Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:04:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365540 times)
richmke

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:44:45 PM

So I'm really planning to go Gridseed, but want a to be certain to make the good move

on alot of other forums/chats they dont seem so hot about the Gridseed's saying that they are too expensive

and that a GPU will be better because it can be sold again etc etc etc..

But what I like the most is the low watt usage as kw/h here in spain is so high! I cannot see myself using a 1000w rig

I do have to reckon that our gridseeds will be more difficult to sell especially when difficulty rises, and if maybe a new gridseed comes out.

what is you guys realistic opinion?

Right now, it is marginally profitable with GPU, but totally profitable with Gridseed. Prices on GPU's are coming down because of the lack of profitability.

Yes, GPU's will retain some of their value, but when everyone is selling ...

If you have more than $2,000 to invest, then Gridseed is definitely the way to go. There are serious power and cooling issues when you try to scale up with GPU rigs.

My first miner was a GPU rig, since I already had most of the equipment, and only needed to add a gpu. I figured it was a cheap way to get a high end graphics card. I could not find a path to putting together more GPU rigs. Due to power and cooling constraints, Gridseed is the only way I can add more hashing power.

jamieb81

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:53:10 PM

So I'm really planning to go Gridseed, but want a to be certain to make the good move

on alot of other forums/chats they dont seem so hot about the Gridseed's saying that they are too expensive

But what I like the most is the low watt usage as kw/h here in spain is so high! I cannot see myself using a 1000w rig

I do have to reckon that our gridseeds will be more difficult to sell especially when difficulty rises, and if maybe a new gridseed comes out.

Right now, it is marginally profitable with GPU, but totally profitable with Gridseed. Prices on GPU's are coming down because of the lack of profitability.

If you have more than $2,000 to invest, then Gridseed is definitely the way to go. There are serious power and cooling issues when you try to scale up with GPU rigs.

My first miner was a GPU rig, since I already had most of the equipment, and only needed to add a gpu. I figured it was a cheap way to get a high end graphics card. I could not find a path to putting together more GPU rigs. Due to power and cooling constraints, Gridseed is the only way I can add more hashing power.

Thanks, yes I also have the problem with power being very expensive where I am, so looking at how much a gridseed uses is a big +

what would be the minimum amount of miner units to start with ?
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 11:55:59 PM

Ahh! Decisions decisions!
Those GPU people don't want you to know how bad they feel having spent on average, $1.00 per Kilo Hash to get 800KH/s performance. They also don't want you to know how bad they feel about their extremely expensive, fancy GPU's being used as glorified space heaters! They burn wattage like there's no tomorrow while our little beauties run nice and cool by comparison! Especially when we're only mining S-Crypt.
Our cost per KH/s is a LOT lower, our beloved GS5's run cooler, they cost less and they make more money on average than GPU's do. They don't require a motherboard, memory, CPU, etc. etc. to run. They sit all nice and pretty on practically any surface all by themselves. Oh, and they look really cool too!
Just my .00025btc...
Stick with the GS5's. They are your best bet IMO!
Wolfey2014 Wink

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8985

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:02:17 AM

marginally profitable with GPU

It depends a lot on where you are. GPU is more than marginally profitable at 0.10 USD/kWh, in fact the cost savings of using Gridseed instead of e.g. 750 Ti won't pay for it in a year, or maybe ever if you consider GPU resale value and its adaptability to alternative algorithms.
jamieb81

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:06:47 AM

I wish here it was that price, I'm paying 0.17$ and that's ex taxes and a whole bunch of other robbery.

so to get this cost effective would need to start right away with 10 units? or less will do?
miaviator (OP)
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:19:03 AM

I prefer GPU rigs.  $160=500Kh/s and I can build them rackable or pretty Smiley

I was shocked when I ran the leasing chart for gridseeds though .0029 B/Mh/Day after 1 year.  Hosting these things is cheap as can be compared to space power and hardware sucking GPU's

I'm still betting on another GPU wave just like last time.  GPU prices plummet as new scrypt asics are released.  GPU's start to flood on the market.  Things go along like BTC asic days.  Then Boom another set of algos or something random comes up and GPU value spikes again.  The addition of NVIDIA cards to mining should help the downturn and eventual upturn.

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:20:33 AM

$1.00 per Kilo Hash to get 800KH/s performance

Grin

Again with your random shit masked as facts.

By your logic people should have been buying R9 280X for $750 and R9 290 for $900, it was nowhere near that price point even at the height of the boom.

More realistically you would have paid $0.5 or less per KH/s, including all supporting infrastructure - motherboards, risers etc.

If someone was stupid enough to pay $1.0 per KH/s of GPUs then the same kind of people would be buying Gridseeds on eBay for $350.

I love Gridseeds for their relative simplicity, price however is not their strength. Especially with the recent drop in GPU prices.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:23:37 AM

I wish here it was that price, I'm paying 0.17$ and that's ex taxes and a whole bunch of other robbery.

so to get this cost effective would need to start right away with 10 units? or less will do?

I think even $0.17 is still in favor of GPU. I calculated a breakeven point a couple of weeks ago, and it was somewhere around $0.25 per kWh to make it worthwhile to replace all my GPUs with Gridseeds, but that was of course based on my assumptions about future profitability, exchange rates, ASCI development etc. YMMV.
jamieb81

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:29:23 AM

160$ for 500khs but without board, power supply and accessoiries etc.. plus at least 60w of power per gpu

true a gridseed is a bit expensive but it comes complete ready to hook up, that's nice.

like always the pro / con discussion hehe   Grin
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:35:23 AM

$1.00 per Kilo Hash to get 800KH/s performance

Grin

Again with your random shit masked as facts.

By your logic people should have been buying R9 280X for $750 and R9 290 for $900, it was nowhere near that price point even at the height of the boom.

More realistically you would have paid $0.5 or less per KH/s, including all supporting infrastructure - motherboards, risers etc.

If someone was stupid enough to pay $1.0 per KH/s of GPUs then the same kind of people would be buying Gridseeds on eBay for $350.

I love Gridseeds for their relative simplicity, price however is not their strength. Especially with the recent drop in GPU prices.

Jesus Christ SuckMoon! Give it a rest!
Again, my 'logic' .... no logic to it, idiot!
I base what I say on FACT! Not fiction!
I have a friend who paid not $800 but $900 for a super duper video card that runs at 800 bfd KH/s!
Anyway, quit wasting my time trying to be right...
Geesh!
Wolfey2014 ;p

Pea Ess, and I can KILL that $900 GPU with only 2 slightly overclocked GS3355 5 Chip GridSeed's at a fraction of the cost per KW/hr...nice and pretty!!!!..take that home and calculate it Cheesy.... ;p

jamieb81

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:36:52 AM

I think even $0.17 is still in favor of GPU. I calculated a breakeven point a couple of weeks ago, and it was somewhere around $0.25 per kWh to make it worthwhile to replace all my GPUs with Gridseeds, but that was of course based on my assumptions about future profitability, exchange rates, ASCI development etc. YMMV.

like I said 0.17$ is ex taxes so after all that the price would be around 0.28$kw

let's keep the discussion cool, I liked the gridseeds also for their kind and helping community here  Wink
DrTimoto

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:41:50 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 01:11:54 AM by DrTimoto

So the gridseeds allows me to mine both BTC and LTC? how much wattage does it use for both? and individually?
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:52:43 AM

I have a friend who paid not $800 but $900 for a super duper video card that runs at 800 bfd KH/s!
Geesh!
Wolfey2014 ;p

Pea Ess, and I can KILL that $900 GPU with only 2 slightly overclocked GS3355 5 Chip GridSeed's at a fraction of the cost per KW/hr...nice and pretty!!!!..take that home and calculate it Cheesy.... ;p

Aaah, that's ok then, you win the interwebs with your indisputable facts. I don't have a friend who paid $900 for something that you can "kill" with two Gridseeds...  Roll Eyes

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:55:09 AM

Geesh!
Wolfey2014 ;p

Aaah, that's ok then, you win the interwebs with your indisputable facts. I don't have a friend who paid $900 for something that you can "kill" with two Gridseeds...  Roll Eyes

Good boy! I knew you'd come around....  Cool

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:58:51 AM

like I said 0.17$ is ex taxes so after all that the price would be around 0.28$kw

At that point it's a tough choice, it all depends on how you see the future - is scrypt going to collapse due to ASICs, are scrypt alternatives going to feed the GPU market... I think if I was starting from scratch I would probably be getting as many Gridseeds as I could afford to get the best bulk pricing. If I had a GPU farm however I wouldn't be selling off but rather looking into alternatives (adaptive N-factor etc). And getting as many Gridseeds as I could afford. Grin
jgm_coin

Activity: 230

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:41:27 AM

For those still looking for power cables that work with gridseeds, I have adapter cables that power 1, 2, or 3 gridseeds using your PSU's 4-pin MOLEX power connector.  I test all the cables with my own gridseeds first and guarantee them to work.

Check them out here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511770.msg5650838#msg5650838

Rent out your rig for up to 100% more than you can mine http://tinyurl.com/lc5axo2
jamieb81

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:54:00 AM

For those still looking for power cables that work with gridseeds, I have adapter cables that power 1, 2, or 3 gridseeds using your PSU's 4-pin MOLEX power connector.  I test all the cables with my own gridseeds first and guarantee them to work.

Check them out here:

I was going to tell you to buy some shrink tubing, but I see that someone already did on your post
purp

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:44:42 AM

Running more than 2 Gridseeds on Windows 7 with cgminer causes the program to crash

Is anyone running cgminer on Windows with more than 2 gridseeds successfully?
jgm_coin

Activity: 230

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:03:16 AM

Check them out here:

I was going to tell you to buy some shrink tubing, but I see that someone already did on your post

I should have the shrink tubing by Friday Smiley

Rent out your rig for up to 100% more than you can mine http://tinyurl.com/lc5axo2
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:03:49 AM

Running more than 2 Gridseeds on Windows 7 with cgminer causes the program to crash

Is anyone running cgminer on Windows with more than 2 gridseeds successfully?

I was it works with 2 or more.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: