices (more arriving today), they are powered by a Corsair CX500 PSU, all 3 running off one PCIe 6pin plug. I have to say that right now they are pulling way more than the "8 watts" advertised in single mode scrypt... My Kill-aWatt meter is reading 170 watts  at the wall for the 3 pack (psu plugged into meter). Also, I have these running at 800 right now. At 850 I noticed some nonce errors, and a lower hash speed reported by the pool... and oddly enough, at 850 the units were pulling LESS wattage, about 120watts as opposed to 170 @ 800. And finally, thanks to those who put work into this guide, it's been real helpful!

Use this. No hassles!

Enjoy!
Wolfey2014

Wolfey2014

One of the steps was: "- Download, edit and run LTC_ONLY.bat file from the modified cgminer 3.7.2 for Gridseed ASICs to start mining for LTC"... but I saw no download link... im not sure how to create a .bat from scratch for these, would you happen to have a working .bat file I could view as a reference? Smiley

When you extract the cgminer 3.7.2 folder... inside is a file already named LTC_ONLY.bat... just modify to point to your pool and credentials.

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:43:00 PM

Use this. No hassles!

Enjoy!
Wolfey2014

Wolfey2014

That's just a pitch to the unwary to sucker them into using cgminer. IMO, cgminer and bfdminer are still too much of a pain in the ars to use because they are line code intensive and you have to learn coding, albeit a somewhat higher language than assembly. Still, so much to memorise. Check the threads on them. You'll find tons of config errors, troubleshooting and very few are actually running stably with them, without having to babysit them.

Skip all that mess and just use cpuminer if you want to get up and running in minutes instead of hours ,,, or years Cheesy!!!

Scrap that other stuff and use this,, only... http://cryptomining-blog.com/?s=Download+cpuminer+for+Gridseed+5-chip+GC3355+ASICs+with+Reduced+Power+Usage

Good luck!
Wolfey2014

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:52:13 PM

That's just a pitch to the unwary to sucker them into using cgminer. IMO, cgminer and bfdminer are still too much of a pain in the ars to use because they are line code intensive and you have to learn coding [...]

What?  Roll Eyes

Are you on drugs mate? Or maybe off drugs?

I mean if you prefer to run 40 cpuminer windows that's fine with me, just don't make it sound like your way is the only way.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:57:38 PM

That's just a pitch to the unwary to sucker them into using cgminer. IMO, cgminer and bfdminer are still too much of a pain in the ars to use because they are line code intensive and you have to learn coding [...]

What?  Roll Eyes

Are you on drugs mate? Or maybe off drugs?

I mean if you prefer to run 40 cpuminer windows that's fine with me, just don't make it sound like your way is the only way.

What kind of drugs do you have, man?

I did qualify my statement as In My Opinion 'IMO'....

Knee 'jerk' reaction there? Matey?

w

Yottabyte

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:57:51 PM

RE: daemonfox – Thank you for clarifying that, I understand now that the .bat file is included in the cgminer download package.

Re: wolfey – I will look into that cpuminer setup, it is definitely way better than the current setup I have where my seeds are pulling 50-60 watts each, this seems to directly address that issue, but I still would really like a way to monitor the hashrates of the seeds from my controller, and from what I understand cpu miner doesn’t do that….

Thanks again for the help its definitely appreciated... my other 7 seeds showed up today bringing me to 10 total, ill be playing with them tonight and report back Smiley
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 04:10:07 PM

RE: daemonfox – Thank you for clarifying that, I understand now that the .bat file is included in the cgminer download package.

Re: wolfey – I will look into that cpuminer setup, it is definitely way better than the current setup I have where my seeds are pulling 50-60 watts each, this seems to directly address that issue, but I still would really like a way to monitor the hashrates of the seeds from my controller, and from what I understand cpu miner doesn’t do that….

Thanks again for the help its definitely appreciated... my other 7 seeds showed up today bringing me to 10 total, ill be playing with them tonight and report back Smiley

Righty 'O'...
I agree and I had the same issue when I first started using cpuminer. No local hash rate.
But I decided the only real reason for monitoring the local hash rate is for testing purposes.
There's plenty of specs' out here that tell us what the local hash rates are at x frequency.
It's a raw figure. It's accurate but,,,, the local hash rate doesn't mean spit where the mining pools are concerned.
ONLY there is where your hash rate means something! It means, not just how hashy your hashers are hashing but it means how much money you're making from that pool as the hash rates given are averaged over all of your miners and divided accordingly across the total number if miners you have hashing away.
So, I am happy to see my hash rates where they count. At the mining pool.
And don't let others make you think that the pool's hash rates are completely inaccurate or false or hyped.
They aren't. They are simply the average rates, which is what you really want to see anyway.
After all, these things are made to make us money. Not give us homework! Wink
Wolfey2014

Yottabyte

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:25:34 PM

Righty 'O'...
I agree and I had the same issue when I first started using cpuminer. No local hash rate.
But I decided the only real reason for monitoring the local hash rate is for testing purposes.
There's plenty of specs' out here that tell us what the local hash rates are at x frequency.
It's a raw figure. It's accurate but,,,, the local hash rate doesn't mean spit where the mining pools are concerned.
ONLY there is where your hash rate means something! It means, not just how hashy your hashers are hashing but it means how much money you're making from that pool as the hash rates given are averaged over all of your miners and divided accordingly across the total number if miners you have hashing away.
And don't let others make you think that the pool's hash rates are completely inaccurate or false or hyped.
They aren't. They are simply the average rates, which is what you really want to see anyway.
Wolfey2014

One of my reasons for wanting to see local hashrate, aside from being able to tweak for max speed/stability, is that when running 10+ of these, I imagine it would be difficult to pinpoint an under-performing/defective unit, if all I have to go by is pool speed...
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 04:28:47 PM

Righty 'O'...
Wolfey2014

One of my reasons for wanting to see local hashrate, aside from being able to tweak for max speed/stability, is that when running 10+ of these, I imagine it would be difficult to pinpoint an under-performing/defective unit, if all I have to go by is pool speed...

Nope! Not an issue, at all..
I can monitor them just fine one by one on the pool side. Weak ones show up as do the strong ones.
You'll see. Like I say, they are pretty accurate, from my experience.
You can try www.litecoinpool.org to see what I mean.
Enjoy!
Wolfey2014

usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:07:54 PM

wolfey2014, just a question here.
It seems from other comments like you need to have 1 cpuminer process for each miner, or am I mis-reading things? Can you run all 20 miners from one cpuminer process?
I kinda like the cgminer in that the screenshots I have seen show it hosting multiple miners per session, and there's no extra work involved. It seems like it should work out of the box (for the modified version anyhow)...
Im already use to cgminer from my GPU rigs, and the ability to use cgwatcher/cgremote is desirable.

Just looking for thoughts on the pros/cons of which software to use...
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:13:31 PM

It seems from other comments like you need to have 1 cpuminer process for each miner, or am I mis-reading things? Can you run all 20 miners from one cpuminer process?
I kinda like the cgminer in that the screenshots I have seen show it hosting multiple miners per session, and there's no extra work involved. It seems like it should work out of the box (for the modified version anyhow)...
Im already use to cgminer from my GPU rigs, and the ability to use cgwatcher/cgremote is desirable.

I tried the bfgminer and thats what I am sticking with. No extra drivers needed to be installed.no Plug and prey. Shows hash rate. Cpuminer requires one instance per gridseed. Cgminer requires extra drivers be installed usually have to plug the gridseeds in after starting cgminer. plug and prey all the way. 

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
jjj0923

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 06:15:00 PM

will bfgminer run on the pi rasberry?

Lifeforce Pools : http://www.lifeforce.info
Earthcoin :http://eac.lifeforce.info -  Netcoin:  http://net.lifeforce.info - Hundred Coin Pool : http://100.lifeforce.info
Redoakcoin Pool : http://roc.lifeforce.info Guldencoin http://nlg.lifeforce.info also Worldcoin, Guncoin, NOBL, USDe, Tagcoin, Topcoin , Tagcoin , Credits, Goldcoin & Hobonickels
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:17:54 PM

will bfgminer run on the pi rasberry?

I am running it on windows. So not sure i know it started on linux or one of the other operating systems and was compiled for windows from there. Its bfgminer 3.10.0 for gridseed.

you can see if there is anything that will run from here

http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/bfgminer/

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 06:21:49 PM

Yeah. I'm only running 6 right now. Wish I had a lot more though.
And at some point, I'll probably go with a different program like bfdminer.
When you're running 20 or more of these things, I am sure having one instance / window per miner becomes a bit of a pain in the arss!

I just like cpuminer because it sets up quick and it's easy to understand and apply for newbs where others require a steeper learning curve and time, plus all the other debugging issues I find rather inconvenient if not unnecessary.

Just my .0025btc worth! Wink
Wolfey2014

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: