Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:38:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:07:39 AM

The Bitcoin supply is, in fact, limited and finite. It is set to reap immediate benefits going forward when it comes to supply and demand, the most basic sound money concept. No worries about mere fiat currency principles like inflation or deflation. You can chart the amount of digital currency in circulation at any time in the future.

There is a finite number of bitcoins but they are infinitely divisible so are they really rare?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:11:49 AM

The Bitcoin supply is, in fact, limited and finite. It is set to reap immediate benefits going forward when it comes to supply and demand, the most basic sound money concept. No worries about mere fiat currency principles like inflation or deflation. You can chart the amount of digital currency in circulation at any time in the future.

There is a finite number of bitcoins but they are infinitely divisible so are they really rare?

infinitely divisible? when we are at 1 satoshi you're done, there no more dividend, and in fact this could be a problem if one satoshi in a distant future will be worth too much like 1 dollar or more
markj113
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:02:35 PM

infinitely divisible? when we are at 1 satoshi you're done, there no more dividend, and in fact this could be a problem if one satoshi in a distant future will be worth too much like 1 dollar or more

Quite easy to add a few more decimal places.
Silly Money

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 02:22:03 PM

Bitcoin is far superior in my opinion. Gold has it's real world uses don't get me wrong, but as an investment and currency bitcoin will likely dwarf it in the future. It's already much better as a currency, but I'm sure it will surpass it in investment value soon enough.

Exactly, and this is what would happen if it became a problem, but I think we're a long way off from that and we should be so lucky  Cheesy.

dodgecharger

Activity: 1005
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:32:27 PM

Both are good tool for investments and but need to diversify the investments part in bitcoin and part in gold as you never know about the future so either any one of them would prove to be an profitable investment in future.
torrentheaven

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:38:37 PM

Both are good tool for investments and but need to diversify the investments part in bitcoin and part in gold as you never know about the future so either any one of them would prove to be an profitable investment in future.

Yes Diversification is the best option. As if you suffer losses from one product you can recover it from the other. And future is uncertain, anything is possible either you earn profits or may be losses that depends on the future and also the luck factor but both are good products for investment.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:13:22 PM

random modification like this to bitcoin are not tollerated, even bitcoin.org report this, there must be a valid point to do it, so unless like i've said 1 satoshi will be worth a tons, no one will accept a change like that, like they will not accept the remove of the 21M market cap
Cowabunga

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:41:59 PM

There is no better in this instance. It all depends on your risk aversion. As is mentioned countless time in this thread; generally speaking gold tends to be quite stable while bitcoin is very volatile. Based on this premises (which is merely my humble opinion) you should ask yourself what your investment strategy is. If you want to take a speculative stance you could probably go with BTC (chances are rather SMALL that you would make BIG profits), however if you go with gold your investment portfolio would probably behave less crazy (chances are rather BIG that you would make SMALL profits). All in all, it depends on your appetite for risk.

This being said it seems that both investment-products SEEM to behave similarly in that they mimic currency hedges. The recent financial turmoil causes relatively scarce (im-)materials to go up in value (the market signalling that it does not like too much risk). This however is not a substitute for individual risk-aversion but rather tools to understand how different products might behave in different investment/ economic scenarios.

Personally I'm a big believer in the idea of bitcoin; rather than the trading-tools we now use for exchange -which on a large-scale sense- depreciate with every breath we take, bitcoin cannot be tampered with given its finite nature. This means that nobody can influence its value if BTC would be the incumbent trade-token in the world. In my view purchases which are made currently shift in value in both the currency and the product while in world where we all use bitcoin it would only be the product that loses value. Let's do this thought experiment;

If you were to live in Europe and you purchase a US made product you'll trade your EURO for a DOLLAR at the spot price of the sale. If the EURO would devaluate in one week time and you look back at your purchase t+1week you would have made a deal that you cannot reproduce a week later as you will need to pay more euros to obtain the same amount of dollars. If there is only one 'currency' however there would not be a devaluation as you there is nothing to devaluate against. In this case we'll leave the depreciation of the product for what it is (you would not buy the retailprice for the Iphone 4 when it came out because you can buy an Iphone 5 for the same price given both options at the same time).

I'll end my jibber jabber on this note; if you want to feel the thrill of investment pick up a few bitcoins and get the excitement of a volatile product. In my view this 'disruptive' innovation (OH NO HE DIDN'T - yes I did just ripped this marketing biscuit) might just make it and revolutionize human trading as we see it today. If not, do what everyone does; diversify *snore*

(sorry for the long post)
pigzone

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 09:26:58 PM

Of course golf it is pretty
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 12:35:59 PM

Lol you are a bit out hahahha, golf is a sport and not a currency like bitcoin. Bitgold made gold a bit spreadable
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:16:46 PM

Lol you are a bit out hahahha, golf is a sport and not a currency like bitcoin. Bitgold made gold a bit spreadable

LOL..But gold being more traditional people have more faith in gold as compared to the bitcoins. As the older generation have never heard or used bitcoins so they would definitely prefer to invest in gold rather then taking a risk by investing in bitcoins.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:39:51 PM

LOL..But gold being more traditional people have more faith in gold as compared to the bitcoins. As the older generation have never heard or used bitcoins so they would definitely prefer to invest in gold rather then taking a risk by investing in bitcoins.

Personally i didnt know that existed ever a site where you can sell and buy gold like the bitgold. But i dont like them lol
pigzone

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 04:26:25 PM

Gold is shiny and looks pretty if your that type of character where you fund happiness and comfort from physical stuff lke gold then it is better for you
mearylll

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:24:09 PM

Gold is shiny and looks pretty if your that type of character where you fund happiness and comfort from physical stuff lke gold then it is better for you

Gold is always better if you compare it with bitcoin. As people have more faith in gold and it is more popular as compared to the bitcoins. So people would prefer more to invest in gold especially the older generation as they don't know anything about the bitcoins.
bitcoinmar

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:55:51 PM

Gold is always better if you compare it with bitcoin. As people have more faith in gold and it is more popular as compared to the bitcoins. So people would prefer more to invest in gold especially the older generation as they don't know anything about the bitcoins.
Gold is all time great thing but now Bitcoin is also going in this field with good and solid way hope this will be popular as gold in near Future
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:47:38 AM

All that shines isn't glitter so all the people stating that Gold is really good, it might not be so good in the coming years. You think things don't change? Trillion dollar stocks crashed and a major ancient country defaulted on a loan (fuck a bailout), you know shit's for real now. I'd rather keep my crypto sorted and go digital in this war, because even a 12 yr old kid will choose gold :*
markj113
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:54:24 AM

Gold removes all third party risk.  You hold it in your hands, its yours and requires no other input.  You can sell, barter and trade at will completely off grid.

Bitcoin requires -

Digital device to store the coins.
Bitcoin network to process the transactions.
Network connection.
Connection to electricity grid.
Secure encryption (sha256)
Exchanges used to establish BTC value

If any of these dependencies go down or get hacked your screwed and all those electronic digits become meaningless overnight.

All that shines isn't glitter so all the people stating that Gold is really good, it might not be so good in the coming years. You think things don't change? Trillion dollar stocks crashed and a major ancient country defaulted on a loan (fuck a bailout), you know shit's for real now. I'd rather keep my crypto sorted and go digital in this war, because even a 12 yr old kid will choose gold :*

You do realise that countless empires and civilizations have risen and fallen over the last few 1000 years and gold is still as highly sought after today as it was back then.

madonnino

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 10:17:40 AM

What about invest in gold whit bitcoin? I have a 20% on gold and 80% on bitcoin
GreenStox

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:04:35 PM

Now dont tell me that you dont own gold at all. Everyone of us here own some gold products, be that a ring or necklace or just a few coins.

But i was telling here that gold is not a currency, it isnt. That doesnt mean that  i cannot have gold at home.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:21:00 PM

Gold removes all third party risk.  You hold it in your hands, its yours and requires no other input.  You can sell, barter and trade at will completely off grid.

The ever increasing and more advanced fakery certainly adds a healthy chunk of third party risk. Actually getting someone else to accept your gold in exchange for something is likely to be a hard sell too beyond a hard core.

Once you step beyond what you can hold in your hands it becomes vapour along with all the other financial products.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: