Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:43:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365540 times)
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:59:16 AM

Ok, time for my next dumb question...
Used Wolfie2014's recommendations and got GS miner running at 700 and generating mid-300 KH/s. Not bad, so I figure ill hook-up the second unit.
The first is on COM3, the second shows up on COM4. so, I modified the cpuminer bat file to use "-G COM3 -G COM4". After running about 1/2 hour, I noticed that the pool wasn't seeing any change in hash rate. I would have expected to see almost 700 KH/s from 2x GS miners.
Also, the green/red lights blink regardless of cpuminer running or not. Cpuminer is showing green nonces, and so-far no rejected shares from the pool, so accepted (over the last 1/2 hour) is 100%.
Am I being to simplistic in my assumption that all I had to do was add another "-G" flag to the minerd call? Is there some other trick involved to get the second miner working properly?
Im going to continue debugging by trying to mine on each GS separately and see if that works or if one is simply not working as expected.
Any other suggestions?

Where did you pick up the -G call in cpuminer. Is there a command list I don't know about? Please? Wink
I mean, using it twice in the same flag twice in the same line. Really?
It seems that if so, it would allow one to run at least 2 miners as a 'team' in one window instead of 2 separate instances in two separate windows.
Wolfey2014
Im use to unix commands such as 'sed' where you can specify multiple identical flags, for example "sed -e 'foo' -e 'bar' ...", so it didn't bother me at all to give it a try. Anyhow, it doesn't work. I was told by someone that you can only run 1 GS per cpuminer, so I fired-up multiple cpuminers each with it's own COM port, and that's working fine for now. Eventually I would like to use cgminer.
As for the -G option itself, I ran "minerd --help" to get various alternate (and shorter) options.
Seems like many of the double-dash arguments offer a single dash version...
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:59:36 AM

Ok, time for my next dumb question...
Used Wolfie2014's recommendations and got GS miner running at 700 and generating mid-300 KH/s. Not bad, so I figure ill hook-up the second unit.
The first is on COM3, the second shows up on COM4. so, I modified the cpuminer bat file to use "-G COM3 -G COM4". After running about 1/2 hour, I noticed that the pool wasn't seeing any change in hash rate. I would have expected to see almost 700 KH/s from 2x GS miners.
Also, the green/red lights blink regardless of cpuminer running or not. Cpuminer is showing green nonces, and so-far no rejected shares from the pool, so accepted (over the last 1/2 hour) is 100%.
Am I being to simplistic in my assumption that all I had to do was add another "-G" flag to the minerd call? Is there some other trick involved to get the second miner working properly?
Im going to continue debugging by trying to mine on each GS separately and see if that works or if one is simply not working as expected.
Any other suggestions?

Where did you pick up the -G call in cpuminer. Is there a command list I don't know about? Please? Wink
I mean, using it twice in the same flag twice in the same line. Really?
It seems that if so, it would allow one to run at least 2 miners as a 'team' in one window instead of 2 separate instances in two separate windows.
Wolfey2014
Im use to unix commands such as 'sed' where you can specify multiple identical flags, for example "sed -e 'foo' -e 'bar' ...", so it didn't bother me at all to give it a try. Anyhow, it doesn't work. I was told by someone that you can only run 1 GS per cpuminer, so I fired-up multiple cpuminers each with it's own COM port, and that's working fine for now. Eventually I would like to use cgminer.
As for the -G option itself, I ran "minerd --help" to get various alternate (and shorter) options.
Seems like many of the double-dash arguments offer a single dash version...

Cool.
I've always wanted to learn Unix-Linux. I do have a bit of uP programming under my belt, some assembly, machine and years ago, Windows.
I forgot about the --help call in cpuminer. Duh!

It just occurred to me. Wouldn't it be cool to have, as an option, all miners locally combined to equal one big hashing miner? What ever the number, you have them combined so they all receive work and report completed work 'yays' to the pool?
Instead of the pool seeing 10 different miners and combining and averaging them on that end, do it locally and have the pool see only 1 miner that is the equivalent of 10 hashers-hashing Wink Hah! Gives me an idea for a Christmas carrol. Right, I know, it's way too frikkin early for that crap! Cheesy
I wonder if this would yield higher overall completed shares?
Anyone hackers out there interested in trying out my theory?
Just an idear!
Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:04:34 AM

What about instead of using a Raspberry, would it not be an idea to run these on like the cheapest Intel NUC ?
those NUC like run something like 15watt
jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:10:50 AM

It just occurred to me. Wouldn't it be cool to have, as an option, all miners locally combined to equal one big hashing miner? What ever the number, you have them combined so they all receive work and report completed work 'yays' to the pool?
Instead of the pool seeing 10 different miners and combining and averaging them on that end, do it locally and have the pool see only 1 miner that is the equivalent of 10 hashers-hashing Wink Hah! Gives me an idea for a Christmas carrol. Right, I know, it's way too frikkin early for that crap! Cheesy
I wonder if this would yield higher overall completed shares?
Anyone hackers out there interested in trying out my theory?
Just an idear!
Wolfey2014

[/quote]

I have thought about something sililar yesterday.

Someone said that the miners run so cool that you would not even need fan nor heatsink, having just the board would also save up alot of space.

It would be awsome to find a way to connect for example 5 of these board together so that they work as a unit.

Like 5 Gridseeds, just one usb cable that connects them. Someone that could do this could make like a gridseed V2 @ 2000KH/s

this would be amazing
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:36:20 AM

What about instead of using a Raspberry, would it not be an idea to run these on like the cheapest Intel NUC ?
those NUC like run something like 15watt

If that would fix the daisychain problems with USB hub depth, I would be in Wink
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:42:27 PM

So I fashioned my own power plugs with the barrel connectors and some molex adapters that came with my video card. Yellow In the + and black for the - then plugged them to a molex cable from my psu

They power my gridseeds but they don't get any accepted shares, I switched one to a regular power brick and it hashes and works fine. Any ideas?
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:48:58 PM

So I fashioned my own power plugs with the barrel connectors and some molex adapters that came with my video card. Yellow In the + and black for the - then plugged them to a molex cable from my psu

They power my gridseeds but they don't get any accepted shares, I switched one to a regular power brick and it hashes and works fine. Any ideas?

Did you double-check that you are actually getting 12V out the end of the barrel plug?

I had some weird things on mine. First off, I used exising power brick which has 5.5/2.5 and found it didn't fit very well, was very loose.

I noticed that when I plugged in the USB, that the lights came on (red/blue) and I could see it in Windows and start cpuminer, but the fan wasn't running and also wasn't getting any shares.
Tried re-positioning the barrel plug to get the fan working, restarted cpuminer and then it was working.
Could be that it kinda looks like it's running just from USB only but unless you get good 12V on the barrel plug it won't run properly.
jjj0923

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:54:41 PM

I bought 20 GS's and split them between 2 750W power supplies because hopefully this afternoon I will crank up dual mining - if the IT gods cooperate

Lifeforce Pools : http://www.lifeforce.info
Earthcoin :http://eac.lifeforce.info -  Netcoin:  http://net.lifeforce.info - Hundred Coin Pool : http://100.lifeforce.info
Redoakcoin Pool : http://roc.lifeforce.info Guldencoin http://nlg.lifeforce.info also Worldcoin, Guncoin, NOBL, USDe, Tagcoin, Topcoin , Tagcoin , Credits, Goldcoin & Hobonickels
gsupp

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:10:39 PM

Instead of the pool seeing 10 different miners and combining and averaging them on that end, do it locally and have the pool see only 1 miner that is the equivalent of 10 hashers-hashing

lol, cgminer does this. That's why so many of us want to use cgminer and not 50 instances of cpuminer.  Roll Eyes
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:35:30 PM

Did you double-check that you are actually getting 12V out the end of the barrel plug?

I had some weird things on mine. First off, I used exising power brick which has 5.5/2.5 and found it didn't fit very well, was very loose.

I noticed that when I plugged in the USB, that the lights came on (red/blue) and I could see it in Windows and start cpuminer, but the fan wasn't running and also wasn't getting any shares.
Tried re-positioning the barrel plug to get the fan working, restarted cpuminer and then it was working.
Could be that it kinda looks like it's running just from USB only but unless you get good 12V on the barrel plug it won't run properly.

I dont know how to check that?

for mine they just flash green lights when I have them plugged into the molex adapters I made, they show up in CGminer just fine and show a speed of 360 each, but they dont actually start accepting shares.

Is it possible that my molex adapters are not providing enough power?

or the PSU's molex cable isnt up to par?
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8982

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 05:53:53 PM

I dont know how to check that?

for mine they just flash green lights when I have them plugged into the molex adapters I made, they show up in CGminer just fine and show a speed of 360 each, but they dont actually start accepting shares.

Is it possible that my molex adapters are not providing enough power?

or the PSU's molex cable isnt up to par?

Use a multimeter. One probe on the outside, the other inside the barrel plug. Also check continuity between the yellow molex wire and the center of the barrel plug, and between black wire and the outside. Molex connector is fine up to 4 miners in scrypt mode.
jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

I have a very thin tip 40watt soldering iron, will this be ok to put some lead on the tip and make the bridge between points? or 40w is too much?
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 07:02:48 PM

Instead of the pool seeing 10 different miners and combining and averaging them on that end, do it locally and have the pool see only 1 miner that is the equivalent of 10 hashers-hashing

lol, cgminer does this. That's why so many of us want to use cgminer and not 50 instances of cpuminer.  Roll Eyes

Can someone else using cgminer confirm this claim? lolololololololololrofllololteeheeheeheehee

BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:07:25 PM

Can someone else using cgminer confirm this claim? lolololololololololrofllololteeheeheeheehee

Yes. I have all 20 of my gridseeds pointed at 1 instance of a built from source cgminer on ubuntu.
jjj0923

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 07:19:33 PM

I have a very thin tip 40watt soldering iron, will this be ok to put some lead on the tip and make the bridge between points? or 40w is too much?

just crank it up to 900 - I have

forget that soldering thing - unless you wanna take the chance of nuking $250

Earthcoin :http://eac.lifeforce.info -  Netcoin:  http://net.lifeforce.info - Hundred Coin Pool : http://100.lifeforce.info
Redoakcoin Pool : http://roc.lifeforce.info Guldencoin http://nlg.lifeforce.info also Worldcoin, Guncoin, NOBL, USDe, Tagcoin, Topcoin , Tagcoin , Credits, Goldcoin & Hobonickels
jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:26:37 PM

just crank it up to 900 - I have

forget that soldering thing - unless you wanna take the chance of nuking $250

850 seems to be the best when the GS is stock, 900 stock you get HW errors no?
jjj0923

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 07:33:59 PM

sure I get a few HW errors, but my reported hash rates are higher so I'll roll with it.

higher hash rates = more moolah!

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 07:34:32 PM

Yes. I have all 20 of my gridseeds pointed at 1 instance of a built from source cgminer on ubuntu.

So are you solo mining or pool mining?
What does their end see? All 20 individual miners reporting hash rates and shares or...
only 1 instance / 1 miner reporting the sum total of hashes and shares of all 20 miners - AS ONE miner?

Please specify.
Thanks
w2014

jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:38:40 PM

sure I get a few HW errors, but my reported hash rates are higher so I'll roll with it.

higher hash rates = more moolah!

moolah is good Wink
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:52:48 PM

So are you solo mining or pool mining?
What does their end see? All 20 individual miners reporting hash rates and shares or...
only 1 instance / 1 miner reporting the sum total of hashes and shares of all 20 miners - AS ONE miner?

Please specify.
Thanks
w2014
I'm running on ScryptGuild.com as one worker. On the cgminer instance it shows each gridseed with it's hashrate. This is standard, like when you have any multiple of gpu, fpga, asics, ect. These are all connected via USB to one laptop running ubuntu.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: