Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:20:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
Exther2

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:04:02 PM

As question is simple, I'll answer simple.
If I want to stash it for next 40 years and who knows what's going to be in next 40 years I would buy gold.
Gold have no dependency. Bitcoin does. If there is no internet, you cant use it. If there is no electric, you cannot use it.
But, if I want to use it now or in next few years, Bitcoin looks good and planet looks safe.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rayhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

be your self

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 02:37:11 AM

yaa for one case maybe choose gold, (it's where we might go back to ancient times..lol) but seen from the times in which the Internet has become a major necessity than food lol then i choose bitcoin

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 03:07:40 AM

It may be uncool to admit it but I just can't get excited about gold as an investment. I'd like to own some because it looks pretty but that's about it. Anything with an ATH that took place 35 years ago is too sluggish for me.

BTC all the way for me. We dunno where it'll head but I'm willing to follow the ride where it takes me.
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 04:59:27 AM

A difficult choice. Gold is probably harder to sell nowadays than Bitcoin and much harder to hold and transport. I'd have to constantly worry that my brick gets stolen. Bitcoin on the other hand can be kept safe on paper wallets and multiple encrypted drives. The problem with it however is that the technology may be replaced by something better. I'd probably play big and risk it all with Bitcoin. It has much greater chance of gaining value.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 06:09:37 AM

A difficult choice. Gold is probably harder to sell nowadays than Bitcoin and much harder to hold and transport. I'd have to constantly worry that my brick gets stolen. Bitcoin on the other hand can be kept safe on paper wallets and multiple encrypted drives. The problem with it however is that the technology may be replaced by something better. I'd probably play big and risk it all with Bitcoin. It has much greater chance of gaining value.

I would agree to a certain degree that gold is somewhat harder to transport, but is it really harder to hold? It can't be stolen remotely (principally, unlike bitcoin), though it can be stolen from your home, but your paper wallets and encrypted drives can be stolen this way as well. The fact that the robber won't be able to use your bitcoins is a cold comfort. You may say that you know your keys by heart, good for you, but why then would you need your paper wallets in the first place?

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 02:55:55 PM

It may be uncool to admit it but I just can't get excited about gold as an investment. I'd like to own some because it looks pretty but that's about it. Anything with an ATH that took place 35 years ago is too sluggish for me.

BTC all the way for me. We dunno where it'll head but I'm willing to follow the ride where it takes me.
Do you actually own the gold in your house or you own a paper that says you have x ozs of gold stored somewhere miles away from you?
manwithat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 02:58:29 PM

This debate has not end.

Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 05:34:06 PM

I would agree to a certain degree that gold is somewhat harder to transport, but is it really harder to hold? It can't be stolen remotely (principally, unlike bitcoin), though it can be stolen from your home, but your paper wallets and encrypted drives can be stolen this way as well. The fact that the robber won't be able to use your bitcoins is a cold comfort. You may say that you know your keys by heart, good for you, but why then would you need your paper wallets in the first place?

We are talking about all our wealth here, so for a number of people this will mean a whole bag full of jewelry, coins or bars. It's not that easy to hide and if someone decides to steal it he can immediately sell it, or even melt and recast. Bitcoin on the other hand is secured with a password, so the thief won't be able to steal it that easily. If you have 3 copies in 3 different places and one of them gets stolen you'd be able to use one of the remaining to access your funds and move to a new address before the thief cracks the password.
Also unlike physical gold, they won't be able to steal some of your coins while leaving the rest, hoping you won't check and count. They either control the address or not.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 05:42:10 PM

We are talking about all our wealth here, so for a number of people this will mean a whole bag full of jewelry, coins or bars. It's not that easy to hide and if someone decides to steal it he can immediately sell it, or even melt and recast. Bitcoin on the other hand is secured with a password, so the thief won't be able to steal it that easily. If you have 3 copies in 3 different places and one of them gets stolen you'd be able to use one of the remaining to access your funds and move to a new address before the thief cracks the password.
Also unlike physical gold, they won't be able to steal some of your coins while leaving the rest, hoping you won't check and count. They either control the address or not.

"A number of people" you make reference to here (which hold bags full of bars and coins) do not keep their gold at home. There are specialized high-security bank vaults for keeping gold in bullion banks. The gold in these vaults is also typically insured at that...

tyrexs

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 07:05:57 PM

for longtime investment im choice gold but bitcoin is good too for investment

CryptoStake

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:01:32 AM

I would invest bitcoin to get gold. After the gold obtained, then the next step is to invest in bitcoin and gold, as both an investment asset that I think is very advantageous in that both will co-exist if the void between gold and bitcoin.
twn
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:29:26 AM

gold is more secure. its so hard to dump or pump on gold.
bitcoin is more profitable.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 09:02:07 AM

The high price volatility of bitcoin doesn't unconditionally mean that you will be able to profit by it. Bitcoin being more prone to pump and dump is determined by its market cap. Gold is hard to pump and dump because the gold market is huge in comparison with that of bitcoin...

twn
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:01:15 AM

The high price volatility of bitcoin doesn't unconditionally mean that you will be able to profit by it. Bitcoin being more prone to pump and dump is determined by its market cap. Gold is hard to pump and dump because the gold market is huge in comparison with that of bitcoin...
actually u saying what im saying
in gold u cant dump pump with 10m dollars. but in bitcoin u can.
in gold its so hard to get %5 profit or lose in a day.
in bitcoin in a regular day %5 profit or lose happening.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 10:30:31 AM

actually u saying what im saying
in gold u cant dump pump with 10m dollars. but in bitcoin u can.
in gold its so hard to get %5 profit or lose in a day.
in bitcoin in a regular day %5 profit or lose happening.

In strict terms, you're not correct about not being able to get 5% profit daily (or loss, for that matter). As far as I know, all major precious metal exchanges support margin trading. So, if you are trading on margin, you can easily earn (and as easily lose) even more than that (or even go bust)...

Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:45:42 AM

The best and obvious answer is to get both.

Personally I like BTC as it allows me to take advantage of the high volatility. If someone is only buying to store, gold is a much better option as it is almost sure to be valuable. BTC, on the other hand have an uncertain future regardless how much we like and believe in it.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:48:20 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this is an excellent explanation on why Gold is deprecated compared to Bitcoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPIvqJsCOSo

Excellent video for newbies as well.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:20:19 PM

i prefer investing in bitcoin as it has huge long term potential. easy choice.
gold isn't bad but returns are not worth waiting for if you ask me.
twn
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 07:52:23 AM

i prefer investing in bitcoin as it has huge long term potential. easy choice.
gold isn't bad but returns are not worth waiting for if you ask me.
just when u are in gold u dont need to keep tracking everyday everyhour but in bitcoin you need.
i have some gold and even sometimes for a month im not checking gold prices but for bitcoin in a day at least every 2-3 hour im checking the prices
Josef27

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:00:17 AM

Bitcoin

I can easily buy stuff with the trader that offer payment in bitcoin, theres a lot now!
With gold, uh... Can I get my exchange easily after buying stuff? Who accept gold as payment on most of my favorite stuff? It just hard to manage.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: